Kenneth Vargas ( merged )

HeartsandonlyHearts

Bazzas right boot

He's being used correctly as well.

With Shankland on form and not being injured it means Vargas has been introduced at a pace that suited and we have been able to use him later on in games, this has helped us and him- he's settled,  not been over played and we've seen the benifits of that.

Recruitment has had some red flags, especially from last season and was hampered by injuries bit this season Haa been much better and if true Dhanda in will also be a good addition.

Be great to keep this team together and add 2/3 real bits of quality to it in the summer.

On the other hand, lose Beni,  Dexter,  Shankland and Cochrane then we are looking at a big and important window. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Bazzas right boot

• Chimp

• FarmerTweedy

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Victorian said:

Vargas,  Forrest and Dhanda.

:jjyay:

Vargas,  Forrest,  Dhanda and Shankland.

:clumshot:

Mckay

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

That could very well be it 🤪

Cannie believe I made that error. Thanks to you and @WDJ87 for correcting me. I knew CR was in Central America. It was one of the few things I remember from school ffs. And if I remember correctly, there are seven countries in Central America. And they are..? (Nae googling!).

Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama. I know them, I don't know how many there are in total tho.

King prawn

I’ve got a feeling it was longer ago than I remember but didn’t Costa Rica do well in one of the last world cups ? Seems like their ranking has slipped away a bit now but still worth looking at.

Absolutely superb country Costa Rica by the way - would recommend it to anyone. 

King prawn
6 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama. I know them, I don't know how many there are in total tho.

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Cannie believe I made that error. Thanks to you and @WDJ87 for correcting me. I knew CR was in Central America. It was one of the few things I remember from school ffs. And if I remember correctly, there are seven countries in Central America. And they are..? (Nae googling!).

Belize and El Salvador too no?  1 more to go and I can’t remember it 

16 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

127 views and no replies.

No one knows what the **** is happening, the point in the OP or what the question was!

:rofl:

Not like you to have an unnecessary dig at someone eh! Ended up backfiring and it's turned into a good discussion

Its almost like Bazza's Right Boot has a quota of posts he has to fill daily :laugh:

But yeh, hope we get Vargas's signing, over the line.

Scott Leitch
16 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

127 views and no replies.

No one knows what the **** is happening, the point in the OP or what the question was!

Dear oh dear Tosh. 

I'm sure if we tie up Vargas we'll already be looking at other players in from that same part of the world. If we can get players with the potential and quality of Vargas at such a low fee it would be silly not to keep tabs on others. The reported 200k (ish) seems like an absolute steal and wonder if Herediano will be wishing they'd asked for more, especially after breaking into the Costa Rican national side.

Edited by Chimp

• davemclaren changed the title to Kenneth Vargas ( merged )
11 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'm sure if we tie up Vargas we'll already be looking at other players in from that same part of the world. If we can get players with the potential and quality of Vargas at such a low fee it would be silly not to keep tabs on others. The reported 200k (ish) seems like an absolute steal and wonder if Herediano will be wishing they'd asked for more, especially after breaking into the Costa Rican national side.

I might be making this up I’m sure it was being reported that if the Vargas deal was completed it would be a transfer record for Herediano?

2 minutes ago, PHSCAndy said:

I might be making this up I’m sure it was being reported that if the Vargas deal was completed it would be a transfer record for Herediano?

If that's the case then we really should be paying close attention to these sorts of leagues. There's plenty of talent out there and bargains to be had and I'm glad we're casting our net further out now. 

RustyRightPeg
24 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I dare say they will yeah.

Credit to JS and co for negotiating what looks to be a bargain.

50 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I’ve got a feeling it was longer ago than I remember but didn’t Costa Rica do well in one of the last world cups ? Seems like their ranking has slipped away a bit now but still worth looking at.

My old dear went to Costa Rica and absolutely fell in love with the place and the people, 'Ticas?'

