Major incident in Sydney

New Town Loafer

jambo89
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It was actually an NRL top, the Australian national team. Not that that is relevant at all.

It was relevant in my initial post to highlight that, unlike James’ initial post, the attacker is more likely from Australia than Palestine. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• JudyJudyJudy

• Ulysses

• hughesie27

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

It was relevant in my initial post to highlight that, unlike James’ initial post, the attacker is more likely from Australia than Palestine. 

Given that the police have explicitly ruled out terrorism, it is now irrelevant.

The amount of shit idiots spewed when the news broke was appalling. One classic was calling for the guy to be deported when he was, er, dead. ****wit central.

Jim_Duncan
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Given that the police have explicitly ruled out terrorism, it is now irrelevant.

The amount of shit idiots spewed when the news broke was appalling. One classic was calling for the guy to be deported when he was, er, dead. ****wit central.

Don’t give the Tories any inspiration about how to get folk into those Rwanda flights.  

Edited by Jim_Duncan

Terrible for the victims and their families. I’m going to be a bit boring and wait for the facts from official sources. A bit old fashioned but it’s better than jumping to conclusions that might not be true. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Tazio said:

Terrible for the victims and their families. I’m going to be a bit boring and wait for the facts from official sources. A bit old fashioned but it’s better than jumping to conclusions that might not be true. 

Exactly

Roxy Hearts
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m not particularly keen on any religion which would throw me or my mates off the highest building .

It's absolutely heartbreaking Triple J what's happened in Sydney. Innocent people dead because of 

some nutter. I've not read too much about it as my faith in humanity is diminishing! 

On the religious side, I do wonder if the world would be a safer place if it wasn't for that white, Christian PM who made his statement on WMD!

There's still issues in a certain part of the UK with its religious, Christian sectarianism. Religion should be about peace, faith and spirituality, but instead some people use it as an excuse for the opposite!

redjambo

Kudos to the police officer who shot the bugger dead.

Less kudos to the salivating Pavlovian posters on here who jumped on the terrorist bandwagon before finding out the facts, and also the poster who, when others pointed this out, called those posters "terrorist apologists".

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Kudos to the police officer who shot the bugger dead.

Less kudos to the salivating Pavlovian posters on here who jumped on the terrorist bandwagon before finding out the facts, and also the poster who, when others pointed this out, called those posters "terrorist apologists".

Better waiting until all the facts are released. It won't be the first time the police have released a statement saying they don't believe an attack was "terror related" and then it turns out to be exactly that. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Better waiting until all the facts are released. It won't be the first time the police have released a statement saying they don't believe an attack was "terror related" and then it turns out to be exactly that. 

Yes perhaps I should have waited until the full facts are out . They aren’t as yet . Or for a story to be concocted. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Yes perhaps I should have waited until the full facts are out . They aren’t as yet . Or for a story to be concocted. 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

🤣🤣🤣

redjambo
1 minute ago, Sir PH said:

Agreed, it is indeed better waiting. And then taking a nuanced and intelligent look at the information and the reasons/background behind the attack, rather than adopting any knee-jerk reactions to it. The number one approach to incidents to these, after taking care of those affected, is to try and minimise the possibility of them recurring. In the end though, sadly, there's not much that can be done on the ground to prevent someone, with mental issues or not, going on a killing spree like this, apart from having alert officers and guards close to highly frequented areas. The key will probably be in paying attention to the warning signs leading up to it, of which there are almost always some - it becomes an intelligence-gathering issue.

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

FFS! The police have already said the guy was known to them. So when they've ruled terrorism out already, it infers they know a lot more about him and what he was like.

Catch a grip of yourself.

JudyJudyJudy
52 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's absolutely heartbreaking Triple J what's happened in Sydney. Innocent people dead because of 

some nutter. I've not read too much about it as my faith in humanity is diminishing! 

On the religious side, I do wonder if the world would be a safer place if it wasn't for that white, Christian PM who made his statement on WMD!

There's still issues in a certain part of the UK with its religious, Christian sectarianism. Religion should be about peace, faith and spirituality, but instead some people use it as an excuse for the opposite!

Yes Roxy . It just really depresses me when incidents like this happen 

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

FFS! The police have already said the guy was known to them. So when they've ruled terrorism out already, it infers they know a lot more about him and what he was like.

Catch a grip of yourself.

