***Official St. Mirren vs Hearts match day thread***

Chimp

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Again game time will be because of lack of competition in that role. You say coming off the bench like that's a good thing or shows how highly he's valued, it doesn't. Fraser was even in ahead of him which is saying something.

Grant has been here a long time now and he's had a proper chance to show what he can do. Not once in his time here has he properly managed to become a regular starter under 2 managers. It's clear he does have ability and is a tidy enough footballer but he isn't at the level required and doesn't do it consistently enough. He's apparently on good wages too and I'd rather that money was used elsewhere.

Bottom line is the manager is picking him every week, ahead of a bunch of others in the squad.  Are you still on the Tagawa (who the manager doesn't trust to bring on unless we are 3-0 up against a lower division team) needs more time train?

Edited by HopeDiouf

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

2 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Bottom line is the manager is picking him every week, ahead of a bunch of others in the squad.  Are you still on the Tagawa (who the manager doesn't trust to bring on unless we are 3-0 up against a lower division team) needs more time train?

He's not picking him every week though? And who is this bunch of others out of interest?

Tagawa obviously isn't doing enough for SN to pick him and I've no idea how this is relevant to what we are talking about.

wavydavy
43 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Have to say I've pretty much given up on him now after hoping he'd finally come good and I really don't know how many more chances he needs to impress and cement his place in the team, he's had plenty of opportunities. Offers next to nothing and is anonymous most games. A couple of nice touches and passes here and there just doesn't cut it. Just as well have Dhanda and Spittal coming in.

Can see him heading back to England in the summer as I doubt he'll get a sniff next season.

Hopefully he will take Fraser with him they are like twins. I know it is early days for Fraser but he has looked uninspiring considering he wants a move back to Scotland.

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

He's not picking him every week though? And who is this bunch of others out of interest?

Tagawa obviously isn't doing enough for SN to pick him and I've no idea how this is relevant to what we are talking about.

He's getting picked ahead of Devlin, Fraser, Tait for a start.  Any of those 3 could be part of our midfield 3, but Grant is getting picked by the manager.

The point with Tagawa is (assuming you still want us to keep him) it seems strange to want to keep a guy who can't get on the park and at the same time want rid of a guy who get's on the park every week.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Hopefully he will take Fraser with him they are like twins. I know it is early days for Fraser but he has looked uninspiring considering he wants a move back to Scotland.

Yep it is early days but unfortunately as a loan player you don't get lots of time to settle, especially when it's only for 6 months. Certainly doesn't play like someone who's playing for a permanent deal at the club. Looks uninterested and don't see any desire.

wavydavy
44 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

he's been involved (either start or comes off the bench) every week when fit since the killie game in the cup , which I doubt would be the case if the manager agreed he offers next to nothing and is anonymous most games.

Maybe that's because he has little or no other options due to existing injuries or lack of faith.

wavydavy
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Yep it is early days but unfortunately as a loan player you don't get lots of time to settle, especially when it's only for 6 months. Certainly doesn't play like someone who's playing for a permanent deal at the club. Looks uninterested and don't see any desire.

Exactly.

The Observer

Vargas will have a game between now and the end of the season that alleviates concerns re: Shanks leaving in the summer 

Will it be tomorrow? I hope so because... (anti-Paisley Hate Speech law breach)

soonbe110
47 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Total imposter?

He's a decent squad player and has good games as well as ordinary and very occasionally bad games (Morton), but it's totally wrong to call him an imposter.

Two excellent games in two wins against Celtic this season. 

3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

He's getting picked ahead of Devlin, Fraser, Tait for a start.  Any of those 3 could be part of our midfield 3, but Grant is getting picked by the manager.

The point with Tagawa is (assuming you still want us to keep him) it seems strange to want to keep a guy who can't get on the park and at the same time want rid of a guy who get's on the park every week.

Devlin and Tait (an 18 year old who's just made his first start) who both aren't attacking midfielders is the bunch he's getting in ahead of? Good one, point made. Fraser was picked ahead of him before his injury in case you can't recall. 

Tagawa hasn't been here anywhere near the same length of time Grant has, and hasn't played as much. He also hasn't come from a different continent and had to adapt to a different way of life and style of football. He might settle in time and I'd like to see more of him to judge for myself what I think of him as a player, after all he did only arrive around 8 months ago. Once again your determination to be proven right and for Tagawa to be crap shines through (probably why you've randomly brought him up for absolutely no reason). If Naismith thinks he won't cut it here and wants to move him on then fine, it's one of those things.

12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe that's because he has little or no other options due to existing injuries or lack of faith.

Nah according to Diouf there's loads of guys who he could easily pick ahead of him, like our defensive midfielder Cammy Devlin. Next he'll be suggesting he's keeping Sibbick out the side.

jamboozy
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

We seldom do this though. Naismith keeps saying this is what we need to do before every game and it seldom happens.

Maybe we will do it tomorrow for a change which would set us up nicely.

I keep thinking, this week is the week.😟

wavydavy
4 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I keep thinking, this week is the week.😟

You never know. Hopefully it is.

