Scotland Squad. How many Jambos?

Graeme Russell

Doc Rob
4 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

The problem for Gordon is that Gunn has been injured and missed a few internationals. In normal circumstances I would have expected CG to get a run out in the friendlies but Gunn needs games too. Difficult one for Clarke as I'm sure he would have liked to have had CG back at least as his number 2. It's quite telling that he remarked that he has only had 3 games against poor opposition. My feeling is CG needs more games to be sure of going to the Euros. Hopefully two more cup games to go where he will certainly be tested more. 

A start in a friendly would do his chances the world of good. 

I honestly don’t see any advantage to Clarke in NOT taking Gordon to Germany. If he doesn’t make the squad as the recognised #2 to Gunn, I think he’s guaranteed to travel as keeper #3 (who will never play barring very unlikely circumstances), because he will be a great influence in the squad. And because otherwise Clarke is picking both Clark and Kelly instead.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• HeartsandonlyHearts

AndrewB

So, as many from HMFC as Celtic + Rangers combined?
No club has more in the squad than us (Norwich also have 3).

Am I right with both of these as it is mind-boggling?

The Treasurer
24 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Can't be many times that a club has had two goalkeepers in the same international squad, and not just for Scotland 

tiger Rudi
11 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

He's been Southampton's player of the season mate. In the form of his life and an absolute certainty.

Glad to hear it. Tbh I made the assessment without really knowing what his current form was like. Pretty stupid :)

Looking at the squad, Taylor is the only one that jumps out as expendable. Injuries, fitness and club game-time, will have a bearing on final selection nearer the time. Fingers crossed nobody has to drop out for any of the above reasons. 

Gundermann
10 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Not unusual for Sevco to start with no Scots, certainly when Souttar is absent. 

19 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just heard Gary Locke say Allan Forrest should be in there too 😆

I said this on a group chat recently . I stand by it . That is not to say Forrest is a world class player , it is more a spotlight on where we are pretty weak these days in the national team . A couple of friendlies would have been a good time to get a look at him and Kingsley 

Tynecastle Valhalla

Kingsley is seen as too slow by Clarke - I’m not saying I agree with that btw. He is brilliant in my view.

a left sided centre back that can also play left back is a good thing.

he's better than Greg taylor 

Horatio Caine

On the conundrum of whether CG should be in the squad for the Euros, we should remember that for quite a stretch Jon McLaughlin was in the squad, despite being #2 at Rangers and only playing in their cup games.

Craig will continue his Cup run. Play a blinder against Rangers and save all penalties against Aberdeen in the final and take his rightful place as number 1 for Scotland in the Euros.  
You heard it first here. 

Mikey1874

The friendly v N.Ireland on 26 March will be live on the BBC (BBC3).

As will the home friendly v Finland in June. 

Goldstone Wonder
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

I said this on a group chat recently . I stand by it . That is not to say Forrest is a world class player , it is more a spotlight on where we are pretty weak these days in the national team . A couple of friendlies would have been a good time to get a look at him and Kingsley 

I suggested this too. I can't see that he can be far away from Clarke's thoughts. There have been few better players in Scotland over the last couple of months. 

Just now, Goldstone Wonder said:

I suggested this too. I can't see that he can be far away from Clarke's thoughts. There have been few better players in Scotland over the last couple of months. 

Inalso think if McKay had not been injured all season then he would get a call up for these friendlies . It is a definite weak position for Scotland 

BigAlim

I don’t see Forrest getting near this group honestly. Clarke already seems annoyed that he’s had to pick Shanks

6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I don’t see Forrest getting near this group honestly. Clarke already seems annoyed that he’s had to pick Shanks

My worry about this , is that Clarke is such a stubborn ***** . He has already went on record as saying that he has his favourites who did well for him in the past . My issue is that the clamour for Shankland to be recognised as our best goal scoring option will actually go against him . Clarke hates to be challenged , and he will be minded to get results with his two favourites leading the line 

We have a big game only 4 days after this. Quite happy if Shanks just gets the 2nd half.

boag1874

Shankland coming off the bench is fine by me - the important thing is that his form is recognised by being there rather than someone like McBurnie or Brown who haven't shown even close to enough when selected.

Dykes/Adams have led the line in the best Scotland team in my lifetime and Clarke knows how to set us up to get the best out of us so if we want to stick with what's been working then fine by me. What Shanks does give us is an option to mix things up where required, for example when we were chasing a goal v Georgia.

Luckies1874
15 minutes ago, Serge said:

We have a big game only 4 days after this. Quite happy if Shanks just gets the 2nd half.

We play in Amsterdam on Friday 22nd as well. 

21 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

:vrface:

The paranoia on here is truly remarkable. 

