***Official St. Mirren vs Hearts match day thread***

Chimp

jock _turd
10 hours ago, john thomas said:

Responding to you saying 'he has used his arm to block the ball' ?

Implies he intended to . Obviously he didn't. 

Yes but I would say two things .

Firstly had the ref seen the ball contact the arm he would have given a penalty and if he had noone in the ground would have had cause to argue it is the fact that VAR gives rise to any compaint.

The second if a player attacks the ball in the way the St M player did arm in the air he is immediately increasing the chance that he will block the ball with his arm... a cynic would say that is a good way of committing an unintentional hand ball and it has to be a penalty for that very reason.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

JimmyCant
19 minutes ago, McCrae said:

A major weakness with Atkinson is his poor ball control, that heavy first touch and inability to get a ball under control quickly is a real issue. At his age it’s difficult for him to get to the level required even with good coaching.

We’re very rarely going to get a player in any position who’s got everything required and if we do, we’re probably not keeping him long.

However that’s the 3rd season running  that RB/RWB has been a pretty weak position for us so that’s right up there with the big summer priorities IMO.

10 hours ago, john thomas said:

Responding to you saying 'he has used his arm to block the ball' ?

Implies he intended to . Obviously he didn't. 

Many years ago I did an SFA refereeing course and used to ref Sunday league games. The guy taking the course would say in this situation that it is your arm, it is attached to you and you are controlling it so if you put your arm there it must be deliberate.

Edited by casper

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Carter said:

He did the same in the Derby where he passed Miller on to Kingsley when he was his man. Dexter is clearly not great at the goal but if Cochrane makes a proper challenge it allows Dexter to take a step back and potentially take control of the situation. You don't abdicate responsibility in that situation and put the last man in jeopardy.

Absolutely 

FarmerTweedy
17 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Scott Fraser is? How would we know as he’s barely had a chance. To move Grant up top then replace him with Fraser was bizarre really, but If Tagawa isn’t up to it then you have to question the money we’ve wasted him. 

You really don't have to. You can if you want, of course, but it'd be more sensible to just accept that some signings just won't work out as the recruitment team and management/coaching team hoped, and instead be happy with the fact that we're well clear in 3rd place and with not much bigger a gap to the top two than to 4th and 5th despite having a budget for the football side that's a small fraction of the two biggest budgets, and probably only slightly bigger, if indeed it's bigger at all, than the 4th and 5th biggest budgets (it's possible ours might actually be slightly smaller than that of Aberdeen or the vermin, simply comparing total staff costs doesn't tell the whole story).

wavydavy
10 hours ago, Carter said:

He did the same in the Derby where he passed Miller on to Kingsley when he was his man. Dexter is clearly not great at the goal but if Cochrane makes a proper challenge it allows Dexter to take a step back and potentially take control of the situation. You don't abdicate responsibility in that situation and put the last man in jeopardy.

His anticipation is not good and he lacks any real place. Half a brain and he would have continued tracking back before Dexter missed the header and then he would have been in a much better position to make a challenge.

He hesitated thinking Dexter was going to win the header and had slowed down making it much more difficult to get back and make a challenge.

It also doesn'r help when Cochrane is nominated to tale every set pie ece we soom to have and is often the caught out of position.

I don't get why he is taking most of the free kicks, corners etc as much of the time they are very poor and if we lose posssession he is caught out of position

john thomas
2 hours ago, casper said:

Many years ago I did an SFA refereeing course and used to ref Sunday league games. The guy taking the course would say in this situation that it is your arm, it is attached to you and you are controlling it so if you put your arm there it must be deliberate.

Utter bollocks

Gundermann

Great result and performance, esp while missing key players.

That said, it could've been much more comfortable if Vargas and Devlin hadn't missed sitters and Dexter hadn't had another brainfart.

7 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Utter bollocks

It's not utter bullocks.

That is how he justified any foul whether it be a hand ball, a kick, a push.......

upgotheheads

Where recruitment should concentrate for next season:

The league stats show us having the best defensive record of any team below us in the league, but three teams have a better goals-for record, Dundee, H1b5 and Motherwell, and that's with us having the best striker in the league.  We need a right back for sure, and we have addressed the midfield which might create a few more, but we need at least two strikers, maybe three if Shanks is allowed to go. We need an injection of pace as well as physicality otherwise as it stands we only have Vargas. 

alicante jambo
5 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Where recruitment should concentrate for next season:

The league stats show us having the best defensive record of any team below us in the league, but three teams have a better goals-for record, Dundee, H1b5 and Motherwell, and that's with us having the best striker in the league.  We need a right back for sure, and we have addressed the midfield which might create a few more, but we need at least two strikers, maybe three if Shanks is allowed to go. We need an injection of pace as well as physicality otherwise as it stands we only have Vargas. 

I want us to sign a right back and a couple of big strong midfielders who wont be out muscled. Would be nice to push teams when we play in europe and not lose the midfield battles.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

His anticipation is not good and he lacks any real place. Half a brain and he would have continued tracking back before Dexter missed the header and then he would have been in a much better position to make a challenge.

