Kenneth Vargas ( merged )

HeartsandonlyHearts

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Much prefer Oda. 

Oda is decent but not better than Vargas. 

Both are young so things could change quickly but right now Vargas for me.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Bazzas right boot

• Chimp

• FarmerTweedy

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Looked to me like Shanks was screaming "hit it" at Vargas. 

I thought the same.

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Better wide player. More consistent. 

Vargas isn’t a wide player though, eve just played him out of position a fair bit. Even being played out of position I think he’s better. 

boag1874
4 hours ago, innerjambo said:

I hope a deal is announced soon, and there are no issues with an extended stay for him. I know we have the option to sign, and have said we want to keep him, but I thought it would have been done and dusted by now. Unless of course the club are deliberately waiting until the end of the season. I just hope there are no complications, but both parties would still have to agree a permanent deal and contract. Also there is the issue of his wife and his little boy being in Costa Rica, and how easily it would be to bring them over, if prepared to move.

These things are normally formally confirmed at the end of the season.

Everything is already pre-agreed as part of the loan arrangement, fee, contract etc. That’s how these loan deals work with an option to buy, all we have to do is formally trigger it which will be done at the end of the loan deal.

jr ewing

Oda does his share defending. Vargas not so much. Probably better asking whoever is playing behind him. 

Jim_Duncan
23 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Oda does his share defending. Vargas not so much. Probably better asking whoever is playing behind him. 

Nonsense. 

johnking123
36 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Both different type of players

Jim_Duncan
12 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Watch the Hibs game again. 

Pass. I’ll take my completely subjective and now entrenched view over yours. 

Threedoorsdown
5 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Much prefer Oda. 

Must be a troll 😂

Heart of Darkness
1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I thought the same.

Said the same to my son. 😃

jr ewing
3 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Must be a troll 😂

No, definitely Japanese. 

boag1874
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

He’s a forward

I reckon he's worthy...

rjuBSjE.gif

Edited by Gizmo

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Watch the Hibs game again. 

That’s 1 game. Meanwhile the facts of who’s the more effective attacker:

Yutaro Oda 36 appearances 4 goals 0 (zero) assists 

Vargas 33 appearances 7 goals 3 assists 

18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That’s 1 game. Meanwhile the facts of who’s the more effective attacker:

Yutaro Oda 36 appearances 4 goals 0 (zero) assists 

Vargas 33 appearances 7 goals 3 assists 

I prefer Vargas at the moment, but it's worth pointing out he's played 450 minutes (equivalent to 5 full games) more than Oda despite having fewer appearances.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I prefer Vargas at the moment, but it's worth pointing out he's played 450 minutes (equivalent to 5 full games) more than Oda despite having fewer appearances.

Yes but there was nothing from Vargas in his first 10-15 games. So he has had 10 goal contributions, inside the last 20 appearances. He is rising to the challenge. His form is an arc of improvement. Whereas Oda is an inconsistent scattering here and there. 

Oda atm has not done anything on a consistent basis. Whereas Vargas, goalscorer in every round of the Scottish Cup so far, is actually within his grasp to become a Hearts legend if he scores in 2 more SC wins… unfortunately the standard of opposition is about to go up slightly from Morton Airdrie and Spartans ! 

Cambo_Jambo

I think we might be setting up our team for a post Shankland world and a change in how we play up front.

If you take out Shankland (I think we have to presume he's on his way in the summer) and have a front line of Forrest, Vargas and Oda with a hopefully settled Tagawa, we've got a very, very fast breaking forward line.

My concern would be that against teams that sit in, we might struggle to have enough guile there to unlock a stuffy defence but with those 3 fliers involved, you can see a route to being a very very fast group to hit people on the counter.

spacerjoe
12 minutes ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

I think we might be setting up our team for a post Shankland world and a change in how we play up front.

If you take out Shankland (I think we have to presume he's on his way in the summer) and have a front line of Forrest, Vargas and Oda with a hopefully settled Tagawa, we've got a very, very fast breaking forward line.

