Litter epidemic.

Sarah O

Sarah O

Despite never actually seeing anyone physically drop litter, everywhere I look, is absolutely chock full of discarded waste. *

Be it dog poo hanging on trees in bags, empty bottles in bushes, "disposable" vapes and their boxes, smashed glass, aluminium cans the list is endless. 

Our roadside verges around the country are absolutely disgusting. 

Who does this? Who actually just chucks stuff out their car windows or drops stuff outside for someone else to tidy up?

The sheer volume of it would suggest loads of people do. A depressing notion. 

Rant over. 

*Being based in Midlothian, it seems particularly bloody awful here. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim_Duncan

• Taffin

• henrysmithsgloves

• Cranston

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

indianajones

It's a massive issue UK wide. Gets better where there are less people but unfortunately we are surrounded by absolutely lazy and selfish *******s. 

Tramps. The lot on them. No excuse for it. 

Jim_Duncan

There are communal bins in some of the streets near us and they are always overflowing. Wealthy students constantly buying shit from Amazon and eating nothing but pizzas, Airbnb lets and takeaway restaurants dumping their stuff rather than paying for commercial uplifts seem to be the main issues. 

Even my neighbour gets their wheelie bin stuff wrong week after week, and the bin men just leave it. 

joondalupjambo

In our country area it is noticeable on the verges plus we have the usual washed up, and disregarded stuff on the beach as well.  Our view is we pick it up.  Every so often we take a few bags and just collect what we can.  It is a massive problem that Councils do not seem to want to tackle, and will no doubt cite cost, and the public just ignore it because the vast majority will say I never did it so not my problem.  We care less about who has done it, because fixing that is near on impossible so we just try to do our small part to keep it better where we can.

Edited by joondalupjambo

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, indianajones said:

It's a massive issue UK wide. Gets better where there are less people but unfortunately we are surrounded by absolutely lazy and selfish *******s. 

Tramps. The lot on them. No excuse for it. 

In a nutshell.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I didn't realise how bad our rural roadside's were until I took a bus through Perthshire recently. You don't notice it when driving but it's disgusting how Scottish people don't give a **** about their surroundings but many still say they are proud of the country. Then take it on yourselves not to be d**ks then!

Cairneyhill Jambo

If they banned McDonalds tomorrow, the litter polluting the countryside would reduce by more than half overnight.

Boils my piss the amount of their shite is thrown out of wee boy racer cars or workies vans.

henrysmithsgloves

Through here we get landscape gardeners and tyre places that just tip the full load in the middle of the road 😳 That's not including the man with a van brigade🤬🤬 The amount of gardening waste dumped has increased substantially since the "travelling community" have bought various pieces of land and set up encampments around the village, dunno might be connected 🤔🤔

1_PHOTO-2023-04-08-13-47-42.jpg

b25lY21zOmQ5MzkxNzBjLTVmOWEtNDU3ZS04MDNhLTNjM2U3Mjg4MjY2Njo5YTViMmJlYi03ZWJmLTQzOGItODU0YS01NmVlM2Y1MWExNmU=.jpg

Bindy Badgy

Don't know what it's like now but, the street between my old school and the chippy used to be disgusting. Loads of discarded drinks cans, chocolate wrappers and other shit.

Sarah O
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

In our country area it is noticeable on the verges plus we have the usual washed up, and disregarded stuff on the beach as well.  Our view is we pick it up.  Every so often we take a few bags and just collect what we can.  It is a massive problem that Councils do not seem to want to tackle, and will no doubt cite cost, and the public just ignore it because the vast majority will say I never did it so not my problem.  We care less about who has done it, because fixing that is near on impossible so we just try to do our small part to keep it better where we can.

The cost is one thing I've been thinking about. 

Surely community service could be doing taking on some litter picks. 

JudyJudyJudy

Pet hate of mine is litter too . No need for it . 

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

I am sure that local Community Groups in various areas will do regular clean up's using volunteers. Beach clean up'p by volunteers are common.  Also I have seen groups of guys alongside motorway verges picking up litter and thought at the time that they could be Community Service blokes.  

