VAR would you go back?

jock _turd

Section Q

When VAR was introduced I thought it would make it impossible for the OF bias that's prevalent in Scottish football. However I think it might make it easier for the digital ref sat in his bunker without the crowd on his back. Imagine if you had that power sitting in front of the telly in your living room.

The easy answer for absolute neutrality is for non Scottish refs to be in charge of our matches.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Sooks

• jock _turd

• PaddysBar

Pasquale for King
23 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

I get it a bit Geoff but come on. We would much rather have Hooper’s 88th minute offside goal disallowed and we win 1-0 rather than relying on the frankly ridiculously rare scenario of a penalty being awarded to us a minute or two later. Yes it happened but 99 / 100 it doesn’t. 

Ask the RoI if they were happy that Henry’s handball was allowed to proceed to a goal given there was still time for RoI to score after it. 

If only that linesman was a Jambo 😱🤦🏽😆😜?!?!

PaddysBar
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If only that linesman was a Jambo 😱🤦🏽😆😜?!?!

I know 😂. Didn’t have the heart to pull him up for that 😀

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I know 😂. Didn’t have the heart to pull him up for that 😀

Just as well we won 😆

Forrest
On 07/03/2024 at 21:48, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Recency bias. How long did it take for the opposition to get a decision at Ibrox?

Don't know about that, and I've only read the first page of the thread so far, but I'll take you back almost as far as you can go with VAR in Scotland, to our game against Celtic in the second ever game played with VAR in the country. OK, we lost, but we certainly benefited from it correcting the referees "errors". 

boag1874
23 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

As far as I can see its only the English that are having a hissy fit. Generally led by ex-players who are resistant to any kind of change.

And who have absolutely no understanding of the laws of the game 

Go for it 1308
On 07/03/2024 at 20:48, dannymack said:

For as long as Celtic & Rangers remain in the Scottish Premiership than VAR must remain for the benefit of the lower status clubs. 

Nailed it 👏 

Go for it 1308
10 hours ago, Section Q said:

When VAR was introduced I thought it would make it impossible for the OF bias that's prevalent in Scottish football. However I think it might make it easier for the digital ref sat in his bunker without the crowd on his back. Imagine if you had that power sitting in front of the telly in your living room.

The easy answer for absolute neutrality is for non Scottish refs to be in charge of our matches.

We would never have got that sending off against Celtic if it wasn't for VAR. So, what's your point?

boag1874

Imo I would change handball to any time the ball strikes a hand it’s an indirect free kick - if it denies a clear goalscoring opportunity or is deliberate then it’s a direct FK/Pen

Section Q
13 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

We would never have got that sending off against Celtic if it wasn't for VAR. So, what's your point?

I wasn't talking about a sending off. I was referring to the sub standard refereeing in Scotland.

Buster HMFC
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

We have benefited from VAR would not go back

👍

Watt-Zeefuik

We spend all year bitching about Scottish refs, but then I feel like every time we make it to Europe, the refs are every bit as bad.

If basically almost every ref who works the game is shit, it's not a problem with the refs, but a problem with the expectations of the job.

My first preference would be to add a second outfield official. Basketball has three officials for a 96 foot court, American football has 7 officials to cover the same number of players on a narrower pitch, I don't know why football thinks another official wouldn't do.

At the very least, VAR puts another set of eyes on the pitch. It doesn't fix human error or bias (OF bias aside, I know of no sport where the refs don't get a little star struck by the best teams and start unconsciously giving them decisions) but it at least allows for a second opinion.

We can scream "fix the bias!" all we want, but show me a league, anywhere, where the refereeing doesn't suffer from it.

Der Kaiser

VAR still gets more right than wrong and has at least helped reduce bias albeit not eradicate it.

Keep it but make it quicker.

Buster HMFC
13 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

We spend all year bitching about Scottish refs, but then I feel like every time we make it to Europe, the refs are every bit as bad.

If basically almost every ref who works the game is shit, it's not a problem with the refs, but a problem with the expectations of the job.

My first preference would be to add a second outfield official. Basketball has three officials for a 96 foot court, American football has 7 officials to cover the same number of players on a narrower pitch, I don't know why football thinks another official wouldn't do.

At the very least, VAR puts another set of eyes on the pitch. It doesn't fix human error or bias (OF bias aside, I know of no sport where the refs don't get a little star struck by the best teams and start unconsciously giving them decisions) but it at least allows for a second opinion.

We can scream "fix the bias!" all we want, but show me a league, anywhere, where the refereeing doesn't suffer from it.

So aye or no then

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

VAR still gets more right than wrong and has at least helped reduce bias albeit not eradicate it.

In a nut shell.

King Of The Cat Cafe
2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

That gets it said.

maltese jambo

Sorry but I find some of the comments on this thread breathtaking.

VAR had been an absolute disaster up here. There's not really any two ways about that.

I'd definitely bin it. Huge amount of money literally getting thrown down the drain by clubs who really can't afford it to get even more questionable decisions while sucking out the life and energy from the game.

Get rid.

Doc Rob
On 08/03/2024 at 05:23, Sooks said:

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions . Who are the two teams that are most annoyed by it ? Why are they most annoyed about it ? 

Celtic and Rangers have had decisions overturned or go against them that they would normally just rely on our cowardly officials not to give . That is where most of the noise is coming from . Just refine how it is used and train the users better 

This is where I am too.

