Kyōsuke Tagawa

BackOfTheNet

Jamboross
20 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

He only needs 2 goals between now and May to hit his career season average.

Or should we expect Tagawa to do something he's never done in his career and score every 5 or 6 games?

You're skewing statistics somewhat. The vast majority of his appearances in the J League were fairly short, on average around 40 minutes. He averages a goal every 332 minutes so slightly better than a 1 in 4 ratio over 90 minutes. 

His game time in Portugal was similar, averaging out again at around 42 minutes per appearance but with a higher goal scoring rate of a goal every 238 minutes, so a 1 in 2.5 ratio over 90 minutes. 

For comparison that scoring rate in Portugal is more or less the same as Liam Boyce's with us. 

I've no idea if he'll come good, personally just don't think he's suited to the way we play, but I want him to keep getting chances as there's certainly a player in there. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• GinRummy

• Drylaw Hearts

• RustyRightPeg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

I wish we'd been as patient on Kiamortzglou

Ah yes, Kia for short wasn’t it?

Drylaw Hearts

I’m not a fan of this tactic we’ve adopted…..

Signing several players in the hope they’ll come good after 6 months is ok if you’ve got deep pockets and a huge squad……we don’t have either.

If we’d signed a striker who was ready to play right away we may not have dropped so many silly points earlier on the season.

We are handicapping ourselves with this approach imo.

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Signing several players in the hope they’ll come good after 6 months is ok if you’ve got deep pockets and a huge squad……we don’t have either.

If we’d signed a striker who was ready to play right away we may not have dropped so many silly points earlier on the season.

Handicapping ourselves to blitzing 3rd and being closer to 2nd than 4th. If this isn’t a time to allow players to bed in, then when the hell is?

TexasAndy

Being written off on KB is almost a guarantee to kick on and succeed.  

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I hoped this thread would go one way, but unfortunately it’s going the way I suspected… :mellow:

It’s because there’s always got to be someone. Folk are entitled to their view on any player but for some there simply has to be one they can stick the boot into. If Tagawa were to come off the bench on Saturday and score the winner by Sunday morning there’d be a new boo boy. 

BackOfTheNet

Players who JKB/Facebook DA’s/Twitter sleekits have written off as “not good enough” or “worst player to play for Hearts” or “chicken hearted”, “lazy”, “touch of an elephant” and have been told we should “get rid” just this current decade (so far):

Vargas

Forrest

Grant

Nieuwenhof

Oda

Sibbick

Atkinson

Simms

Clare

Halkett

Djoum

Edwards

Players that some fans hyped up as something special (and I include myself for some of these): 

Lee

Whelan (first few games)

McDonald

H. Cochrane

Mackay-Steven

Halliday

Woodburn

Irving

Kuol

Snodgrass

Humphrys

Lowry

Now on both lists there's been varying degrees of success. And just because someone will stubbornly be written off by many doesn't mean

they're actually bad. Likewise, just because elements of the support love a player or think they'll be the next big thing, doesn't mean they'll live up to the hype or have been as good as their support suggests.

Basically, it's foolish to write a player

off early or to expect grand things until they've had decent game time.

Ricardo Quaresma

He's had a severe lack of game time the last 2 years, that's going to take several full games to correct

Hopefully we can wrap up 3rd and throw him in; he's at a time where he's got to start producing or he'll just keep getting new clubs based on caps for Japan and goals against big Portuguese clubs

People outside this league may take a dim view if he doesn't do well here, but it's not that easy a league to crack as outsiders think, it's quite a stern test and players have to be willing to work hard and study it to do well; they typically get the tools to do well elsewhere when they succeed here too

Just like Kenneth Vargas is doing, funnily enough; a proper student of the game is Kenny 🙂

BackOfTheNet
20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s because there’s always got to be someone. Folk are entitled to their view on any player but for some there simply has to be one they can stick the boot into. If Tagawa were to come off the bench on Saturday and score the winner by Sunday morning there’d be a new boo boy. 

