Umbro and Castore

His name is

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

The Rangers fiasco has really hurt their reputation. They were completely out of their depth with those orders and I can see why they had QC issues. They still have some of those issues, but they are much fewer and far between. Most of their current issues are with printing sponsors and badges rather than with the actual quality of their stuff. The "wet" Villa kit looks like a failed experiment too but every company has tried new things that haven't worked. Look at Nike with the built-in t-shirt and Adidas with the super tight tops with built-in shoulder supports and Puma with their onesie. Just nah. 

My wee boy has a Newcastle top and I was in one of their shops recently having a nosey. Its absolutely fine and in fact I would say feels quite high quality. Would be more than happy having them as a kit supplier. They're new, they're going to have problems, but as a whole I'd say their stuff is pretty good. Some of the Wolves and Villa gear is cracking.

Would agree with that. I think people forget that they are a very new company relatively to a lot of other kit manufacturers. They only formed in 2015, so there was always going to be issues early on with quality control. As you say, taking on Rangers was one where they have bit off much more than they could chew early on. But they having taken on quite a few clubs since and with some issues seem to be improving all the time.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an Umbro Hearts hoody that is a thick soft cotton zip up . Tape up both arms and just the diamond and the Hearts badge on it . The best bit of Hearts leisurewear I have seen in years . Comfy and great for kicking about or wearing to and from and the gym ect 

That is the sort of basic and simple stuff I am inclined to buy . That period where we were producing shell material tracksuits and hoodies with light blue and white panels was a bad time for merch 

RustyRightPeg

Aston Villa have taken Castore to court over the quality of their kits. Sincerely hope we don't go down that path.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Castore taking some grief but by far the most superior piece of golf clothing I own is made by Castore in partnership with Reiss

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Castore taking some grief but by far the most superior piece of golf clothing I own is made by Castore in partnership with Reiss

if we ever turn into a golf club, they'll be worth considering then.  As a football club, sounds like their kit is shite.....

The choice of merchandise in the Hearts store is abysmal and overpriced. So Castore taking over might not be a bad thing, if it's true.

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

exact point I’ve been making mate.  Acknowledge there have been issues with their football kits.  However as a brand they are absolutely not cheap and absolute not operating at the lower end like Joma.  Very much positioned themselves  as a high end brand and their non football gear is very good .

I’d expect them to get on top of any quality control issues on the football front soon. 

Gundermann
8 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

if we ever turn into a golf club, they'll be worth considering then.  As a football club, sounds like their kit is shite.....

Apart from their 'brand' which now smells of Sevco to me, other clubs are ditching Castore apparently. Expensive but shite, so it seems.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/10/castore-face-losing-more-football-clubs.html

Chuck Berry
3 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Apart from their 'brand' which now smells of Sevco to me, other clubs are ditching Castore apparently. Expensive but shite, so it seems.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/10/castore-face-losing-more-football-clubs.html

That's not a good read.   If we're sticking with Umbro, hopefully it's not a Castore shirt with an Umbro logo stuck on it.

Gundermann
2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

That's not a good read.   If we're sticking with Umbro, hopefully it's not a Castore shirt with an Umbro logo stuck on it.

Modern capitalism... :facepalm:

All made by 9 year-olds in Bangladesh, whatever the price.

Costanza

Is this effectively Umbro outsourcing the strip manufacturing to Castore who can do it cheaper?

Doesn't really fill me with confidence tbh

So if Hearts become a golf team, Castore would be good.

If they remain a football, or become an F1 team...not good.

Edit: best steer clear of cricket too 😂

TELEMMGLPICT000352716115_16969616339460_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqeLdJG7o-YUU9kx5B377Rr1NzGINu5xKSjWxTq73Q53g.webp

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

So if Hearts become a golf team, Castore would be good.

If they remain a football, or become an F1 team...not good.

Edit: best steer clear of cricket too 😂

TELEMMGLPICT000352716115_16969616339460_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqeLdJG7o-YUU9kx5B377Rr1NzGINu5xKSjWxTq73Q53g.webp

It looks like all the strips were made by different companies :lol: 

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Most are probably just raging because they make Rangers kits.

