Major incident in Sydney

New Town Loafer

New Town Loafer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68805401

Crowds have fled a Sydney shopping mall after reports of multiple stabbings and a possible shooting sparked a major police response.

Local media reported gunshots inside Westfield mall at Bondi junction.

Police said a critical incident had been declared following the shooting of a male just before 16:00 local time (07:00BST; 08:00GMT) after reports of multiple stabbings.

(BBC)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• JudyJudyJudy

• Ulysses

• hughesie27

Daktari

BBC breakfast news is already doing my head in with constant repetition. My wife came in and I told her in about twenty seconds what they had been repeating for the last hour.

Oda be a JT

Bad enough going for randoms but ffs a nine month old baby 😢

thehibsareintheirbeds

Sounds pretty fortunate an officer was close by and able to respond so quickly. Stories of folk fighting him off as well. Horrific stuff. Just doesn't make any sense 

hughesie27
4 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

What's racist about it I called the religion peace loving?

Man doesn't comprehend "undertones".

Hagar the Horrible
22 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Well done to the police woman who shot the ******* 

She was on her own, a true hero. I Hooe she realises she saved lives rather than be burdened by being forced to take one.

ArcticJambo

Could she have tazered him (assuming she has a tazer)? It would have been a calculated risk of course but had they taken him alive there might be some answers as to 'Why?'

He didn't look that mobile, nor did she tbqh so aye, I've have probably used lethal force and shattered his femurs.

26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You are out of order with that post with its racist and/or Islamaphobic undertones.

Would you be happy if every murder by someone of the same ethnicity or religion as yourself was likened to you in the same fashion.

Best just to sweep it under the carpet and pretend that there isn't a consistent pattern with these type of attacks. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Could she have tazered him (assuming she has a tazer)? It would have been a calculated risk of course but had they taken him alive there might be some answers as to 'Why?'

He didn't look that mobile, nor did she tbqh so aye, I've have probably used lethal force and shattered his femurs.

No . Shot him dead like the animal he is 

29 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You are out of order with that post with its racist and/or Islamaphobic undertones.

Would you be happy if every murder by someone of the same ethnicity or religion as yourself was likened to you in the same fashion.

It's not racist. Jeezo.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Best just to sweep it under the carpet and pretend that there isn't a consistent pattern with these type of attacks. 

Oh I know .  

Such a shame that the racists on here don't give a stuff about innocent lives being lost. Not when they can have a go at the FM and Muslims. They really can't help themselves 

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Such a shame that the racists on here don't give a stuff about innocent lives being lost. Not when they can have a go at the FM and Muslims. They really can't help themselves 

Fair point - let those suddenly bothered about atrocities and innocent lives lost now they're white folk like them have their thread for thoughts and prayers 

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy

Shame the terrorist apologists on this can’t show any respect for the victims of this horrendous crime but deflect it yet again to people being “ racists “ for speaking the truth . Have a word with yourself 

hughesie27
31 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

What pattern?

No rational person claims, “All Muslims are terrorists!”  This is patently false.  But due to double standards and the frequent, selective and biased media reporting of sensationalist violence, many might think, “Most terrorists are Muslims!”  Contrary to the stereotype, this too is false.

The truth is that the number of acts of terrorism committed by misguided Muslims—in violation of clear Quranic texts and established Islamic principles—is only a tiny fraction of the violence committed in our world.  That is why Islamophobia, the fear of Islam and Muslims, is irrational.  It is not based in reality, as the following statistics from Europe, America, Australia and the world show.

Statistics on Terrorism in Europe

According to official data from Europol, the European Union’s law enforcement agency, in the 4 years between 2011 and 2014 there were 746 terrorist attacks in Europe.  Of these, only eight were religiously-inspired, which is 1% of the total.[i]  But even the perpetrators of these acts were not all Muslim.

‘Religiously inspired’ includes Islamist extremists, as well as Christians, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists who were motivated by (perverted forms of) their religion to hurt others.[ii]

…. in 2013, there were 152 terrorist attacks in Europe.  Only two of them were “religiously motivated”, while 84 were predicated on ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs.[iii]

Before 2011, Europol categorized terrorist attacks differently, but the statistics paint a similar picture:

Between 2006 and 2010, member states recorded 2,131 terrorist attacks in the EU and only eight were “Islamist”. For those of you keeping score, that means Muslim terrorists were responsible for a meagre 0.3 percent of EU terrorism during those years. [iv]

Statistics on Terrorism in the USA

The Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) documented 2,400 terrorist attacks in the United States from 1970 to 2012.  Of these,

…. approximately 60 were carried out by Muslims.  In other words, approximately 2.5% of all terrorist attacks on US soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.  This is a tiny proportion of all attacks.[v]

An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on US soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims.[vi]

According to the “Muslim-American Terrorism in 2013” study conducted by the University of North Carolina,

Since 9/11, Muslim-American terrorism has claimed 37 lives in the United States, out of more than 190,000 murders during this period.” [vii]

In other words, American Muslims have killed less than 0.0002 percent of those murdered in the USA during this period.  We are safer living among Muslims who have a religious obligation to protect minorities than we are among amoral criminals or citizens who have no regard for the lives of others

maroonedinoz
35 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

NSW police are trained to shoot a minimum twice in the chest area to neutralise any threat.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What pattern?

