Scotland Euro Friendlies

Mikey1874

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If he doesn’t play him he will be viewed as a clown by anyone who knows anything about football. 

He will just be seen as another in a long line of Scottish managers who rate the bottom reaches of the English Championship over the SPFL. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

• tian447

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, tiger Rudi said:

I meant more as the type of player and the expected kind of game it was going to be, rather than any slight on either player. Horses for courses, this is not a game for long balls over the top or into space. 

Fair enough.

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, lisburnjambo said:

To Naismith and and the other “pundits” that basically called this a walkover before the match kicked off …🤫 😛🥳

:jjyay:

VALDOS'
24 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

What would your team be, assuming everyone is available, on 15th June, in Munich?

Well it certainly wouldn't include Cooper, Dykes, Adams or McLean!

Gundermann
16 minutes ago, Australis said:

Welsh fans currently behind their team right now too.

If we are not playing England they are constantly silent and a nothing.

The Jacobites know how to boo though, they do that very well.

Were you singing tonight?

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, VALDOS' said:

Well it certainly wouldn't include Cooper, Dykes, Adams or McLean!

At most one of those players (Dykes or Adams) start in Munich so therefore it's all a bit of a drama over nothing.

Philfigo

Clarkes sheer stubborness will cost us results! Adapting to a poor run, find a plan B is not on his agenda. Same shape same formation 1 up front no matter what. Absolutely criminal playing Dykes a striker who is really useful in some instances certainly not against N Ireland while trying to pass through them. Save Dykes for the backs against the wall performances when you need an outlet just to get relief of possession of the ball. This game was crying out from 1st 5mins to have two up front running channels pulling the defence about to create space. How does Clarke not see that I've no idea, or he does but is too stubborn to change how he plays.

Thomaso
40 minutes ago, Australis said:

He had had to pick him when he would rather not have picked him.

I get the feeling the more pundits tell Clarke to start with Shankland the more he will adopt a “feck you” attitude and not pick him!

Gundermann
33 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

Screenshot_20240326_215014_Sofascore.thumb.jpg.497fdb3719f16779b5e47f9091ad400a.jpg

Even Sofascore know the truth... 

😄

gnasher75
31 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

What would your team be, assuming everyone is available, on 15th June, in Munich?

Gordon

Porteous Hendry Tierney

Hickey Gilmour McGregor Robertson

McGinn McTominay

Shankland

Not convinced about Porteous but Souttar looked lost on Friday. 

28 minutes ago, Australis said:

Welsh fans currently behind their team right now too.

If we are not playing England they are constantly silent and a nothing.

The Jacobites know how to boo though, they do that very well.

You really hate Scotland 😀😀. Thank Christ you left

Gundermann

McFadden talks a lot of sense. 👍

Every cloud...

FT: Scotland 0-1 Northern Ireland

2d7e254f-b719-45b4-8b2b-7590214dbedb.jpg

James McFadden

Former Scotland forward on BBC Scotland

There's no way I can make anyone feel better about the result tonight. I'm disappointed.

Too many times I've been on holiday watching the Euros. Now, we're there.

FT: Scotland 0-1 Northern Ireland

Supporting Faddy's point there...

Scotland have won just two of their last 19 friendlies, but have won 15 of their last 21 competitive games.

Edited by Gundermann

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

You are wasting your time mate. There will always be some clueless fans with paranoid and bias agendas so it's a losing battle trying to explain anything, even if you do it in as simple terms as possible!  Shanks will likely come on soon, let's hope he takes any chance(s) that come his way!  So far the international break has gone really well for him, including ironically this evening, the only bad moment has been his miss.

Totally agree mate.  

Luckies1874
8 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon

Porteous Hendry Tierney

McGinn McTominay

Shankland

I don't see Gordon starts, I think he'll be the No2. Other than that the same as mine expect for Hanley instead of Porteous. I'd play Hanley in the middle with Hendry on the right of the 3. I'm not sure he will be fit but I like his presence in there and I thought we were so solid v Spain when he started. He's played in some good wins. 

Edited by Luckies1874

5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

:lol: 

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon

Porteous Hendry Tierney

McGinn McTominay

Shankland

I think they'll bring back Hanley for Porteous. Wouldn't have him myself but replacements are awful.

No way Gordon starts.