Normally I'd agree but Clarke is a complete helmet who'd happily cut off his nose to spite his face.

Luckies1874
Just now, Taffin said:

Normally I'd agree but Clarke is a complete helmet who'd happily cut off his nose to spite his face.

I love Steve Clarke and think he has done a fantastic job for Scotland, so completely disagree with your view! 😂

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

I love Steve Clarke and think he has done a fantastic job for Scotland, so completely disagree with your view! 😂

I don't disagree that on the whole he's done a fantastic job. Once getting to the last Euros (amazing achievement), what he churned out was comical, particularly with Marshall in the sticks.

Luckies1874
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't disagree that on the whole he's done a fantastic job. Once getting to the last Euros (amazing achievement), what he churned out was comical, particularly with Marshall in the sticks.

We played brilliantly at Wembley and were disappointing in the 2 games played at Hampden (all be it played in front of small Covid impacted crowds). The team has evolved and developed significantly since then and there is every reason for optimism. People still greeting about Marshall playing, having played a huge role in getting us to our first Championships in over 20 years, are ridiculous, in my opinion. 

Byyy The Light
37 minutes ago, Sooks said:

My worry about this , is that Clarke is such a stubborn ***** . He has already went on record as saying that he has his favourites who did well for him in the past . My issue is that the clamour for Shankland to be recognised as our best goal scoring option will actually go against him . Clarke hates to be challenged , and he will be minded to get results with his two favourites leading the line 

Clarke is stubborn to his preferred style

of play. Extremely mobile forwards who cover the ground and press from the front are what he likes. That’s not Shankland.

Impact sub with 30 mins to go and he can be a hero. 

Go for it 1308
56 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

He'd better not ply the 'loyalty ' crap card at the Euros. You play your in form striker. Torn faced little  *****

10 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Clarke is stubborn to his preferred style

of play. Extremely mobile forwards who cover the ground and press from the front are what he likes. That’s not Shankland.

Impact sub with 30 mins to go and he can be a hero. 

Shankland in the Hearts Shankland role with Adams in front of him would get goals

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Shankland in the Hearts Shankland role with Adams in front of him would get goals

Completely changes the shape and the game plan.

He likes to play McGinn there. 

8 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Completely changes the shape and the game plan.

He likes to play McGinn there. 

McGinn could easily take a wider deeper position behind the striker as part of a three beside Shanks and Christie for example 

Edited by Sooks

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

McGinn could easily take a wider deeper position. Thing the striker as part of a three beside Shanks and Christie for example 

You’re missing the point which is Clarke has a way of playing and will pick players that fit that.  If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Are there other options? Of course. Shankland isn’t exactly a Harry Kane or Gareth Bale. Scotland have qualified on merit without him so can’t really argue a case to reshuffle a whole system and team to accommodate him. 

Mikey1874

I've said before John McGinn keeps Shankland out of the Scotland team. 

But if he's going to start a game, then he has a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

You’re missing the point which is Clarke has a way of playing and will pick players that fit that.  If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Are there other options? Of course. Shankland isn’t exactly a Harry Kane or Gareth Bale. Scotland have qualified on merit without him so can’t really argue a case to reshuffle a whole system and team to accommodate him. 

I am not really missing the point . I agree that he does this . I am just suggesting a way where he could play the best goal scorer available to him , and not leave out any of his favourites 

Mikey1874

I am not really missing the point . I agree that he does this . I am just suggesting a way where he could play the best goal scorer available to him , and not leave out any of his favourites 

Top goalscorer plays deep lying midfield? 

Byyy The Light

And my original point it’s the system he favours, not the players.

If you play Shankland you can’t play the system and tactics Scotland like to play and have built their success on.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Top goalscorer plays deep lying midfield? 

Hope not ………. Not sure what you mean here tbh

Shankland in the 10 with Adams or Dykes in the 9 and McGinn and another option flanking Shanks is what I am suggesting 

1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

If you play Shankland you can’t play the system and tactics Scotland like to play and have built their success on.

I know , and I appreciate that is probably what will happen . I am just looking at the squad options and trying to think about how Clarke could use all his tried and trusted players but still find room for the best goal scorer Scotland has 

Mikey1874
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hope not ………. Not sure what you mean here tbh

Shankland in the 10 with Adams or Dykes in the 9 and McGinn and another option flanking Shanks is what I am suggesting 

What you seem to be suggesting (confused by the word 'deeper') for McGinn is what he does now. 

2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Clarkes loyalty to players could be his undoing at this tournament. There’s even Hibs fans who watch Scotland regularly questioning Clarke over Shanklands lack of game time.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

What you seem to be suggesting (confused by the word 'deeper') for McGinn is what he does now. 