As I said. I'll wait until things settle and ALL the facts are released. 

2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

And then when the report comes out certain people will claim that ALL the facts haven’t been released. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

And meantime, you will hope beyond hope that it is some sort of terrorist incident, which it isn't as the police have ruled out.

Meantime, there are six people dead and more gravely ill. Maybe think about them before playing more fecking nudge, nudge games over Islamic terrorism.

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And meantime, you will hope beyond hope that it is some sort of terrorist incident, which it isn't as the police have ruled out.

Meantime, there are six people dead and more gravely ill. Maybe think about them before playing more fecking nudge, nudge games over Islamic terrorism.

And you told me to catch a grip? 

Brilliant. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

And you told me to catch a grip? 

Brilliant. 

Sorry, but given that it has been the big news story here tonight, having someone blatantly ignore information for their own warped agenda is disgusting.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sorry, but given that it has been the big news story here tonight, having someone blatantly ignore information for their own warped agenda is disgusting.

I've posted absolutely nothing to suggest I'd hope it was terror related. My thoughts are solely with the victims and their families. I've just read the story of the young mum that passed away but managed to throw her baby to safety. Utterly heartbreaking.

So take your preconceptions and shove them where the sun don't shine.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I've posted absolutely nothing to suggest I'd hope it was terror related. My thoughts are solely with the victims and their families. I've just read the story of the young mum that passed away but managed to throw her baby to safety. Utterly heartbreaking.

So take your preconceptions and shove them where the sun don't shine.

Of course you haven't.

9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Of course you haven't.

That's about the only thing you've got right on this thread.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Aye, apart from quashing the pish speculation with fact.

Thunder and Lightning
5 hours ago, Daktari said:

BBC breakfast news is already doing my head in with constant repetition. My wife came in and I told her in about twenty seconds what they had been repeating for the last hour.

You know you can turn the TV over, right? 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

You are on the wrong message board. 

3 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Best just to sweep it under the carpet and pretend that there isn't a consistent pattern with these type of attacks. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Exactly

2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

And once again with meaning

Best just to sweep it under the carpet and pretend that there isn't a consistent pattern with these type of attacks. 

hughesie27
4 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Where are you / they getting this information. I've not seen anywhere that this was an islamist attack. Do you have a link.

He doesn't care about sources. Some random on twitter said he was a Muslim. That's enough to spout his narrative. 

Daktari
3 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

You know you can turn the TV over, right? 

Yes, but I wanted news, not a cooking programme  on BBC2. Fair enough they had to cover it but there was endless filing while there was no new facts or information coming out. When you have experts filling the airtime with 'it's likely that' or 'I think that', then it isn't news any more. Symptom of the 24 hour news channels unfortunately. They have to say something to fill the time.

8 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Yes, but I wanted news, not a cooking programme  on BBC2. Fair enough they had to cover it but there was endless filing while there was no new facts or information coming out. When you have experts filling the airtime with 'it's likely that' or 'I think that', then it isn't news any more. Symptom of the 24 hour news channels unfortunately. They have to say something to fill the time.

As Noam Chomsky said (I’m paraphrasing) 24 hour news has killed the art of concision in journalism. 

Sleepy head
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Shame the terrorist apologists on this can’t show any respect for the victims of this horrendous crime but deflect it yet again to people being “ racists “ for speaking the truth . Have a word with yourself 

Well said. Islamaphobia isn't even a real bloody thing. Just a label thrown at people who rightly call out Islamist atrocities.Islamists are different to the secular muslim and are even hated and hounded out by some muslim countries as they are intent on theocracy not democracy. To all the knicker wetting liberals on this thread. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Edited by Sleepy head

I spent a couple of days working at the K Mart at Bondi Junction.

Thoughts and prayers etc xx

Footballfirst

Extracts from the latest update.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68810428

A knife-wielding man who killed six people in a Sydney shopping centre before being shot dead has been identified by Australian police.

Joel Cauchi, 40, walked through the crowded Westfield Bondi Junction complex on Saturday afternoon, fatally wounding five women and a man.

Authorities say the attack was most likely "related to the mental health of the individual involved".

He said Mr Cauchi, who was from Queensland, was previously known to police and had bought a storage unit in Sydney.