Luckies1874
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

👏

wavydavy
40 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

If shanks has a strong end to the domestic season (and no reason to think otherwise) then he will start in my opinion. 
if he doesn’t then Clarke is onto a hiding. I know he’s stubborn but that would be a dead man walking decision.

And he will be a Rangers player by the time we lose all of our games in the Euros 😂

Aussie Jambo

Ever since that shit show against England our confidence has gone. Spain & France. More confidence gone. Draw twice. Confidence so so. Then Holland and Norther Ireland. It beggers belief that this is the same team that qualified for the euros. That was the worst Scotland performance in a very long time. 

gnasher75
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Same as mine expect for Hanley instead of Porteous. I'd play Hanley in the middle with Hendry on the right of the 3. I'm not sure he will be fit but I like his presence in there and I thought we were so solid v Spain when he started. He's played in some good wins. 

Agree with that. Just assuming he won't be fit. McKenna might also be an option. All our centre backs make me nervous though!

1971fozzy
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

And he will be a Rangers player by the time we lose all of our games in the Euros 😂

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

I don't think that meant giving him game time in these two friendlies more in action in training. Why he should he play him if Hearts won't? I have no doubt he'll be picked but he isn't starting unless Gunn is unavailable.

Well, Patterson gets picked and he's not getting a game for Everton.

I think CG brings more to the whole squad than just what he does on the pitch. 

skinnybob72
3 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Ever since that shit show against England our confidence has gone. Spain & France. More confidence gone. Draw twice. Confidence so so. Then Holland and Norther Ireland. It beggers belief that this is the same team that qualified for the euros. That was the worst Scotland performance in a very long time. 

We limped over the line in qualifying, great start got us there. Draws with Georgia and Norway were poor results.

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, skinnybob72 said:

We limped over the line in qualifying, great start got us there. Draws with Georgia and Norway were poor results.

Both were dead rubbers as we'd already qualified. Try again. 

gnasher75
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I think they'll bring back Hanley for Porteous. Wouldn't have him myself but replacements are awful.

No way Gordon starts.

Agree about Hanley. Has done himself no harm missing these two matches.

The question was what would your team be so for me Gordon starts. Gunn is OK but Gordon is exceptional. His experience and quiet assurance would help the whole team. He should be our no.1 for this tournament.

Luckies1874
4 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I think CG brings more to the whole squad than just what he does on the pitch. 

Agree with this point. That's why he's a nap to be in the squad. He's a huge presence with vast experience and is a legendary Scotland player. 

gordon simpson
53 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

Screenshot_20240326_215014_Sofascore.thumb.jpg.497fdb3719f16779b5e47f9091ad400a.jpg

Even Sofascore know the truth... 

utter shit player and those sevco shits got millions for him 

57 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Travelled from Lanarkshire...  :facepalm:

Good on them though. The Tartan Army are just so embarrasing and divisive...

Screenshot_20240326_205449_Discord.thumb

Do you know if there are no Northern Irish people living in Larkhall? There was a flag with a Reading badge on it too. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Bender said:

Do you know if there are no Northern Irish people living in Larkhall? There was a flag with a Reading badge on it too. 

I have an uncle who lives in Cumbernauld. Should have told him to go and bring a flag with that on it as well, to upset those who spend their lives taking photos of opposing fans! :laugh:

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I have an uncle who lives in Cumbernauld. Should have told him to go and bring a flag with that on it as well, to upset those who spend their lives taking photos of opposing fans! :laugh:

I travelled through from Edinburgh tonight. I hope he isn’t too upset. 

Seaside Dave
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Embarrassing getting beat by NI, one of the worst teams in Europe.

😂😂😂😂😂

Luckies1874
22 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

The question was what would your team be so for me Gordon starts. Gunn is OK but Gordon is exceptional. His experience and quiet assurance would help the whole team. He should be our no.1 for this tournament.

In isolation I totally agree with your thoughts on this but Gordon isn't starting for Hearts so really it's being taken out of Clarke's hands. I'm actually surprised Gordon has been content to sit back and let this happen as he is clearly superior to Zander. His presence even in some easy Scottish Cup games is obvious. He has a size and aura which none of these other 3 do but he's not playing and it's killed any chance he had of getting the gloves for Scotland. I think he'll be the No2 in the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for us post split as well as in the semi-final but I think the ship has sailed in respect to him starting in Germany. 

tiger Rudi

Do Gunn, Zander and Kelly have 10 caps between them? Can't be a hell of a lot more than that. Gordon needs to go to the Euros, just why he was named in this squad and not given a run out is a bit of a shocker from Clarke. 

