The split - fixtures announced!

Jim_Duncan

Phil D. Corners
14 hours ago, lost in space said:

What I like about the split is the Hobos targeting top 6 - almost making it - and then usually hibsing it, meaning their season is over in early April.

Hilarious.

This. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Harry Potter

• soonbe110

• Sooks

Phil D. Corners
14 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I like the split.

I also like the split. I sadly don’t think we market it enough. This weekend could be really interesting to find out who the big teams are and who a wee teams.  I don’t feel we sell it.

Top 6 bragging rights gives all teams something to play for. 

hmfc_liam06
39 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I also like the split. I sadly don’t think we market it enough. This weekend could be really interesting to find out who the big teams are and who a wee teams.  I don’t feel we sell it.

Top 6 bragging rights gives all teams something to play for. 

We don’t market anything, other than the OF derby of course.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Bungalow Bill said:

I also like the split. 

Aye its superb not knowing who you are playing till the last minute, great idea.

Really plenty time to organise.

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Barry Hearn called it. 

SFA/SPFL absolutely asleep at the wheel. 

Ron Burgundy

Only in Scotland could the 7th place team potentially end up with more points than the Champions. ( obviously stretching it but it is possible )

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Jim_Duncan
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye its superb not knowing who you are playing till the last minute, great idea.

Really plenty time to organise.

Some of us have to plan games around our work and other commitments, but as it stands, I'm not sure I'll be able to get to any post-split fixtures. Nonsense.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Only in Scotland could the 7th place team potentially end up with more points than the Champions. ( obviously stretching it but it is possible )

When I see te final table and this happens it's laughable. 

RobbofordGHC
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

How could this happen ??

Fxxx the SPFL

I think the Swiss cheese league also has a split 

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

11 minutes ago, RobbofordGHC said:

How could this happen ??

In reality it wouldn’t but mathematically I guess it’s possible. Just weird to extreme view to make a point really. 

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I think the Swiss cheese league also has a split 

Aye a poster mentioned it, not that it makes any odds to us, its a system that does not work.

Edited by Harry Potter

redjambo
5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye a poster mentioned it, not that it makes any odds to us, its a system that does not work.

It works fine, it's just that you don't like it.

RobbofordGHC
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

In reality it wouldn’t but mathematically I guess it’s possible. Just weird to extreme view to make a point really. 

Ah right, I thought so. Use something that’s never been close to happening and never will happen to ridicule the league. The splits not perfect, but the best solution to the reality we have. Meaningful games for pretty much all teams right through to the last few rounds of fixtures.

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They could... but they are still bottom six club.   

Ron Burgundy
47 minutes ago, RobbofordGHC said:

Ah right, I thought so. Use something that’s never been close to happening and never will happen to ridicule the league. The splits not perfect, but the best solution to the reality we have. Meaningful games for pretty much all teams right through to the last few rounds of fixtures.

Ridicule a league that is set up for two teams to dominate and suck dry. Not me.

The split is the best solution in your opinion. Not mine. I'd prefer an extended league and play each other home and away. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

When I see te final table and this happens it's laughable. 

I always imagine some football guy/girl in Spain/anywhere else,  looking at league tables around Europe and thinking 🤔 WTF is going on here. Must be a typo. Then doing the arithmetic and getting more confused.

RobbofordGHC
18 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Ridicule a league that is set up for two teams to dominate and suck dry. Not me.

The split is the best solution in your opinion. Not mine. I'd prefer an extended league and play each other home and away. 

I am old enough to remember the larger league. Outside of the 50s it was dominated by two teams. Clubs, like our own, played meaningless games from January onwards and the paying public stopped coming even though football was relatively cheap and hardly ever televised. Our crowds struggled to get over 10k and even the old firm played to sub 25k crowds.

There was a reason reconstruction was voted in and the set up now is probably the best option we have come up with, in my opinion.

brownkg
18 minutes ago, RobbofordGHC said:

I am old enough to remember the larger league. Outside of the 50s it was dominated by two teams. Clubs, like our own, played meaningless games from January onwards and the paying public stopped coming even though football was relatively cheap and hardly ever televised. Our crowds struggled to get over 10k and even the old firm played to sub 25k crowds.

There was a reason reconstruction was voted in and the set up now is probably the best option we have come up with, in my opinion.

I am also of an age but I fundementally disagree with you. For the benefit of any team outwith the bigot brothers a way has to be found to enlarge the league so that clubs only play those two twice , once home and once away. Playing them 7 or 8 times a season s a major handicap to a competitive league. In a worse case scenario starting with a deficit of 12 points as opposed to 24 is better for everyone except them.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

lol, it does not work, uneven home and away games with some teams, 10 teams , 36 games, twice home and away , that works, im sure your at the wind up,

and the waiting till next thursday {maybe } to find out the last five games, joke.

