Civilisations

Ked

Ulysses
9 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Those are not unexpected, though.  On the other hand, claims that artificially-made objects were on Earth before the existence of humans aren't backed by trustworthy scientific sources, so they'd have to be regarded as strictly in conspiracy theory territory.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ked

• Ulysses

• henrysmithsgloves

• Maple Leaf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spellczech
14 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Recent evidence suggests the Sarson stones at Stonehenge (which originate in Wales) were actually part of an even earlier stone circle in Wales itself, and that they were moved at a later date to Stonehenge.

On a general note, if you look at sea levels prior to the ice age you get an idea of the extent of ancient life that has been lost due to rising sea levels.  

Would make sense - one tribe builds something extraordinary using local stone but is then defeated by another tribe who covet their stones and take them as booty...there isn't really any other logical reason for quarrying the stone so far from where it was staged.

henrysmithsgloves
25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Those are not unexpected, though.  On the other hand, claims that artificially-made objects were on Earth before the existence of humans aren't backed by trustworthy scientific sources, so they'd have to be regarded as strictly in conspiracy theory territory.

Find it very difficult to believe myself as well,but you never know. As you say requires credible scientific evidence 👍🏻

Ulysses
23 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Find it very difficult to believe myself as well,but you never know. As you say requires credible scientific evidence 👍🏻

It does indeed. 

It is considered to be impossible to prove the non-existence of something.  So in theory, you can't definitively prove that there are no gods, or that aliens haven't been here.  But you can get very close, and you can easily demonstrate that there is no evidence that they exist.

What clinches it is a blindingly simple bit of human nature.  Humans are curious, and scientists love to wrestle with puzzles, the more exciting the better.

The very best puzzles and curiosities out there are exciting and incredible stories such as aliens, gods, and these out-of-place artifacts (OOPArts).  A scientist who could get concrete evidence to prove the existence of any of those things would be guaranteed to rewrite the history of the entire planet, possibly the entire universe, and the place of humans in that history. He or she would become the greatest scientific name ever, possibly the most famous name in history full stop.  Einstein, Newton, Copenicus, Galileo, you name whoever you like, would be a scientific minnow compared to the person who found proof of the existence of a deity, or aliens on Earth, or a previous development of civilisation on Earth in geologically ancient times.

Yet nobody ever has.

So either scientists are a shy retiring bunch who like to keep their discoveries to themselves, or else they don't have any discoveries to reveal.  And we all know that the first option is simply impossible.

You can never say definitely that these things are made up, but you can say with 100% confidence that there's no evidence for them at all.

Maple Leaf
3 hours ago, Libertarian said:

True, however around 70,000 years ago a new improved version of homo sapiens (us) appeared in Africa and in that relatively short time we have come to dominate the planet to the point where we are endangering the ecological system upon which we all depend.

Totally correct.  I'm still hoping for clarification on the claim of artifacts in coal seams.

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Totally correct.  I'm still hoping for clarification on the claim of artifacts in coal seams.

I can confirm that artefacts have been found in coal (and coal seams). Some of these are obviously manufactured items such as bells. Some are items that are clearly manufactured components but which have been unable to be identified. Interestingly, analysis of the metallurgy of some of these items throws up some ‘anomalies’. If this material had been subjected to peer-reviewed scientific study, I’m sure it would have been published, so one assumes that hasn’t happened.

Maple Leaf
17 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The number of ‘manufactured’ artefacts discovered embedded in coal seams around the world, would suggest that humans have inhabited this planet far longer than we realise. Coal takes around 300 million years to form.

5 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I can confirm that artefacts have been found in coal (and coal seams). Some of these are obviously manufactured items such as bells. Some are items that are clearly manufactured components but which have been unable to be identified. Interestingly, analysis of the metallurgy of some of these items throws up some ‘anomalies’. If this material had been subjected to peer-reviewed scientific study, I’m sure it would have been published, so one assumes that hasn’t happened.

If evidence was found that made it seem that humans have been around for even 10 million years, let alone 300 million years, it would turn anthropology and biology upside down.  It would be a sensational discovery, a worldwide headline.