True. But you’re forgetting the “one swallow does not a summer make” trope that comes out by those who write off players when said player has a good game. By the end of his stint (in a truly awful assembled squad) Sean Clare had more swallows than a Leith docks hooker, but that old trope still got banded about…

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Vlad Magic
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Players who JKB/Facebook DA’s/Twitter sleekits have written off as “not good enough” or “worst player to play for Hearts” or “chicken hearted”, “lazy”, “touch of an elephant” and have been told we should “get rid” just this current decade (so far):

Vargas

Forrest

Grant

Nieuwenhof

Oda

Sibbick

Atkinson

Simms

Clare

Halkett

Djoum

Edwards

Players that some fans hyped up as something special (and I include myself for some of these): 

Lee

Whelan (first few games)

McDonald

H. Cochrane

Mackay-Steven

Halliday

Woodburn

Irving

Kuol

Snodgrass

Humphrys

Lowry

Now on both lists there's been varying degrees of success. And just because someone will stubbornly be written off by many doesn't mean

they're actually bad. Likewise, just because elements of the support love a player or think they'll be the next big thing, doesn't mean they'll live up to the hype or have been as good as their support suggests.

Basically, it's foolish to write a player

off early or to expect grand things until they've had decent game time.

I was convinced the Maroon Concorde AKA Aidy White was going to be a complete baller for us.

Lesson learned 🤣

HopeDiouf
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Naismith has been talking about Tagawa to EEN

Before any “supporter” comes on here and has a go at the guy without reading the article, I’d like you to make you aware of probably the most important part of it:

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

What Naismith said when he signed.

Kyosuke Tagawa could get Hearts debut at St Johnstone as Steven Naismith outlines role in team - Football Scotland

image.png.56775d084b33ed17955e4320a4b4117b.png

9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

True. But you’re forgetting the “one swallow does not a summer make” trope that comes out by those who write off players when said player has a good game. By the end of his stint (in a truly awful assembled squad) Sean Clare had more swallows than a Leith docks hooker, but that old trope still got banded about…

😂 

I like Clare but half his issue was he was better attacking from a deep position but at the same time wasn’t great defensively. Made a good living out of football but can’t help feeling his talent could have seen him do better. 

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

'Hopefully' the obvious disclaimer, of course, so now there's another plan

Doesn't mean he was expected to hit the ground running, or signed to have an immediate impact

The topic of Tagawa just goes round in circles on here and it basically falls into 2 categories :

1 - People who have written him off have decided he will never come good and want to see him moved on already. A failed signing who doesn't deserve more than 500 odd minutes to prove himself.

2 - People who acknowledge that he hasn't been good enough but also take into account other factors for his poor/slow start and giving him the benefit of the doubt - having faith that he might turn good if given more of a chance.

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

'Hopefully' the obvious disclaimer, of course, so now there's another plan

Doesn't mean he was expected to hit the ground running, or signed to have an immediate impact

Yep.  We clearly hoped he'd hit the ground running.  He hasn't, hence the lack of game time.  

May or may not come good at some point, but he'll need to do something when he gets a chance if he wants to get a run.  So far, he's done very little with the chances he's been given and unless that changes between now and summer, I doubt he'll still be here come next season.

Chillidigits
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Everything is so rosy at the moment, but folk still find ways to knock our players, and go against the gaffer's judgement. It's funny.

Well may as well get used to it. For those folk our next defeat is just around the corner. However I'm sure those people are just as delighted as the rest of us when Hearts just keep on winning.

BackOfTheNet
12 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

We hoped he would hit the ground running as what made Naismith “think” this was his time in Europe. Not all signings are like what the data / research suggests. And he says in the article in the OP it’s a mixed bag, saying Tagawa has to do more, but that he’s also been limited in opportunities and Naismith lays some blame at his own feet for the messages he’s given when the chances have been given.

