The split - fixtures announced!

Jim_Duncan

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Quite ironic, most of us find it a horrible league, yet the "success" of it has seen it copied in other countries in Europe and Asia

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Harry Potter

• soonbe110

• Sooks

Mikey1874
24 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Maybe delaying it also as Dundee could go above St Mirren with an unlikely 5 goal swing against Rangers. Guessing that will be the decider as to who gets us or Rangers at home again. 

It's about whether Rangers get beat changing date Celtic can win league. 

Harry Potter

Whens the fixtures out for the last 5 games, been over 48hrs since top 6 was decided😕.

must be difficult right enough.

Rockwell
5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Whens the fixtures out for the last 5 games, been over 48hrs since top 6 was decided😕.

Thursday I think. Holding it up until Dundee game on wed .as you can't possibly have the OF game as a league decider 

jr ewing
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Would have thought playing it first would have covered it. 

Fozzyonthefence
6 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Quite ironic, most of us find it a horrible league, yet the "success" of it has seen it copied in other countries in Europe and Asia

I’m pretty sure other countries in Europe already had a split but we didn’t copy any of them, instead we made an arse of it.  And I’d be surprised if any other league has copied our shambles as there are much better ways to make a split work. 

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Would have thought playing it first would have covered it. 

Aye but thats common sense, and we cant have that now.

Pasquale for King

Absolute joke that they are waiting until after Wednesday to publish the fixtures, even the fans of the uglies need to know when to book trips from Ireland. Businesses need to know also. They will no doubt have to put the next OF match 1st or 2nd weekend just in case so get on with it ffs. 

9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The reason explained. Need to know when to schedule Old Firm game

Post split fixtures would normally be released by tomorrow - but due to the postponed game they won't be out until after the Dundee v Rangers game on Wednesday 

🦌 I suspect this is because Rangers lost to Ross County yesterday. The Old Firm game would probably have been Sunday May 5th (2nd game of the split)

🏆 However were Rangers to lose to Dundee & lose their first post split game while Celtic win theirs - Celtic could then win the league if the Old Firm was on Sunday 5th May which they will look to avoid

If Rangers don't lose on Wednesday then the league can't be won on the 2nd split fixture (May 5th) and so that's when the Old Firm game is likely to be.

It ****s me off that the above complete and utter nonsense even has to come in to consideration . Just **** this stupid split in the bin and stop being so ****ing stupid . Can you imagine being someone from another country where they do things rationally and properly and reading steaming pile of horseshit 

Marcus Cicero

There's no good reason for delay in setting dates and allowing us to plan. Dundee would need to beat Rangers by at least 5 goals to move to 5th, all other positions are fixed for split. Even entertaining the remote possibility such a result might happen, they could still announce dates now with v 5th place and v 6th place for the games involving Dundee and St Mirren. 

Nessjambo67
1 hour ago, Marcus Cicero said:

There's no good reason for delay in setting dates and allowing us to plan. Dundee would need to beat Rangers by at least 5 goals to move to 5th, all other positions are fixed for split. Even entertaining the remote possibility such a result might happen, they could still announce dates now with v 5th place and v 6th place for the games involving Dundee and St Mirren. 

That’s what I was thinking today as well what’s the delay we know who’s in the top six just get it done no ? 

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Thursday afternoon 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Over 48 hours after the positions were determined and still no fixtures. Yet another reason why the split is shite.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’m pretty sure other countries in Europe already had a split but we didn’t copy any of them, instead we made an arse of it.  And I’d be surprised if any other league has copied our shambles as there are much better ways to make a split work. 

To be fair, Northern Ireland did. One difference though is that the venues for post split are dependent on whether you are due another home game or not against that team. So you could have 5 home games or 5 away games post split. Not sure which is worse!

trotter
On 10/04/2024 at 19:24, Ministryofdad said:

No it is time to expand the league. 

Restructure the entire spfl. 

18 team top flight. 

Potential to split top 6 

for the European places and league 

Remaining 12 for the relegation. 

4 teams go down 

12 team championship 

Top 3 go up

Playoffs for the bottom 3 vs the winners of the regional leagues. 

Apologies if I'm being thick here, but doesn't this approach inevitably trend the number of teams in the SPL over time to only 3...

1st year - 18 teams, 4 down, 3 up

2nd year - 17 teams, 4 down, 3 up

3rd year - 16 teams, 4 down, 3 up...