Since no such sensation has happened, I'm very dubious about the claim.  It's almost certainly an error, maybe even a fake.

WorldChampions1902
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If evidence was found that made it seem that humans have been around for even 10 million years, let alone 300 million years, it would turn anthropology and biology upside down.  It would be a sensational discovery, a worldwide headline.

Since no such sensation has happened, I'm very dubious about the claim.  It's almost certainly an error, maybe even a fake.

I’m not discounting the ‘fake’ possibilities (a la Piltdown man). What I do find interesting about some of these things is that despite intensive efforts to explain ‘anomalies’, we are none the wiser. There is actually one component resembling an advanced circuit board that was discovered in a Russian coal mine decades ago that has been preserved in the chunk of coal it was extracted in and nobody can explain what it is. 

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I’m not discounting the ‘fake’ possibilities (a la Piltdown man). What I do find interesting about some of these things is that despite intensive efforts to explain ‘anomalies’, we are none the wiser. There is actually one component resembling an advanced circuit board that was discovered in a Russian coal mine decades ago that has been preserved in the chunk of coal it was extracted in and nobody can explain what it is. 

Nobody can explain the anomalies for one really good reason.  They don't exist.

Ulysses
20 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

More likely an error than a fake, but let's not rule out the possibility of both occurring in different situations. 

Unlike yourself, I'm not at all dubious about the claim.  It's simply not true, and unless someone produces actual evidence that it is true it's only fantasy to entertain the notion.

Maple Leaf

Back onto ancient civilizations, for the longest time it was estimated that humans arrived in the Americas about 10,000 - 12,000 years ago via a temporary land bridge between Alaska and Siberia.

But a site in Chile called Monte Verde has yielded evidence of human settlement that dates back almost 18,000 years.  The land bridge theory still stands, but scientists are now thinking that an earlier migration happened, and that was by small boats hugging the coastline from Asia.

the posh bit
5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Would make sense - one tribe builds something extraordinary using local stone but is then defeated by another tribe who covet their stones and take them as booty...there isn't really any other logical reason for quarrying the stone so far from where it was staged.

Maybe logic was different back in they days. 

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It does indeed. 

It is considered to be impossible to prove the non-existence of something.  So in theory, you can't definitively prove that there are no gods, or that aliens haven't been here.  But you can get very close, and you can easily demonstrate that there is no evidence that they exist.

What clinches it is a blindingly simple bit of human nature.  Humans are curious, and scientists love to wrestle with puzzles, the more exciting the better.

The very best puzzles and curiosities out there are exciting and incredible stories such as aliens, gods, and these out-of-place artifacts (OOPArts).  A scientist who could get concrete evidence to prove the existence of any of those things would be guaranteed to rewrite the history of the entire planet, possibly the entire universe, and the place of humans in that history. He or she would become the greatest scientific name ever, possibly the most famous name in history full stop.  Einstein, Newton, Copenicus, Galileo, you name whoever you like, would be a scientific minnow compared to the person who found proof of the existence of a deity, or aliens on Earth, or a previous development of civilisation on Earth in geologically ancient times.

Yet nobody ever has.

So either scientists are a shy retiring bunch who like to keep their discoveries to themselves, or else they don't have any discoveries to reveal.  And we all know that the first option is simply impossible.

You can never say definitely that these things are made up, but you can say with 100% confidence that there's no evidence for them at all.

Good post👍🏻

Spellczech
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It does indeed. 

Yet nobody ever has.

That is surely like saying - if you can imagine it, then it exists?

Take humans travelling by air - imagined 2000 years ago in the story of Icarus; theorised by da Vinci in his drawings but not realised until the Wright Brothers...

However, can you apply it to aliens? We opten imagine them as wee green men or humanoid or machines but is it likely that all exist, just remain unconfirmed? I doubt it...

scott herbertson
20 hours ago, Ked said:

The math involved the tools needed .

If a comet hit the earth now not a planet killer but enough to set us back .

What would remain of our knowledge?

How would survivors evolve?

Would a few thousand years see different technology?