HopeDiouf
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Devlin and Tait (an 18 year old who's just made his first start) who both aren't attacking midfielders is the bunch he's getting in ahead of? Good one, point made. Fraser was picked ahead of him before his injury in case you can't recall. 

Tagawa hasn't been here anywhere near the same length of time Grant has, and hasn't played as much. He also hasn't come from a different continent and had to adapt to a different way of life and style of football. He might settle in time and I'd like to see more of him to judge for myself what I think of him as a player, after all he did only arrive around 8 months ago. Once again your determination to be proven right and for Tagawa to be crap shines through (probably why you've randomly brought him up for absolutely no reason). If Naismith thinks he won't cut it here and wants to move him on then fine, it's one of those things.

You're the one who seems determined to be proven right that Grant is crap and Tagawa is great, despite the team sheet quite clearly showing us the management team thinks otherwise.

HopeDiouf
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Possibly, but bottom line is he's getting on the park most weeks, which suggests the manager trusts him to be on the park more than others.

Edited by HopeDiouf

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

You're the one who seems determined to be proven right that Grant is crap and Tagawa is great, despite the team sheet quite clearly showing us the management team thinks otherwise.

What the hell are you on about, at what point did I ever say or make out Tagawa was great? Oh I didn't did I but that doesn't fit your narrative and absolutely irrelevant point you're determined to make. 

I don't think Grant is crap, I just don't think he's good enough for us or offers enough but you can try put words in my mouth if you like. I literally said he has ability and is a tidy enough footballer yet you choose to ignore that.

Edited by Chimp

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

What the hell are you on about, at what point did I ever say or make out Tagawa was great? Oh I didn't did I but that doesn't fit your narrative and absolutely irrelevant point you're hell bent on trying to make. 

I don't think Grant is crap, I just don't think he's good enough for us or offers enough but you can try put words in my mouth if you like. I literally said he has ability and is a tidy enough footballer yet you choose to ignore that.

I've just seen you defend Tagawa yet take constant digs at Grant, thats all.  Seems wierd.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I've just seen you defend Tagawa yet take constant digs at Grant, thats all.  Seems wierd.

I've explained why I've defended Tagawa, thought it was pretty clear but you don't seem to grasp what I'm saying. 

There's nothing weird about having an opinion on player who's been at the club 2 years and feel he hasn't contributed enough in his time here while also thinking I'd like to see more of another player to make my mind up on, who's been here less time and not played as much while factoring in other issues like I said.

Out of curiosity, would you say Grant has overall been a good signing or a disappointing one?

Edited by Chimp

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

I've explained why I've defended Tagawa, thought it was pretty clear but you don't seem to grasp what I'm saying. 

There's nothing weird about having an opinion on player who's been at the club 2 years and feel he hasn't contributed enough in his time here while also thinking I'd like to see more of another player to make my mind up on, who's been here less time and not played as much while factoring in other issues like I said.

Out of interest, would you say Grant has overall been a good signing or a disappointing one?

I'd say overall Grant has done the job he was signed to do.  Been better this season than last.  

for the record, why does Grants time  get rounded up to 2 years, and Tagawa rounded down to 8 months?

Just now, HopeDiouf said:

I'd say overall Grant has done the job he was signed to do.  Been better this season than last.  

for the record, why does Grants time  get rounded up to 2 years, and Tagawa rounded down to 8 months?

Done the job he was signed to do as an attacking midfielder in the 10 role - a contribution of 5 goals and 9 assists since his arrival in 2022... You're having a laugh, I'm pretty sure we expected a little more than that. You honestly think he was brought to be bit part player with that return? Come on now. 

"For the record" I said around 8 months, not exactly. If it's 9 then I'm a whole singular month out in my estimation which wasn't intentional as I did it quickly in my head. My point still stands. Grant has been here for an extra full season then, if that makes it easier for you. Anyway I'm going round in circles with you so I'll be leaving it at that.

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

Done the job he was signed to do as an attacking midfielder in the 10 role - a contribution of 5 goals and 9 assists since his arrival in 2022... You're having a laugh, I'm pretty sure we expected a little more than that. You honestly think he was brought to be bit part player with that return? Come on now. 

"For the record" I said around 8 months, not exactly. If it's 9 then I'm a whole singular month out in my estimation which wasn't intentional as I did it quickly in my head. My point still stands. Grant has been here for an extra full season then, if that makes it easier for you. Anyway I'm going round in circles with you so I'll be leaving it at that.

I'd say he's done about what we'd expected.  Not exceeded expectations (like Vargas) or been below expectations (like Tagawa), but been a useful part of the squad during his time here.

For me, the rounding up of Grant but not Tagawa shows a bias in the asessment.  As you rightly state in the end, in terms of time at HMFC, there is a year between them, no more no less.

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

What our recruitment saw in Fraser god only knows.

Offers nothing.

wavydavy
1 hour ago, HopeDiouf said:

Possibly, but bottom line is he's getting on the park most weeks, which suggests the manager trusts him to be on the park more than others.

That's hardly a glowing report for Grant though. Those that he is getting a game in front of maybe shouldn't be at the club then.