Edited by Harry Potter

RobbofordGHC
6 minutes ago, brownkg said:

I am also of an age but I fundementally disagree with you. For the benefit of any team outwith the bigot brothers a way has to be found to enlarge the league so that clubs only play those two twice , once home and once away. Playing them 7 or 8 times a season s a major handicap to a competitive league. In a worse case scenario starting with a deficit of 12 points as opposed to 24 is better for everyone except them.

Respect your opinion, however what was the major handicap in the 75 years (for example) before reconstruction when the league was similarly dominated by two teams, other than perhaps the 50s as I previously mentioned??

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, redjambo said:

How exactly does a system where some teams play 18 home, 20 away, others play 20 home, 18 away, others 19 home, 19 away and others play some teams 3 times away or 3 times at home work fine exactly?!  It’s farcical but the clubs are to blame for voting this nonsense in.  The problem was expanding from 10 teams to 12.  Should have left it at 10 or increased to 18.   

On 10/04/2024 at 17:18, hmfc_liam06 said:

I like the split.

So do I, couldn't care that it benefits the arse cheeks 

4 hours ago, Dazo said:

It's a daft statement though. It's like complaining because a rugby team won the consolation cup and the losing finalists never got a trophy despite finishing 2nd.

3 hours ago, RobbofordGHC said:

Correct.

Edit: I should add that I don't think it will matter what we do, 2 teams will always dominate.

Edited by cazzyy

redjambo
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How exactly does a system where some teams play 18 home, 20 away, others play 20 home, 18 away, others 19 home, 19 away and others play some teams 3 times away or 3 times at home work fine exactly?!  It’s farcical but the clubs are to blame for voting this nonsense in.  The problem was expanding from 10 teams to 12.  Should have left it at 10 or increased to 18.   

Every system has its costs and benefits. In my opinion, the split has more benefits than costs. It keeps everything more interesting, gives the teams more to play for. Far fewer middle-of-the-table, meaningless matches. You obviously disagree, fair enough.

Genuinely surprised that so many people like the split . Blows my mind really , it is total dugshit imo

jr ewing
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Back to 10 then. 

Hearts_fan
On 11/04/2024 at 08:23, hmfc_liam06 said:

The Glasgow derby is all it is ;)

Ah another split thread... Yes bin it, it's pathetic. Decision doesn't lie with us though. It's down to SPFL and clubs but far too many (didi) clubs just happy to keep the status quo.

tian447
On 11/04/2024 at 13:43, RobbofordGHC said:

How could this happen ??

It is mathematically possible, and stupidly unlikely. All teams on more or less the same points after 33 games. 33 draws would be a nightmare for goal difference and head to head, so say 32 draws before the split and one single game where the teams win or lose.  Even something like everyone with a record around W11 D11 L11, with a very small deviation elsewhere would work.  Then the team in 7th wins their 5 remaining games, and the Champions only win 2 and draw the rest. 

In the first example, the Champions would have 35 points before the split, 44 points at the end of the season, and the team in 7th would have 32 points before the split, and 47 after it despite still being in 7th.

It would never, ever happen. But it could. 

Tommy Brown
On 10/04/2024 at 23:28, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

If we have to persist with the nonsense of 12 teams and 4 gruesome games for TV then a far simpler way is 3 x 11 and then 1 more fixture as a "derby" fixture for everyone. Gives everyone 17 home games, allows a full fixture list to be set at the start of the season and keeps the broadcasters happy. Flawed? Yes, but less so than the current farce.

What a ridiculous idea.

But I actually really like it 

Tommy Brown
On 11/04/2024 at 18:16, Fozzyonthefence said:

Understand your take on it.

I have suggested that the top six, play each other as they should.

Ie we play Rangers, St M & Dundee at home. Celtic and Killie away.

This would actually gives us 20H and 18A. But each of the top 6 and bottom 6 are equal against each other.

Seems fairer 

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 11/04/2024 at 13:25, cazzyy said:

So do I, couldn't care that it benefits the arse cheeks 

Wait, what?

schillaci
On 10/04/2024 at 18:58, Day@theraces said:

Time for an 18 - 20 team league with 34-38 games. Make for a tighter league.

Yes. I still think it is the biggest controllable factor that favours the OF. A wage cap would deal with the other, but that will never happen again. 

