Kyōsuke Tagawa

BackOfTheNet

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We cannot keep hoping Aberdeen and Hibs keep making a mess of things.

Given a choice…….you have the option to sign a player ready to go or a guy you’ll maybe see ready in February…..you take the first option all day long as you don’t get 2 chances to win these games.

We signed 1 striking project too many in August imo.

And the league shows we’re paying the price for it. Now you’re just complaining for complaining’s sake.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• GinRummy

• Drylaw Hearts

• RustyRightPeg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RustyRightPeg
22 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Of course Shankland was going to be first choice……but we had no other viable options anyway.

Thankfully he’s managed to stay injury and suspension free.

Right, so what you moaning about?

Vargas has exceeded expectations and is on track to hit double figures...Shankland is on 25 goals.

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Seeing 'project' banded about loads recently.

Back to LinkedIn with you.

Tell Naismith not me, it's his terminology.

OmiyaHearts
2 hours ago, Jamboross said:

You're skewing statistics somewhat. The vast majority of his appearances in the J League were fairly short, on average around 40 minutes. He averages a goal every 332 minutes so slightly better than a 1 in 4 ratio over 90 minutes. 

His game time in Portugal was similar, averaging out again at around 42 minutes per appearance but with a higher goal scoring rate of a goal every 238 minutes, so a 1 in 2.5 ratio over 90 minutes. 

For comparison that scoring rate in Portugal is more or less the same as Liam Boyce's with us. 

I've no idea if he'll come good, personally just don't think he's suited to the way we play, but I want him to keep getting chances as there's certainly a player in there. 

Appreciate you looking into in more detail. Hopefully comes good, of course and hopefully we'll see some signs of potential. 

Japan Jambo
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Being written off on KB is almost a guarantee to kick on and succeed.  

Good, I'm sure we'd (nearly) all welcome that heartily. It may well be that if he's still with us next season for example and he finds himself in a more comfortable place where he gets regular games playing against European teams who want to play a higher line and batter us and not simply scrapping together minutes here and there against teams that want to park the bus domestically. 

Facts of life though, entry level aside, is that in most walks of life if you aren't starting to contribute performing 7 months in your coat is on a pretty shoogly peg, more so the more you earn. Given that we've also paid a meaningful fee Naismith is quite correct in protecting the investment but he'll know all too well that there comes a point where you need to cut losses and move on. Not sure in retrospect that either side did enough due diligence prior to the move.

The Treasurer

I can't think of anyone better than Naismith to get the best out of an attacking player. 

Drylaw Hearts
20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

And the league shows we’re paying the price for it. Now you’re just complaining for complaining’s sake.

It’s not a complaint as such……it’s an observation.

We should have signed a player ready to replace Ginnellys goals……how anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

Look at league table….look at the stupid points we dropped between August and December because we were struggling to score goals.

We chose to sign 2 projects with a view to them taking 6 months to settle in and when you look at how the season has panned out….we could unbelievably be in an even better position.

When Tagiwa leaves….my bet is he won’t be replaced by another project and that will be an admission of their mistake.

Give me a player now rather being a man down whilst waiting on a player to maybe be ready in 6 months…..now is all that really matters in football imo.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I see Tagawa as a player who just needs a couple of goals in a game to get him up and running properly. He looks seriously short of confidence and it can look like he is hiding a bit in the games he plays but is that just failing to read the play or is he just not motivated to play for us. It's up to the player himself whether he is up to playing for us but I think Naismith is the man to turn things around as he has done so far with a lot of the newcomers after a mixed start to their time at Tynecastle. 

7 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We should have signed a player ready to replace Ginnellys goals……how anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

Look at league table….look at the stupid points we dropped between August and December because we were struggling to score goals.

We chose to sign 2 projects with a view to them taking 6 months to settle in and when you look at how the season has panned out….we could unbelievably be in an even better position.

