VAR would you go back?

jock _turd

jock _turd

Pre VAR ball hits the string ref blows whistle runs back to the centre crowd goes wild, well one half 😂

Post VAR ball hits the string ref bows whistle and returns to the centre one half of the crowd sit pensively waiting for KLARIFICASHUN three minutes later the crowd are told it was not a goal one half of the crow go wild the other half are saying WTF 😂 The same applies to every other facet of VAR offside, handball etc.

Personally I would go back in an instant! Not becuase I don't want the right decision but I do want to live in the moment. VAR has taken the ectasay out of football . The spontaneous joy of seeing a goal has been removed replaced by forensic examination of spurious video evidence.

Edited by jock _turd

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Sooks

• jock _turd

• PaddysBar

Boyces beard

Its here to stay so best get used to it. It could certainly be used a lot better than it has/is being used.

ArcticJambo

Been said before, technology is there to be used in professional sports and Football is no different, unfortunately it's a combination of teh rules and the way the technology has been used that is the problem.  Oncce sorted it should make for better decisions.

13 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Pre VAR ball hits the string ref blows whistle runs back to the centre crowd goes wild, well one half 😂

Post VAR ball hits the string ref bows whistle and returns to the centre one half of the crowd sit pensively waiting for KLARIFICASHUN three minutes later the crowd are told it was not a goal one half of the crow go wild the other half are saying WTF 😂 The same applies to every other facet of VAR offside, handball etc.

Personally I would go back in an instant! Not becuase I don't want the right decision but I do want to live in the moment. VAR has taken the ectasay out of football . The spontaneous joy of seeing a goal has been removed replaced by forensic examination of spurious video evidence.

Absolutely not . We have had plenty decisions that we not have had otherwise , particularly against the old firm . Get better at using it definitely 

Watt-Zeefuik

It needs to be tweaked so much I'm not sure you can even call them tweaks anymore as much as major shifts, but no, it's been a positive overall.

Should 100% go to a system of manager's challenges rather than VAR-instituted review, though. Naismith should have been able to force Robertson to look at the pen on Cochrane.

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Folk probably said the same with most new major innovations in football such as crossbars, penalty kicks, offside etc...  I think we need to use it better but it is here to stay.  The technology itself is fine but the interpretation of the rules is the challenge. 

Deevers

So far so good with it. That said some of the folk operating need a shake. If it pisses of Celtic in particular I’m all for it.

jimbojambo

We wouldn't have had a penalty or Celtic a red card without VAR so I'm all for it. As Naisy says it's the hand ball rule that needs scrapped not VAR

johnking123

Seems to be upsetting the ugly's from the west. Would keep!

Phil D. Corners

Take it away and we’ll have nothing to chat about in the pub. 

30 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Nope nit for me, it's not perfect but vast majority of the time the correct decision is made....its here to stay 

Bazzas right boot

The rules especially with handball doesn't help.

Imo, it should be used by things missed by the ref, not to make him change his decision. Taking that a step further, var does not review anything unless asked to by a manager in a challenge style system, imo this removes much of the burden and controversy away from var.

If the ref missed it or made a decision and it wasn't challenged, then no var intervention and therefor officials can take no blame as even the teams never thought any different!

Quite an  easy fix.

PaddysBar
24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Absolutely not . We have had plenty decisions that we not have had otherwise , particularly against the old firm . Get better at using it definitely 

That’s where I am. 

I’d much rather have a review system in place that doesn’t rely on one human being seeing one incident once from one angle and having to make a call that could cost a club a cup or relegation. 

Think of the offside rule. It’s physically impossible for a linesman to look at two points at the same time.

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions . Who are the two teams that are most annoyed by it ? Why are they most annoyed about it ? 