My concern would be that against teams that sit in, we might struggle to have enough guile there to unlock a stuffy defence but with those 3 fliers involved, you can see a route to being a very very fast group to hit people on the counter.

Dhanda, McKay and even Boyce (should ever get fit) can play that link up role.

Cambo_Jambo
1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Dhanda, McKay and even Boyce (should ever get fit) can play that link up role.

Absolutely. With Dhanda being a bit of an unknown and both McKay and Boyce being long term injured, I didn't want to hang my hat on them but you're right that hopefully they, plus maybe another more technically gifted midfielder if Beni goes, would be enough to give us somebody that can find a killer pass or two.

feedtheroman2

It's probably been mentioned already but.. 

What is with Vargas's finishing? With the exception of the goal the other night, he can be a very frustrating player to watch when he's in positions where the ball should be going in the back of the net!

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

Absolutely. With Dhanda being a bit of an unknown and both McKay and Boyce being long term injured, I didn't want to hang my hat on them but you're right that hopefully they, plus maybe another more technically gifted midfielder if Beni goes, would be enough to give us somebody that can find a killer pass or two.

How can Dhanda be an unknown? He was going to be our linchpin player after he scored against us at Xmas/New Year. 

Cambo_Jambo
32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How can Dhanda be an unknown? He was going to be our linchpin player after he scored against us at Xmas/New Year. 

Hahaha. You're right. I forgot that he's immediately going to take us to the moon.

TheBigO
1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

I like Vargas and Oda

Woah there horsey!!! You pick.  You pick right now!

Victorian
36 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

What is with Vargas's finishing? With the exception of the goal the other night, he can be a very frustrating player to watch when he's in positions where the ball should be going in the back of the net!

Naismith talked about it post-match.  He's already past the initial expectations they had for him.  He's aware that his finishing is a work in progress and will improve with games and experience.

jamboinglasgow

I like Vargas and Oda

Is the right answer. Its annoying that we have to criticise one Hearts player to praise another.

luckyBatistuta

I like Vargas and Oda

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Is the right answer. It’s annoying that we have to criticise one Hearts player to praise another.

This happens a lot on here, both good players for us

johnking123

Oda is more of winger, Who is asked to play as a inverted winger/Inside forward sometimes. Vargas is an inside forward/ centre forward asked to play on wing some times.  

AllyjamboDerbyshire
54 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

I always find the best defence of a striker when anyone says this is to quote the title of Malcom MacDonald's autobiography - 'Never Afraid To Miss'. And Kenneth Vargas clearly buys into this (though probably unaware of it) because he misses chances but keeps coming back for more (like Monday night). Notice his smile after that bad miss - he knows another chance will come his way and if he gets enough of them, he'll score. Lots of strikers, after a miss like Vargas', would have held themselves back at the 18 yard line, where, if the ball came to him, he could take a potshot that no one would blame him for putting wide, rather than to bust a gut to get alongside Shankland to pick up any scraps, and he did that brilliantly.

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I always find the best defence of a striker when anyone says this is to quote the title of Malcom MacDonald's autobiography - 'Never Afraid To Miss'. And Kenneth Vargas clearly buys into this (though probably unaware of it) because he misses chances but keeps coming back for more (like Monday night). Notice his smile after that bad miss - he knows another chance will come his way and if he gets enough of them, he'll score. Lots of strikers, after a miss like Vargas', would have held themselves back at the 18 yard line, where, if the ball came to him, he could take a potshot that no one would blame him for putting wide, rather than to bust a gut to get alongside Shankland to pick up any scraps, and he did that brilliantly.

its like what they said about Andrew "Andy" Cole, that he would get 10 chances in a game, miss 9 but score 1. Which sounds like awful finishing, but the difference is that he was getting him into positions to get those chances, something others wouldn't be able to. So even if you miss them you still get the one to score. 

The Goalscoring Knee
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

its like what they said about Andrew "Andy" Cole, that he would get 10 chances in a game, miss 9 but score 1. Which sounds like awful finishing, but the difference is that he was getting him into positions to get those chances, something others wouldn't be able to. So even if you miss them you still get the one to score

Very similar to what Lineker said about making and timing runs to the back post. 98 times out of 100 the ball never reaches you, but the two other times it's a tap-in.

