Curry (What you cooking)

Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin

Something I have developed a real passion for, and have become pretty good at making over the last few years..  As a family we now longer bother with takeaway, because generally it ends in disappointment..

I do all sorts, BIR style to the more Authentic Desi type ones.. 

Always on the lookout for new recipes, so thought I’d put this on here to see if anyone had any..

What ya cookin’ what’s ya favourite..?

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• henrysmithsgloves

• Jim_Duncan

• Greedy Jambo

• Cranston

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Something I have developed a real passion for, and have become pretty good at making over the last few years..  As a family we now longer bother with takeaway, because generally it ends in disappointment..

I do all sorts, BIR style to the more Authentic Desi type ones.. 

Always on the lookout for new recipes, so thought I’d put this on here to see if anyone had any..

What ya cookin’ what’s ya favourite..?

I love cooking (and I’m actually not to bad)…..that includes a cooking course in India……..curry’s, just ask away 😏

N Lincs Jambo

Kohlapuri lamb is my favourite desi curry. There’s one quite common round N Lincs which is a kuzuri. It’s like a creamy korma but with real spice heat. Loved it when I first tried it 

Greedy Jambo

I remember the first curry I made, it was 2nd year of high school, home economics, It looked different to everyone else's in the class 😂

The teacher came over, liked the look of it, tasted it, and told me it was very good. 

I wanted to be a chef after that, did a lot of cooking the years after. 

Now i'm just a lazy ******* that likes fish fingers and hot sauce. 

il Duce McTarkin

Curry daft, me.

I worked on a boat last year with an Indian Chief Steward, and there was a top drawer curry option at each of the four meal times every day for 6 weeks. Bliss. Loads of daal and veggie shit, with the occasional slow-cooked lamb or whole-chicken option. Ooft. All the flavour from the bones and stuff. Ooooft. Roti to die for, too.

I make a good curry myself but don't folow recipies to the letter. Usually trial and error until I hit a spot that just feels right. My Mrs can chuck together an awesome curry out of whatever is lying about too. Takeaways can generally gtf as they lead to disappointment. You can find a wee gem one week, then the chef ****s off and it's murder the next.

Curry is life.

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Now i'm just a lazy ******* that likes fish fingers and hot sauce. 

Fish currys are ****ing brilliant.

You don't even need expensive fish. The big cheapo bags of frozen white fish from any supermarket wll do. When it comes to spice I find that less is sometimes more with the fash, but you can make it as hot as you like and just get battered in.

Tandoori fish.

:sweeet:

Fish biryani.

:sweeet::sweeet:

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

I do like a good veggie curry, helps use up anything that's on the verge of being on the turn.

Always got a few tins of chickpeas/kala chana on standby to bulk it out and add protein.

I've even gone to the bother of making my own Paneer a few times.

Chapatis are a piece of pish to make too.

henrysmithsgloves

I'm a cheat,use mayflower curry mix 😋

Father in-law used to make the best curry I've ever had,used to be a chef in the navy back in the sixties when they had Chinese on board for the laundry work. Anyhoo he let them use the galley and picked up how to make an authentic curry. He has vascular dementia now and can't mind how to boil an egg 😔 Good Jambo too😔

Cairneyhill Jambo

There's a new African/Caribbean grocers shop opened in Dunfermline and they sell goat meat. My missus made a curry a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. 

Goat meat is the future.  

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Australis said:

Always fancied trying to make a really fruity curry.

:oohmatron:

Jim_Duncan
9 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

There's a new African/Caribbean grocers shop opened in Dunfermline and they sell goat meat. My missus made a curry a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. 

Goat meat is the future.  

First, they came for the goats…

Greedy Jambo

I used to slag people who ordered a korma, but since it's women's day, I appreciate you.

N Lincs Jambo
16 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Goat meat is the future.  

Wow, I’ve only ever eaten goat once but it was a goat curry in a Caribbean restaurant in Amsterdam in 1987. Feckin beautiful it was 

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Anyone got any good Saturday night recipes? Probably targeted towards basic/moderate cooking ability.

tightrope
8 hours ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Anyone got any good Saturday night recipes? Probably targeted towards basic/moderate cooking ability.