Remember before playing them in World Cup 90, Murdo MacLeod was asked 'What do you know about Costa Rica?'

'Eh...A hink they're unknown'

Right, mate. 

Edited by Scud

18 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yep, fully deserve credit for this one. 

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

Yep, fully deserve credit for this one. 

yep, plus Davie Wier I think?

RustyRightPeg
33 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

yep, plus Davie Wier I think?

What's the story there? A Brighton rec?

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

What's the story there? A Brighton rec?

yeah.  pretty sure I read that somewhere at the time.

The_razors_edge
1 hour ago, King prawn said:

Belize and El Salvador too no?  1 more to go and I can’t remember it 

Nicaragua? 🇳🇮 

3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I also remember reading Banderson saying that he'd held talks with Club Brugge a month previous to us agreeing a deal along with other clubs in Europe. We certainly weren't the only ones interested.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Certainly is, when you consider last season Herediano sold two players for over 1 million. One was 18, the other was 23 years old. So Vargas going for a around £200k would be one of their fifth biggest transfer fees but still a massive bargain.

RustyRightPeg
37 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

32 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I also remember reading Banderson saying that he'd held talks with Club Brugge a month previous to us agreeing a deal along with other clubs in Europe. We certainly weren't the only ones interested.

Fair enough. Even more credit to JS and co then. 

Of all the clubs in world football who's judgment I'd trust on young up and coming players, it's probably Brighton's currently.

Berrassobad
2 hours ago, Chimp said:

If that's the case then we really should be paying close attention to these sorts of leagues. There's plenty of talent out there and bargains to be had and I'm glad we're casting our net further out now. 

Absolutely. Whilst I wasnt specific enough previously for "@gazzas night oot" whos clearly Costa Reekin -  I do wonder about the financial situation at CSH considering they were willing to let him go (and for cheap imo) They have an 18 yr old CF seems to be getting picked. By all accounts Kenny is thoroughly enjoying it here and that puts us in an enviable situation should another C Rican target appear.

Re Vargas - Firstly my apologies as Ive been away and this has probably already been written - BUT........watched his goal against Motherwell a few times from differing angles........The first touch, the angle of the body while shooting, and the pace of his finish/area of the box - it all had the word Skacel written all over. I'm far from saying Vargas is or will be the standard/quality of RS, but the similarity in style for that one goal was profuse. 🤞 (never under-estimate how much that will have upped his confidence and push him on,,,,,tomorrow might tell us more !)

Valois No1
4 hours ago, Chimp said:

Not like you to have an unnecessary dig at someone eh! Ended up backfiring and it's turned into a good discussion

Well said that man

ColinSmith1255
3 hours ago, Scud said:

My old dear went to Costa Rica and absolutely fell in love with the place and the people, 'Ticas?'

Remember before playing them in World Cup 90, Murdo MacLeod was asked 'What do you know about Costa Rica?'

'Eh...A hink they're unknown'

Right, mate. 

I was at that game 😡.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, King prawn said:

2014. Got drawn into the "group of death" with Italy, England, and Urugay and won the ****ing group (Sent both Italy and England home, the latter with only 1 point :lol:). Knocked out Greece in the knockout round to beat the quarterfinals, and took the Netherlands to PKs. Tremendous team. First time I saw the 3-4-3 used so effectively by an underdog team to play attacking football against much more talented rosters.

And fully agreed about Costa Rica in general. The weather in San Jose is basically perfect the entire year.

1 hour ago, busbyfth said:

Re Vargas - Firstly my apologies as Ive been away and this has probably already been written - BUT........watched his goal against Motherwell a few times from differing angles........The first touch, the angle of the body while shooting, and the pace of his finish/area of the box - it all had the word Skacel written all over. I'm far from saying Vargas is or will be the standard/quality of RS, but the similarity in style for that one goal was profuse. 🤞 (never under-estimate how much that will have upped his confidence and push him on,,,,,tomorrow might tell us more !)

