Curry (What you cooking)

Rupert Pupkin

Jim_Duncan
14 hours ago, Morgan said:

What’s a Baltic?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Leftover curry served straight from the fridge.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• henrysmithsgloves

• Jim_Duncan

• Greedy Jambo

• Cranston

Konrad von Carstein
15 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I reckon Rick steins vindaloo is the best I've made, isn't a stupid amount of heat in it. Really good.

I've been following Swedish on the socials and there's some tasty stuff on there.

+1 for Rick's vindaloo....

Rupert Pupkin
19 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Enjoy a Bhuna but always seem to struggle to find a Bhuna sauce in the supermarket. Seen the picture of the Patak sauce in the previous post but always seems to be just a Baltic, masala, butter or the hotter stuff on the shelves.

Al’s 30min Bhuna is tremendous.. As he says Bhuna is a style of cooking, not really a sauce name.

Day@theraces
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

What’s a Baltic?  🤷🏿‍♂️

A Baltic out the freezer.

Day@theraces
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

What’s a Baltic?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Konrad von Carstein

Just had a Thai green curry with chicken and prawns, made from scratch, no pastes. Tremendous and so easy!

Greedy Jambo
55 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just had a Thai green curry with chicken and prawns, made from scratch, no pastes. Tremendous and so easy!

Thai green is pungent, reminds me of potpurrie

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Thai green is pungent, reminds me of potpurrie

:wtfvlad:

Greedy Jambo
18 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:wtfvlad:

Thanks for well thought-out input. 

From my experience, Thai green curries are pungent, and remind me of potpurrie, Just my opinion. 

Give me a chicken bhuna, a lamb rogan josh, or a mixed tandoori grill any day. 

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

From my experience, Thai green curries are pungent, and remind me of potpurrie, Just my opinion. 

You do realise the t in potpourri is silent? 

1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

Thanks.  👍

I still have no idea what a Baltic curry is though?

Greedy Jambo
35 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What do you take me for?

Greedy Jambo
35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks.  👍

I still have no idea what a Baltic curry is though?

Freezing cold oot the freezer 😂

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

What do you take me for?

I’ll plead the 5th on that one if you don’t mind. 

Konrad von Carstein
48 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You posting utter shite relentlessly got the response it deserved.

TGC is **** awesome, potpurrie :lol:

Did a slow-cooked lamb curry once, think it was bubbling away for 12 hours.

Fecking lovely, but the house stank for about a week afterwards!

henrysmithsgloves
15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Just like the P in pswimmingpool 🤫

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Did a slow-cooked lamb curry once, think it was bubbling away for 12 hours.

Fecking lovely, but the house stank for about a week afterwards!

Sign of a good curry 

th-3014662268.jpg

The new West End

Put me in the mood for a delivery

Who is best west Edinburgh?

Jim_Duncan

Got a load of chicken thighs and marinaded them in curry powder and yoghurt.

Rammed them all on two skewers and stuck the whole lot under the grill, turning frequently.

Had for dinner last night and leftovers this afternoon.

Lovely.

Day@theraces
4 hours ago, The new West End said:

Put me in the mood for a delivery

Who is best west Edinburgh?

Sure there's a few award winning ones on St Johns road.

JudyJudyJudy

Any curry recipe which is low sodium and sugar ? 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Sign of a good curry 

th-3014662268.jpg

Mind you i still laugh when i do a big fart...

R (8).gif

Vlad Magic

For those of you who love a curry from the Chinese rather than the traditional Indian takeaway but can’t get the sauce right?

https://shop.mayflower.co.uk/products/mayflower-curry-sauce-mix

These guys make it!!  

There is a definite difference between an Indian curry and one from the Chinese. Some people only like the Chinese version. Well now you can make the Chinese one in minutes. Tried one last night. Fried up chicken, onions, mushrooms in a frying pan. Heated the sauce through in a pan and combined.