Yes, talk is futile. We need recipes and instructions please.

henrysmithsgloves
8 hours ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Thank me later😋😎

Btw the sauce is available at B&M and also Farmfoods 👍🏻 I use the mild one.

Edited by henrysmithsgloves

Life Aquatic
11 hours ago, Australis said:

Always fancied trying to make a really fruity curry.

Had a Kerala Chicken curry from Taste of India in Rosyth last month. Might be right up your alley. 

Not spicy but probably the most flavourful curry I've had

periodictabledancer

I love goat curry, first had it in a Haitian place in Fuengirola (Papillon himself used to eat there). Also had a few Janaican goat curries over the years.

I used to do stuff from Madhur Jaffrey's cook book but don't have the inclination any more.

Has loads of "curry" when I've been on Mauritius,  an amazing variation on the standard Indian suff.

I just love "curry".

Edited by periodictabledancer

DG_HMFC

What I've learnt is take the time to make a good base sauce.

I love a curry, but was always left disappointed with what was dished up from the takeaways, so decided to have a bash at making my own. 

By making a base sauce, it allowed me to make any curry dish I fancy, and it was much tastier than the takeaways.

Edited by DG_HMFC

2 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Thank me later😋😎

Btw the sauce is available at B&M and also Farmfoods 👍🏻 I use the mild one.

Yep. Always got a tub of mayflower in the house. Get it in any Poundland.

So quick and is probably the closest to chinese style curry sauce from the takeaway.

manaliveits105

Fry a chopped onion in a little oil and knob of butter until soft 

add a big pinch of salt and a tbsp of cumin seeds 

then a thumb of grated ginger 3 to 4 cloves of garlic and 3 to 4 chillis chopped 

(Use the pastes or powders/flakes for quickness if you want - teaspoon for each chilli or clove of garlic)

teaspoon of tumeric powder 

tin of chopped tomatoes

half pint of chicken stock (2 cubes)

or veggie if you want pure veggie 

that is the base apart from garam masala which is added near end 

Now it's up to you - chicken - beef or lamb (take longer to cook) fish prawns or veggie 

I usually go for chicken broccoli cauliflower carrot and a tin of green lentils or potato or chick peas

Bring to boil and simmer until cooked 

Add tablespoon of garam masala 

and stir add fresh corriander to serve 

Indian style home cooking they use the base  almost every day 

PortyJambo

There used to be a Jamaican restaurant in Buccleuch Street that did a goat curry. It was tremendous, as were the fried plantains and other Jamaican food they served. It's long closed now unfortunately, but goat is a great meat for a curry, although it's not the easiest to get.

1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

I love a curry, but was always left disappointed with what was dished up from the takeaways, so decided to have a bash at making my own. 

By making a base sauce, it allowed me to make any curry dish I fancy, and it was much tastier than the takeaways.

Correct. I used to make my own, but these days just buy it from East at Home. Bit of that, some fresh spices and garlic/ginger and you really can't go wrong. 

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, tightrope said:

Yes, talk is futile. We need recipes and instructions please.

A beginners simple curry recipe I’ll mention below, it’s a baseplate to start with and it’s quick and easy.  You can jazz it up any way you like (see jazz below)

First of all, I always divide my curry’s into two basic types:

1.  Red meat I make with Tomato base, tomato puri, red peppers, it gives out the feeling of heat.

2. chicken/veggie I use green peppers & coconut cream, it looks a bit milky and mild and, it gives out the look of a much more mellow type of curry.

Heres how to put it all together:

3.  Gently fry loads of sliced onions.

4.  Add 2 decent tablespoons of *curry paste (not curry sauce) stir in the paste and fry with the onions for a couple of minutes.

5.  Add the main ingredients (meat/veg etc) mix it all together with the onions and paste.

6.  Add the relevant stock (chicken/lamb/beef/veg), put in enough stock to cover the ingredients by about an inch……lid on and simmer, stir occasionally.

Thats it.

Don’t get the words hot & spicy mixed up…..hot is gurgling Tabasco sauce in your gob, spicy is the level of spice in your curry….more chilli = more spicy.  A vindaloo is NOT HOT, it’s very spicy.