Capitalism and consumption of the associated products. Every day we're buying stuff in packaging that we won't need after we've used the product.

People caught fly tipping should be hung, drawn and quartered.

henrysmithsgloves
19 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Local clowncil got shot of staff last year, saying that ,not one conviction for fly tipping 😳 even though it's an epidemic here🤬 https://news.stv.tv/east-central/falkirk-fly-tipping-environmental-enforcement-officer-redundancies-will-make-area-scotlands-dumping-ground

Shooter McGavin

Proper scruffy ^^^^ behavour.

Ignorant rats with no respect for themselves, or their area.

I think part of the problem is so much of it is plastic (bottles etc) and metal cans that don’t rot away.  I don’t know but I suspect plastic-lined paper coffee cups take years to disintegrate too.

Big (and I mean big) deposits on plastic bottles and cans should make a big difference.  Maybe on paper coffee cups too - or maybe even ban them.

SectionDJambo

My part of Midlothian also has grass verges  strewn with rubbish. Possibly blown down the road in the frequent strong winds, but probably flung out of car windows in the first place. Save tne planet, right enough.

Near the end of a street nearby, there has been an tyre lying on the pavement for weeks. It came off a bin lorry that was getting a puncture repair. I know this because I was walking by at the time. I'm fairly sure it was a council bin lorry, but not 100% sure. Whoever owned that vehicle, and the people sent out to do the repair, just left the damaged tyre behind.

Bindy Badgy
31 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I think part of the problem is so much of it is plastic (bottles etc) and metal cans that don’t rot away.  I don’t know but I suspect plastic-lined paper coffee cups take years to disintegrate too.

Big (and I mean big) deposits on plastic bottles and cans should make a big difference.  Maybe on paper coffee cups too - or maybe even ban them.

In countries like Norway, Sweden, and Germany, you pay extra for items that come in bottles and cans. When you return the rubbish you get a voucher to get a discount on your shopping. Very easy to implement and can have a big impact on the amount of litter.

Fly tipping of household stuff like old mattresses, wardrobes, sofas etc is in a lot of cases down to folk having to resort to dodgy man with a van types because it takes 6-8 weeks at times to get the council to come and pick it up

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

If they banned McDonalds tomorrow, the litter polluting the countryside would reduce by more than half overnight.

Boils my piss the amount of their shite is thrown out of wee boy racer cars or workies vans.

Read recently they are looking to have car registration details added to the packaging bought by drive thru so any litter can be traced back.

Moving away fae just been able to go to a dump and instead using online bookings for slots I’d imagine has caused some extra littering. Boy we do work for is in Falkirk area and he just pays someone to take his shit and dump it wherever  now instead of going through the online procedure cause he cba.

25 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Fly tipping of household stuff like old mattresses, wardrobes, sofas etc is in a lot of cases down to folk having to resort to dodgy man with a van types because it takes 6-8 weeks at times to get the council to come and pick it up

Beat me to it lol 

Spellczech

The ones I really hate are the people who chuck cans out of vehicle windows on motorways and dual carriageways. Once again had to do a major swerve near Blantyre when through in the west to avoid a flattened can being frisbee'd at me by the 4x4 in front...

Spellczech
2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I remember walking past the McDonalds on Oxford street to the north of Soho late at night and the bags of rubbish were piled head high and stretched for about 15 metres - it was incredible...That was one day's output.

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Read recently they are looking to have car registration details added to the packaging bought by drive thru so any litter can be traced back.

Good idea actually.

£250 fines dished out in the post, if it doesn't get paid within 6 weeks, then it doubles. Sort these scruffy c**** out.

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Good idea actually.

£250 fines dished out in the post, if it doesn't get paid within 6 weeks, then it doubles. Sort these scruffy c**** out.

Great idea, but will never work in practice.

Driver will deny he was the driver at the time, the cost to chase defeats the point and lawyers get involved

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Driver will deny he was the driver at the time, the cost to chase defeats the point and lawyers get involved

Impound the car.