These two friendlies should have all been about alternatives and giving some a game. The next two friendlies should be for deciding on the starting 11 against Germany and looking for some stability in selection. He's not likely to try anything new now. 

gnasher75
13 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

In isolation I totally agree with your thoughts on this but Gordon isn't starting for Hearts so really it's being taken out of Clarke's hands. I'm actually surprised Gordon has been content to sit back and let this happen as he is clearly superior to Zander. His presence even in some easy Scottish Cup games is obvious. He has a size and aura which none of these other 3 do but he's not playing and it's killed any chance he had of getting the gloves for Scotland. I think he'll be the No2 in the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for us post split as well as in the semi-final but I think the ship has sailed in respect to him starting in Germany. 

I have been firmly of the opinion that Gordon should be playing for Hearts or at least playing some league games. Don't buy into the idea that there has to be a no.1 and that rotating them in the league would have disrupted the team. Or that we need to wait til post split or we're safe in third before bringing back a top class keeper. Makes no sense.

From a Scotland perspective, the thing that has changed for me is that Gunn hasn't covered himself in glory in these two games. One really good save but otherwise fairly average and he lacks the presence that Gordon has, as you say.

If Gordon plays more games for Hearts and continues to show the form we have seen in the Cup games, Clarke has got to at least consider him to start against Germany. Who would he rather have playing in the opening game of the Euros being watched by millions? A guy who has seen it all before or a relative novice?

The loyalty thing is a strange one. Gordon was no.1. He got injured. He got back fit and ready to play but he doesn't get picked. Gunn took over as no.1. He got injured. He got back and ready to play and went straight back in. 

I would hope that Gordon and Clarke are both in Naismith's ear now telling him it's time for Gordon to get back in the Hearts team.

Nelly Terraces
On 22/03/2024 at 21:34, Nelly Terraces said:

No wins in 6 games.

Thrashed tonight.

Not a chance of them getting anything in the Euros. 3 defeats an absolute cert.

I still stick by this prediction. Lambs to the slaughter in a major competition & 3 defeats await.

Aussie Jambo

It’s not looking pretty for our chances. That’s for sure. Need to bring back ‘yes sir I can boogie’. How can we change what is happening? Defensive wise we are ruined. That must be a priority. Bring in some younger players. Use the best we have. 

colinmaroon

Clarke quoted ref Shanks, he will miss a chance but stick the next one away.  Not if you take him off he won't/don't play him and give him enough time to prove your wisdom, he won't. 

Just think, Clarke in charge at Easter Road, and takes Shanks off with 15 to go.

Aussie Jambo
3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Clarke quoted ref Shanks, he will miss a chance but stick the next one away.  Not if you take him off he won't/don't play him and give him enough time to prove your wisdom, he won't. 

Just think, Clarke in charge at Easter Road, and takes Shanks off with 15 to go.

👏👏👏

Luckies1874
12 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

I still stick by this prediction. Lambs to the slaughter in a major competition & 3 defeats await.

Usually on board with a lot of your football views but I think you'll be wrong on this one mate. No doubt tonight was extremely disappointing but you only need look at the evidence of our competitive record against our friendly record over recent years. We have routinely been turning up when it matters like it will in June. I believe we will see the Scotland of the first hour on Friday, helped by the return of the likes of Hickey and McGregor. When we play with intensity and energy we are a much better side and we'll be ready when it starts. This Scotland team has far more about it than not to turn up in Germany, we have captains at numerous clubs including two in the EPL and we have leaders who will sort out the mess that was tonight. Unlike some I still retain huge faith in the Head Coach who has got us to back to back Euro's as well. I firmly believe Scotland will get out of the group and into the knock outs for the first time ever. We shall see 👍

Luckies1874
9 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

It’s not looking pretty for our chances. That’s for sure. Need to bring back ‘yes sir I can boogie’. How can we change what is happening? Defensive wise we are ruined. That must be a priority. Bring in some younger players. Use the best we have. 

Who are these mystical "younger players"? Bet you can't give me two reasonable names.

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I doubt Clarke will take anyone to the Euros who is in the middle of being distracted by what club he might be playing for afterwards

Aussie Jambo
30 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Who are these mystical "younger players"? Bet you can't give me two reasonable names.

Bet you..? Bit childish no?

Would that make you feel better?

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Bet you..? Bit childish no?