Aye.

Very Rudi-esque.

One touch to create a bit of trigger room, then, in a flash, a left foot raker across the goalie.

Superb goal.

FarmerTweedy
7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I think Mexico counts, at least part of it is in North America, but I'm sure part is in central! Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Belize, Panama? As well as Costa Rica!

JoelHeartsStandard

Thought I'd plug the in-depth interview with Vargas. A hugely impressive figure. I didn't do the interview (my Spanish is very basic!) but went along for it and spoke to him before and after in broken Spanish and very slow English. He has plenty of confidence, he loves Edinburgh and the club. Big thing that stood out from the interview is how big a sacrifice he has made to leave Costa Rica for Gorgie.

Also...

"The truth is I am really happy here. I want to renew [my contract] first of all, I want to feel secure being here. This is not in my hands, I have told the club that I want to stay, and I want to be able to sign the contract as soon as possible."

https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/24137477.kenneth-vargas-keen-stay-hearts-for-long-time/

5 hours ago, Berrassobad said:

Absolutely. Whilst I wasnt specific enough previously for "@gazzas night oot" whos clearly Costa Reekin -  I do wonder about the financial situation at CSH considering they were willing to let him go (and for cheap imo) They have an 18 yr old CF seems to be getting picked. By all accounts Kenny is thoroughly enjoying it here and that puts us in an enviable situation should another C Rican target appear.

Maybe we should buy them as a feeder club like Wee Bournemouth did with Hibs 

Imagine we kept hold of Shanks . With Dhanda and Vargas being here along with Forrest and McKay we would be so far ahead of every other club outside the old firm in attack

Keep Beni too …….. Craig Gordon ……….. our defence ………….

Ooooft 

A_A wehatethehibs

I think a few fans myself included were having a pop at him after 10-15 games. I do tend to give a foreign player that sort of time to adjust. But then at that point, I feel it’s time to deliver so you start to get frustrated. We’re looking for someone at, or above, Josh Ginnellys level. That’s the expectation. It’s a big ask, but these guys who come from abroad to our club, yes there’s an adjustment period but you’re walking into our team ahead of young lads who dream of playing for Hearts. So if you come here, you’ve got to deliver, you’ve got to bring some quality into the building.

And to be fair to Kenneth he definitely has took on that challenge as a young man. He’s got courage and he’s got quality. I would be delighted if we get him signed for next season. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Chillidigits
8 hours ago, Chimp said:

Kenneth himself may have tipped us off on a few gems

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

I was at that game 😡.

Sadly so was I - was in italy on the other side of the country and could only make one match. no ticket so I opted for the game we would almost certainly win

Day's journey from Venice, buying a ticket outside the ground for above the face value (£140 IIRC) and only got in  10 minutes. after the start. Was so horrified by the game I was gripping the barrier in front of me most of the game. The stadium had only been finished a few days before and when I tried to get my hands off they were stuck, just to compound my misery. met my mates after I got back to scotland who had chosen the sweden game instead

:sadrobbo:

Edited by scott herbertson

Borders Jambo

The other thing is that Hearts Standard is really up to speed with all things to do with the club.

I have no connection to them but have really enjoyed a lot of the interviews and articles.

Also brilliant to hear about KV. He is going to be a star 

3 hours ago, Wilo said:

That's one of the best interviews I've seen/heard from one of our foreign players.

Seems level headed with the right attitude to succeed.

ColinSmith1255
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Sadly so was I - was in italy on the other side of the country and could only make one match. no ticket so I opted for the game we would almost certainly win

Day's journey from Venice, buying a ticket outside the ground for above the face value (£140 IIRC) and only got in  10 minutes. after the start. Was so horrified by the game I was gripping the barrier in front of me most of the game. The stadium had only been finished a few days before and when I tried to get my hands off they were stuck, just to compound my misery. met my mates after I got back to scotland who had chosen the sweden game instead

:sadrobbo:

I went to the three group games. I spent 2 weeks in an Italian beach resort called Alassio about 30 miles west of Genoa. My colleagues were a good friend from Aberdeen who ended up as a football producer for Sky, Roger Mitchell who ended up as I think CEO for the SPL and a joiner from Partick.