Chillidigits
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I don't think he's shown enough, but I don't see him in training or knew much of him before.

Whatever his potential or however it goes it's clear that he was always going to  take time to settle - or not.

New league,  new continent , new house, different culture , new friends etc.

He may settle and play well or he may not, but it's clear time was always needed to decide that.

The jkb massive ofc  can decide a players fate on 30 minutes of football.

Ideal scenerio is he settles, gets better and delivers and then Boycey becomes the  extra guy as he slows down a little next season and beyond and get used less.

It's almost like we have a plan.

Once he eats and keeps down his first plate of haggis we'll see improvements.

1 hour ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Your argument would hold a lot more water if the side wasn’t doing as well. It just seems really ****ing daft in the context of this season. 

Edited by GinRummy

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Bang on the money. At 25 he should'nt be a PROJECT.

Seeing 'project' banded about loads recently.

Back to LinkedIn with you.

ScandinavianJambo

Forrest should have been dumped, Hoof is a liability and weak. Tagawa is week and useless because the supporters says so. 

When Naismith says give him time, it is still not enough evidence because of all the "positive" arm chair managers on here. 

It is starting to become a bit tedious. 

And yes, off course one can criticise players, but it is the black and white statements closely followed by " I am glad to have been proven wrong" that is a bit grating. 

Give him to the end of this season and then make a judgement. The problem is that Forest have been here 2 years and only know is staring to sparkle. However let's hope that's todo with Naismith's man management skills and not a 2 year settling in period....

Ricardo Quaresma
27 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Yep.  We clearly hoped he'd hit the ground running.  He hasn't, hence the lack of game time.  

May or may not come good at some point, but he'll need to do something when he gets a chance if he wants to get a run.  So far, he's done very little with the chances he's been given and unless that changes between now and summer, I doubt he'll still be here come next season.

The boy is stone cold, yes, he hasn't shown much, can't disagree, one great finish against partick and a few glimpses

Only way to heat a cold stone is to throw it into something hot, so, as I wrote earlier, hopefully wrap up 3rd and throw him in

Not every signing is going to hit. 

The answer to whether he just needs an adjustment period or is a bust will be answered if he is on the squad next season. Won't be a mystery.

My guess is, with the years remaining on his contract and the Hearts new commitment in the Japanese market, that you see him back next year.

Mr Rabbit

Personally I think we know it’s unlikely he’ll be good enough and we’re trying to put his name out there to drum up interest. Same with the news earlier in the week that clubs are looking at him.

Pretty sure we did similar last year with Kio.

I don’t know why so many people on here get so offended when others say that players aren’t good enough.

It’s nothing personal and It can be for a variety of reasons and isn’t always about ability. There’s been better players than Tagawa who haven’t made it for us. Some of which who have went on to perform elsewhere.

The bottom line is if we want to keep improving we need to replace anyone who isn’t pulling their weight. So far he is not impacting games at all.

Drylaw Hearts
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Handicapping ourselves to blitzing 3rd and being closer to 2nd than 4th. If this isn’t a time to allow players to bed in, then when the hell is?

But he hasn’t managed to bed in at all.

Just sign players who can play right away and help the team……not players who take a 6 months to get going.

We aren’t Man City and can’t afford to chuck 6 months wages on 3 or 4 players whilst they find their feet.

There aren’t many jobs you’d get 6 months of almost zero contribution on full pay and extras…..I’d rather have a player who could have chipped in with a few goals whilst Boyce was injured, Vargas was settling in and Shankland was having a lean spell.

We left ourselves with no options to change things around and it probably cost us points.

42 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Once he eats and keeps down his first plate of haggis we'll see improvements.

I am 67 and have never managed that yet. What chance has he got!  Get rid!🤣

Drylaw Hearts
38 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Your argument would hold a lot more water if the side wasn’t doing as well. It just seems really ****ing daft in the context of this season. 