Celtic and Rangers have had decisions overturned or go against them that they would normally just rely on our cowardly officials not to give . That is where most of the noise is coming from . Just refine how it is used and train the users better 

sunblestjambo

Overall, I think it’s picked up and rectified far more errors than it’s caused.  And those that have proven contentious have typically been subjective decision making rather than VAR itself.  

would keep

jock _turd
Posted (edited)

Well the results are in and ... it is fine for all the responders. I have to say I am surprised I thought at least someone would have agreed with me 😄😭

edit 

Mind you I wanted SN emptied after half a dozen games 😂

Edited by jock _turd

2 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Well the results are in and ... it is fine for all the responders. I have to say I am surprised I thought at least someone would have agreed with me 😄😭

I do get what you are saying too though . I just do not ever want to return to the days of being barefaced cheated like when we got four sent off vs Rangers , Andy Davis , Brines with Fyssas , Dougie McDonald on numerous occasions , ect 

Bunny Munro
54 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

This isn't true. Crowds still celebrate goals.

jock _turd
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I do get what you are saying too though . I just do not ever want to return to the days of being barefaced cheated like when we got four sent off vs Rangers , Andy Davis , Brines with Fyssas , Dougie McDonald on numerous occasions , ect 

Aye Davis gate . I was right in line with that on the night Dallas gives a goal kick and Davis steps in nad all hell breaks loose. I still remember my brother saying I wonder what he is going to give here ?!

Edited by jock _turd

1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

Aye Davis gate . I was right in line with that on the night Dallas gives a goal kick and Davis steps in nad all hell breaks loose. I still remember my brother saying I wonder what he is going to give here ?!

I was there too . Never been as pissed off at a game . Would have been sorted out there and then with VAR 

jock _turd
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I was there too . Never been as pissed off at a game . Would have been sorted out there and then with VAR 

Very true... unless brother Beaton was in the contol room 😂 He would have found a way😄

Just now, jock _turd said:

Very true... unless brother Beaton was in the contol room 😂 He would have found a way😄

Aye possibly . See the Davis decision did that not effectively win Rangers the title or keep them in the race ? Ironic that if it was being used that night , it would have benefitted Celtic greatly 

VAR has been a positive, more correct decision have been made, though as we all know the refs still make mistakes.

Biggest frustration is how long it can take to make a decision, this will improve over time.

jock _turd
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Aye possibly . See the Davis decision did that not effectively win Rangers the title or keep them in the race ? Ironic that if it was being used that night , it would have benefitted Celtic greatly 

Itwould be dificult to pin it on that one game but I think you are right it was pivotal. 

ToadKiller Dog

Still lots of issues with it ,Takes too long ,loses the flow of the game .

It's still possible to fix that but it's taking some time .

There will always be some subjectivity in decision making football isn't cricket .

I'm not a big fan and we have had mixed results from it .

Yes the uglies are moaning about it but they ignore always the decisions that have helped them ,like how var eased the new Orc manager into his job with late pens when they were struggling ,it's also helped the other half of the uglies more than not .

Needs to work quicker ,the same amount if checking for a reason to overturn or call the ref to look has to be seen to be done equally .

At the moment I'm happy for it to stay as long as improvement is made .

I think the uglies will be leading a campaign with their media pals (likely sportsound pundits) to scrap it ,soon enough .

queensferryjambo

I don't mind it at all especially for offside calls.

Not that we faired well in either of the games below, but this is the difference between pre and post VAR. 

Pre VAR - December 2018 We are winning 1-0 at Tynecastle. We go on to lose 2-1. The winner is a Moreles goal when he and two other Rangers players are clearly offside. A sickening way to lose the game.

Post VAR - February 2023 Rangers pump us 3-0 at Tynecastle still a sickener, but in the same game Rangers had 3 goals chalked off for offside. All chalked off by VAR none of those offside goals were flagged by the linesman. 

I’d go back to referees refereeing the game. No technology please.

To those saying we may have /got /not got decisions etc have to remember refs nowadays know they have VAR in background so are not calling things the way they used to.

Edited by Gambo

martoon

No.

I'd keep it.

It's made the game in this country a little more fair, just a little more, than it was before.

But not for Hibs and their emailing support. They completely believe that they're cheated even more than pre-VAR. 😃 😀 😄 

Bull's-eye

Its absolute Shite, can't stand the time it takes.

It has shown up how bad our refs are though and we're seeing them make so many wrong decisions that VAR is required.

Unfortunately, we need it.

BigAlim

I’m all for it, if someone is offside then the goal doesn’t stand. If someone makes a dangerous tackle or a foul in the box then they don’t get away with it. 