10 minutes from start to finish and it was amazing. Exactly like you get from the Chinese.

Spellczech

Never understood why it is that everywhere you go it seems that the curries on the menus are pretty samey, yet I hear rumours that there is an entire World of taste sensation in private kitchens up and down the country...?

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

For those of you who love a curry from the Chinese rather than the traditional Indian takeaway but can’t get the sauce right?

https://shop.mayflower.co.uk/products/mayflower-curry-sauce-mix

These guys make it!!  

There is a definite difference between an Indian curry and one from the Chinese. Some people only like the Chinese version. Well now you can make the Chinese one in minutes. Tried one last night. Fried up chicken, onions, mushrooms in a frying pan. Heated the sauce through in a pan and combined.

10 minutes from start to finish and it was amazing. Exactly like you get from the Chinese.

Should be thread banned for posting that

Vlad Magic
7 hours ago, kila said:

Should be thread banned for posting that

Why? I Know loads of folk who absolutely love a curry from the Chinese takeaway.

That sauce is as close as I can find to what they use. They may even use that one.

shlabalaba

This one is pretty decent , a paste rather than the mayflower powder.

image.png.623ae2e4245635f3b2698c3a53be286d.png

14 hours ago, shlabalaba said:

1632578984-002291200.jpg

This is the one  i use, tastes nothing like madras,but personally feel it's  closer to takeaway curry sauce than the  chinese version.

or a bit dearer

Ziang's Homemade Best Chinese Curry Paste 400g | Chin and Choo

But its quality.

Edited by Tott

highlandjambo3
14 hours ago, shlabalaba said:

I’ve used that on occasion (when Schindlers list)…..it goes well with your idea of chips and curry sauce when on the lash but should *NEVER be given the same respect as assembling a proper curry 😳 you don’t even want to read the salt content label.

* only kidding…..each to their own……it does knock up a sauce in minutes.

Dawnrazor

Game is brilliant in a curry, Pheasant, Partridge, Rabbit all stand up better than Chicken to the strong curry flavours, I prefer Venison to Beef, I can't stomach Lamb or Mutton, the smell puts me off, smells like a stinking farm yard.

I couldn't eat Goat, I've shot enough Feral Goats and the smell from a Billy is truly revolting 🤮🤮🤮

jamborich

Like my spice so thought I could take anything, wrong the hottest curry ever was in a Wetherspoon in Llanelli Thursday curry night had a phall feck me big mistake 

il Duce McTarkin
17 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Game is brilliant in a curry, Pheasant, Partridge, Rabbit all stand up better than Chicken to the strong curry flavours, I prefer Venison to Beef, I can't stomach Lamb or Mutton, the smell puts me off, smells like a stinking farm yard.

I couldn't eat Goat, I've shot enough Feral Goats and the smell from a Billy is truly revolting 🤮🤮🤮

Can't agree with much of that. Rabbit and venison are too gamey for a decent curry. The flavours fight each other and do neither justice. Venison on it's own is delicious. Beef doesn't impart much flavour to a curry at all unless it's seasoned to death. Pork can be ok if done correctly (the Filipino chefs offshore can sometimes manage). Chicken is chicken, and as long as it's cooked on the bone it's awesome. Skim the fat off the top of the pot with a bit naan and get it doon ye. Ooft, it sticks to your ribs on a winter's day. Lamb is the absolute nuts in a curry - full shoulder slow cooked with a rich tomato base and a ton of spinach and fresh chilli. Could live on this. I've had goat a couple of times in Pakistan and it was alright but only alright. Meat too stringy and not a great deal of flavour. Probably cooked to death to kill all the beasties. I only had it as there was **** all else.

I got 2 Anjum Anand cookbooks a few years ago and the way she teaches you to build spices etc is brilliant, my old neighbour who is Indian said I made a better curry than she does.