We had a great beach holiday with the bonus (??) of getting to watch Scotland V Costa Rica, Sweden and Brazil. Happy times. 
Meanwhile back in February in Perthshire…..🥶

scott herbertson
10 minutes ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

I went to the three group games. I spent 2 weeks in an Italian beach resort called Alassio about 30 miles west of Genoa. My colleagues were a good friend from Aberdeen who ended up as a football producer for Sky, Roger Mitchell who ended up as I think CEO for the SPL and a joiner from Partick.

We had a great beach holiday with the bonus (??) of getting to watch Scotland V Costa Rica, Sweden and Brazil. Happy times. 
Meanwhile back in February in Perthshire…..🥶

It was the only European based world cup that I missed a game after 1974 (for domestic reasons) . Gutted I missed one of the few games we won in 1982 1990 and 199O. As you are, i am nowfreezing in Perthshire - thinking of that beach in Spain in 1982, the brazilian sambas etc

Reading that interview, and I have a question: did Hearts have a translator early on for Vargas? Or would Naismith by virtue of being in so many multicultural teams picked up some of the language?

I know on my side of the Atlantic you would be hard pressed to find a locker room in organized soccer/football where the coaching staff didn't have Spanish speakers along with many players with some Spanish speaking ability. And any professional league would be stocked with Spanish speakers and many players from Spanish speaking nations. Looking at Hearts, I can't see a player who spent time in Spain.

In a Scottish dressing room, is Spanish really prevalent? I am guessing many of them have some Spanish just from trips and learning it in school, but that isn't the level you'd need to integrate in the early days a player who doesn't speak English.

Not a difficult matter and Hearts have certainly integrated players with language more complicated than Spanish. Just curious.

King prawn
2 minutes ago, Smithian said:

Reading that interview, and I have a question: did Hearts have a translator early on for Vargas? Or would Naismith by virtue of being in so many multicultural teams picked up some of the language?

I know on my side of the Atlantic you would be hard pressed to find a locker room in organized soccer/football where the coaching staff didn't have Spanish speakers along with many players with some Spanish speaking ability. And any professional league would be stocked with Spanish speakers and many players from Spanish speaking nations. Looking at Hearts, I can't see a player who spent time in Spain.

In a Scottish dressing room, is Spanish really prevalent? I am guessing many of them have some Spanish just from trips and learning it in school, but that isn't the level you'd need to integrate in the early days a player who doesn't speak English.

Not a difficult matter and Hearts have certainly integrated players with language more complicated than Spanish. Just curious.

Lucky enough for him he’s got Eva Olid around the club to help teach him :lol: 

He also has an English teacher for sure -  it was posted on here from one of his social media accounts 

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, Smithian said:

Assistant manager Gordon Forrest spent 6 years at Vancouver Whitecaps, so could be a case that he picked up some Spanish to work with players (I know its Canada but would still imagine they still get quite a few Spanish speaking players.) Can imagine there are some people at Hearts who have some limited Spanish (obviously there is Eva who is an exception but I doubt she would be spending much time translating for a mens player.)

Good interview and nice to hear him speak. Sounds like it has been a good link up with the club and Hearts Standard. Fascinating that they got in a Scottish journalist who speaks Spanish, as much as I like to see how Vargas gets speaking English, you get more information when feels free to speak in his natural language. Would love to see if they could do the same with Oda and Tagawa and have a journalist who speaks Japanese interview them as it would be interesting to hear from them, I do think it can help get fans more on their side when they know a bit more about them.

8 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Kenneth himself may have tipped us off on a few gems

Here’s hoping.