Would that make you feel better?

Not childish at all. You are the one talking absolute Tom Kite as per usual but when pressed to give examples of your outlandish claims you routinely don't respond because quite simply you have no idea what you're blethering on about. 

He's got a point though.  There aren't any "younger" players who are better than what we've got in the squad already.  There are a few decent ones coming through (and I would have liked to have seen Doak taken along for experience and give him a go), but there aren't any I can think of who would replace the existing players.  Doig for Ralston maybe?

JimmyCant
37 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

IMO our best back 3 is Hendry Hanley McKenna.

Hickey needs to be fit or we’ve a real problem at RB/RWB. Robertson is only a huge miss if Tierney isn’t around.

Midfield we need McGregor back and Ferguson for me is ahead of Christie although McGinn and Mctominay are nailed on starters

I think we might switch to a 4 to get our best midfielders on the pitch 

Up front, I know we’re biased but it has to be Shankland. Dykes was awful in terms of goal threat last night and Adams has done nothing for most of his last 10-15 matches. Shankland at least gets into positions to score and he’d have 3 goals in 2 games but for a bit of nerves/ presssure/ composure / luck (call it what you will) He’ll score chances because he gets in positions/makes intelligent runs/ can fashion a goal out of very little for himself. You just can’t say that about Dykes and Adams. Dykes is just a walk we play balls off and Adams is just shite.

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, Sydney said:

He's got a point though.  There aren't any "younger" players who are better than what we've got in the squad already.  There are a few decent ones coming through (and I would have liked to have seen Doak taken along for experience and give him a go), but there aren't any I can think of who would replace the existing players.  Doig for Ralston maybe?

Ben Doak has been out for months and had surgery on his knee after injuring his meniscus. He may have got into a squad at some point had he remained fit and on the periphery of things at Liverpool. Given their injuries has meant several young players have been given game time it's a shame that he wasn't fit. Doig played for and captained the u21's the other day and they obviously believe he is better playing there for now. Unless Hickey misses out Ralston won't be in the squad. Whilst there are a number of promising players at even younger age groups none are ready for consideration for the Euro's. It's just a sound bite from Aussie Jambo but it's not in the least informed nor does it carry any weight. 

Edited by Luckies1874

JimmyCant
17 minutes ago, Sydney said:

By and large I think most folk would agree that Clarke picks the best squad of players available to us. I can’t think of anyone unfairly overlooked who’s knocking on the door but being ignored. Possibly Shankland and Ferguson should have had more game time and he’s stuck with 2 or 3 journeymen longer than he should have when he could have chucked a wild card like Bowie or Doig or Cameron in for a bit of familiarisation but mostly you can’t argue much with the squads he picks

Edited by JimmyCant

Aussie Jambo
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

IMO our best back 3 is Hendry Hanley McKenna.

Hickey needs to be fit or we’ve a real problem at RB/RWB. Robertson is only a huge miss if Tierney isn’t around.

Midfield we need McGregor back and Ferguson for me is ahead of Christie although McGinn and Mctominay are nailed on starters

I think we might switch to a 4 to get our best midfielders on the pitch 

Up front, I know we’re biased but it has to be Shankland. Dykes was awful in terms of goal threat last night and Adams has done nothing for most of his last 10-15 matches. Shankland at least gets into positions to score and he’d have 3 goals in 2 games but for a bit of nerves/ presssure/ composure / luck (call it what you will) He’ll score chances because he gets in positions/makes intelligent runs/ can fashion a goal out of very little for himself. You just can’t say that about Dykes and Adams. Dykes is just a walk we play balls off and Adams is just shite.

Agree

Aussie Jambo
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

By and large I think most folk would agree that Clarke picks the best squad of players available to us. I can’t think of anyone unfairly overlooked who’s knocking on the door but being ignored. Possibly Shankland and Ferguson should have had more game time and he’s stuck with 2 or 3 journeymen longer than he should have when he could have chucked a wild card like Bowie or Doig or Cameron in for a bit of familiarisation but mostly you can’t argue much with the squads he picks

Adams & Dykes maybe are weak pegs. They’ve been ok but nothing special. 
I was thinking at back the young lad David Watson from Killie or Liam Morrison who plays in Germany I think. Been watching the young team  playing on Scotland National team. Gives you dibs on the upcoming talent around Scotland. I still think wee McCowan should get a game as well. He’s like a wee Gordon Strachan type player.