The assistant commissioner reiterated that the attacker did not appear to be motivated by "any particular ideology or motivation"

Geoff Kilpatrick

So perhaps people might actually realise that the police statement on Saturday night our time where terrorism was ruled out was because police had information on him.

The whole thing is tragic.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Sleepy head said:

Well said. Islamaphobia isn't even a real bloody thing. Just a label thrown at people who rightly call out Islamist atrocities.Islamists are different to the secular muslim and are even hated and hounded out by some muslim countries as they are intent on theocracy not democracy. To all the knicker wetting liberals on this thread. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And it looks like this guy was Aussie and more than likely not Muslim. Dive in though.

Ulysses
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Dive in though.

I have already. :laugh: :runaway:

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

I have already. :laugh: :runaway:

No, no. We need ALL the facts, including the bullshit ones made up on social media.

:facepalm:

BREAKING: NSW Police name Bondi Junction attacker — 40 year old Queensland man Joel Cauchi (not 'Benjamin Cohen', as discredited sources claimed). Man known by police to suffer from mental health and this matter is being treated as a mental health incident (not terrorism).

Ulysses
27 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No, no. We need ALL the facts, including the bullshit ones made up on social media.

:facepalm:

Fake Noodles!  :laugh: 

One of the victims is the daughter of a very famous businessman here in Oz (John Singleton).  The mother of the baby has also sadly died.  Five of those who died were women and the only man to be killed was a security guard.  The police are thinking he was targeting women - the "high proportion of female victims is one of the lines of inquiry being pursued by investigators."

Watching some of the video on the news, the guy looked totally spaced out.

I am glad he was shot dead.  

I am also glad there are brave people in the world who were willing to put themselves in danger to protect others (bystanders - not just the police).  There is a guy in a white t-shirt who had a standoff with the killer on the escalator.  I would like to think I'd have done the same, but I am not sure I would have.

Edited by Sydney

Geoff Kilpatrick
39 minutes ago, Sydney said:

One of the victims is the daughter of a very famous businessman here in Oz (John Singleton).  The mother of the baby has also sadly died.  Five of those who died were women and the only man to be killed was a security guard.  The police are thinking he was targeting women - the "high proportion of female victims is one of the lines of inquiry being pursued by investigators."

Watching some of the video on the news, the guy looked totally spaced out.

I am glad he was shot dead.  

I am also glad there are brave people in the world who were willing to put themselves in danger to protect others (bystanders - not just the police).  There is a guy in a white t-shirt who had a standoff with the killer on the escalator.  I would like to think I'd have done the same, but I am not sure I would have.

This.

Now coming out the guy has been treated for schizophrenia since he was 17. My only fear now is this stigmatises mental illness.

cosanostra
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

This.

Now coming out the guy has been treated for schizophrenia since he was 17. My only fear now is this stigmatises mental illness.

Got to wonder how many other guys there are out there with similar medical histories and close to snapping.

There will be some Dr's and healthcare workers who worked with this guy who are going through hell right now too.

Sleepy head
5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And it looks like this guy was Aussie and more than likely not Muslim. Dive in though.

wasn't my assumption. I was only responding to an established thread which gave out that message. In which, I made the valid point that he would have been Islamist not merely muslim. So, not exactly diving in.

Geoff Kilpatrick
18 minutes ago, Sleepy head said:

wasn't my assumption. I was only responding to an established thread which gave out that message. In which, I made the valid point that he would have been Islamist not merely muslim. So, not exactly diving in.

Cool. An "established" pile of pish more like.

hughesie27
7 hours ago, Sleepy head said:

Nobody on this thread is defending any extremist though. Just pointing out that the automatic assumption by a few on here that the attacker would be a follower of Islam is narrow minded at best. Racist at worst. 

Why would anyone even bring Islamic atrocities into this thread before any facts other than "Man stabs and kills multiple people in Shopping centre"? 

Rhetorical question.

Put that in your shisha and smoke it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

PS A tad ironic given some of the content on this thread that the security guard who was stabbed to death was a Muslim.

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Nobody on this thread is defending any extremist though. Just pointing out that the automatic assumption by a few on here that the attacker would be a follower of Islam is narrow minded at best. Racist at worst. 

Why would anyone even bring Islamic atrocities into this thread before any facts other than "Man stabs and kills multiple people in Shopping centre"? 

Rhetorical question.

Put that in your shisha and smoke it.

And why do you think that is?