No rational person claims, “All Muslims are terrorists!”  This is patently false.  But due to double standards and the frequent, selective and biased media reporting of sensationalist violence, many might think, “Most terrorists are Muslims!”  Contrary to the stereotype, this too is false.

The truth is that the number of acts of terrorism committed by misguided Muslims—in violation of clear Quranic texts and established Islamic principles—is only a tiny fraction of the violence committed in our world.  That is why Islamophobia, the fear of Islam and Muslims, is irrational.  It is not based in reality, as the following statistics from Europe, America, Australia and the world show.

According to official data from Europol, the European Union’s law enforcement agency, in the 4 years between 2011 and 2014 there were 746 terrorist attacks in Europe.  Of these, only eight were religiously-inspired, which is 1% of the total.[i]  But even the perpetrators of these acts were not all Muslim.

‘Religiously inspired’ includes Islamist extremists, as well as Christians, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists who were motivated by (perverted forms of) their religion to hurt others.[ii]

…. in 2013, there were 152 terrorist attacks in Europe.  Only two of them were “religiously motivated”, while 84 were predicated on ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs.[iii]

Before 2011, Europol categorized terrorist attacks differently, but the statistics paint a similar picture:

Between 2006 and 2010, member states recorded 2,131 terrorist attacks in the EU and only eight were “Islamist”. For those of you keeping score, that means Muslim terrorists were responsible for a meagre 0.3 percent of EU terrorism during those years. [iv]

The Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) documented 2,400 terrorist attacks in the United States from 1970 to 2012.  Of these,

…. approximately 60 were carried out by Muslims.  In other words, approximately 2.5% of all terrorist attacks on US soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.  This is a tiny proportion of all attacks.[v]

An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on US soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims.[vi]

According to the “Muslim-American Terrorism in 2013” study conducted by the University of North Carolina,

Since 9/11, Muslim-American terrorism has claimed 37 lives in the United States, out of more than 190,000 murders during this period.” [vii]

In other words, American Muslims have killed less than 0.0002 percent of those murdered in the USA during this period.  We are safer living among Muslims who have a religious obligation to protect minorities than we are among amoral criminals or citizens who have no regard for the lives of others

I’m sure all those stats will be of great comfort to the victims families . Thanks for sharing . 

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, maroonedinoz said:

NSW police are trained to shoot a minimum twice in the chest area to neutralise any threat.

yeah, I'm sure it's the official policy on most police forces.

He raised his knife, she shot him! Seems a bit boring really. Dynamic situation but why not joust a bit. A wee bit of Tom & Jerry never hurt anyone. :thumbsup:

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m sure all those stats will be of great comfort to the victims families . Thanks for sharing . 

Islamophobia is perfectly rational if you just don't ike muslims, no?

Surely it's up to an individual to choose, based on any number of factors relevant to them, whether they don't like any particular group.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, il Duce McTarkin said:

Islamophobia is perfectly rational if you just don't ike muslims, no?

Surely it's up to an individual to choose, based on any number of factors relevant to them, whether they don't like any particular group.

I’m not particularly keen on any religion which would throw me or my mates off the highest building .

JudyJudyJudy

Apparently the area had a large concentration of Jewish people . 

IMG_8108.thumb.jpeg.42cae6a9b9f4c359ed2ff8458fcec5f8.jpeg

Sorry to be callous but will we see more attacks like this and are they Iranian backed .

Reprisals in a softer sense?

That sounds bad as well.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, TallPaul said:

Horrible situation. I wonder if the person responsible is another follower of that peace loving religion like our First Minister?

:facepalm:

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, TallPaul said:

Horrible situation. I wonder if the person responsible is another follower of that peace loving religion like our First Minister?

I see you've run out of intelligence on yet another topic. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Police are saying that the motive was not terrorist related and this nutjob was known to police.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Police are saying that the motive was not terrorist related and this nutjob was known to police.

Confirmation on the BBC website.

Offender was a 40-year-old man known to police

Commissioner Webb is now going into the details that police know about the offender and say he was a 40-year-old man who was known to police.

"We know a little bit about this person but are waiting to confirm his identification," she says.

She adds that police do not have fears that he was "holding an ideation - in other words it is not a terrorism incident. He is known to law enforcement," she adds.

"Let me assure you that we are confident that there is no ongoing risk and we are dealing with one person who is now deceased," Commissioner Webb says.

highlandjambo3
57 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

yeah, I'm sure it's the official policy on most police forces.