Shooter McGavin
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

To be honest, folk en masse could do that right now when it comes to traffic cams catching them speeding, but they don't really, most just cough up and take the hit. The incentive is to cough up to avoid paying thousands in lawyers fees.

I reckon the bigger issue is folk would just rip the sticker that contains their reg number off the packaging, and launch it out their window anyway.

Spellczech
30 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

To be honest, folk en masse could do that right now when it comes to traffic cams catching them speeding, but they don't really, most just cough up and take the hit. The incentive is to cough up to avoid paying thousands in lawyers fees.

I reckon the bigger issue is folk would just rip the sticker that contains their reg number off the packaging, and launch it out their window anyway.

You have to tax at source - tax the McDonalds restaurant for every carton they purchase.

The difficulty is always demarcation of the line - gets expensive when you want to include the independent kebab shop...

If you say "chain of 10+ outlets" you have to word it so that this includes franchises where the parent is not the owner of the restaurant but just the brand...

Edited by Spellczech

cuthy2k

in my experience, 90% of those I've seen dropping litter, or throwing it from their van windows are 'workies' and 'workies vans'. Much be a macho thing. 

Edited by cuthy2k

Jim_Duncan
4 minutes ago, cuthy2k said:

in my experience, 90% of those I've seen dropping litter, or throwing it from their van windows are 'workies' and 'workies vans'. Much be a macho thing. 

Same goes for driving while looking at their phone. 

Jim_Duncan
39 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You have to tax at source - tax the McDonalds restaurant for every carton they purchase.

The difficulty is always demarcation of the line - gets expensive when you want to include the independent kebab shop...

If you say "chain of 10+ outlets" you have to word it so that this includes franchises where the parent is not the owner of the restaurant but just the brand...

Shut down all fast food restaurants for 12 months. The savings to the nation’s health and environment would be huge. 

Edited by Jim_Duncan

PortyJambo

Was driving past Cameron Toll one day and saw a couple of teenagers just chucking their rubbish to the ground...right after they walked a couple of yards past a bin. Boils my piss that people are too lazy/selfish to even take the effort to put stuff in the bin, and then likely moan about the state of the streets.

Living in Portobello for years, it was the same seeing the state of the beach and prom the morning after a sunny day. Yes, often the bins were overflowing but it was clear many people thought it was fine to just leave disposable BBQ's, empty cans, etc just lying about "someone else will clear it up" 😡

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Was driving past Cameron Toll one day and saw a couple of teenagers just chucking their rubbish to the ground...right after they walked a couple of yards past a bin. Boils my piss that people are too lazy/selfish to even take the effort to put stuff in the bin, and then likely moan about the state of the streets.

Living in Portobello for years, it was the same seeing the state of the beach and prom the morning after a sunny day. Yes, often the bins were overflowing but it was clear many people thought it was fine to just leave disposable BBQ's, empty cans, etc just lying about "someone else will clear it up" 😡

At Causewayside last week, a wee boy was trying to put his apple core into a locked commercial bin. His mother watched as he tried and failed to open it, then just left it on top. It rolled off and landed on the pavement. He shrugged and, still watched by his mother, walked away. As a grumpy git, I was only too happy to pick it up, quicken my stride and hand the apple to the mother. To her credit she took it and apologised, but what a nonsense!

The public bin, twenty metres down the road, was overflowing and had a smashed wine bottle in front of it.

People are arseholes. 
The council are arseholes. 

AndyNic

Last summer I was walking with my 6yo to the park... 2 lassies walking along just drop their litter on the pavement. I said come on lassies pick that up there's a bin is right there and they told me to **** off and called me a paedo :lol:

Little c****. 

Des Lynam
17 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

At Causewayside last week, a wee boy was trying to put his apple core into a locked commercial bin. His mother watched as he tried and failed to open it, then just left it on top. It rolled off and landed on the pavement. He shrugged and, still watched by his mother, walked away. As a grumpy git, I was only too happy to pick it up, quicken my stride and hand the apple to the mother. To her credit she took it and apologised, but what a nonsense!