Jazz:

Add any of the following, fresh chopped coriander, spinach (there are loads of Indian dishes with spinach) knob of butter & cream to enrich the flavour, cubed potato, peas, Grated ginger, garlic, sweet potato, mushrooms, tamarind paste…..etc…..etc……Please add to the jazz anything you want.

*  you can graduate from curry paste when you become a bit more confident.

IMG_6058.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Correct. I used to make my own, but these days just buy it from East at Home. Bit of that, some fresh spices and garlic/ginger and you really can't go wrong. 

Same here,used to make it from scratch.

But now get ir from East at Home,there ready made sauces are top notch as well.

Handy for during the week when i havent much time.

Misty Ricardo and Al's Kitchin  have some good recipes on them,easy to follow.

BIR Curry Recipe Cookbooks & Recipes by Richard Sayce - Misty Ricardo

Al's Kitchen - Cooking british Indian restaurant curries at home (alskitchen.uk)

Spices Supplier | UK - East at Home

REAL Chinese takeaway recipes and online store | Chin and Choo

Rupert Pupkin
2 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Try the Al’s kitchen 30 min recipes on YouTube.. You don’t need to make a base sauce, all done in one pan.. The results are outstanding.. His Chasni is immense 

Rupert Pupkin
45 minutes ago, Tott said:

Same here,used to make it from scratch.

But now get ir from East at Home,there ready made sauces are top notch as well.

Handy for during the week when i havent much time.

Misty Ricardo and Al's Kitchin  have some good recipes on them,easy to follow.

BIR Curry Recipe Cookbooks & Recipes by Richard Sayce - Misty Ricardo

Al's Kitchen - Cooking british Indian restaurant curries at home (alskitchen.uk)

Spices Supplier | UK - East at Home

REAL Chinese takeaway recipes and online store | Chin and Choo

Latif’s Inspired ,Ajay Kumar , Din Mohammed, and Balti Brothers are also very good.

westbow

Been attempting my own for last few weeks after being unimpressed with shop bought ones. After a few hit and misses and watching a load of YouTube videos I’ve got a decent base. Most of which has already been covered but I’d add a few extra tips: Try Kashmir chilli powder, gives a great colour and is a bit milder (supermarket at potterrow has it). Grate the ginger and garlic. Add a small handful of sultanas (at the start). Mix in a half tablespoon of mango chutney near the end of cooking If it still tastes uninspired mix a tablespoon of curry paste with half a mug of boiled water and stir in.

Heat chapatis using tongs over gas ring.

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Pap said:

Yep. Always got a tub of mayflower in the house. Get it in any Poundland.

So quick and is probably the closest to chinese style curry sauce from the takeaway.

Same here😂

westbow
15 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Curry daft, me.

I worked on a boat last year with an Indian Chief Steward, and there was a top drawer curry option at each of the four meal times every day for 6 weeks. Bliss. Loads of daal and veggie shit, with the occasional slow-cooked lamb or whole-chicken option. Ooft. All the flavour from the bones and stuff. Ooooft. Roti to die for, too.

I make a good curry myself but don't folow recipies to the letter. Usually trial and error until I hit a spot that just feels right. My Mrs can chuck together an awesome curry out of whatever is lying about too. Takeaways can generally gtf as they lead to disappointment. You can find a wee gem one week, then the chef ****s off and it's murder the next.

Curry is life.

Indian guys I know break the chicken bones for extra flavour and pick out the shards while they are eating. Sounds a bit tricky to me.

tightrope
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

A beginners simple curry recipe I’ll mention below, it’s a baseplate to start with and it’s quick and easy.  You can jazz it up any way you like (see jazz below)

First of all, I always divide my curry’s into two basic types:

1.  Red meat I make with Tomato base, tomato puri, red peppers, it gives out the feeling of heat.

2. chicken/veggie I use green peppers & coconut cream, it looks a bit milky and mild and, it gives out the look of a much more mellow type of curry.

Heres how to put it all together:

3.  Gently fry loads of sliced onions.

4.  Add 2 decent tablespoons of *curry paste (not curry sauce) stir in the paste and fry with the onions for a couple of minutes.