I also watched something that said we shouldn't be so advanced in the timescale.

Anyway just shooting the breeze please don't jump on it .

😆

They would find our plastic

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Nobody can explain the anomalies for one really good reason.  They don't exist.

Agreed. Things we don't understand = incomplete knowledge, not some way out theory that contradicts all the other evidence

Just now, scott herbertson said:

But would they know how we processed or got to that stage?

We look back at the engineering and haven't got a clue.

Although we forgot how to engineer a manned moon landing from 50 years ago .

26 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Agreed. Things we don't understand = incomplete knowledge, not some way out theory that contradicts all the other evidence

I didn't see Ulys quote.

Both of you are wrong.

The evidence so far is well researched but it ignores and perhaps the original lines followed couldn't grasp the pieces of evidence that show mathematical engineering to a precision we are not capable of.

That's not theory.

As for way out answers .

Science and those theorists base it on math.

It seems with certainty that previous inhabitants had a different grasp that baffles us.

It's worth discussion no?

Ulysses
53 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

This.   I'm struggling to remember the name of that book by yer man in the University of Edinburgh about the decay and fossilisation of our waste materials.  It depressed the Bejaysus out of me.

Ulysses
20 minutes ago, Ked said:

Both of you are wrong.

:rofl:

20 minutes ago, Ked said:

The evidence..

The wait what now? 

22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

:rofl:

The wait what now? 

I must be wrong then about the precision and math of ancient builds .

That's my evidence.

Wtf are you on about?

The allignement of pyramids in Egypt and South America is that conspiratorial?

22 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes

Its a conspiracy by people trying to debunk science 

https://academic.oup.com/astrogeo/article/40/3/3.4/197342?login=false

I'm aware of that and those mentioned in the article.

I spoke about precision no precession. 

The actual structures themselves.

Their allignment not with stars but in different continents with similar structure.

Even with laser technology we'd struggle with accuracy and the tonnage involved is staggering.

Ulysses
2 hours ago, Ked said:

That's my evidence.

Wtf are you on about?

Evidence. 

Of.

What?

24 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Evidence. 

Of.

What?

Of knowledge and method that we don't understand ffs how many times.

I don't know you don't know.

I asked if anyone had thoughts on it.

You've none except to shut down any.

I think it's worth discussing on a few levels. 

You don't.

Fine.

Gtf then.

Honestly

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Ked said:

Of knowledge and method that we don't understand ffs how many times.

I don't know you don't know.

I asked if anyone had thoughts on it.

You've none except to shut down any.

I think it's worth discussing on a few levels. 

You don't.

Fine.

Gtf then.

Honestly

Ah.  I don't know if I've said this before, but sometimes your posts are tricky to follow.  I don't mean any offence by that, but that's just how it is.

So I'll have another go.

When you say evidence, do you mean that there are things on Earth that are ancient and

(i) they don't seem to have an explanation, and trying to explain them is a discussion worth having?

Or

(ii) you have an opinion about how those things came about, and that there is evidence to support your opinion?

If it's (i), then yep, it's worth discussing, or at least a discussion wouldn't do any great harm.  I wouldn't see any reason to shut a discussion like that down, though it's unhelpful if people get scientific reality mixed up with their own vivid imaginations.

If it's (ii), then what are your opinions, and where's the evidence to back them up?

Do you see (ii) there?  That's why I asked the question "evidence of what?"

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, Ked said:

I'm aware of that and those mentioned in the article.

I spoke about precision no precession. 

The actual structures themselves.

Their allignment not with stars but in different continents with similar structure.

Even with laser technology we'd struggle with accuracy and the tonnage involved is staggering.

OK Can you provide me with evidence of a precision in the construction of ancient monuments relating to their alignment with the continents which suggests a greater knowledge by the people who constructed them than we have now? The current theory is that no such alignment or precision exists. What you want to discuss is a theory which directly contradicts accepted scientific orthodoxy. I would need good evidence to change my mind from believing the vast majority of scientists , historians and archaeologists but I am very open, indeed interested to read anything which is based on primary sources which contradicts the orthodoxy.