The red card v Celtic demonstrated this perfectly. The ref saw the boot in the face and reflexively gave a yellow card, because OF players get booked for things that would be a straight red for anyone else (and a talking to for things that would be bookings). We all know it and have seen it over and over again. Pre-VAR, that’s the end of it. There wouldn’t even be a retrospective red card, because the ref saw the incident and decided it was a booking. But thanks to VAR, the ref was obliged to actually review the incident properly, at which point he couldn’t deny it was an obvious red card.

I'll admit, I haven't been keeping tabs on every VAR decision that has impacted us, and I am aware that the last review of VAR decisions concluded that we were party to 4 wrong decisions, 3 of which wrongly went against us and 1 in our favour.  However that's only situations where VAR got it wrong.

My own feeling is that we've actually benefited overall from VAR, many decisions that went against us on the pitch but were corrected by VAR.  The red card and penalty in the Celtic game, the disallowed goal for Aberdeen and our subsequent penalty in that game, to name but a few.  

John Findlay

I'm not a fan of VAR.

Didn't miss it last night at Cappielow.

Its the referees man, the guy in the VAR studio is looking to be busy and ends up re-refereeing the game. 

We need strong referees. The ref was entirely within his rights to stick with his original call. 

That was awful and weak refereeing. Nothing more. 

Jim_Duncan
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its the referees man, the guy in the VAR studio is looking to be busy and ends up re-refereeing the game. 

We need strong referees. The ref was entirely within his rights to stick with his original call. 

That was awful and weak refereeing. Nothing more. 

Assume Beaton was away for a pish when Shankland got kicked in the box. It was identical to the one we got given (after VAR) v Rangers in the LC semi final. 

1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Assume Beaton was away for a pish when Shankland got kicked in the box. It was identical to the one we got given (after VAR) v Rangers in the LC semi final. 

Aye, very true. 

I hate Scottish referees. They really are what ruins Scottish football. 

Bring on the strike. **** them. 

TheBigO

I hate var and would bin tomorrow.

But that was offside. Why setup like that? Just daft from us imo

Jim_Duncan
20 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I hate var and would bin tomorrow.

But that was offside. Why setup like that? Just daft from us imo

It’s obviously worked on as a tactic, probably because they’ve seen other teams use it to good effect and not have the VAR suddenly wake up from his afternoon snooze and decide he’d better get involved. 

Deevers
On 11/03/2024 at 19:21, Watt-Zeefuik said:

This for me. The very fact that it’s the Old Firm doing all the real complaining about it tells its own story. No more freebie fantasy decisions going their way.

As far as todays incident goes - Shankland shouldn’t stand there. It’s absolutely pointless standing there and gives an already dismal official a decision to make.

Having said that though, it’s incredibly, incredibly harsh. Shankland was always standing to the right and wasn’t blocking the view anymore than their own wall was.

To top it off, the free kick was simply unsaveable in any case. Not taken into account of course.

Hearts1975
On 12/03/2024 at 11:38, maltese jambo said:

Sorry but I find some of the comments on this thread breathtaking.

VAR had been an absolute disaster up here. There's not really any two ways about that.

I'd definitely bin it. Huge amount of money literally getting thrown down the drain by clubs who really can't afford it to get even more questionable decisions while sucking out the life and energy from the game.

Get rid.

It's a disaster in the sense of how much it stop/starts the play and interrupts the game 

It isn't a disaster for us, personally, as I reckon since it was introduced, that we have had far more consistency with key decisions being made. 

Like another poster said, Brenda and Clement are VARS harshest critics. That's extremely telling but in no way surprising. Makes perfect sense. 

Edited by Hearts1975

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, liam11 said:

As far as todays incident goes - Shankland shouldn’t stand there. It’s absolutely pointless standing there and gives an already dismal official a decision to make.

Having said that though, it’s incredibly, incredibly harsh. Shankland was always standing to the right and wasn’t blocking the view anymore than their own wall was.

To top it off, the free kick was simply unsaveable in any case. Not taken into account of course.

Are you deliberately choosing to ignore the penalty incident which is equally debatable 

davemclaren
49 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Are you deliberately choosing to ignore the penalty incident which is equally debatable 

Just saw it on telly. Looked a good shout for a penalty to me. Even with VAR, some you get some you don't. 

Diego10

VAR is terrible for many reasons but chief among them is micro analysing every goal looking for a reason to disallow it.  The goal Motherwell had disallowed today was a joke

6 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

VAR is terrible for many reasons but chief among them is micro analysing every goal looking for a reason to disallow it.  The goal Motherwell had disallowed today was a joke

Yeah it was OK for Ross County to get a goal in a previous match.   A player touches ball with hand accidentally.   

Perhaps they thought it wasn't an accident on this occasion. I laugh at the Rangers goal v Hearts.   Dessers "accidental"  handball.   

****ing joke really.   It's referee interpreted. 

Shinnie nudging the ball with his elbow is a different perspective.   Not accidentally,  he meant it.   It should be a penalty. 

Motherwell robbed of a chance to equalise. 

HeartsandonlyHearts

It’s the people running it that are the issue.

Just watched the highlights on Hearts World.

It was a penalty.

The disallowed free kick was criminal

Looking at it from behind the goal with the VAR replays it was crazy call.

Just prior to Kingsley making contact with the ball, Shankland moves to his right.

The goalie takes 2or3 small steps to his left. Towards where the ball would end up. He’s already made his mind up where he was going.

Cheats.

The Treasurer
9 hours ago, Diego10 said:

You're right. They seem determined to find something, no matter how trivial, just to prove how important var is