🤭

You're probably joking, but the thing is, you’re probably correct.

That seems to be the way it goes here!

Just now, Morgan said:

🤭

I do not believe that is the case for most . Some possibly 

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

🤭

Couldn't care less if they make Rangers kit - but seems their are lots of teams /fans complaining about their kit being shite.

Batistuta87
3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I have an Umbro Hearts hoody that is a thick soft cotton zip up . Tape up both arms and just the diamond and the Hearts badge on it . The best bit of Hearts leisurewear I have seen in years . Comfy and great for kicking about or wearing to and from and the gym ect 

That is the sort of basic and simple stuff I am inclined to buy . That period where we were producing shell material tracksuits and hoodies with light blue and white panels was a bad time for merch 

We're still there with this utter monstrosity. 

image.png.cebb92cd6ea93101a800c1d1989917d3.png

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We're still there with this utter monstrosity. 

image.png.cebb92cd6ea93101a800c1d1989917d3.png

Yeah stuff like that can **** off too tbf 

Decent label / badge like Umbro , Adidas , Nike or whatever on a plain top with brand taping down the arms and club badge and colour is all you need for merch . Never bought any hoodies or training tops or whatever for years until the one I posted above 

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Decent label / badge like Umbro , Adidas , Nike or whatever on a plain top with brand taping down the arms and club badge and colour is all you need for merch . Never bought any hoodies or training tops or whatever for years until the one I posted above 

Swap the blue for maroon and stick a Hearts badge on this, and I'm buying it. 

image.png.639656a019d6bdb87247fa7244e2e433.png

Edited by Batistuta87

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Swap the blue for maroon, stick a Hearts badge on this, and I'm buying it. 

It’s decent enough , but not brilliant imo . Stick a Bearts badge on it and remove the horizontal strip , and make two versions with Martin as the main colour and white as the second , and do the reverse as well ………… I would give the club £70 - 90 for one . I appreciate that that is above market value for non branded , but I like giving money to Hearts 

Dalstonjambo

My in laws support Villa. Took my son along to a game and obviously got dragged into the shop. Some of their gear is superb. what struck me was it was all very simple. Almost all of it was either Maroon (it's not claret it's Maroon!) sky blue or white, with just a badge and a logo on it. Sometimes a small pattern but all very classical. 

My son got the below top. Good quality, and simple. Wish we had more stuff like this. 

Aston Villa Castore Away Match Day Anthem Jacket - Blue - Kids

If you look at this link, almost all of this would look great with our badge on, and is far better than our current options I think. 

https://shop.avfc.co.uk/en/aston-villa-training/t-20655348+d-3449099572+z-99-764970090

Batistuta87
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It’s decent enough , but not brilliant imo . Stick a Bearts badge on it and remove the horizontal strip , and make two versions with Martin as the main colour and white as the second , and do the reverse as well ………… I would give the club £70 - 90 for one . I appreciate that that is above market value for non branded , but I like giving money to Hearts 

Aye I'd go with that 👍

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

My in laws support Villa. Took my son along to a game and obviously got dragged into the shop. Some of their gear is superb. what struck me was it was all very simple. Almost all of it was either Maroon (it's not claret it's Maroon!) sky blue or white, with just a badge and a logo on it. Sometimes a small pattern but all very classical. 

My son got the below top. Good quality, and simple. Wish we had more stuff like this. 

If you look at this link, almost all of this would look great with our badge on, and is far better than our current options I think. 

https://shop.avfc.co.uk/en/aston-villa-training/t-20655348+d-3449099572+z-99-764970090

Some nice stuff on there - would look good in our colours. 

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye I'd go with that 👍

Genuinely appalled at the typos in my post and appreciate you realising and still answering ! 😄

4 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

That is decent tbf . Depends on the quality and type of material though too 

Bad Religion
19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Swap the blue for maroon and stick a Hearts badge on this, and I'm buying it. 