When Tagiwa leaves….my bet is he won’t be replaced by another project and that will be an admission of their mistake.

Give me a player now rather being a man down whilst waiting on a player to maybe be ready in 6 months…..now is all that really matters in football imo.

Now is we are skooshing third, glad you agree that's what counts

1 minute ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Gino improved as a player with us  however it took a while to show the consistency he did in his final season. I don't think we can just "sign a player to replace Ginnelly" when we don't have a blank chequebook. We will always have to buy players with a view that we can improve them and by the same token, sadly lose our better players to clubs that can pay more in wages.  Its just the way it is. 

Gino improved with us the same way Shankland has. He will likely leave in the summer too.  Lets hope Tagawa can improve with us and keep our current good record with forwards going. 

As others have said, if anyone can help him start finding the net, its Naismith. 

Lambert Simnel

A lot of straw man arguments around here. It's possible to be very happy with the team, coaching staff, squad generally, and still be disappointed with Tagawa as an individual player and doubt that he will be able to make it as a Hearts player. Yes, he might improve, and it's possible he just needs more game time / to settle in more. That said, it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that he probably won't make it here. His performance against Spartans was seriously poor, when it's not unreasonable to have expect him to have been clearly in a different class to the opponents. Doesn't mean I want him to fail, doesn't mean that I previously wanted rid of Hoff, Vargas, Forrest and a dozen others. Just that I think he's probably not going to deliver in the way we hoped when he signed. 

SomethingAboutObua

'Project' , the in-vogue buzz (and painfully cringe) word back out today.

Whats worse is Hearts absolutely can afford 'projects', it's literally a critical part of the club's trading model plan, we're going to have more 'projects' coming in in the next few years to be part of the  cycle of selling and efficiently replacing our starters.

We're not Ajax or Bilbao, we're never going to be able to financially or practically have an acadamy that can invest the money into every youth player to hedge the bets that 11 of them will be a starter, and if we did we don't have the talent pool big enough to sustain or justify that investment. And even if we did have multi millions to begin to attempt to invest in that, how do yoi think we'll make that money before hand? Through player trading, which will largely consist of bringing in guys who are 'projects' 

****ing hell, so many on here cannot bear to be proven wrong and would rather see players and the club fail than hope they come good and admit they got it wrong. I'm saying that as someone that wanted Stendel kept/Naismith out/got plenty other of my views on Hearts' decisions  wrong. Turns out the people working with the players every day do know what's best for the team, rather than some dick in the stands who sees a team play 90 mins every other week 

BackOfTheNet
17 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

The biggest clubs in the world spend up to and over £100 million on players who flop. And you’re expecting Hearts to just go out and get a ready made replacement for Ginnelly to hit the ground running? Are you really that stubbornly averted to how things work?

Vargas didn’t hit the ground running when he came in, but if we exercise our option to buy, then at the start of next season we have that ready to hit the ground running player. But what if Shankland leaves in the summer? Do you expect us to go and just buy another player who will crack in 25 goals like he has, even though he was the first since John Robertson to hit 20 in a season?

You’re expecting things to click for every signing which is naive. You also expect a club our size with our budget to just go and get ready made replacements, which is beyond naive.

20 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Are you suggesting the manager who you wanted sacked not that long ago and in the middle of our current form would have had us competing for the title ? 

RustyRightPeg
22 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Vargas has 1 goal less than Gino did at this time last year. Hope this helps. 👍 

5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

You mean Ginos goals have been replaced ?  Oh Drylaw  

:qqb006:

Drylaw Hearts
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The biggest clubs in the world spend up to and over £100 million on players who flop. And you’re expecting Hearts to just go out and get a ready made replacement for Ginnelly to hit the ground running? Are you really that stubbornly averted to how things work?

Vargas didn’t hit the ground running when he came in, but if we exercise our option to buy, then at the start of next season we have that ready to hit the ground running player. But what if Shankland leaves in the summer? Do you expect us to go and just buy another player who will crack in 25 goals like he has, even though he was the first since John Robertson to hit 20 in a season?