VALDOS'
On 10/04/2024 at 16:35, Jim_Duncan said:

Thanks. 

Sorry, didn’t realise it’s been done plenty of times. Not sure why we can’t just play each team four times?

I'd be up for that and scrap the League cup

Gmcjambo
On 11/04/2024 at 12:00, Ron Burgundy said:

Except Hibs are now effectively in a different league from the would be Champions, and us - until next season.  Can't compare points from this point on due to top and bottom teams playing different standard of teams.    Not a fan of the split thought,  but can't compare end of season points difference,  only points difference now.      Anyway - another marvellous Hibsdit moment today!  

Tommy Brown
54 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Except Hibs are now effectively in a different league from the would be Champions, and us - until next season.  Can't compare points from this point on due to top and bottom teams playing different standard of teams.    Not a fan of the split thought,  but can't compare end of season points difference,  only points difference now.      Anyway - another marvellous Hibsdit moment today!  

Yip

And Hibs could win all 5 post split matches (they wont) and Hearts could lose all 5 (we wont) and they will still be nowhere near catching us.

SwindonJambo

As we've had 17 homes & Dundee 16, I think we're looking at a 3rd trip to Dundee with homes v the Midden & Dangers only.

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

As we've had 17 homes & Dundee 16, I think we're looking at a 3rd trip to Dundee with homes v the Midden & Dangers only.

Agree. I don't really know why they couldn't have the fixtures ready to publish as soon as the top 6 is confirmed. There were only 3 possible outcomes, why not have 3 scenarios ready to go.  Allow fans to start making plans as early as possible.

SwindonJambo
12 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Agree. I don't really know why they couldn't have the fixtures ready to publish as soon as the top 6 is confirmed. There were only 3 possible outcomes, why not have 3 scenarios ready to go.  Allow fans to start making plans as early as possible.

I'm hoping to make the Midden home game but have no clue when it will be. Given where I live I have to plan my Tynie trips in advance, book leave etc

soonbe110
2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Maybe but adding the obvious outstanding fixtures to the top 6 means that none  of the 6 have a 19/19 split so other changes could happen. As an example if we go to Paisley a third time then both us and St.Mirren would be 19/19. If Rangers go to Dens a third time (poetic justice) that would be both of those clubs 19/19. And if Killie go to Parkhead a third time that would leave Killie and Celtic on 19/19. 
No idea if that’s how it will play out but with the SPFL the simplest solutions usually don’t materialise. 

soonbe110
53 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Lot more than three scenarios possible if all six teams are to finish with 19 home and 19 away games. TV games also need to be factored in. 

Edited by soonbe110

Saint Jambo
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Lot more than three scenarios possible if all six teams are to finish with 19 home and 19 away games. TV games also need to be factored in. 

Before today it was down to 3 scenarios in terms of which teams make up the top 6 -Dundee/Well/Hibs. For each of those scenarios there are then choices to make but no reasons those choices couldn't have been made during the week to allow fixtures to be published as soon as the top 6 was finalized.

soonbe110
18 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Before today it was down to 3 scenarios in terms of which teams make up the top 6 -Dundee/Well/Hibs. For each of those scenarios there are then choices to make but no reasons those choices couldn't have been made during the week to allow fixtures to be published as soon as the top 6 was finalized.

Don’t think it’s as easy as that. I agree it should be announced quicker than it is usually.  

Am I right in thinking our 5 fixtures will be 

Rangers and St Mirren at home

Celtic, Kille and Dundee away ?

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, ramrod said:

Am I right in thinking our 5 fixtures will be 

Rangers and St Mirren at home

Celtic, Kille and Dundee away ?

Correct should be out tomorrow 

Ski Nae
4 hours ago, Gmcjambo said:

What about... at this point, all teams in the bottom 6 are automatically deducted 16 points. This would make it arithmetically impossible for the 7th placed team to finish with more points than the 6th placed team. A bit humiliating. Granted. 

Benny Factor
32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe but adding the obvious outstanding fixtures to the top 6 means that none  of the 6 have a 19/19 split so other changes could happen. As an example if we go to Paisley a third time then both us and St.Mirren would be 19/19. If Rangers go to Dens a third time (poetic justice) that would be both of those clubs 19/19. And if Killie go to Parkhead a third time that would leave Killie and Celtic on 19/19. 
No idea if that’s how it will play out but with the SPFL the simplest solutions usually don’t materialise. 

Since the split was introduced, there are only 2 teams that have had an even amount of home and away games every season. No need to guess which 2 they are.

• davemclaren changed the title to The split - fixtures announced!