The Goan fish curry is tremendous

Here is a link to some of her recipes

https://pin.it/1ilgCdplP

Edited by Bozi

Dawnrazor
9 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Can't agree with much of that. Rabbit and venison are too gamey for a decent curry. The flavours fight each other and do neither justice. Venison on it's own is delicious. Beef doesn't impart much flavour to a curry at all unless it's seasoned to death. Pork can be ok if done correctly (the Filipino chefs offshore can sometimes manage). Chicken is chicken, and as long as it's cooked on the bone it's awesome. Skim the fat off the top of the pot with a bit naan and get it doon ye. Ooft, it sticks to your ribs on a winter's day. Lamb is the absolute nuts in a curry - full shoulder slow cooked with a rich tomato base and a ton of spinach and fresh chilli. Could live on this. I've had goat a couple of times in Pakistan and it was alright but only alright. Meat too stringy and not a great deal of flavour. Probably cooked to death to kill all the beasties. I only had it as there was **** all else.

Nah, a rabbit curry is a beautiful thing, your rabbit should be about three quarters grown, not an old buck, leave it overnight in salty water, or butter milk. Venison should be a yearling Roe Doe, or farmed Red Hind, Sika is the best if you can get it, cooked right neither Rabbit or Venison is too "gamey" for a curry, if it is, you've done it wrong. I can't go Lamb or Mutton, it gives me the dry boke, I always found both were too strong and over powered all but the hottest of curries.

periodictabledancer
On 19/03/2024 at 17:32, Dawnrazor said:

I love lamb in a curry, lamb with fenugreek is my favourite. I've had loads of goat curries over the years (at one time I had a Jamaican recipe from a 19C cookbook which was outstanding) and I've had Haitian variants - all good. 

Goat any time for me. 

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

I love lamb in a curry, lamb with fenugreek is my favourite. I've had loads of goat curries over the years (at one time I had a Jamaican recipe from a 19C cookbook which was outstanding) and I've had Haitian variants - all good. 

Goat any time for me. 

I couldn't eat goat, I can't eat goats cheese or drink goats milk, to me it's vile.

JimmyCant

Mentioned in the thread already - East at Home. The closest thing to authentic restaurant style sauces I’ve ever found. The Madras in particular is too notch. Fry some chicken and onions, pour the sauce over, stir, simmer. Jobs a good un 🤪

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I couldn't eat goat, I can't eat goats cheese or drink goats milk, to me it's vile.

Fair comment. 

Cranston
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Mentioned in the thread already - East at Home. The closest thing to authentic restaurant style sauces I’ve ever found. The Madras in particular is too notch. Fry some chicken and onions, pour the sauce over, stir, simmer. Jobs a good un 🤪

Tesco Finest Vindaloo Sauce. Very hot but poured over fried chicken pieces, brought to the boil, simmer for 12 minutes over a medium heat, served with rice, and garlic naan bread, beautiful easy hot curry at home. Marvellous.

Jim_Duncan

Folk posting in a cooking thread about packet sauces and jars of curry sauce :rofl:

Might as well go to McDonalds. 

Learn to cook. 

6 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Folk posting in a cooking thread about packet sauces and jars of curry sauce :rofl:

Learn to cook. 

:qqb006:

But....

:spoton: 

Cranston
9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Learn to cook. 

Do you make your own wine Jim? Your own vineyard?

Dawnrazor
9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Learn to cook. 

A few jars are handy to have in though, and if you're going to have some you might as well have good ones👍

We use the recipes in The Curry Bible, it was well worth the tenner I think I paid for it.

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Do you make your own wine Jim? Your own vineyard?

I make my own worlds. 

Cranston
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

I make my own worlds. 

You open the bottle and pour it into a glass don't you? No shame in that you don't make your own wine mate. Just like I don't make my own Vindaloo curry sauce. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I make my own worlds. 

:sweeet:

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Learn to cook. 

That's your Xmas sorted 👍🏻👍🏻

th-1164983960.jpg