Litter epidemic.

Sarah O

Jim_Duncan
43 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Mind the okden days when it was possible to go for a walk in the park without a takeaway coffee?

I fear thatif you took the phone and takeaway coffee out of some folks' hands they would simply spin around in a circle and then collapse in a heap.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim_Duncan

• Taffin

• il Duce McTarkin

• henrysmithsgloves

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I can't help but think that, well intentioned as they are, these types of groups picking up litter (and there was one in Porty too) just give the council an excuse not to have to deal with the litter problem.

It's a Catch 22 scenario though, council can't/won't deal with the problem, so locals sick of it do it instead, which then means the council don't then have to do anything about it. Throw in the people who chuck their litter away seeing that it's "magically" removed the next time they go past and everyone, bar people that have to live with it, think the problem just goes away.

Agree with you it's a bit of a dilemma /catch 22.  Most of the litter seems to be thrown out of car and van windows, energy drinks cans, beer bottles(hopefully by the passengers not the drivers) and fast food wrappers I walk or cycle the back roads for exercise and it's a big problem here. Town and city centres it is usually bins overflowing, ie not being emptied often enough, or simply being ignored by manky folk. When I was a kid a common attitude was that dropping litter "kept somebody in a job".

11 hours ago, Cranston said:

Why don't the Council have the manpower, or funding to clear litter? Its one of their main tasks, to keep their areas free from litter and fly tipping?

They do seem to tackle fly tipping quite promptly here - West Lothian.  As for litter picking they probably don't see it as a high priority.  14 years of declining (not keeping pace with inflation) budgets from Westminster hasn't helped. Particularly upsetting given the billions found then pissed away on corrupt/ dubious covid contracts to Tory party members and doners.

4 day working week, 5th is spent carrying out work in your community. 

I could get on board with that.

henrysmithsgloves

What's white and sleeps five?

Spoiler

Your local council van🤣

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Count me in.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I fear thatif you took the phone and takeaway coffee out of some folks' hands they would simply spin around in a circle and then collapse in a heap.

😅, very good.   

Jim_Duncan
33 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Then two days on the lash, boozing in the streets, disposable bbq in the local park and a punch up. Rinse and repeat. 

Cranston
12 hours ago, EIEIO said:

They do seem to tackle fly tipping quite promptly here - West Lothian.  As for litter picking they probably don't see it as a high priority.  14 years of declining (not keeping pace with inflation) budgets from Westminster hasn't helped. Particularly upsetting given the billions found then pissed away on corrupt/ dubious covid contracts to Tory party members and doners.

I'm not a tory, but for goodness sakes, westminster budgets aren't relevant when it comes to core responsibilities like keeping the areas clean and tidy. Lets stop pissing money away on ever rising public salaries and perks. We're going down the rabbit hole on wages and salaries, who gives a damn in councils these days about 'budgets'. They're too busy lording it up on our council tax and other taxes, parking charges, other dreamt up money guzzling 'projects' that hoover up citizens hard earned. We need a citizens revolution against these town hall fraudsters.