Scotland Squad. How many Jambos?

Graeme Russell

Diadora Van Basten

I think it’s good management by Clark to take four keepers rather than the normal three.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• HeartsandonlyHearts

PapaShango
1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think it’s good management by Clark to take four keepers rather than the normal three.

I don't think you can take 4 to the Euro's though, think 3 is the maximum. 

BigAlim

Clearly the keepers will be assessed closely in training and in games so that we can assess how shite Kelly is compared to the other three

20 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

I think 4 will drop out of that squad for the euros. 2 to get it down to 23, and 2 to be replaced with Hickey and McGregor. I'd assume Ralston, Cooper, Taylor and one of the keepers. The current squad has far too many defenders.

I think this is pretty close but suspect Taylor might make it as he could want four wing-backs. Not saying I'd take him!

In which case, someone else drops out. Either another CB or a midfielder.

Benny Klack

Well surprised with Clark calling up Gordon - but delighted for the big man. Class keeper and classy guy. Well done Craig.

Fair play to Steve Clark - didn’t expect him to call up CG. 👏👏👏

Fantastic!   Well done Shankland, Clark and Gordon.  🫡

Steve Clarke presser coming on SkyS news soon

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Clearly the keepers will be assessed closely in training and in games so that we can assess how shite Kelly is compared to the other three

Kelly is shite. He couldn't even tighten the velcro of our 2 keepers gloves.

HeartsandonlyHearts
11 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Both Clark and Kelly had a shot for Scotland. Neither did all that well, but Clark’s form is better.

Gordon I am certain will go. Clarke has to pick three keepers, and the third is never getting a game unless both the others get injured. Even if Clarke has zero intention of playing him, I think he’ll be in the squad for his experience and leadership.

👍🏻

HeartsandonlyHearts
50 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Was there ever a crossover with McGregor, McLaughlin or McCrorie at rangers?

42 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I don't think clarke watches old firm games. If he did, Ralston and Souttar would not be in there

He doesn’t need to watch. They’re all world class players. Even McCrorie. 🤦🏻

Craig Gordon will undoubtedly go to the Euros as he's the best keeper Scotland have. By some distance. 

Edited by Carter

HeartsandonlyHearts
44 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Clarke doesn't seem to pick many players based on form, unfortunately.

This. 

49 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

He's a far better player than Taylor that's for sure. How him and Ralston make squads is a complete mystery.

Because the play for Conspiracy/Victim/Persecuted FC. Both are incredibly average players it must be said. The alien keeps Ralston out of the side most weeks. 

Quite happy to have Kingsley focus solely on club tbh but I fully concur that he's a far better player than Taylor. I'd need to check the stats but I'm pretty sure Kingsley will have played as many games for Hearts as he did in his career to the point he joined us. It's been a move that's worked out superbly for both parties. Naismith understandably rates him very highly. Hopefully a new contract is being discussed as he's one of the best players at the club. 

Doc Rob
47 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Clarke doesn't seem to pick many players based on form, unfortunately.

Think this is a slightly harsh assessment. I think he does pick players who are in form. The problem is that he is overly loyal to players who have done it for him before, even when they are bang out of form. Hence Marshall going to the last Euros as first choice, which cost us badly.

Pasquale for King

Just heard Gary Locke say Allan Forrest should be in there too 😆

Mikey1874
12 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Think this is a slightly harsh assessment. I think he does pick players who are in form. The problem is that he is overly loyal to players who have done it for him before, even when they are bang out of form. Hence Marshall going to the last Euros as first choice, which cost us badly.

Dropped Jacob Brown.

meister

I think Liam Kelly will and should miss out on the Euros.

Craig Gordon brings so much experience with him, even if he doesn't play (and I don't think he will) it's a no brainer to take him and help guys like Gunn and Clarke out.

We do seem quite 'defence heavy' but that might be an indication of how we are going to play.