9 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Agreed, these items are much better than our current Umbro offerings. 

Quite excited by the idea of it being Castore if it’s happening. 

Edited by Bad Religion

Americana

Never understand why everybody holds Umbro in such high regard, its poor quality, poor fitting and pretty much on par with any sportswear they would punt in the retail market. One day we may get the swoosh.

10 minutes ago, Americana said:

Never understand why everybody holds Umbro in such high regard, its poor quality, poor fitting and pretty much on par with any sportswear they would punt in the retail market. One day we may get the swoosh.

I have bought kits as a collector for about 20 years now . The Umbro ones are light years ahead of -

Puma

Hummel

Reebok

Adidas

In that period

The reason I hold them in higher regard , is because apart from the 2014 Championship strip , none of the three designers above have been anything other than totally shan

Umbro have about a 90 % hit rate for Hearts tops 

I remember the shit off the peg efforts Hibs had with Nike ……….. no thanks 

Edited by Sooks

18 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Castore stuff is actually pretty good. No ide about tbe football tops but their other gear is at the higher end. 

I bought my missus a Red Bull F1 t-shirt for Christmas and the decals are already peeling off. This after taking nearly 4 weeks for it to be delivered. I'd hope Castore will have nothing to do with production or shipping.

gorgierulesapply88
18 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

I think I am right in saying that there is a Castore in Edinburgh Airport and that they stock Rangers strips - maybe we will see Hearts strips for sale there too?! There has been plenty clamour on here in the past for Hearts having a presence in the airport! 

JD Sports has the celtic tops on show in there too.

2 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

JD Sports has the celtic tops on show in there too.

Feel like I should congratulate you on removing that ****ing stupid profile phot of yours . What changed ? Have you grown up 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Bender said:

I bought my missus a Red Bull F1 t-shirt for Christmas and the decals are already peeling off. This after taking nearly 4 weeks for it to be delivered. I'd hope Castore will have nothing to do with production or shipping.

maybe the same manufacturer as the football tops.  Sounds fitting for the most loathesome team in F1 history 🤣😜

4 hours ago, Gundermann said:

The articles from October 23 and they now have even more clubs under there banner.

RustyRightPeg

I think I am right in saying that there is a Castore in Edinburgh Airport and that they stock Rangers strips - maybe we will see Hearts strips for sale there too?! There has been plenty clamour on here in the past for Hearts having a presence in the airport! 

They had a shop in St James Quarter that's been shut now too. Don't think I ever seen anyone in it.

Fraggle

There is one at the Outlet Mall in Livingston, it sells the Hun kits and other stuff that is equally as bogging.

Americana
57 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I have bought kits as a collector for about 20 years now . The Umbro ones are light years ahead of -

Puma

Hummel

Reebok

Adidas

In that period

The reason I hold them in higher regard , is because apart from the 2014 Championship strip , none of the three designers above have been anything other than totally shan

Umbro have about a 90 % hit rate for Hearts tops 

I remember the shit off the peg efforts Hibs had with Nike ……….. no thanks 

Wonder when your presented with a new kit supplier youre giving an economy, basic or premium option.

I quite liked Dundee Uniteds home Nike kit.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Genuinely appalled at the typos in my post and appreciate you realising and still answering ! 😄

You were close enough 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

Aye ok, point is they obviously are not complete idiots, unlike yourself judging by your wit 😉

henryheart
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

exact point I’ve been making mate.  Acknowledge there have been issues with their football kits.  However as a brand they are absolutely not cheap and absolute not operating at the lower end like Joma.  Very much positioned themselves  as a high end brand and their non football gear is very good .

I’d expect them to get on top of any quality control issues on the football front soon. 

II wasn't aware of issues with their football products, but I have an England cricket jumper and it is well made and hard wearing.

20 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Hearts won’t be venturing back in to fixed off site sole occupier retail anytime soon. Lost thousands the last time we did it. (Old St James centre)

Not doubting your info, as any City centre site would be hugely expensive to maintain.