The Goalscoring Knee
34 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Notice his smile after that bad miss - he knows another chance will come his way and if he gets enough of them, he'll score.

Funny, I see his smile as more of an automatic nervous reaction, rather than him just laughing it off. I know I used to to it as a wee laddie when I got a bit overwhelmed by stuff. Hopefully the more composed he gets, the less we'll see of the smile!

FoH forever

Some of his misses this season look to have been a case of him trying to smash everything so can only see him improving as he develops his composure as he is very good at getting into and creating space for himself. 

Take the one before his goal on Monday night, imo it needed to be guided as he was going to strike it. As it looks like he was going for power, inevitably it's going to rise but isn't helped by a bobble whereas if he chooses to place it, scores. 

Taking into account Naismith's comments have been with the sense he's ahead of schedule, that there's still a lot to come to what we've seen already, could be a very important player for us in the next few years.

2 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Are you just going to conveniently forget his really good finishing too?

Even strikers at the top level miss chances, it happens.

PapaShango

His finishing can be erratic but he has scored some lovely finishes, away to Livi and home to Motherwell & Ross County spring to mind. He does look to absolutely blooter the backside out the ball at times though when more composure is needed. This will come though and I would love him to be signed permanently. 

His finishing will come good. He has a superb strike on him - real power in it. He also gets into good positions. 

Imagine how much more settled he will be next season.

29 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Wee Kenny has been absolutely class.

He really has been the last while. Genuinely think he's got the attributes to go far in the game. 4 or 5 year deal would be lovely.

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes but there was nothing from Vargas in his first 10-15 games. So he has had 10 goal contributions, inside the last 20 appearances. He is rising to the challenge. His form is an arc of improvement. Whereas Oda is an inconsistent scattering here and there. 

Oda atm has not done anything on a consistent basis. Whereas Vargas, goalscorer in every round of the Scottish Cup so far, is actually within his grasp to become a Hearts legend if he scores in 2 more SC wins… unfortunately the standard of opposition is about to go up slightly from Morton Airdrie and Spartans ! 

Both players scored their first goal on their 14th appearance for the club so I'm not sure about your first paragraph.

Oda has a total of 4 Premiership goals from a total of 1,321 minutes and Vargas has 4 from a total of 1,319 minutes.

Like I say, I probably prefer Vargas as a player but their records are very similar rather than being the clear cut difference implied by the stats you gave earlier.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
4 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Funny, I see his smile as more of an automatic nervous reaction, rather than him just laughing it off. I know I used to to it as a wee laddie when I got a bit overwhelmed by stuff. Hopefully the more composed he gets, the less we'll see of the smile!

I know what you mean but his body language was pretty much shrugging it off (in a positive fashion). Of course, inside he would be mortified, but, as I suggest, he knew more chances would come (not necessarily in that game) and he'd put some of them away. Basically, he looks like a positive player, secure in his own ability, and isn't going to hide, because he's 'never afraid to miss'.

HopeDiouf
3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

His finishing will come good. He has a superb strike on him - real power in it. He also gets into good positions. 

Imagine how much more settled he will be next season.

Yep.  And at his age, he'll come back bigger stronger and fitter next year too.  Think we'll sell him for a lot of money in a few years time.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, BigAlim said:

I like Vargas and Oda

Nope, one has to be shite for the other to be good.

Ofc, jkb rules allow for both to be shite, but both being good?

It's an interesting concept,  not sure it will catch on or even within jkb rules?

The Goalscoring Knee
4 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Basically, he looks like a positive player, secure in his own ability, and isn't going to hide, because he's 'never afraid to miss'.

Agree. Plays the game in the right frame of mind. Hopefully he'll go far with us.

Spellczech
On 12/03/2024 at 19:41, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Oda is decent but not better than Vargas. 

Both are young so things could change quickly but right now Vargas for me.

I regard one as a striker and one as a winger...