***Official St. Mirren vs Hearts match day thread***

Chimp

Will no doubt be a tough game but we could really do with a win here to get rid of any nerves some of us may have about securing 3rd. 

After Dexter's poor showing last week I'd be inclined to go with Atkinson at RB. Would also drop Grant too.

Possibly go with something like this -

Clark

Atkinson      Kent    Kingsley   Cochrane

Beni     Tait

Oda          Shankland     Forrest

Vargas

Edited by Chimp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

We_are_the_Hearts

Clark

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Dexter Beni Hoff Cochrane

Vargas Shanks Forrest

Forecast is howling

I’d drop Dexter to the bench and play Atkinson. If Hoff is fit, I’d play him and have Grant on the bench too. 
Always very pleasing beating this lot. Let’s do it hearts. 

theshed

Huge game that I’d take the draw if honest as long as we beat Livingston the following week. 

St Mirren really need a win to secure top 6 as their next game is Celtic away so they won’t be sitting back 

jamboozy
36 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Will no doubt be a tough game but we could really do with a win here to get rid of any nerves some of us may have about securing 3rd. 

After Dexter's poor showing last week I'd be inclined to go with Atkinson at RB. Would also drop Grant too.

Clark

Beni     Tait

Vargas

Good line up, I prefer Vargas up front, he is left ineffectual out on the right imo. I agree that it would be beneficial to leave Dexter out but I would still have him on the bench.

A quick goal for us could see us winning comfortably, we will need to go for the throat from the outset.

14 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Good line up, I prefer Vargas up front, he is left ineffectual out on the right imo. I agree that it would be beneficial to leave Dexter out but I would still have him on the bench.

A quick goal for us could see us winning comfortably, we will need to go for the throat from the outset.

Completely agree. Game can sometimes pass him by out there and it doesn't suit his strengths. Should be playing on the last man.

karipidis

I think we have to play 3 at the back until we have this Right Back situation sorted. Maybe Livi at home we can play a 4 but with the Semi final coming up and 6 other difficult league fixtures, it makes sense to go with 3 until the end of the season. 

Clark 

Kinglsey

Kent

Rowles

Dexter

Beni

Hoff

Cochrane

Grant/McKay/Forrest

Shankland

Vargas

Diadora Van Basten

This team with Dexter rather than Fraser (BBC predictor wouldn’t let me pick Dexter as a midfielder).

image.thumb.jpeg.f44e5e7c2ecdd99a4cf27200b135d15f.jpeg

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

BigAlim

_____________________Clark

_______Atkinson__Kent__Kingsley__Cochrane

Forrest__Nieuwenhoff__Baningime__McKay

____________Shankland__Vargas

GorgieFifeLife

Gordon

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Forrest

Hoff

Beni

Tait

McKay

Shankland

15 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

_____________________Clark

_______Atkinson__Kent__Kingsley__Cochrane

Forrest__Nieuwenhoff__Baningime__McKay

____________Shankland__Vargas

Strong team and would have picked that myself if everyone was up to speed but Hof won't be fit enough to start and I doubt McKay would be either.

Jambo92

50mph winds forecasted, not sure it will be a fun watch.. Will suit St Mirren though.

Bazzas right boot

1-1 or 2-1 St mirren.

Would take another draw tbh.

They'll be direct and try and outmuscled and out fight us.

AndrewB
7 hours ago, Chimp said:

Clark

Beni     Tait

Vargas

Agree re RB position.  Each gets 1 game, gets hooked around 60-70 mins then replaced by the other in the next game.  Best to laugh about it or else you’d scream.

I’m pretty much with you on the line-up but think we need another body in the middle of the park.  I’d actually not be surprised if Grant plays.  Would prefer Denholm or Devlin or even Fraser however with Barrie off the bench in the second half.

FionaHmfc

Was looking forward to the customary steak, black pudding and peppercorn sauce pie through there on Saturday - but seems it’s been replaced by a new addition! Not sure how to feel about this one 😂 

308B54EA-8AEB-4285-8D7D-ADD28F0D9BFB.jpeg

whytebeard

Hi - where is the best and closest parking at the ground for cars.

only ever went by train/bus

Bunny Munro

Clark

Sibbick Kent Kingsley Cochrane

Beni Tait

Vargas Grant Fraser

Shankland

Selkirkhmfc1874

Tight 1-0 win for us , worst case scenario is we come away with draw and keep same distance between us and them

Uncle Buck

Clark

Kent Kingsley Rowles

Denholm Beni Tait Cochrane

Vargas Shankland McKay

I’d be tempted to try Denholm out in the right wing back slot. Full of energy and gets stuck in. McKay should start if fit to as he’s our best creative player. Is Hoff back?

2-0 win for Hearts.

gordiegords

Got a funny feeling we are winning this won, one nil to the famous, Shankland back at it.

feedthefox
13 hours ago, Chimp said:

Clark

Beni     Tait

Vargas

Drop Grant? No justification just drop him because.. He played well v Killie 

38 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

No he didn’t play well against Killie at all. What did he do so well?

Maple Leaf
7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

1-1 or 2-1 St mirren.

Sadly, I think you're close.  I'll be delighted and surprised if we get all three points.

13 hours ago, whytebeard said:

Hi - where is the best and closest parking at the ground for cars.

only ever went by train/bus

There's plenty parking on the road up from the old Love st to the ground(Murray St) but a few trips ago so a car with it's window tanned so we park on the Greenock rd which is the main road into Paisley- 10 min walk to the ground but a bit more peace of mind.

TexasAndy

Tough away match for anyone this.  We are good enough to win but a draw wouldn't be a bad result.  I'm looking for minimum 4 from 6 over next two games.  