Edited by scott herbertson

BlueRiver
22 hours ago, Ked said:

That's my evidence.

Wtf are you on about?

The idea that we can't build things more accurately than the ancients is pish Ked. Come on now. 

Maple Leaf
On 22/03/2024 at 10:45, Ulysses said:

More likely an error than a fake, but let's not rule out the possibility of both occurring in different situations. 

Unlike yourself, I'm not at all dubious about the claim.  It's simply not true, and unless someone produces actual evidence that it is true it's only fantasy to entertain the notion.

You're right, of course.  The notion that there were humans here 300 million years ago is absurd, never mind humans who were technologically advanced. 

According to Edinburgh University professor Steve Brusatte in his book The Rise and Reign of the Mammals, the first mammals didn't appear until the early part of the Mesozoic era, which was about 230 million years ago.  It would take hundreds of millions of years of evolution to produce the first primates then, ultimately, us.

Ulysses
17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

You're right, of course.  The notion that there were humans here 300 million years ago is absurd, never mind humans who were technologically advanced. 

According to Edinburgh University professor Steve Brusatte in his book The Rise and Reign of the Mammals, the first mammals didn't appear until the early part of the Mesozoic era, which was about 230 million years ago.  It would take hundreds of millions of years of evolution to produce the first primates then, ultimately, us.

A few posts up I mentioned a book that depressed me a bit.

The writer's name is David Farrier, Professor of Literature and the Environment at Edinburgh University. The book is called Footprints: In Search of Future Fossils

What it does is more or less the reverse of this thread and the reverse of how we normally think about history and the passage of very long eras of time.  Using a mix of science and speculation, he sets out how modern human cities will eventually decay and fossilise over millions of years, becoming as much a part of Earth's geological story as coal seams and dinosaur fossils.

Here's an extract, which is kind of about Shanghai.  Kind of.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210505-how-cities-will-fossilise

WorldChampions1902
25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The writer's name is David Farrier, Professor of Literature and the Environment at Edinburgh University. The book is called Footprints: In Search of Future Fossils

What it does is more or less the reverse of this thread and the reverse of how we normally think about history and the passage of very long eras of time.  Using a mix of science and speculation, he sets out how modern human cities will eventually decay and fossilise over millions of years, becoming as much a part of Earth's geological story as coal seams and dinosaur fossils.

Wow! If left long enough, aluminium turns to China clay.

Maple Leaf
40 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Nothing last forever, right?  I wonder how long it will take for the pyramids at Giza to erode to indistinguishable mounds?

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nothing last forever, right?  I wonder how long it will take for the pyramids at Giza to erode to indistinguishable mounds?

In or around 100,000 years.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

In or around 100,000 years.

That's probably less time than it will take for Hibs to win the cup again.  :wink:

John Gentleman
On 22/03/2024 at 05:50, Lone Striker said:

Some of the discoveries being made in Orkney at Brodgar look like re-writing a fair chunk of what historians previously thought regarding the timelines of ancient civilisations and how they moved.

The recent TV documentary uncovered some  items found at the same level as the dwellings which resembled similar items found in other parts of mainland northern  Europe.    Carbon-dating showed them to pre-date the   believed era  of Stonehenge.

The method of moving enormous slabs of rock to create the standing stones & interior of the dwellings  also suggests the people had experience of doing this stuff in Northern Europe.  The team came to the conclusion that the ritual of creating standing stones at Stonehenge may well have originated with the settlers in Orkney.   This also begged the question of how these people managed to cross  the North Sea & Pentland Firth in the first place so far back in time.

Fascinating stuff   

There's a few mysteries around Orkney. Seems like the occupants (of the time) moved around a bit.....

The Orkney Red Deer

WorldChampions1902
10 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

🤔 I know their using radiation as way to detect alien life...but past civilization on earth...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silurian_hypothesis

Interesting that their hypothesis is that there might have been advanced civilisations on earth 350 million years ago. Where’s their proof? I mean, surely we would be expecting to find artefacts embedded in coal for example?