Jim_Duncan

Guys... the Huns got beat yesterday. There are people in Glasgow trying to organise the fixtures with red, white and blue mascara dripping onto their keyboards. Give them time.

SMJ_1874
2 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Anyone know when we will play our Brazilian neighbours?!

Next Season 😊🇱🇻

martoon
38 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Next Season 😊🇱🇻

Maybe not, man.

SMJ_1874
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Maybe not, man.

Now that would be amusing 😊. Another Hamilton job on the cards would be almost as good as winning the cup. 

Ministryofdad
8 hours ago, trotter said:

Apologies if I'm being thick here, but doesn't this approach inevitably trend the number of teams in the SPL over time to only 3...

1st year - 18 teams, 4 down, 3 up

2nd year - 17 teams, 4 down, 3 up

3rd year - 16 teams, 4 down, 3 up...

To be honest I could have explained it better as I missed out the playoffs for the championship to get promoted. 

Bottom 4 relegated 

Top 3 up in championship 

Play off to decided the 4th team to come up from championship 

Could even make it a mini tournament at the end of the season. 

Bottom team relegated from spl. 

Winner of championship up. 

Then 2-4 and 17-15 in prem play against each other to decide who stays up or gets relegated to go down.

I don't know if 18 teams is too much for the top league.

All I know is I'm sick of playing the same shite 4 times a season 

132goals1958
19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Only  in Scotland would they manipulate the fixtures where the two contenders for the title are prevented from winning the title against the other. There’s only going be be Celtic fans there anyway. Another sad indictment on the bigot brothers.

Dalstonjambo
10 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Thursday afternoon 

As someone (albeit in the minority) that needs to book long distance travel for games this is infuriating.

Going to be remortgaging my house to pay LNER at this rate 

Mysterion
27 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Even Andy Halliday thinks this - was on Superscoreboard last night saying playing teams 4 times a year is rubbish. 

Problem is the TV deal that wants 4 OF games.

The problem is trying to work out how far to expand and how many games could be added/sacrificed. 

For example - 18 teams, play twice and you are at 34 games, there are clubs that will find reasons to say that losing out on 2-4 games it too much of a financial hit (tin pot stuff). There will also be a media frenzy over the meaningless games completely ignoring that so much of the English leagues are riddled with meaningless games at this point of the season. 

A 16 team league is more difficult to achieve because the bottom ten would have a big fixture list.

Play each team twice (30 games) then a 6/10 split and play twice again. It gives 40 games for the top 6 but 48 for bottom 10.

There's an argument to be made that the bottom ten couldn't cope with the extra fixtures although I do think it's actually a real opportunity for those clubs to end up using academy/youth players to supplement what would be a tired squad. More senior games for younger players is overall good for the game. 

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Over 48 hours after the positions were determined and still no fixtures. Yet another reason why the split is shite.

guy in work said they have to wait for the rangers game to complete, 😕, why, both are in the top 6 ,

no matter the score.

Mysterion
11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

guy in work said they have to wait for the rangers game to complete, 😕, why, both are in the top 6 ,

no matter the score.

As one poster mentioned earlier - it's to do with how they seed and determine who gets 2 or 3 games at home. 

Dundee would need to win 5-0 to have any chance of changing things, as league they can't publish fixtures until it's confirmed that Dundee can't achieve that scoreline. 

There will already be two sets of fixtures ready to go, one set will be shredded when it's confirmed Dundee can't achieve that scoreline. Till then you can't assume they will not (despite the odds).

trotter
1 hour ago, Ministryofdad said:

To be honest I could have explained it better as I missed out the playoffs for the championship to get promoted. 

Bottom 4 relegated 

Top 3 up in championship 

Play off to decided the 4th team to come up from championship 

Could even make it a mini tournament at the end of the season. 

Bottom team relegated from spl. 

Winner of championship up. 

Then 2-4 and 17-15 in prem play against each other to decide who stays up or gets relegated to go down.

I thought something was missing haha. 

Not a bad proposal to be fair. But it would require clubs to actually face reality, but when you have the likes of Killie happily selling 3 stands to the OF to let them celebrate yet another title win, then at that point you are just pissing in the wind unfortunately. 

Ron Burgundy

Every club outside the OF should be demanding the fixtures are put out immediately but even Hearts will just sit back and wait like a good little boy.