HeartsandonlyHearts

Stupid scenario I know but let’s say Forest scores a hat trick in every remaining Hearts game. Does he make the Germany squad?

meister

And as a wee aside, I do like seeing Scotland players plying their trade across Europe and further afield, when was the last time you had a Scotland squad with players from teams like

Real Sociedad

Al Ettifaq

Bologna

FC Copenhagen

Helfy positive to see !!

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Stupid scenario I know but let’s say Forest scores a hat trick in every remaining Hearts game. Does he make the Germany squad?

Probably not (sadly).

Luckies1874

Assuming everyone is fit and McGregor and Hickey are back playing that makes 27 players.

Kelly (obviously 4th choice out of the keepers), Cooper (not playing for Leeds), Ralston and Taylor (both on the periphery of things), are the 4 who will drop out. 

Luckies1874
22 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dropped Jacob Brown.

He's been out injured for weeks and will be for months mate. 

Luckies1874
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I don't think clarke watches old firm games. If he did, Ralston and Souttar would not be in there

Souttar has been superb for Rangers and their overall form has coincided with him being back fit week in week out. He's a possible starter for Scotland if this continues! 

Ralston won't be in Germany unless there are several injuries. This is a 25 man squad and Hickey and McGregor are certain picks in the 23 man squad. Kelly, Ralston and Taylor will all drop out + 1 other if everyone is available. 

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Can't figure that out at all, they'd be as well taking Grace Kelly and she's been deid 40 years.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Carter said:

Craig Gordon will undoubtedly go to the Euros as he's the best keeper Scotland have. By some distance. 

But Clarke has made the observation that he's only played cup games and that the level of opposition hasn't been high. I took that to be SC covering his bahookie and paving the way for possibly dropping Craig. 

wavydavy
52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dropped Jacob Brown.

I think he is injured.

Luckies1874
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gunn, Gordon, Clark should be the 3. 

They will be. 

They've done the decent thing by Kelly by including him in the upcoming squad for the March friendlies but the writing is on the wall for him now. Craig's performance last night, in front of Steve Clarke, will have cemented his place. His very presence, experience and professionalism is huge for the squad. He will obviously play in the semi v Rangers but I expect him to get a couple of post split starts too, with 3rd place wrapped up. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

This.

He was shocking in the cup game v Morton.

Hope Clarke witnessed that.

14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

But Clarke has made the observation that he's only played cup games and that the level of opposition hasn't been high. I took that to be SC covering his bahookie and paving the way for possibly dropping Craig. 

Time will tell I guess. I still believe we'll see CG back as first choice keeper at Hearts. 

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just heard Gary Locke say Allan Forrest should be in there too 😆

Sorry, that's nonsense.

2 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

How many have the hobos got in the squad?  🤭

Ryan Christie? Oh, hang on...:oopsoops:

Uncle Buck
2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Strange that Porteous, Cooper and McKenna are all in there and you’ve chosen to pick out Souttar. He’s miles better than those three.

Mikey1874
27 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Strange that Porteous, Cooper and McKenna are all in there and you’ve chosen to pick out Souttar. He’s miles better than those three.

Souttar has 15 clean sheets in his 26 starts for Rangers this season. 

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Couldn’t give a shit because we’ll have won the cup and finished 2nd in the league(probably)

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Couldn’t give a shit because we’ll have won the cup and finished 2nd in the league(probably)

We certainly would have to have had a mighty failure in defense to not at least have a cup win 😜

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It doesn't matter if its Maradonna or Jimmy McGuffy, if a dangerous shot comes at you, you've got to save it.  Actually a rather daft question from Clarke.  

I'm glad Craig got tested last night.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

"I'm not going to be taking all those centre-backs [to Germany]," Clarke said of the seven central defenders he has selected.

tiger Rudi

The problem for Gordon is that Gunn has been injured and missed a few internationals. In normal circumstances I would have expected CG to get a run out in the friendlies but Gunn needs games too. Difficult one for Clarke as I'm sure he would have liked to have had CG back at least as his number 2. It's quite telling that he remarked that he has only had 3 games against poor opposition. My feeling is CG needs more games to be sure of going to the Euros. Hopefully two more cup games to go where he will certainly be tested more. 