You’re expecting things to click for every signing which is naive. You also expect a club our size with our budget to just go and get ready made replacements, which is beyond naive.

We need to at least give ourselves a fighting chance when it comes to replacing players.

Signing 2 players who were going to take 6 months to settle and leave us with only one player capable of scoring goals was a mistake imo.

These mistakes are the ones that need to be ironed out to ensure they aren’t replicated in future windows.

Re Budget

Tagiwa cost us a fee….will probably be on a decent wage and we’ll be contributing towards his accommodation.

Someone pish like Simon Murray would cost less and contributed more……that is how poor a signing Tagiwa has been.

Drylaw Hearts
13 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Are you suggesting the manager who you wanted sacked not that long ago and in the middle of our current form would have had us competing for the title ? 

Current points on the board would certainly suggest that we’d be closer to second if we hadn’t dropped so many silly points between August and December.

DalryJambo
36 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Fast, goal scoring wingers aren't growing on trees. Also if you remember it took Ginnelly 2-3 seasons to get to the standard he got to. Plenty on here wanted him emptied even at the start of his final season. 

All the players we get are realistically going to need to grow into their role at the club.

20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Too much exaggeration, £100,000,000 please, yes we all know some clubs are run by people who have made billions that just splash money on players that are not up to the job. You an go back to the like of Derby County many years ago and they’ve never recovered, even Everton who have signed a lot of dumplings. Hearts need to have scouts that can see a bargain, a potential that other clubs have been slow to watch or have not realised how good a player is. Scouts who bring these players to a managers notice are worth their weight in gold. Then it’s up to Naisy, if he is on board and would like a player, it’s all about going to our CEO and saying “I want this player, get him asap”. Then it’s in the hands of the Board to look at the costs, the budget & the willingness to give our manager what he wants. And we’re not talking about bankrupting the club as I’m sure the scouts have an idea of what Naisy is after because it’s just common sense. In Steven Naismith we trust there’s no other way forward.

Edited by mitch41

jambo-in-furness

Tagawa will get his chance next week after Shanks gets two yellows at Ibrox on Saturday 

Cambo_Jambo

Given we're likely to start next year without our current number nine and Boyce looks to be, potentially, goosed, maybe having a striker in that's been used to the system but not had a run is a good thing.

Maybe I'm absolutely insane but the idea of a guy that's sat in reserve could be good, no?

Additionally, once Shankland goes, our attack will look quite different and a guy with his skill set might be quite perfect.

kingantti1874
47 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

I’m pretty sure that was the intent. 

no one disagrees with the suggested outcome, we are disagreeing with the frankly ludicrous suggestion that it’s easy to find pacy forwards with a guaranteed goal return in our price range. Why are all teams not signing these players.  Why haven’t we signed them every year for the past 40 years 

no offence, it a really moronic lens. 

BackOfTheNet
38 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We need to at least give ourselves a fighting chance when it comes to replacing players.

Signing 2 players who were going to take 6 months to settle and leave us with only one player capable of scoring goals was a mistake imo.

These mistakes are the ones that need to be ironed out to ensure they aren’t replicated in future windows.

Re Budget

Tagiwa cost us a fee….will probably be on a decent wage and we’ll be contributing towards his accommodation.

Someone pish like Simon Murray would cost less and contributed more……that is how poor a signing Tagiwa has been.

Simon Murray? Jesus christ. You have no idea if a signing will work out. Look at Man Utd, they’ve spent actual hundreds of millions on players the manager has worked with before. A sure thing you’d think? Nope. They’ve been pish. Including the much lauded Amrabat. But their fans care more about saying their top scorer McTominay is shite.

