Umbro and Castore

His name is

Castor got too big, too quickly. They took on some massive clubs, and simply couldn't cope.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s absolutely bogging 

Its not the best, but its miles clear of the Castore pish - Although TBH I'd be looking for a return to the 06/07 home and away tops, those were brilliant IMO

image.jpeg.d0f0b1daf0924f72a17b69227cccf058.jpegimage.jpeg.5286802b5d5ee2083d46bb981acb2e22.jpeg

😍😍

57 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Castor got too big, too quickly. They took on some massive clubs, and simply couldn't cope.

I think you're spot on there, they seemed to come out of nowhere and got some huge deals - Rangers, Villa, Newcastle etc. more established brands couldn't hold onto these clubs, so seemed weird that a newcomer could make such a strong push in. 

Wouldn't want us to touch them with a bargepole TBH

kingantti1874
49 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its not the best, but its miles clear of the Castore pish - Although TBH I'd be looking for a return to the 06/07 home and away tops, those were brilliant IMO

image.jpeg.d0f0b1daf0924f72a17b69227cccf058.jpegimage.jpeg.5286802b5d5ee2083d46bb981acb2e22.jpeg

😍😍

Not my thing mate.  All a matter of opinion but exactly what hearts kits shouldn’t be, central badge = yuck!!

i think they are remember more fondly than they deserve on account of the players that wore them.

14/15 will never be beaten imo

Edited by kingantti1874

Batistuta87
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not my thing mate.  All a matter of opinion but exactly what hearts kits shouldn’t be, central badge = yuck!!

i think they are remember more fondly than they deserve on account of the players that wore them.

I hated the Hummel gear. All of it. Even the tracksuits and jackets and stuff like that were shite. I've bought at least one Hearts strip every season since about 1993, apart from these. They were so crap. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

In a nutshell.

Their stuff is good quality but they simply couldn't keep up with the damand. 

12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I hated the Hummel gear. All of it. Even the tracksuits and jackets and stuff like that were shite. I've bought at least one Hearts strip every season since about 1993, apart from these. They were so crap. 

Gutted! I loved the Hummel stuff, it might have been party because it coincided with Vlad coming in and that initial wave of optimism and hope, but regardless I liked it :) 

22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

All personal taste at the end of the day! :D 

Correct though, 14/15 was incredible 

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

2005 / 6 stuff was decent looking but shite quality 

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, OTT said:

Gutted! I loved the Hummel stuff, it might have been party because it coincided with Vlad coming in and that initial wave of optimism and hope, but regardless I liked it :) 

All personal taste at the end of the day! :D 

Correct though, 14/15 was incredible 

giphy.gif

Wasn't keen. The one we wore in the Gretna final was better but I guess it was maybe the Ukio sponsor for me. Always felt a bit shan. 

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah saw a lot of folk with the sponsor all falling off and the material was that sort of weird non stretchy stuff. The shorts were like a shell suit too 😂

Yuck. 

5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah saw a lot of folk with the sponsor all falling off and the material was that sort of weird non stretchy stuff. The shorts were like a shell suit too 😂

Yuck. 

Yeah , looked good on the players when new , but it was absolutely shite quality wise 

tian447
10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I've still got mine, and they've held up surprisingly well. 

However, I did try to remove a stain on the away shirt with a bit of Vanish Oxy powder years ago, and it did some mental things to the sponsor decals. Sort of bleached everything into a strange colour, the Scotland badge on the neck ended up a sort of purple and green, and the maroon Ukio Bankas looked like a tie dye effort going yellow with all sorts of colours running through it :lol:

They were alright as long as you looked after them. Prone to a bobble or pull though. 

1 minute ago, tian447 said:

I've still got mine, and they've held up surprisingly well. 

However, I did try to remove a stain on the away shirt with a bit of Vanish Oxy powder years ago, and it did some mental things to the sponsor decals. Sort of bleached everything into a strange colour, the Scotland badge on the neck ended up a sort of purple and green, and the maroon Ukio Bankas looked like a tie dye effort going yellow with all sorts of colours running through it :lol:

They were alright as long as you looked after them. Prone to a bobble or pull though. 