We are all complicit in this nonsense.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

As one poster mentioned earlier - it's to do with how they seed and determine who gets 2 or 3 games at home. 

Dundee would need to win 5-0 to have any chance of changing things, as league they can't publish fixtures until it's confirmed that Dundee can't achieve that scoreline. 

There will already be two sets of fixtures ready to go, one set will be shredded when it's confirmed Dundee can't achieve that scoreline. Till then you can't assume they will not (despite the odds).

no doubt we will get 2 home games lol, :facepalm:, or maybe not, 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not particularly fussed they aren't out, recognise some folk want to get travel tickets in early, vast majority of folk shouldn't make too much difference. Not a lot to look forward to, unless we make the cup final, meandering to the end, a consequence of our excellent play

:bravo:

The idea of a split is fine gave us a great laugh at full-time at Fir Park last Saturday for instance. However, it needs to happen earlier so we play every team home and away to avoid the kind of shit show over fixtures that happens every season.

tokyowalnut
3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Only  in Scotland would they manipulate the fixtures where the two contenders for the title are prevented from winning the title against the other. There’s only going be be Celtic fans there anyway. Another sad indictment on the bigot brothers.

I actually like the spilt, but the above is what makes this country such a joke (football wise). The way everything is worked around the Glasgow teams just shows what disregard they really have for the rest of us. Why do other teams not call the SPFL out on this? Surely an end of season title decider is the box office they want! 

Hagar the Horrible

Not sure if spotted or even posted but the Daily Record, that fountain of factual and diligent journalism, has boldly predicted the Old Firm  fixture list.  They did not bother for anybody else, but it would have been compounded bollocks in any case,  They have Celtic playing 2 home games first, Us then against Sevco, then 3 away games on the bounce, and Sevco playing 3 at home.  Home, away, away, home and home.  

But lets look at that, Celtic have played only 16 games at home, and Rangers 17. notwithstanding, celtic have 3 away games in a row, just not allowed.  This would allow Celtic 18 home and 20 away games, while the advantage Celtic should have has swung to Sevco as they get 20 home games.  The spit is biased already so that the uglies play 19 home and 19 away, something not guaranteed for the rest of us.

It just shows that journalism is dead, let the red tops die and we can dance on its grave.

Biffa Bacon
18 hours ago, Sooks said:

It ****s me off that the above complete and utter nonsense even has to come in to consideration . Just **** this stupid split in the bin and stop being so ****ing stupid . Can you imagine being someone from another country where they do things rationally and properly and reading steaming pile of horseshit 

Spot on. the whole split is a complete tin pot farce. No visibility of fixtures until the last minute, often causes a fixture imbalance more away games than home, with 3 fixtures at one venue. Look at our Cat B STs, next year we do not know how many matches this will cover, if the wee team are in the bottom 6 again.

neilnunb

Looks like they are hoping Killie close the gap on us before we play our first home game.

• davemclaren changed the title to The split - fixtures announced!
jamboinglasgow

So win our first split game against Kilmarnock and we have third secured. A draw is fine (would require Kilmarnock to win all four remaining matches and us not to pick up any points.)

carnockjambo

If Celtic and Rangers win all games up until OF game and Celtic win that then they can win Title at Killie penultimate game 

Jack Torrance
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Possible involvement in final day title drama.

:jjyay:

Hopefully minimise the away ticket allocation. 

:sadrobbo:

davemclaren
Just now, GBJambo said:

Secure third on the first game. 

Exactly. 👍

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Possible involvement in final day title drama.

:jjyay:

Will be interesting to see the reaction when we play our kids to keep everyone else fresh for the cup final...

Sooperstar
1 minute ago, Jack Torrance said:

Hopefully minimise the away ticket allocation. 

:sadrobbo:

They'll be getting one section.

Hibs away to St Johnstone and Ross County first two games. Then Aberdeen at home.

Things could get a little uncomfortable if they don’t win those 

PapaShango

Any other league in the world they would love to arrange a title decider between teams, but not in Scotland with the scum bags that follow both sides in Glasgow. The SFA are as spineless as they come. 

Jack Torrance
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

They'll be getting one section.

And they'll be grateful for it too.

:robboyas:

tian447

Killie in the first game is magic.  Win there, and 3rd is done and dusted. 

Shame it's not at home, but away games aren't giving me the fear that they have done in recent seasons.