You couldn’t be more wrong.

The way the season has worked out makes the points dropped more frustrating……having only Shankland from end of August was a downfall for us. 

Waiting on Vargas and Tagiwa hampered in that period imo.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Rubbish.

Spectacularly. 

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Exactly, its moaning for the sake of moaning and moving the goal posts to suit your point. It has started out "why are we signing all these project players like Vargas and Neuwienhof, they are just gambles." They then settle in and do well and prove good signings "we still shouldn't sign these players because they did not hit the ground running in the first few games of the season."

Tagawa might never work, it may end up best for both sides that they part company in the summer. But I would rather give him every chance he can until he has left as I want all players at Hearts to do well, as if they do well the club does well. Reading Naismith's comments, I do think there is some frustration from him but I dont think it is aimed solely at Tagawa. I think Naimsith is frustrated at the situation (which is a mixed blessing, we are doing well and Shankland is in great form with Vargas hitting great form too, but means he cant give Tagawa the chances he wants to give him) at himself for maybe how he has used him during the matches, and with Tagawa not showing his best in games but working hard in training. There is definitely still the view from Naismith that Tagawa will demonstrate what he is capable off and be a valuable player for us.

Watt-Zeefuik

We’re, what, five weeks at most out of Nieuwenhoff being a failed signing and a wage thief?

The only way we could tell if he is good enough is to drop Shanks and adapt our play to suit Tagawa

Thats not happening 

yet

BackOfTheNet
21 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

But he hasn’t managed to bed in at all.

Just sign players who can play right away and help the team……not players who take a 6 months to get going.

We aren’t Man City and can’t afford to chuck 6 months wages on 3 or 4 players whilst they find their feet.

There aren’t many jobs you’d get 6 months of almost zero contribution on full pay and extras…..I’d rather have a player who could have chipped in with a few goals whilst Boyce was injured, Vargas was settling in and Shankland was having a lean spell.

We left ourselves with no options to change things around and it probably cost us points.

You don’t really get the make up of a squad or good forward planning do you? What do you think we’d have if we had 23-26 players that could come in and “hit the ground running” and perform to exactly how the supporters want them to?

I’ll tell you what you’d get, around 9 players unhappy to be on the bench, and another 3-6 players furious to not even be in the squad.

We can’t rely on a conveyor belt of academy players, because we know that the vast majority of youth players don’t make it. So a squad needs a mix of players ‘hitting the ground running’ who expect to start every game, but behind them you need a combination of youth players, new recruits, projects (if you must call them that) and players returning from injury who will be content for lesser game time in the relative short term. That means players like Tagawa willing to adapt and acclimatise to a new league, team and surroundings (not to mention language etc) who will need time. But they’re content with their position in the squad. That way you don’t have most of the squad disgruntled that they’re not playing.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Exactly, its moaning for the sake of moaning and moving the goal posts to suit your point. It has started out "why are we signing all these project players like Vargas and Neuwienhof, they are just gambles." They then settle in and do well and prove good signings "we still shouldn't sign these players because they did not hit the ground running in the first few games of the season."

Tagawa might never work, it may end up best for both sides that they part company in the summer. But I would rather give him every chance he can until he has left as I want all players at Hearts to do well, as if they do well the club does well. Reading Naismith's comments, I do think there is some frustration from him but I dont think it is aimed solely at Tagawa. I think Naimsith is frustrated at the situation (which is a mixed blessing, we are doing well and Shankland is in great form with Vargas hitting great form too, but means he cant give Tagawa the chances he wants to give him) at himself for maybe how he has used him during the matches, and with Tagawa not showing his best in games but working hard in training. There is definitely still the view from Naismith that Tagawa will demonstrate what he is capable off and be a valuable player for us.