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

That's hardly a glowing report for Grant though. Those that he is getting a game in front of maybe shouldn't be at the club then.

I guess thats kinda my point.  He's not the first on my list of players we need to replace in the summer.  He's contributed more than some this season.

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

What our recruitment saw in Fraser god only knows.

Offers nothing.

His numbers are good down south in fairness. Better than Grants I think. I had no issue with him signing, just hasn't worked out. Happens sometimes. Who knows, he might score tomorrow, you never know.

A bit pessimistic for this one I have to say. Can’t shake the feeling we’ll arrive flat and concede early, with them having a lot left to play for.

Really hope we’re not just going through the motions until the cup semi - we need to rebuild the momentum again

wavydavy
13 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I guess thats kinda my point.  He's not the first on my list of players we need to replace in the summer.  He's contributed more than some this season.

He has but I still don't think he is good enough for us longer term.

He has the odd decent performance and was very good at Parkhead but he just doesn't do it often enough in my opinion.

Naismith will be looking to trim a few players from the squad in the summer so we will know soon enough if Grant is one of them.

Thomaso
3 hours ago, Chimp said:

I’ve got to say I have been surprised at the pretty awful performances from Fraser so far. I know he needs games to settle but we can’t afford a passenger in the team.

Pasquale for King

Slow start, lose at least one goal and end up drawing 2-2 or being pulled out the crap by the Captain and scrape a 3-2 victory 🤞.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
23 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/full-steam-ahead

Naisy saying in his presser it's possible Beni will miss the game due to illness, and the Hoff not ready to return just yet. 

Even if Beni does play tomorrow, given he's been ill, we should temper our expectations on his performance level. 

HeartsandonlyHearts

I’d love to see us put this game to bed early then not take our foot off the gas and stomp on their throats for the full 90 mins. But that’s just me.

RustyRightPeg
14 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Even if Beni does play tomorrow, given he's been ill, we should temper our expectations on his performance level. 

Are you familiar with the Michael Jordan 'Flu' game? I'm expecting a hattrick.

gordiegords

With no beni or hoff it’s going to be a struggle, would probs flood the midfield with devlin, tait and grant.

Watt-Zeefuik

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Tait  Devlin  Cochrane

Vargas Shankland Forrest

JimmyCant
57 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/full-steam-ahead

Naisy saying in his presser it's possible Beni will miss the game due to illness, and the Hoff not ready to return just yet. 

Not the sort of thing you’d want to publicise if you intend playing him, so I imagine he’s out so a midfield from Tait Devlin Denholm Grant and Cochrane.

Lambert Simnel

I think this is really quite even, given it's in Paisley. They probably need it more, and we've lost a bit of momentum recently. We haven't drawn a SPFL game away from home this season, so me suggesting it's going to be 1-1 is probably a bit daft.  So I'm still going for a 1-1 😁

Fozzyonthefence
42 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not the sort of thing you’d want to publicise if you intend playing him, so I imagine he’s out so a midfield from Tait Devlin Denholm Grant and Cochrane.

2-0 Saints then!  

Chillidigits

Weather conditions will be crap usually means a crap game. Both teams to flood the midfield and battle out a scrappy 0-0 .   Get back down the road without any injuries and plod on.

portobellojambo1

Hoping we can get a win tomorrow but wouldn't be surprised if it ends a draw

pettigrewsstylist

No Beni or Hoff..... long day ahead.

Chillidigits
1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

yeah for me this is one of those games where I'd want a bit beef and muscle in midfield. In PH's absence I'd consider Toby for that role. ( tin helmet on )  

Zander

Kent Rowles Kingsley

Dexter                Cochrane

Devlin Tait

Grant

Shankland Vargas

Would be my team. Get Dexter hitting the byline and tell Cochrane he needs to take more than just 2 strides with the ball. He's good enough to beat his man, needs to start doing it. Give Vargas a free role to move about and get wide to support Dexter and Cochrane. Would like to see Shankland kept central instead of drifting. 

Cranston
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Zander

Kent Rowles Kingsley

Dexter                Cochrane

Devlin Tait

Grant

Shankland Vargas

Would be my team. Get Dexter hitting the byline and tell Cochrane he needs to take more than just 2 strides with the ball. He's good enough to beat his man, needs to start doing it. Give Vargas a free role to move about and get wide to support Dexter and Cochrane. Would like to see Shankland kept central instead of drifting. 

👍

Exactly right. He's not been playing the normal central forward role lately, and results have suffered. Get him back in the main  striker role Naismith.

Gundermann
15 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Really? That's crap.

Can see Saints targeting Dexter at the back as per Killie. SM difficult to beat at home so am not too optimistic given our recent results and displays.

Australis
1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’d love to see us put this game to bed early then not take our foot off the gas and stomp on their throats for the full 90 mins. But that’s just me.

It would be refreshing and a change.

90 minutes to bust a gut for the club.

Will it be another slow lethargic start.

Bongo 1874

Gordon 

Lembikisa Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Sibbick

Denholm   Tait

Oda                         Forrest 

Vargas