JimmyCant

I think we’ve lost momentum and we can’t wait for the season to finish so we can re-group, re fresh and start again. hopefully we’ve something left in the tank for the semi final and getting 3rd over the line ASAP.

This has got ugly 0-0 snorefest written all over it and that’s not a bad outcome if we’re honest.

Sunny and up to 17C but 50+ mph winds :laugh:

Probably be a scrappy game, but think we'll get the 3 pts.

JudyJudyJudy

Hopefully the wind and rain holds off . 

Berrassobad
16 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

50mph winds forecasted, not sure it will be a fun watch.. Will suit St Mirren though.

km/h - poor record there - take a draw now

Mikey1874

St Mirren have struggled recently. Though same results as us last 6 games. 

I think they are safe top 6 already as Hibs and Dundee both won't win 2 games. 

We play better, we win.

4-3-3 for me. (I'm a broken record on this!)

Clark

Atkinson

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Devlin

Beni

Hoff (or Tait if Hoff doesn't make it)

McKay (or Oda if Baz can't start)

Shankland

Vargas

A rest for Forrest and Cochrane no bad thing. 

Win the midfield battle and let the wide forwards really push on and support Shanks. Sacrifice an out and out number 10, but give Hoff and Cammy a license to get forward.

copa-mundial

St.Mirren only lost to Celtic and Sevco at home this year I think. 

Not going to be easy. Robinson as always will have them running the hard yards for the duration. 

A point wouldn't be the end of the world. More so with games running out quickly. 

However we do need to get back to winning ways. A good win through there would boost confidence with the semi final in a few weeks time. 

By The Light..
17 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

50mph gusts almost unplayable, complete leveller and skill out the window

Edited by By The Light..

Thomaso
11 hours ago, feedthefox said:

He contributed zilch against Killie

upgotheheads

I have organised my day around watching this on Fawanews or St. Mirren TV. I'll be gutted if it's canceled.

wavydavy
On 04/04/2024 at 10:19, jamboozy said:

We seldom do this though. Naismith keeps saying this is what we need to do before every game and it seldom happens.

Maybe we will do it tomorrow for a change which would set us up nicely.

Horatio Caine
7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I have organised my day around watching this on Fawanews or St. Mirren TV. I'll be gutted if it's canceled.

I doubt if it'll be cancelled.  Will just be a bit of a farce if the wind is as strong as is forecast.  Bloody April and we've still got January weather.

Hoping for return to winning ways....3 pts please...

Also, where is best to park these days?....we used to park on Clark St or  Murray st...but these 2 streets are noted on St Mirrens website as no go areas on matchdays now

Notice most council / club sites are good at telling you where not to park, but no help in actually advising where would be best to park..

Eddiepolio3

Just no Grant please 🙏 he's a total imposter and hope he never plays for us again. Hopefully the Hoff is fit.

5 minutes ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

Just no Grant please 🙏 he's a total imposter and hope he never plays for us again. Hopefully the Hoff is fit.

Have to say I've pretty much given up on him now after hoping he'd finally come good and I really don't know how many more chances he needs to impress and cement his place in the team, he's had plenty of opportunities. Offers next to nothing and is anonymous most games. A couple of nice touches and passes here and there just doesn't cut it. Just as well have Dhanda and Spittal coming in.

Can see him heading back to England in the summer as I doubt he'll get a sniff next season.

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Have to say I've pretty much given up on him now after hoping he'd finally come good and I really don't know how many more chances he needs to impress and cement his place in the team, he's had plenty of opportunities. Offers next to nothing and is anonymous most games. A couple of nice touches and passes here and there just doesn't cut it. Just as well have Dhanda and Spittal coming in.

Can see him heading back to England in the summer as I doubt he'll get a sniff next season.

he's been involved (either start or comes off the bench) every week when fit since the killie game in the cup , which I doubt would be the case if the manager agreed he offers next to nothing and is anonymous most games.

upgotheheads
17 minutes ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

Total imposter?

He's a decent squad player and has good games as well as ordinary and very occasionally bad games (Morton), but it's totally wrong to call him an imposter.

HopeDiouf
Just now, upgotheheads said:

Total imposter?

He's a decent squad player and has good games as well as ordinary and very occasionally bad games (Morton), but it's totally wrong to call him an imposter.

the stick he gets is ridiculous.  He wouldn't be getting on the park every week if the manager didn't think he was contributing.

14 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

he's been involved (either start or comes off the bench) every week when fit since the killie game in the cup , which I doubt would be the case if the manager agreed he offers next to nothing and is anonymous most games.

We don't really have anyone else in that position, probably a big reason. Also, it's quite telling he's signed 2 players for his position - both of which are upgrades. 

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

We don't really have anyone else in that position, probably a big reason. Also, it's quite telling he's signed 2 players for his position - both of which are upgrades. 

posssibly, shall see how it goes next season, but my take, based on his gametime and manager comments,  I think you'll end up disappointed when he's still in the squad next season.

Just now, HopeDiouf said:

posssibly, shall see how it goes next season, but my take, based on his gametime and manager comments,  I think you'll end up disappointed when he's still in the squad next season.

Again game time will be because of lack of competition in that role. You say coming off the bench like that's a good thing or shows how highly he's valued, it doesn't. Fraser was even in ahead of him which is saying something.

Grant has been here a long time now and he's had a proper chance to show what he can do. Not once in his time here has he properly managed to become a regular starter under 2 managers. It's clear he does have ability and is a tidy enough footballer but he isn't at the level required and doesn't do it consistently enough. He's apparently on good wages too and I'd rather that money was used elsewhere.