:spoton:

gordon simpson
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

Being written off on KB is almost a guarantee to kick on and succeed.  

spot on , as most of the pish spouted on here has been proven to be this season 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

That’s a fair opinion.

i on the other hand am a big fan of the approach. To get a squad full of players that will be ready to skoosh third and challenge the OF from day 1 would require English Championship revenues that we don’t have. 

If we play our cards right we should have 15 or so outfield players who are fully up to speed at any given moment, and a handful of players finding their feet, whether from the youth academy or from promising signings from smaller leagues. If enough of those kick on to greater things, we should be set for player transfer profits.

Drylaw Hearts
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

You don’t really get the make up of a squad or good forward planning do you? What do you think we’d have if we had 23-26 players that could come in and “hit the ground running” And perform to exactly how the supporters want them to?

I’ll tell you what you’d get, around 9 played unhappy to be on the bench, and another 3-6 players furious to not even be in the squad.

We can’t rely on a conveyor belt of academy players, because we know that the vast majority of youth players don’t make it. So a squad needs a mix of players ‘hitting the ground running’ who expect to start every game, but behind them you need a combination of youth players, new recruits, projects (if you must call them that) and players returning from injury who will be content for lesser game time in the relative short term. That means players like Tagawa willing to adapt and acclimatise to a new league, team and surroundings (not to mention language etc) who will need time. But they’re content with their position in the squad. That way you don’t have most of the squad disgruntled that they’re not playing.

Our striking department was made up of Shankland, an injury prone Boyce, a 21 year old from Costa Rica and a low scoring Japanese striker….the latter 2 only having arrived a couple of weeks prior to the season starting.

So don’t talk to me about squad make-up and forward planning…….because as far as that area of the pitch is concerned we got the mix completely wrong and didn’t plan properly. Which is why we struggled for goals for the first few months of the season.

I’d bet diamonds Naismith would turn back the clock and sign a striker ready to go instead of waiting 6 months on a maybe.

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Drylaw Hearts said:

Our striking department was made up of Shankland, an injury prone Boyce, a 21 year old from Costa Rica and a low scoring Japanese striker….the latter 2 only having arrived a couple of weeks prior to the season starting.

So don’t talk to me about squad make-up and forward planning…….because as far as that area of the pitch is concerned we got the mix completely wrong and didn’t plan properly. Which is why we struggled for goals for the first few months of the season.

I’d bet diamonds Naismith would turn back the clock and sign a striker ready to go instead of waiting 6 months on a maybe.

Did we though? Shankland was always going to be 1st choice.

I don't understand the point you're making. We underperformed as a TEAM during the European run, it wasn't just on scoring goals, we looked leggy throughout that period.

Drylaw Hearts
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Did we though? Shankland was always going to be 1st choice.

I don't understand the point you're making. We underperformed as a TEAM during the European run, it wasn't just on scoring goals, we looked leggy throughout that period.

Of course Shankland was going to be first choice……but we had no other viable options anyway.

Thankfully he’s managed to stay injury and suspension free.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Forward planning means signing players with the future in mind. You’re complaining that signings in the summer didn’t hit the ground running. As we see now, they didn’t need to, as we have the best striker in the league doing better than he already was last season, meaning in the future we will have players who have bedded in by the point and hopefully will be on the ground running when needed.

Bull's-eye
2 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Your not really a fan of anything to do with Hearts though, are you Drylaw.

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You don’t really get the make up of a squad or good forward planning do you? What do you think we’d have if we had 23-26 players that could come in and “hit the ground running” And perform to exactly how the supporters want them to?

I’ll tell you what you’d get, around 9 played unhappy to be on the bench, and another 3-6 players furious to not even be in the squad.