Yet, I recently stumbled across a YT video of a store in the New St James Quarter (Not been back to the UK for a few years), after a quick search it seems to have only been a pop up shop at the tail end of last year, but suggests it could be something we were testing the water on.

Gundermann
2 hours ago, droid said:

The articles from October 23 and they now have even more clubs under there banner.

Mid season?

Redbull merchandise shit too. Unless you like your nips on show. 

Will this increase the costs for us to buy replica kits and so forth? Adding a middle man doesn't seem a great result for the consumer. 

Not been impressed with Castore at all, Rangers have had kit problems, Aston Villa have had problems. 

All a bit pish. Back up for me if not Umbro is Hummel: They produced some decent kits for us before, and look like they're stilla decent kit supplier (unlike ****ing Joma, Castore, Nike or Puma etc.)

Everton Hummel Home Shirt 2023-24

3 hours ago, Americana said:

I always thought it was a fair bit better than others...but, as magnificent as it looks, the quality on the third kit this year is shocking. It's like tracing paper 

3 hours ago, Bender said:

My decals are still on... probably because the zip fell off before I'd washed it enough for anything else to go wrong 😂

My replacement (touch wood) has been fine so far but I wear it sparingly. Imagine how many the team must go through wearing them as work wear!

tian447
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

Where, out of interest, did you ‘hear’ that Castore sportswear have been pretty poor quality?

It's pretty well documented.  Their shirts fabric is cheap and nasty, it falls apart at the seams, disintegrates at the slightest bit of contact, they use poor quality badges and transfers for the logos which fall off and crumble in the wash, if they can actually be arsed to put them on properly in the first place:

castore%20quality%20problems%20(1).jpg

crest.jpg

Castore%20Quality%20Problems%20Continue%

Castore%20Quality%20problems%20(2).jpg

castore%20lose%20teams%20%20(3).jpg

feyenoord%20kit%20rips%20(3).jpg

GettyImages-1467354900-1024x683.jpg

Yeah, that's what you expect from a shirt costing the best part of a hundred sheets. 

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, OTT said:

Will this increase the costs for us to buy replica kits and so forth? Adding a middle man doesn't seem a great result for the consumer. 

Not been impressed with Castore at all, Rangers have had kit problems, Aston Villa have had problems. 

All a bit pish. Back up for me if not Umbro is Hummel: They produced some decent kits for us before, and look like they're stilla decent kit supplier (unlike ****ing Joma, Castore, Nike or Puma etc.)

Everton Hummel Home Shirt 2023-24

that’s absolutely bogging 

tian447
7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would agree with that. I think people forget that they are a very new company relatively to a lot of other kit manufacturers. They only formed in 2015, so there was always going to be issues early on with quality control. As you say, taking on Rangers was one where they have bit off much more than they could chew early on. But they having taken on quite a few clubs since and with some issues seem to be improving all the time.

If a restaurant had opened 10 years ago, and it was selling shit quality food that gave people the runs, would you go to it, even if it's just because they are relatively new and having issues with quality control? 

Castore have had nearly a decade to sort their shit out, and they still haven't managed it. 

26 minutes ago, tian447 said:

It's pretty well documented.  Their shirts fabric is cheap and nasty, it falls apart at the seams, disintegrates at the slightest bit of contact, they use poor quality badges and transfers for the logos which fall off and crumble in the wash, if they can actually be arsed to put them on properly in the first place:

castore%20quality%20problems%20(1).jpg

crest.jpg

Castore%20Quality%20Problems%20Continue%

Castore%20Quality%20problems%20(2).jpg

castore%20lose%20teams%20%20(3).jpg

feyenoord%20kit%20rips%20(3).jpg

GettyImages-1467354900-1024x683.jpg

Yeah, that's what you expect from a shirt costing the best part of a hundred sheets. 

The upside down Wolves badge is my favourite.

Imagine making such crap for the actual team wear that's being worn by top clubs in front of hundreds of thousands. Surely that is where they devote most quality control. If you can't get that right, you've no hope with the fan wear really.

Edited by Taffin