No signing is a guaranteed success, just ones more likelier than others. But let’s say your argument is correct that someone like Murray could come in and do more initially, whatever he would do initially would be it. He would not improve. Players who are so called projects may not deliver immediately but would deliver more in the long run if their potential is managed correctly. You’re being so short sighted it’s unbelievable.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Good, I'm sure we'd (nearly) all welcome that heartily. It may well be that if he's still with us next season for example and he finds himself in a more comfortable place where he gets regular games playing against European teams who want to play a higher line and batter us and not simply scrapping together minutes here and there against teams that want to park the bus domestically. 

Facts of life though, entry level aside, is that in most walks of life if you aren't starting to contribute performing 7 months in your coat is on a pretty shoogly peg, more so the more you earn. Given that we've also paid a meaningful fee Naismith is quite correct in protecting the investment but he'll know all too well that there comes a point where you need to cut losses and move on. Not sure in retrospect that either side did enough due diligence prior to the move.

It's not a fact of life and certainly not relevant to a striker who is effectively back up to the best striker in the league. 

Your last sentence is just laughable. 

Did we do enough diligence on Vargas?

Edited by Bazzas right boot

I’m not meaning to jump on Drylaw but I have to say I hope we never sign journeymen like Simon Murray again. Would rather take a chance on a young unproven player than sign bang average players to fill holes. 

Edited by GinRummy

BackOfTheNet
49 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Too much exaggeration, £100,000,000 please, yes we all know some clubs are run by people who have made billions that just splash money on players that are not up to the job. You an go back to the like of Derby County many years ago and they’ve never recovered, even Everton who have signed a lot of dumplings. Hearts need to have scouts that can see a bargain, a potential that other clubs have been slow to watch or have not realised how good a player is. Scouts who bring these players to a managers notice are worth their weight in gold. Then it’s up to Naisy, if he is on board and would like a player, it’s all about going to our CEO and saying “I want this player, get him asap”. Then it’s in the hands of the Board to look at the costs, the budget & the willingness to give our manager what he wants. And we’re not talking about bankrupting the club as I’m sure the scouts have an idea of what Naisy is after because it’s just common sense. In Steven Naismith we trust there’s no other way forward.

Did you intentionally miss the point, or is that just a happy accident?

The point is that teams like Man Utd can spunk £90 million on Antony or £75 million on Sancho or £60 million on Mount or £50 million on Onana and so on. All considered by their own fans to be flops. Meaning that even the richest clubs in the world with almost every player in the world approachable and every data analysis capability at their disposal can muck up spectacularly. So to expect a club like us to be 100% bang on with every transfer to hit the ground running is straight up idiotic.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

At our price point there will always be gambles. There will always be successes and failures. In fact at any price point there will always be success and failures.  I wonder if Barca regret £120m for coutinho? Or Man U £90m for Anthony ? Or City 50m for Phillips? Or Newcastle £50m for a guy banned for a year with a gambling problem.

Given we are one of the best runs in our history, that would suggest we are getting more right than wrong.  Which is all you can ask for really

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not meaning to jump on Drylaw but I have to say I hope we never sign journey en like Simon Murray again. Would rather take a chance on a young unproven player than sign bang average players to fill holes. 

why don’t we sign a guaranteed striker may be amongst the daftest posts in the history of the board though.  So pile on justified .  🤣

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We cannot keep hoping Aberdeen and Hibs keep making a mess of things.

Given a choice…….you have the option to sign a player ready to go or a guy you’ll maybe see ready in February…..you take the first option all day long as you don’t get 2 chances to win these games.

We signed 1 striking project too many in August imo.

We are on track for 70 points this season. The hell with Aberdeen and Hibs.

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

why don’t we sign a guaranteed striker may be amongst the daftest posts in the history of the board though.  So pile on justified .  🤣

Tbf to the guy we did sign a lot of players in the summer window who, maybe predictably, took a while to settle in. There’s an interview with Naisy just before the last window where he says that he was looking for 25 year olds which I read as a deliberate statement. Signing youngish foreign players from foreign leagues is something I want to see continue but guys like Kent who have a better chance of hitting the ground running are important as well. It’s a balance which even if you get right relies on individuals as well as signing policy. 