I do think some dont understand what Hearts are trying to do with squad building. Its long term building where there team is settled and requires only a small amount of players in and out each season (think Naismith said 10% ideally.) I also keep bringing back to the quote from Naismith that ideally new signings would be out of view for the first six months to provide them the most time to settle in. It speaks to the idea that ideally Hearts will have continuity in the squad so the players that got you where were the season before will be the same at the start of the season. The new players then build up through the season so that second half they contribute then flourish at the start of the next season. Continuity is one of the biggest factors for clubs pushing above their weight.

32 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

You couldn’t be more wrong.

The way the season has worked out makes the points dropped more frustrating……having only Shankland from end of August was a downfall for us. 

Waiting on Vargas and Tagiwa hampered in that period imo.

Players have often taken time to bed in, certainly this century, so what’s the solution? Players from this league like Forrest who took a full season to find his best form, players from down south like Grant and Kent, one hit the ground running and one didn’t. Devlin hit the ground running the other Aussies didn’t. It’s almost like some players take time to settle and some don’t. Or that some signings work out and some don’t. Signing seasoned players could probably reduce the risk but we done that a lot under Levein and it didn’t work out very well. 

Gorgi1874

If we can make a profit out of him in the summer, sell him. If not, a preseason or loan move could be the making of him. 

Drylaw Hearts
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Forward planning means signing players with the future in mind. You’re complaining that signings in the summer didn’t hit the ground running. As we see now, they didn’t need to, as we have the best striker in the league doing better than he already was last season, meaning in the future we will have players who have bedded in by the point and hopefully will be on the ground running when needed.

We cannot keep hoping Aberdeen and Hibs keep making a mess of things.

Given a choice…….you have the option to sign a player ready to go or a guy you’ll maybe see ready in February…..you take the first option all day long as you don’t get 2 chances to win these games.

We signed 1 striking project too many in August imo.

Drylaw Hearts
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Players have often taken time to bed in, certainly this century, so what’s the solution? Players from this league like Forrest who took a full season to find his best form, players from down south like Grant and Kent, one hit the ground running and one didn’t. Devlin hit the ground running the other Aussies didn’t. It’s almost like some players take time to settle and some don’t. Or that some signings work out and some don’t. Signing seasoned players could probably reduce the risk but we done that a lot under Levein and it didn’t work out very well. 

Again this is point……too many players taking too long to find their feet.

We have a squad of 25 and it feels like only about half of them were ready to play.

3 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We cannot keep hoping Aberdeen and Hibs keep making a mess of things.

Given a choice…….you have the option to sign a player ready to go or a guy you’ll maybe see ready in February…..you take the first option all day long as you don’t get 2 chances to win these games.

We signed 1 striking project too many in August imo.

The only way to have a squad mostly bedded in and ‘ready’ is not to make many signings. We’ve done what you suggested when Levein was DoF  and it was still very much a mixed bag, Lafferty, Vanecek and Steven McLean were three who were playing at a good level before signing. One worked and two didn’t. I’m sure the people responsible for signing them hoped for better. 

BackOfTheNet
15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I do think some dont understand what Hearts are trying to do with squad building. Its long term building where there team is settled and requires only a small amount of players in and out each season (think Naismith said 10% ideally.) I also keep bringing back to the quote from Naismith that ideally new signings would be out of view for the first six months to provide them the most time to settle in. It speaks to the idea that ideally Hearts will have continuity in the squad so the players that got you where were the season before will be the same at the start of the season. The new players then build up through the season so that second half they contribute then flourish at the start of the next season. Continuity is one of the biggest factors for clubs pushing above their weight.

Exactly. It’s something he likely recalls from his time at Rangers and I’m pretty certain he didn’t hit the ground running at Everton at first either. Took him some time to settle in a new league if I recall.

9 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Again this is point……too many players taking too long to find their feet.

We have a squad of 25 and it feels like only about half of them were ready to play.

I agree, there a balance to be had but I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. If you see my post above , we need a more settled squad and once the quality is there that should see better starts to the season. If we are signing seasoned pros the quality is unlikely to be great imo. We just can’t afford it. 

Edited by GinRummy