He hesitated thinking Dexter was going to win the header and had slowed down making it much more difficult to get back and make a challenge.

It also doesn'r help when Cochrane is nominated to tale every set pie ece we soom to have and is often the caught out of position.

I don't get why he is taking most of the free kicks, corners etc as much of the time they are very poor and if we lose posssession he is caught out of position

Completely agree. If there is £2M on the table this summer for Alex Cochrane Hearts will deal. Absolutely no doubt about that imo. He lacks awareness and he undoubtedly has a pace flat spot. 

Nelly Terraces
22 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Certain defeat today. No midfield, no attack, no leaders.

:cornette::rudi:

Chuffed I got that one wrong!:D

wavydavy
19 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

:cornette::rudi:

Chuffed I got that one wrong!:D

Understandable though I was thinking we would do well to get a draw especially once I knew Shankland was missing.

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We’re very rarely going to get a player in any position who’s got everything required and if we do, we’re probably not keeping him long.

However that’s the 3rd season running  that RB/RWB has been a pretty weak position for us so that’s right up there with the big summer priorities IMO.

Agreed, we need potentially 2. Depends on the system we play, Sibbick does a decent job as RCB when we are playing 3 at the back.

wavydavy
1 hour ago, Carter said:

Completely agree. If there is £2M on the table this summer for Alex Cochrane Hearts will deal. Absolutely no doubt about that imo. He lacks awareness and he undoubtedly has a pace flat spot. 

If there was even half of that then I would jump at it.

john thomas
2 hours ago, casper said:

It's not utter bullocks.

That is how he justified any foul whether it be a hand ball, a kick, a push.......

This was someone, in Scotland, instructing referees ?

Think about it

3 hours ago, john thomas said:

Utter bollocks

Just because you don't agree with the laws of the games??

john thomas
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Just because you don't agree with the laws of the games??

No just because I don't agree with anyone stating that handball was deliberate. It obviously wasn't. 

Already agreed it was a penalty 

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

👍

jamboiain13

Help me out here folks....
Watching yesterday's game at home on Hearts TV I noted that on two separate occasions when St. Mirren had a corner in the 2nd half that they had one of their substitutes hold the ball steady due to the strong wind blowing the ball out the quadrant.  Did anyone else think this is a breach of the rules since they would technically have had 12 players participating.  Might be being pedantic but if they required someone to keep the ball still shouldn't they have had to use a player already on the pitch meaning they would have to move a potential goalscorer out of our box?  Referee never picked up on this but they are clueless anyway.  

Apologies if this has already been discussed

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Sadly I think half of it will be closer to the mark. 

wavydavy
14 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Sadly I think half of it will be closer to the mark. 

It would still be a profit for an average player. I am sure we could get better. It will be interesting to see how Penrice does.

BerraBelieveit

Random question, but does anyone know who takes the pictures of fans at the end - assume he works for Hearts?

4marsbars

Not sure if on any other thread, but, after Saturday, is there any news of Kingsley?

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It would still be a profit for an average player. I am sure we could get better. It will be interesting to see how Penrice does.

I think he is overrated by many on here.  Very suspect defensively but a position we have good cover in so makes sense to sell in the summer.  Can help fund the two RBs/ RWBs we need. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Not sure if on any other thread, but, after Saturday, is there any news of Kingsley?

Naismith said he was ill at the start of the week so assume he just wasn't feeling 100%. Doesn't seem like it was anything to do with an injury which is a relief.

Edited by Chimp

Japan Jambo
16 hours ago, jamboiain13 said:

Watching yesterday's game at home on Hearts TV I noted that on two separate occasions when St. Mirren had a corner in the 2nd half that they had one of their substitutes hold the ball steady due to the strong wind blowing the ball out the quadrant.  Did anyone else think this is a breach of the rules since they would technically have had 12 players participating.  Might be being pedantic but if they required someone to keep the ball still shouldn't they have had to use a player already on the pitch meaning they would have to move a potential goalscorer out of our box?  Referee never picked up on this but they are clueless anyway.  

noticed it and though wow an outbreak of common sense, how refreshing.

4marsbars
59 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Naismith said he was ill at the start of the week so assume he just wasn't feeling 100%. Doesn't seem like it was anything to do with an injury which is a relief.

Thanks. That's reassuring. 

wavydavy
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think he is overrated by many on here.  Very suspect defensively but a position we have good cover in so makes sense to sell in the summer.  Can help fund the two RBs/ RWBs we need. 

Agree 100%.

HopeDiouf
2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Thanks. That's reassuring. 

Naismith said he was feeling issue with Hamstring.  Was in the post match interview 

image.thumb.png.6c0c6bb6ed7dd9f535b16531fa810260.png

Ex member of the SaS
21 hours ago, jamboiain13 said:

Can't see a problem with it as he let go well before the kick was taken. IF he was still touching the ball at the kick it would be totally different.