A start in a friendly would do his chances the world of good. 

ford donald
24 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

The problem for Gordon is that Gunn has been injured and missed a few internationals. In normal circumstances I would have expected CG to get a run out in the friendlies but Gunn needs games too. Difficult one for Clarke as I'm sure he would have liked to have had CG back at least as his number 2. It's quite telling that he remarked that he has only had 3 games against poor opposition. My feeling is CG needs more games to be sure of going to the Euros. Hopefully two more cup games to go where he will certainly be tested more. 

A start in a friendly would do his chances the world of good. 

I think this will happen.

Deevers

Thought that Kingsley might have been in with a shout. Mr consistent, and certainly as good if not better than some that have been picked.

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, Deevers said:

Thought that Kingsley might have been in with a shout. Mr consistent, and certainly as good if not better than some that have been picked.

The fact that he can cover several positions very well, should make him a certain pick 

BigAlim

This squad is only really missing McGregor and Hickey from the usual suspects. If you add those two then four of the players selected will miss out on the euros. 

Kelly, Ralston and Cooper certainly wouldn’t be in for me. Picking the extra man is actually quite difficult. 

Keepers

Gordon

Clark

Gunn

Right wing backs

Hickey

Patterson

Right centre backs

Porteous

Souttar

Central centre backs

Hendry

Hanley

Left centre backs

Tierney

McKenna

Left wing backs

Robertson

Taylor

Centre mids

McGregor

Gilmour

McLean

Ferguson

Attacking mids

McTominay

McGinn

Christie

Armstrong

Strikers

Shankland 

Adams

Dykes

Basically two for each spot in our system plus an extra striker and keeper. Realistically I’d want rid of Porteous but don’t think that’ll happen until he starts selling the jerseys

Luckies1874
9 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

This squad is only really missing McGregor and Hickey from the usual suspects. If you add those two then four of the players selected will miss out on the euros. 

Kelly, Ralston and Cooper certainly wouldn’t be in for me. Picking the extra man is actually quite difficult. 

Keepers

Gordon

Clark

Gunn

Right wing backs

Hickey

Patterson

Right centre backs

Porteous

Souttar

Central centre backs

Hendry

Hanley

Left centre backs

Tierney

McKenna

Left wing backs

Robertson

Taylor

Centre mids

McGregor

Gilmour

McLean

Ferguson

Attacking mids

McTominay

McGinn

Christie

Armstrong

Strikers

Shankland 

Adams

Dykes

Basically two for each spot in our system plus an extra striker and keeper. Realistically I’d want rid of Porteous but don’t think that’ll happen until he starts selling the jerseys

Assuming availability I think you have the 23 + Taylor who I believe will be the one who misses out. Tierney can play left wing back as can Hickey if absolutely necessary, so he is not required. 

Deevers
20 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The fact that he can cover several positions very well, should make him a certain pick 

Exactly.

Fxxx the SPFL

Hearing Clarke speak on BBC pretty obvious that Adams and Dykes are still his first choice 

tiger Rudi
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Assuming availability I think you have the 23 + Taylor who I believe will be the one who misses out. Tierney can play left wing back as can Hickey if absolutely necessary, so he is not required. 

I'd agree with you. Taylor should be the one that drops out.... For the reasons you stated. 

I'm not a big fan of Armstrong but he does have his uses. He would be next in line for missing out for me. 

Luckies1874
28 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I'd agree with you. Taylor should be the one that drops out.... For the reasons you stated. 

I'm not a big fan of Armstrong but he does have his uses. He would be next in line for missing out for me. 

He's been Southampton's player of the season mate. In the form of his life and an absolute certainty.

Section Q

Is this the first time that two goalkeepsers are selected from the same club.....?