The way that the technology is being used isn’t efficient but it’s all still brand new for those operating it.

The one thing that really gets on my nerves is the amount of time the ref stands about holding his ear piece before going over to look at the screen. On Wednesday night I said after about a minute that the ref was eventually going to go to the monitor and sure enough he did.

EH11 2NL

No chance. I think it's done alright, the minority of decisions get blown up but you never hear of the countless correct calls. Offside is 100% now, whether you like it or not it's black and white. If it's 1mm off, it's off. 

Other decisions are still up to the officials understanding of the rules (or want to help their childhood team if they are from the West of Scotland) which will never go away, unless AI takes over. The hand ball rule being a mess hasn't helped along with the time taken. But that's easily addressed to those in power.

LarrysRightFoot

100% I’d go back and get rid of it. Been to games without it (lower league etc) since it’s introduction and they feel better/right. Waiting to celebrate goals or celebrating only to have them chopped off is just wrong. 

LarrysRightFoot
5 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

No chance. I think it's done alright, the minority of decisions get blown up but you never hear of the countless correct calls. Offside is 100% now, whether you like it or not it's black and white. If it's 1mm off, it's off. 

Other decisions are still up to the officials understanding of the rules (or want to help their childhood team if they are from the West of Scotland) which will never go away, unless AI takes over. The hand ball rule being a mess hasn't helped along with the time taken. But that's easily addressed to those in power.

No it’s not. 

Watt-Zeefuik

If VAR had been on in 2012 Hooper's equalizer for Celtic in the semi would have been nullified as offsides.

That's the kind of thing that makes me want to keep it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Never wanted it and still don't want it.

IFAB are ruining the game.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

If VAR had been on in 2012 Hooper's equalizer for Celtic in the semi would have been nullified as offsides.

That's the kind of thing that makes me want to keep it.

And then we would never have had the Beattie.

Football is imperfect and should be celebrated as such.

It's here to stay and the bottom line is there are far fewer incorrect decisions than was the case pre-VAR. The thing that needs to change is the rules themselves, such as the handball rule, which most people agree is a disaster. I also think they need to change this 'clear and obvious error' carry on, which just seems to confuse matters.

As for the idea of a system with a limited number of challenges like tennis, that would just result in more arguments/paranoia than ever and would kind of defeat the purpose of VAR, which is simply to try and ensure the correct decision is arrived at in every case. 

dannymack

For as long as Celtic & Rangers remain in the Scottish Premiership than VAR must remain for the benefit of the lower status clubs. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, dannymack said:

For as long as Celtic & Rangers remain in the Scottish Premiership than VAR must remain for the benefit of the lower status clubs. 

And remind me how much "benefit" everyone else has got since its introduction?

We have had more decisions fo for us against the OF than we would have without it. Only problem is the people operating it still have an agenda. If Collum was var against celtic there is every chance the yellow for high boot would have stood and we may not have got the penalty. 

Until we have neutral officials things will never change regardless of technology.  

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

On balance, more "honest mistakes" in favour of the OF have been corrected than vice versa, so for me it is better than what we had.

The problem with VAR is that commentators, analysists and journos don't know the rules (unless it suits the agenda).   Refs know them inside out, or are supposed to! 🙂

waterboy11

Two things needed to fix it so it is streamlined and more accepted by everyone.

1. handball rule needs cleared up, it’s got too complex leading to the inconsistent decisions.

2. Shorten the process - if it needs multiple looks from multiple angles that’s taking 3/4/5 minutes it’s not a clear and obvious error. Max 2/3 replays decision within 1 minute. - keeps focus on what it was meant to be for Clear and obvious errors 

dannymack
17 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sundays game for a start. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
34 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Sundays game for a start. 

Recency bias. How long did it take for the opposition to get a decision at Ibrox?

Geoff Kilpatrick
51 minutes ago, jackal said:

We have had more decisions fo for us against the OF than we would have without it. Only problem is the people operating it still have an agenda. If Collum was var against celtic there is every chance the yellow for high boot would have stood and we may not have got the penalty. 

Until we have neutral officials things will never change regardless of technology.  

And if neutral officials are needed in the camera room, surely it would be better to start with neutral officials on the pitch rather than worry about the camera room.