1 hour ago, maroonedinoz said:

It’s called centre of mass.  

I’ve shared many a range day with police armed response units, I’ve never met any shooters that don’t aim for the centre of mass.  Shooting the bad guys gun out of his hand is reserved for Hollywood.

hughesie27
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I wasnt the one who brought religion into the attack on the assumption it was a Muslim. 

Not jumping the gun and pointing the finger isn't being a "terrorist apologist" as you put it.

Going by the reports it appears that the guybdoes infact fit the "pattern". That pattern being that most of these attacks aren't carried out by religious nut jobs.

We will agree on one thing though I'm sure. Religion in all its colours is a ****ing fairytale 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Not that old chestnut again ? I expect the 

“ mental health” card to be played too . Mind you you can’t be of sound mind to commit that atrocity . Glad he is shot dead 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Not that old chestnut again ? I expect the 

“ mental health” card to be played too . Mind you you can’t be of sound mind to commit that atrocity . Glad he is shot dead 

Nutjob was my word. I've no idea about what the exact motivation for this act was but he was clearly deranged.

Five women and one man dead with others critical in hospital, including a 9 month baby, is sickening.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nutjob was my word. I've no idea about what the exact motivation for this act was but he was clearly deranged.

Five women and one man dead with others critical in hospital, including a 9 month baby, is sickening.

Yip apologies I jumped the gun .

milky_26
10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

It’s called centre of mass.  

I’ve shared many a range day with police armed response units, I’ve never met any shooters that don’t aim for the centre of mass.  Shooting the bad guys gun out of his hand is reserved for Hollywood.

IIRC the centre of mass is for a few reasons

larger target so easier to hit (compared to head, hand etc)

lower probability of a ricochet or the bullet exiting the target and if it did that would possibly endanger others around

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nutjob

Agreed

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I wonder if his murders were " agrravated" by hate ?

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

IIRC the centre of mass is for a few reasons

larger target so easier to hit (compared to head, hand etc)

lower probability of a ricochet or the bullet exiting the target and if it did that would possibly endanger others around

First point is correct, I’ve never considered the second point nor have I met anyone who has.  I’m not discounting that chain of thought but, with a split second to make a decision to save life’s I’d imagine you’d still pull the trigger, any secondary outcome from a bullets trajectory would be an accident.

John Findlay

I'm just glad the perpetrator was shot dead. Couldn't give a toss for the colour of their skin or for any religion they may have practised.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

milky_26
10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

First point is correct, I’ve never considered the second point nor have I met anyone who has.  I’m not discounting that chain of thought but, with a split second to make a decision to save life’s I’d imagine you’d still pull the trigger, any secondary outcome from a bullets trajectory would be an accident.

I'm not saying that would be in their thoughts when firing, but would be part of the reasoning with the training they would be recieving about where to target

jambo89

Shame the terrorist apologists on this can’t show any respect for the victims of this horrendous crime but deflect it yet again to people being “ racists “ for speaking the truth . Have a word with yourself 

Terrorist apologists? It isn't being treted as terror by police. The guy (who appears to be white) was wearing an Aussie rules football top. Would it not be the very definition of racist to blame brown people for soemthing commited by white people.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Fair point - let those suddenly bothered about atrocities and innocent lives lost now they're white folk like them have their thread for thoughts and prayers 

That was just a noise.

Apparently the area had a large concentration of Jewish people . 

IMG_8108.thumb.jpeg.42cae6a9b9f4c359ed2ff8458fcec5f8.jpeg

Where are you / they getting this information. I've not seen anywhere that this was an islamist attack. Do you have a link.

2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

What pattern is this?

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I'm not saying that would be in their thoughts when firing, but would be part of the reasoning with the training they would be recieving about where to target

Ok, so where else would they target if not the centre of mass?

like I’ve said, I’ve met plenty of shooters, *gun clubs, snipers, police and they all shoot at the centre of mass.  Only Hollywood snipers do head shots.

* with the exception of target shooting for points

Wouldn't be JKB without folk confirming themselves as the morons they are.

Thoughts go out to the victims. Well done the police officer. No doubt saved many more injuries and lives.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This just shows that people shouldn't believe the utter shite on the cesspool that is Twitter.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

The guy (who appears to be white) was wearing an Aussie rules football top. Would it not be the very definition of racist to blame brown people for soemthing commited by white people.

I didnt know it was only white people who could wear aussie rules football tops?

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

What pattern?

That's 10 years old, any updated stats? 

And nobody suggested "all Muslims are terrorists" so goodness knows where you got that from.

jambo89
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I didnt know it was only white people who could wear aussie rules football tops?

Where did I say only white people could wear Aussie rules football tops? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It was actually an NRL top, the Australian national team. Not that that is relevant at all.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

That's 10 years old, any updated stats? 

And nobody suggested "all Muslims are terrorists" so goodness knows where you got that from.

Yep and yep.  Those stats are well out of date