The public bin, twenty metres down the road, was overflowing and had a smashed wine bottle in front of it.

People are arseholes. 
The council are arseholes. 

Would you have been so brave if it was workies though Jonesy? 

:sergioyay:

Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Despite never actually seeing anyone physically drop litter, everywhere I look, is absolutely chock full of discarded waste. *

Be it dog poo hanging on trees in bags, empty bottles in bushes, "disposable" vapes and their boxes, smashed glass, aluminium cans the list is endless. 

Who does this? Who actually just chucks stuff out their car windows or drops stuff outside for someone else to tidy up?

Rant over. 

I noticed whilst holidaying in north wales a few weeks back that the sides of the A55(dual carriageway) were remarkably litter free. Traveling back home to Stirling we approached the outskirts of hamilton and it looked like bins had been emptied all over the verges?!?

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

It is poor the council turnaround but that's not an excuse imo. Hire a van, take it to the dump or pay a reputable company to take it away. Just because people don't want something anymore it doesn't suddenly become someone else's problem to deal with.

18 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Would you have been so brave if it was workies though Jonesy

:sergioyay:

Hold up. I've been reading Jim Duncan's posts thinking 'good poster, liking his style'...it's not the return of Jonesy is it?!?

Sarah O
36 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Last summer I was walking with my 6yo to the park... 2 lassies walking along just drop their litter on the pavement. I said come on lassies pick that up there's a bin is right there and they told me to **** off and called me a paedo :lol:

Little c****. 

:gok: 

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It is poor the council turnaround but that's not an excuse imo. Hire a van, take it to the dump or pay a reputable company to take it away. Just because people don't want something anymore it doesn't suddenly become someone else's problem to deal with.

I get that but people will take the cheapest option/path of least resistance

man with van - 2min google and will remove whatever you need next day for £20 

or

6-8 week wait for council doorstep collection

hire a van, book a slot at the dump and physically have to load/unload yourself

Spend hours checking credentials of man with a van to avoid flytipping

10 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I get that but people will take the cheapest option/path of least resistance

man with van - 2min google and will remove whatever you need next day for £20 

or

6-8 week wait for council doorstep collection

hire a van, book a slot at the dump and physically have to load/unload yourself

Spend hours checking credentials of man with a van to avoid flytipping

Yeh, people are lazy arseholes...sort of my point 😂

joondalupjambo

Macdonald's are not the problem people who use Macdonald's, and throw their rubbish away onto the streets or out of car windows are.

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, KG1874 said:

Moving away fae just been able to go to a dump and instead using online bookings for slots I’d imagine has caused some extra littering. Boy we do work for is in Falkirk area and he just pays someone to take his shit and dump it wherever  now instead of going through the online procedure cause he cba.

Probably dumped up here🤬🤬

Jim_Duncan
41 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Macdonald's are not the problem people who use Macdonald's, and throw their rubbish away onto the streets or out of car windows are.

Then McDonalds should give people their food in edible containers. Fast food is a scourge. 

Canscot

I have been aware of the litter problem(particularly in Scotland) since the first time I returned on holiday after emigrating (about 45 yrs ago). 
I find it disgusting , as a visitor, the amount  of trash everywhere but especially on the verges of motorways in the central belt. 
In Canada we tend to have a bit of a problem when the snow melts in the spring. As it recedes, garbage is exposed. Then out come the bottle “pickers” to make money off the cans and bottles. The trash along highway's is usually taken care of by any number of community organizations ( Boy Scouts ,4H, Brownies, Girl Guides)etc, that take part in a government sponsored clean up every year. The government gives them money for their efforts which then helps these organizations do their work/programs for the kids etc. win, win for all. During the summer litter is generally not an issue though.  

joondalupjambo
13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Then McDonalds should give people their food in edible containers. Fast food is a scourge. 

Interesting 😀

been here before
10 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Rant over. 

Dug owners have to be the mankiest *******s on the face of the planet.

Edited by been here before

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sometimes the containers taste better than the takeaway 🤣