Scotland Squad. How many Jambos?

Graeme Russell

Graeme Russell

Squad named tomorrow, going for 3 and potential 4

Clark, Shankland, Gordon and perhaps Kingsley.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• HeartsandonlyHearts

Jambo-Fox

I predict a national football manager will name x2 goalkeepers from the same club in their international squad tomorrow!!

Had this ever happened before?

Craig Gordon & Zander Clark!

Stephen Kingsley should be selected ahead of Greg Taylor every day of the week. 

Doc Rob
14 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I would be amazed if we have 3 named.

Genuinely puzzled. At this stage it would be astonishing if Clarke doesn’t pick Shankland. He’s on fire right now. And it would be no surprise if both Gordon and Clark were to go. We need to take three keepers, and the only alternative is Kelly. I think they’ll both be named - Gordon’s experience will count for a lot.

HeartsandonlyHearts
17 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Genuinely puzzled. At this stage it would be astonishing if Clarke doesn’t pick Shankland. He’s on fire right now. And it would be no surprise if both Gordon and Clark were to go. We need to take three keepers, and the only alternative is Kelly. I think they’ll both be named - Gordon’s experience will count for a lot.

I hope you’re right. 
Clark has done nothing wrong since breaking into the squad.

Shankland is the hottest Scottish forward bar none right now.

Gordon is the one I fear for. He’s the best but not getting enough game time.

He’ll play in the semi and hopefully a final.

If we claim third early enough he may get league games for the last 5 games. That can only help him.

Unfortunately I believe Clark to a stubborn @$$. Taking Kelly over Gordon should be seen as a sackable offense.

JMO

Doc Rob
5 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I hope you’re right. 
Clark has done nothing wrong since breaking into the squad.

Shankland is the hottest Scottish forward bar none right now.

Gordon is the one I fear for. He’s the best but not getting enough game time.

He’ll play in the semi and hopefully a final.

If we claim third early enough he may get league games for the last 5 games. That can only help him.

Unfortunately I believe Clark to a stubborn @$$. Taking Kelly over Gordon should be seen as a sackable offense.

JMO

Both Clark and Kelly had a shot for Scotland. Neither did all that well, but Clark’s form is better.

Gordon I am certain will go. Clarke has to pick three keepers, and the third is never getting a game unless both the others get injured. Even if Clarke has zero intention of playing him, I think he’ll be in the squad for his experience and leadership.

RustyRightPeg

Gordon, Clark and Shankland. Kingsley a late call up for an injury withdrawal. 

Robbo-Jambo
29 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

This.

Although Kingsley shouldn't have to wait for that.

Benny Klack

It will only be two in my opinion - Clark & Shanks.

Would be very surprised if Gordon gets a call up on the back of 3 games.

Lord Montpelier

Shankland should start against Holland. 

Whether he gets much a look in if VVD plays, would feel unfair to judge him perhaps on one game

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Benny Klack said:

It will only be two in my opinion - Clark & Shanks.

Would be very surprised if Gordon gets a call up on the back of 3 games.

Clark was watching someone last night and it wasn’t Zander. He saw Shankland in the flesh against Celtic last weekend. 

He’s 100% been told CG was playing last night and wanted to see him. Made 3 really good saves and his distribution was on the money too. I think he plays the friendlies.

Benny Klack
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Clark was watching someone last night and it wasn’t Zander. He saw Shankland in the flesh against Celtic last weekend. 

He’s 100% been told CG was playing last night and wanted to see him. Made 3 really good saves and his distribution was on the money too. I think he plays the friendlies.

Hope you’re right mate but I just think it would be quite unlike Steve Clark to drop someone he’s been loyal to (Kelly).

Diadora Van Basten
8 hours ago, Sigma One said:

I'd like to see forest picked for a friendly.  Won't happen. 

If Clark has been paying attention to current form then Forrest should be in the squad as should Armstrong of Kilmarnock.

karipidis
8 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

You’d be amazed? I’d say it’s quite likely. 

BigAlim

Shankland and Clark are stick ons, Gordon is very much in the running with only Liam Kelly as an alternative. 

Kingsley really deserves a place but I reckon Clarke will stick with Greig Taylor as he’s been loyal to him since their killie days

kingantti1874

3 shanks, Zander and Gordon. I don’t think Kingsley will make it.  He unfortunately a full back and all of Scotland best players are full backs.

at left back we have Robertson, Tierney and Hickey who can all play there

soonbe110
8 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

It will be four 

soonbe110
42 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Hope you’re right mate but I just think it would be quite unlike Steve Clark to drop someone he’s been loyal to (Kelly).

What about his loyalty to Gordon?   He was out of the squad purely through injury.  Has now proved he is fit so surely Clark’s ‘loyalty’ would bring him back in? 

soonbe110
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

3 shanks, Zander and Gordon. I don’t think Kingsley will make it.  He unfortunately a full back and all of Scotland best players are full backs.

None  of them fully fit at the moment.  Hickey and Tierney have played about 60 mins between them in last couple of months. Robertson yet to regain his starting place with Liverpool. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Thats how I see it.