5.  Add the main ingredients (meat/veg etc) mix it all together with the onions and paste.

6.  Add the relevant stock (chicken/lamb/beef/veg), put in enough stock to cover the ingredients by about an inch……lid on and simmer, stir occasionally.

Thats it.

Don’t get the words hot & spicy mixed up…..hot is gurgling Tabasco sauce in your gob, spicy is the level of spice in your curry….more chilli = more spicy.  A vindaloo is NOT HOT, it’s very spicy.

Jazz:

Add any of the following, fresh chopped coriander, spinach (there are loads of Indian dishes with spinach) knob of butter & cream to enrich the flavour, cubed potato, peas, Grated ginger, garlic, sweet potato, mushrooms, tamarind paste…..etc…..etc……Please add to the jazz anything you want.

*  you can graduate from curry paste when you become a bit more confident.

IMG_6058.jpeg

Excellent, thanks.

mrmarkus1981_1

I'm making a Bhuna tonight, although I've been on the sauce all afternoon so no idea what will happen 🥳

Jim_Duncan
10 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Peasant 🧐

I eat it with chopsticks, mind. 

henrysmithsgloves
14 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I eat it with chopsticks, mind. 

Plastic ones😂

Day@theraces

Enjoy a Bhuna but always seem to struggle to find a Bhuna sauce in the supermarket. Seen the picture of the Patak sauce in the previous post but always seems to be just a Baltic, masala, butter or the hotter stuff on the shelves.

N Lincs Jambo

Wiener Schnitzel tonight but making a fresh batch of base gravy tomorrow (Latif’s Inspired recipe on YouTube). Have tried various YouTube chef bases over the years but find Latif’s and Al’s Kitchen original base to be the best. Haven’t decided on which curry yet though.

One tip I got off Latif’s site though was if you’re doing a king prawn curry it’s best to buy a block of really huge ones from an Asian grocery. We’ve got a cracking one in Scunny and can get a block for around £15. That will make three main portions.

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Enjoy a Bhuna but always seem to struggle to find a Bhuna sauce in the supermarket. Seen the picture of the Patak sauce in the previous post but always seems to be just a Baltic, masala, butter or the hotter stuff on the shelves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pataks-Bhuna-Curry-Paste-Pack/dp/B00DG0Y1TC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PIC0M0YX823Y&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.yp18xmGj6pl7ZsBei0_bi4FHGg4fzvojP_Fp4bM7HEVBzkCtSO58Xft20NtawtRildaZMEJiOFJWVFX9wraqoubgcGdjFYeR8KhLeSRXVt2wOeb-WsuGDswi3DkIKwux.vw20nkIIgQYyQje1cXta1r8k6rAd3uzhFiHEh2vvLFY&dib_tag=se&keywords=patak+bhuna&qid=1710020399&s=grocery&sprefix=patak+bhuna%2Cgrocery%2C79&sr=1-1

6 jars of it at around the supermarket price

2 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

What’s a Baltic?  🤷🏿‍♂️

fabienleclerq

I reckon Rick steins vindaloo is the best I've made, isn't a stupid amount of heat in it. Really good.

I've been following Swedish on the socials and there's some tasty stuff on there.

fabienleclerq
On 08/03/2024 at 22:18, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Goat meat is the future.  

Where about in dunfermline is that?

Greedy Jambo

Lamb Rogan Josh is my favourite, just thought i'd put that out there. 

Curry is great.

The thread title is/was almost impossible to decipher for me, though.

I asked for help in reading it’s meaning.

Tonight, I got my answer.

So, Jalfrezie or a proper Thai curry.  👍

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Curry is great.

The thread title is/was almost impossible to decipher for me, though.

I asked for help in reading it’s meaning.

Tonight, I got my answer.

So, Jalfrezie or a proper Thai curry.  👍

That's not how you spell Jalfrezi guy. 

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

That's not how you spell Jalfrezi guy. 

I think you'll find that is how he spells it. 

highlandjambo3
17 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Enjoy a Bhuna but always seem to struggle to find a Bhuna sauce in the supermarket. Seen the picture of the Patak Sauce in the previous post but always seems to be just a Baltic, masala, butter or the hotter stuff on the shelves.

That was paste….there is a difference.  The sauce you’d pour all of it in to make your curry…..the paste you’d only need a smaller amount.