As for suggestions of remnants of civilisations on Mars and the Moon mentioned in that link, well there is plenty of material available that suggests this is not beyond the realms of possibility. Almost perfect pyramid structures have been discovered on Mars for example and I read some research material about how data analysis in the Cydonia region is consistent with nuclear explosions on earth. So just maybe there was an ancient civilisation on Mars that wiped itself out in a nuclear conflict?

Ulysses
47 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Where’s their proof? 

They don't have any.  That's the point.

They don't really need to prove the claim, because they don't really believe it.

The purpose of the hypothesis is to figure out how you would look for evidence to prove it.  That's why it's called a thought experiment.

A crucial point they make is that you can't rely on fossilised artifacts - which suggests to me that they're keeping their heads screwed on when presented with stories of stuff found in coal seams. ;)

Nothing is "beyond the realms of possibility".  The point is to get beyond what we can imagine might be true to demonstrating whether it is or isn't true.

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Interesting that their hypothesis is that there might have been advanced civilisations on earth 350 million years ago. Where’s their proof? I mean, surely we would be expecting to find artefacts embedded in coal for example?

As for suggestions of remnants of civilisations on Mars and the Moon mentioned in that link, well there is plenty of material available that suggests this is not beyond the realms of possibility. Almost perfect pyramid structures have been discovered on Mars for example and I read some research material about how data analysis in the Cydonia region is consistent with nuclear explosions on earth. So just maybe there was an ancient civilisation on Mars that wiped itself out in a nuclear conflict?

Strontium,I think,is on mars. I read that somewhere too. Also there is that place in India,that had nuked skeletons and such like. Don't you like a good mystery 😁 I do. They were saying any previous advanced civilization,if they explored space,there is a better chance finding evidence off world due to no tectonic forces etc. There's a school of thought we are the Martians, that's a whole different rabbit hole😳

Any way,check this website 👍🏻

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Strontium,I think,is on mars. I read that somewhere too. Also there is that place in India,that had nuked skeletons and such like. Don't you like a good mystery 😁 I do. They were saying any previous advanced civilization,if they explored space,there is a better chance finding evidence off world due to no tectonic forces etc. There's a school of thought we are the Martians, that's a whole different rabbit hole😳

Yes indeed, I love a mystery! I cannot remember the name, but there is an African tribe whose folklore states that they are descendants from people who lived on Mars. So who knows - perhaps there are humans on earth that are indeed ‘Martians’.

An interesting article on the nuclear contamination on Mars and its archaeology (including bricks) was covered in The Journal of Cosmology in 2014. Link here https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2014JCos...2412229B/abstract

What was your link pls?

Edited by WorldChampions1902

henrysmithsgloves
12 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Yes indeed, I love a mystery! I cannot remember the name, but there is an African tribe whose folklore states that they are descendants from people who lived on Mars. So who knows - perhaps there are humans on earth that are indeed ‘Martians’.

An interesting article on the nuclear contamination on Mars and its archaeology (including bricks) was covered in The Journal of Cosmology in 2014. Link here https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2014JCos...2412229B/abstract

What was your link pls?

https://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/mohenjo-daro-massacre-00819

Sorry thought I posted it 😬

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

There was a French TV show (with obligatory fit French bird) about that. They went to Mars and found the whole back story. 

Greedy Jambo

We know hee haw about hee haw, and your history teacher in school knew far more about hee haw. 

Nasa are liars

The CIA run the world, and they're also liars. 

WorldChampions1902
12 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We know hee haw about hee haw, and your history teacher in school knew far more about hee haw. 

Nasa are liars

The CIA run the world, and they're also liars. 

Correct!

Ulysses
57 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

There was a French TV show (with obligatory fit French bird) about that. They went to Mars and found the whole back story. 

Proper old-school journalism there.

Jim_Duncan
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Proper old-school journalism there.

It may have been fiction. I don’t watch much telly so couldn’t verify. 

Ulysses
23 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It may have been fiction. I don’t watch much telly so couldn’t verify. 

I don't speak French, so even if I'd seen it I wouldn't know.