:lol:

Yeah it was made from elements not found on Earth I think . It was the cracking up of the white bits that ruined it most , but the material was seriously prone to loose threads too 

LarrysRightFoot

Surely the club will know of the issues with Castore. 

If our deal is still with Umbro (I think next season will be the last is i remember correctly) I hope the club has made their concerns known. 

The Nike kits for the Euros are pretty smart - far superior to the adidas efforts. Wouldn’t mind if we could get them for next year. 

tian447
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah it was made from elements not found on Earth I think . It was the cracking up of the white bits that ruined it most , but the material was seriously prone to loose threads too 

Definitely, the white decals seem to have been made from icing sugar, particularly the ones running down the sleeves!  

The maroon ones always seemed to be a bit "stickier" feeling and weren't quite as bad.   You'd hope they would have improved that in the past 20 years though! 

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Definitely, the white decals seem to have been made from icing sugar, particularly the ones running down the sleeves!  

The maroon ones always seemed to be a bit "stickier" feeling and weren't quite as bad.   You'd hope they would have improved that in the past 20 years though! 

yip

5 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

@Sooks & @OTT demonstrating terrible taste 😐

Looked good for about one or two wears ! 

12 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

If our deal is still with Umbro (I think next season will be the last is i remember correctly) I hope the club has made their concerns known. 

The Nike kits for the Euros are pretty smart - far superior to the adidas efforts. Wouldn’t mind if we could get them for next year. 

Yeah, thankfully the board seem to be pretty commercially astute, so I genuinely would be surprised if they go anywhere near a brand that has had consistent issues with the quality of their products. 

My personal preference if not Umbro is Hummell, I think Nike are painfully boring. I can still remember when Hibs were buzzing about their deal with Nike and it was the most boring teamware garbage I've ever seen. One of the things I like about Adidas, Umbro and Hummel is that they have very iconic looks to them. Other brands like Nike don't really have that same design. 

Umbro for me is a really solid and good brand that I would be disappointed to lose. 

By the sounds of things, Castore will be starting their partnership (or whatever they're calling it) from 2024/25, we have one more year left with Umbro, so I suppose the club can assess if they are happy with the product over the next 12 months, and if there is a sudden drop in quality then we can look for an alternative provider. I don't think its in Umbro's interests to let Castore tarnish their brand, and if there is any drop, it could be extremely detrimental to them. 

Bad Religion
17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Looked good for about one or two wears ! 

11 minutes ago, OTT said:

:lol: ouch!

Just joking lads. Hope next season strip is a good one. 

Just now, Bad Religion said:

Just joking lads. Hope next season strip is a good one. 

😉 

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

My decals are still on... probably because the zip fell off before I'd washed it enough for anything else to go wrong 😂

My replacement (touch wood) has been fine so far but I wear it sparingly. Imagine how many the team must go through wearing them as work wear!

The quality of the stuff they're selling is absolutely rubbish, as other posters have pointed out. Ridiculous they charge so much for such low quality.

Jambo-Fox

I might be wrong but has Mike Ashley / Sports Direct not got their hands on the Castore ‘tiller’?

With the commercial aspects of distribution & sales largely (but not solely) driven by Sports Direct retail outlets & channels.

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I might be wrong but has Mike Ashley / Sports Direct not got their hands on the Castore ‘tiller’?

With the commercial aspects of distribution & sales largely (but not solely) driven by Sports Direct retail outlets & channels.

nothing to do with Ashley and certainly nothing to do with sports direct. 

https://www.soccerbible.com/news/2021/11/the-rise-of-castore/

Edited by kingantti1874

boag1874

If I’m reading that right I think Umbro will continue to produce the kits & Castore just have the license to sell it & market it. I hope so as Castore football kits have a terrible name

8 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Nope. Castore are a stand alone company. Ashley isn't involved. 