In saying that, we are third by a stretch, in the quarters of the Scottish, got through a round in Europe that I didn’t expect us to progress in, on a fantastic run, have two good keepers, the best striker in the league, promising young players, great away form including the first away win against Celtic in years, unbeaten in the derby and financially stable. 

I’d say a lot of the above points to recruitment in the last few seasons not being too bad.

1874robbo
6 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

With the greatest of respect I’m inclined to trust Naismiths judgement on a player than yours. 

You’re entitled to your opinion 

We can bookmark this for the summer 👍

1874robbo
5 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Tend to agree. If you look back at what was said on the club web site when he signed., it’s clear that he was expected to “hit the ground running”. Indeed there’s a direct quote attributed to Frankie McEvoy that use that phrase. 

Ssshhhh you can’t say those things too loud on here.

I think the laddie needs time. Just give him a chance, if it doesn't work out we'll sign someone else. No big deal. 

Chillidigits
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

While other teams are scouting for quality players should we be scouting for quality scouts ?

1 hour ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

Given we're likely to start next year without our current number nine and Boyce looks to be, potentially, goosed, maybe having a striker in that's been used to the system but not had a run is a good thing.

Maybe I'm absolutely insane but the idea of a guy that's sat in reserve could be good, no?

Additionally, once Shankland goes, our attack will look quite different and a guy with his skill set might be quite perfect.

I think likely is a bit of a stretch, don’t see anyone paying what he’s worth to us

4 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

😂

All this thread really proves is that managers talk shite for journalists, and that some fans are either stupid enough to lap it up, or they are desparate to use a meaningless interview as evidence for a daft argument.

Bunny Munro

If Shankland goes in the summer he will need replacing with someone we can reasonably expect to hit 15-20 goals.

We can't hang our hat on Tagawa. Although I do think he's a decent player, but may not be suited to our game (either the way hearts play or Scottish football in general).

I also laugh at folk pining after Gino. He was here for 4 seasons and played consistently well for about 6 months - when he was trying to get himself a good move.

49 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Did you intentionally miss the point, or is that just a happy accident?

The point is that teams like Man Utd can spunk £90 million on Antony or £75 million on Sancho or £60 million on Mount or £50 million on Onana and so on. All considered by their own fans to be flops. Meaning that even the richest clubs in the world with almost every player in the world approachable and every data analysis capability at their disposal can muck up spectacularly. So to expect a club like us to be 100% bang on with every transfer to hit the ground running is straight up idiotic.

Why are you still going on about massive clubs who are hundreds of millions in debt.. Hearts work to a budget, we don’t want to carry debt unless it’s in Bricks & Mortar like the Main Stand. As for Boyce we have him till the end of next season in which he will hardly get a game because he just isn’t up to the job anymore just like Halliday. The 3 year contract we gave Halliday and this extra year we gave Boyce because of games played was bad business which Hearts should have known better than to let Neilson ok these contracts. Hearts are, I hope, will learn from the many mistakes that happened in the time of Cathro, Levein & Neilson. 

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hello @Drylaw Hearts

Can you comment on whether Gino’s goals have indeed been replaced or not?

ScandinavianJambo

The football world's (fans and clubs alike) need for instant gratification is something our quite clever manager has stated is not something he doesn't believe in. Perhaps trusting Naismith and co is okay, at this stage? The article reads like Tagawa hasn't been given enough time, due to Shanks and Kenneth doing so well. It sounds like our way of playing this far doesn't suits Tagawa's style of play and he has not been able to be brave enough when he is on the pitch, which we all can see.

Do I think Tagawa has talent, yes, and hopefully we will get to see it in our game. If not, well then we can sell him...