Gunn is first choice for Scotland, Clark is the best on form Scottish keeper and Gordon is the most experienced keeper. It makes sense to take all three to the Euros and so get all three in for the friendlies.

Shankland is obvious. As you say I dont think Kinglsey will be picked first but will be the first choice for any injuries in defence.

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hickey hasn't played since November and won't play until May at the earliest. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Clark and Shankland, be surprised if he picks Gordon after 3 games in over a year but me personally I'd have Gordon in squad aswell 

Benny Klack
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What about his loyalty to Gordon?   He was out of the squad purely through injury.  Has now proved he is fit so surely Clark’s ‘loyalty’ would bring him back in? 

Again, hope you are right - I just think Clark is a stubborn bugger and won’t let ‘sentiment’ come into it and go with the core 3 keepers who saw us through the campaign. Like I say though, hope you are right. 

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hickey hasn't played since November and won't play until May at the earliest. 

ah hadnt realised mate 👍🏻 he will go with Taylor then. Not that Taylor is a better player .

you can’t have too much of a go at Clark, but he’s stubborn.  Shanks won’t play any more than a bit part role either. He will stick with dykes and adams

Edited by kingantti1874

avhudtheteeshirt

I hope none, once we've confirmed 3rd, then the whole squad can be picked from!!!

Diadora Van Basten

Scotland squad in full

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark (Hearts), Craig Gordon (Hearts), Angus Gunn (Norwich), Liam Kelly (Motherwell)

Defenders: Liam Cooper (Leeds United), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Jack Hendry (Al-Ettifaq), Scott McKenna (FC Copenhagen), Nathan Patterson (Everton), Ryan Porteous (Watford), Anthony Ralston (Celtic), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), John Souttar (Rangers), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Real Sociedad)

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Lewis Ferguson (Bologna), Billy Gilmour (Brighton), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Kenny McLean (Norwich), Scott McTominay (Manchester United)

Forwards: Che Adams (Southampton), Lyndon Dykes (Queens Park Rangers), Lawrence Shankland (Hearts)

thehibsareintheirbeds

Great to see the 3 in there. Hoped kingsley or forrest may sneak in but not a huge shock. Hopefully those two (and Armstrong of killie) are on standby. Not a huge amount of options in wide/forward areas

RustyRightPeg

As someone else mentioned, how many other National Teams have selected two keepers from the same team?! I'm sure it's happened but struggling to think who...

BigAlim
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

As someone else mentioned, how many other National Teams have selected two keepers from the same team?! I'm sure it's happened but struggling to think who...

Was there ever a crossover with McGregor, McLaughlin or McCrorie at rangers?

Jambo-Fox

Have two goalkeepers from the same club ever previously been picked for the same national squad?

I mean it's brilliant but absolutely incredible that Kingsley has been overlooked, he has been outstanding this season, LCB,RCB,LB,LWB he has played them all and always looked calm, assured, classy and is playing every week.
Even as a look at him for backup

BigAlim
1 minute ago, Bozi said:

I mean it's brilliant but absolutely incredible that Kingsley has been overlooked, he has been outstanding this season, LCB,RCB,LB,LWB he has played them all and always looked calm, assured, classy and is playing every week.

Aye I must say I’ve never seen Liam Cooper have a good game for club or country, got a couple of Leeds mates who’ve been wanting shot of him for years

Independence

Congratulations to all three Hearts players who are helping to increase  our visibility and show we are in a great position. There are few others knocking on the door. This will also assist signing new players. Well done everyone connected to HMFC!

PapaShango
6 minutes ago, Bozi said:

He's a far better player than Taylor that's for sure. How him and Ralston make squads is a complete mystery.

PapaShango
20 minutes ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

Great to see the 3 in there. Hoped kingsley or forrest may sneak in but not a huge shock. Hopefully those two (and Armstrong of killie) are on standby. Not a huge amount of options in wide/forward areas

Surely don't need 4 keepers. Would have been better off giving someone in form a place and run out in a friendly to see how they do. 

OmiyaHearts

I don't think clarke watches old firm games. If he did, Ralston and Souttar would not be in there

heartsfc_fan

Brilliant to see 3 picked.

I'd imagine with 4 keepers being selected they will be closely watched as I think 3 can only go to the Euros?

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Not forgetting "Kingsley Territory".

OmiyaHearts
3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

He's a far better player than Taylor that's for sure. How him and Ralston make squads is a complete mystery.

It's not really. They wear the 'correct'  jersey.

OmiyaHearts
10 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Clarke doesn't seem to pick many players based on form, unfortunately.

Bunny Munro

I think 4 will drop out of that squad for the euros. 2 to get it down to 23, and 2 to be replaced with Hickey and McGregor. I'd assume Ralston, Cooper, Taylor and one of the keepers. The current squad has far too many defenders.

innerjambo

Anyone know the latest on Hickey's injury?

Seems to have been out for a long time now.

Huge congratulations to Craig Gordon and Kudos to Shanks and Zander.

Great to see Hearts players involved.