Ah okay , sorry . I have probably maid a mess of a post somewhere . Another poster was unsure how Clarke could play McGinn and Shankland with one of his favoured strikers as a nine . I just suggested one of Adams or Dykes , Shanks in behind them centrally , and McGinn and another on either side of the three behind the nine 

I suppose my general point , is that any international manager who has a successful system and style , who suddenly finds himself with a goal scoring machine on his hands , would find a way of including him . Am I the only one who thinks this is a bizarre situation where it could even be suggested that Shankland spends the tournament on the bench 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Honestly I don’t think it’s that far fetched, there’s been worse call ups than Alan Forrest as a squaddie who’ll work his socks off and remind all the players what an honour it is. It would be a shrewd call up, if nothing else for how hard the wee man would work in training.

Sometimes that type of player is just what a squad needs, keeps the top guys honest and down to Earth, the message is, it’s hard work thats at the heart of everything that’s been achieved 

Luckies1874
20 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Honestly I don’t think it’s that far fetched, there’s been worse call ups than Alan Forrest as a squaddie who’ll work his socks off and remind all the players what an honour it is. It would be a shrewd call up, if nothing else for how hard the wee man would work in training.

Sometimes that type of player is just what a squad needs, keeps the top guys honest and down to Earth, the message is, it’s hard work thats at the heart of everything that’s been achieved 

Who are you leaving out the Scotland squad for Allan Forest ?

Edited by Luckies1874

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

For a couple of friendlies ? There are a few I would leave out in order to look at possible players on the fringes 

Luckies1874
14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

For a couple of friendlies ? There are a few I would leave out in order to look at possible players on the fringes 

We play in a major tournament in 3 months!! Forrest, decent season though he’s having for Hearts, is nowhere near the Scotland squad, nor should he be. The squad is picked with the summer in mind. The likes of Ralston and Taylor involved due to the current ongoing injury to Hickey and continuous injuries to the likes of Souttar, Hanley and Tierney, as well lack of game time  light Cooper meaning there remains doubt as to the make up of the defensive picks. There are no such question marks further forward in the side. This is not a time to be experimenting a great deal. Two players who have so far not been given huge minutes; Ferguson and Shankland, will get a chance to make more of a claim for bigger roles in June and both clearly are stuck on a fit the squad. It will also be interesting to see who plays what minutes in goal, though Gunn is clearly the No1. Personally I think Kelly is only there because of his involvement recently and with the future in mind, I fully expect the 3 to now be Gunn, Clark and Gordon. 

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

We play in a major tournament in 3 months!! Forrest, decent season though he’s having for Hearts, is nowhere near the Scotland squad, nor should he be. The squad is picked with the summer in mind. The likes of Ralston and Taylor involved due to the current ongoing injury to Hickey and continuous injuries to the likes of Souttar, Hanley and Tierney, as well lack of game time  light Cooper meaning there remains doubt as to the make up of the defensive picks. There are no such question marks further forward in the side. This is not a time to be experimenting a great deal. Two players who have so far not been given huge minutes; Ferguson and Shankland, will get a chance to make more of a claim for bigger roles in June and both clearly are stuck on a fit the squad. It will also be interesting to see who plays what minutes in goal, though Gunn is clearly the No1. Personally I think Kelly is only there because of his involvement recently and with the future in mind, I fully expect the 3 to now be Gunn, Clark and Gordon. 

Yeah cool . Probably right , I read half of your post and the exclamation marks put me off a wee bit :lol:

just going to stick with what I said originally , these are good games to take a wee look at players who are on the fringes imo . Peace though ✌️ 

VALDOS'

If Shankland and Ferguson aren't at the front of Clarkes mind, then I genuinely don't know what he wants out of this other than a jolly, you go with in form players.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Porto.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

If Shankland and Ferguson aren't at the front of Clarkes mind, then I genuinely don't know what he wants out of this other than a jolly, you go with in form players.

Never really been the Clarke way. He’s a system manager with a wee team mentality. That’s why there’s so many defenders and holding midfielders. But you can’t really argue with the outcomes, the man has brought tournament football back and got the best out the squaddies he’s had 

PortyJambo

Scotland top launched for the Euros.... :yucky:

Edited by PortyJambo

Ex member of the SaS

I have a slight concern that our players will be the fall guys if we fail in Germany. Big Craig in goals and Shanks playing striker, one lets in a goal and  the other misses a sitter and every fan in the country blaming them for failure in the whole comp. Can only hope this doesn't happen and we give a good account of ourselves.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Scotland top launched for the Euros.... :yucky:

That's so shite. I expected/hoped for so much better. 

18 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

What he did didn't work last time.