To try to blame the "projects" (don't like the term) for our poor start is bizarre. Naismith was putting his stamp on the team and has got a number of players to perform to extremely high standards (Forrest, Hoff, Vargas, Tait and even Oda).

Yes, we needed more goals, and Vargas contributions have been vital to our success of late, but that's not the whole picture. It is a whole teams ability that has brought us where we are today.

Tagawa is the only one who is behind the curve...not too bad for a bunch of "projects". Stating that goals where the only thing that was needed in the beginning of the season plays into the notion that the team's position is only to do with  Shankland...

And we all know we are better then that. 

-  

feedthefox
5 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

He's hardly going to slate the guy publicly. Naismith's being diplomatic, as he's not exactly got much evidence to suggest that Tagawa has shown anything.

He'll be quietly moved on in the summer. Suspect it would have happened last month if they could have.

Tend to agree with this.

I really hope Tagawa's sake and ours he suddenly finds a bit of something from somewhere. I'm not sure what else Naismith is meant to say in that situation but at 25 he should be nearing his peak in the next year or so which means he really needs a massive improvement in performance from what he's shown so far albeit with limited playing time. I'm not convinced by the project thing either.

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Why are you still going on about massive clubs who are hundreds of millions in debt.. Hearts work to a budget, we don’t want to carry debt unless it’s in Bricks & Mortar like the Main Stand. As for Boyce we have him till the end of next season in which he will hardly get a game because he just isn’t up to the job anymore just like Halliday. The 3 year contract we gave Halliday and this extra year we gave Boyce because of games played was bad business which Hearts should have known better than to let Neilson ok these contracts. Hearts are, I hope, will learn from the many mistakes that happened in the time of Cathro, Levein & Neilson. 

So you’ve missed the point twice then. And what on earth are you going on about with Halliday and Boyce?

5 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

I’m not a fan of this tactic we’ve adopted…..

Signing several players in the hope they’ll come good after 6 months is ok if you’ve got deep pockets and a huge squad……we don’t have either.

If we’d signed a striker who was ready to play right away we may not have dropped so many silly points earlier on the season.

We are handicapping ourselves with this approach imo.

Is it not actually the exact approach to take when managing a team where we don't have deep pockets and cannot sustain a huge squad?

We recognise we've got two quality strikers, one aging and one who very realistically could be purchased by another club, so we buy someone on a more modest wage/fee because they may require time to become the sufficient replacement for the already capable players we have.

Your approach, of simply buying ready-made players guaranteed to perform in our league even though we already have players at that level, would require very deep pockets and lead to a pretty huge squad...

Edited by Rampant

It looked at one stage that our recruitment was becoming consistently poor. 

Now Rowles is looking great again, Oda showing signs, Hoff looking like a pler, Vargas a diamond, Atkinson improving all the time and Kent…well he wears a magic hat. 

Tagawa has not worked so far but there will be a player in there. Whether we can find it is anyone’s guess. He might just not be suited to Scottish football. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

While other teams are scouting for quality players should we be scouting for quality scouts ?

Of course not, we should have the worst scouts in fact let’s not have any.   Sorry I’m just having a moment.

We seem to have a lot of good youngsters being scouted it’s the 19 to 23 year old players with the odd 27 to 29 year old’s  that might add that bit of help that can the others improve and win trophies. This season we’ve done really well thanks to the management/coaching of the team next season if the staff get backed we will do a lot better.

Cambo_Jambo
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

I think likely is a bit of a stretch, don’t see anyone paying what he’s worth to us

Really depends on the nature of the contract discussions.

If both sides left it with Hearts saying they've offered their best and Shankland saying he's not interested, then you'd have a situation where player, agent and club are all trying to get him a move that works for everyone.

If he keeps scoring, goes to the Euros and maybe gets a game, I could see a situation where a Championship club or, as we've seen more recently in Scotland, Italian club take a punt on him.

The latter is maybe less likely because of his age but it's possible.

Ultimately, if he's not going to sign on again, the club and him both need to look at options.