Ricardo Quaresma

I wonder if the club can object to this and bodyswerve this mob if they feel it's not right; umbro will be pulling the rug from under the club's feet here and I woder what the contract situation is

Spoiler

This mob are looking like ******* it up, lopping the quality off left, right and centre to cut costs...

Spoiler

:sob:

Jambo in Yorkshire
10 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

As I have said previously next season’s kit is at the design stage and will be Umbro. 

kingantti1874

Yup.   much ado about nothing. Umbro are recognising that Castore have a different market share and looking to use their network to their benefit and Castore will see more traffic on their channels. 

im sure, if at some point down the road we do end up with Castore kits then the early teething troubles will be a thing of the past

Edited by kingantti1874

Batistuta87
11 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yeah , looked good on the players when new , but it was absolutely shite quality wise 

Only some of them haha. Mind they used to cut about with big dobs of snottery looking vapo rub on their chests... That looked horrendous. Its the 2006 equivalent of cutting your socks 😂

PhoenixHearts
On 19/03/2024 at 21:17, rudi must stay said:

It's an upgrade on Umbro. They are making some really stylish kits 

It's really not. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

It's really not. 

in terms of aesthetics I think it is tbh.  Current kits are extremely meh imo. !

even the shade of maroon is wrong which is a challenge given the Pantone is clear.

Jambo-Fox
7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

nothing to do with Ashley and certainly nothing to do with sports direct. 

https://www.soccerbible.com/news/2021/11/the-rise-of-castore/

Castore confirm new business agreement with Frasers Group - formerly Sports Direct International.

https://x.com/graeme818/status/1547522044568506369?s=48&t=88sEieHO8KQqTU8euTMHbg

Edited by Jambo-Fox

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

in terms of aesthetics I think it is tbh.  Current kits are extremely meh imo. !

even the shade of maroon is wrong which is a challenge given the Pantone is clear.

Our home ones a shocker this year, appears to be very cheap material as well.

But that 150 year number 😍

Dalstonjambo
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Yep July 2022! And still valid Fraser Group sells Castore!

https://www.flannels.com/searchresults?descriptionfilter=Castore

My point was more it was coming across that you were presenting that as new information. Sorry for the confusion

Tie ups happen a lot in retail. It's nothing to do with ownership, just a method of exposure. Company my wife works for sell in a number of department stores. No ownership tie ins at all.

kingantti1874
Just now, Sir PH said:

That doesn't mean Ashley part owns Castore? Sports Direct also sell Adidas gear, does Ashley part own Adidas? 

🤣

Jambo-Fox
6 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

My point was more it was coming across that you were presenting that as new information. Sorry for the confusion

Tie ups happen a lot in retail. It's nothing to do with ownership, just a method of exposure. Company my wife works for sell in a number of department stores. No ownership tie ins at all.

Yep synergistic business opportunities.. 

I think I was influenced by the Newco vs Sports Direct commercial / legal clash, reality is as you say tie ups happen no matter how bitter previous relationships were …

Jambo-Fox
11 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

That doesn't mean Ashley part owns Castore? Sports Direct also sell Adidas gear, does Ashley part own Adidas? 

He doesn’t own Adidas but his brands do include Slazenger, Lonsdale and a few others!

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

He doesn’t own Adidas but his brands do include Slazenger, Lonsdale and a few others!

Aye, lower end sportswear. 

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

but not Castore.

Frasers sell lots of brands .

why when people are clearly wrong do they dig in ? Don’t get it 

Wee Mikey
On 20/03/2024 at 14:09, Sooks said:

This is how you do a hoody - simple and smart 

IMG_6504.jpeg

That ☝️, I'm guessing, would've been sold about the same time as I got my grey one.

It's been washed 20+ times and the decals are as good as new.

We don't seem to have anything similar in the store right now.

Screenshot_20240322_210859_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240322_210904_Gallery.jpg