Training Ground plans

jamboinglasgow

fabienleclerq
7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Are darts and snooker better marketed?

Until the novelty of Fallon Sherrock and Luke Littler I'd never watched a darts match and probably won't again. I couldn't tell you any other players other than Littler played another Luke.

As for snooker, outside of Ronnie O'Sullivan and some old timers...not a clue on any of them and haven't watched it in decades.

They don't strike me as 'sports' rolling in dosh.

Darts gets some of the highest viewing numbers on sky sports, iirc it was second behind football.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTT

• Fozzyonthefence

• Sooks

• Chuck Berry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob Loblaw

Barry Hearn took darts from a place where it was televised pretty much once a year in front of a few hundred folk to selling out arenas all over the world. People paying ticket money for an event where they can't even see the darts with the naked eye. It's marketed brilliantly.

FarmerTweedy
24 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Was there not a statement at the AGM that we have it in writing the benefactor commitment is long term?

I do seem to remember that, yes, although I suppose it didn't state they'd stay at the same level!

Armageddon

Investing in the playing side? Interesting.

Shanks extension would be the biggest signing in my lifetime (no, I’m not 8). Then followed by a Naismith extension.

Will be interesting to see the comings

and goings over the next 12 months.

Halkett seems to be fragile 🥹

The right side isn’t complete or settled on a lengthy deal.

Cochrane chat about a bid.

Few others stalling, but for once we have some youth on the scene.

Nookie Bear
10 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Students are usually pissed, comatose or wacky baccied out to escape quickly

Ahhh I miss those days 😔

AlimOzturk
17 hours ago, Taffin said:

Are darts and snooker better marketed?

Until the novelty of Fallon Sherrock and Luke Littler I'd never watched a darts match and probably won't again. I couldn't tell you any other players other than Littler played another Luke.

As for snooker, outside of Ronnie O'Sullivan and some old timers...not a clue on any of them and haven't watched it in decades.

They don't strike me as 'sports' rolling in dosh.

Darts and snooker were struggling big style until Hearn took over. Darts in particular is huge. 

10 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Darts gets some of the highest viewing numbers on sky sports, iirc it was second behind football.

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that - what do Sky pay to show it? Presuming based on the above it's more than they pay for golf, F1 etc

Edited by Taffin

46 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Darts and snooker were struggling big style until Hearn took over. Darts in particular is huge. 

I must be living in my own dart free bubble 😂

I take it back, although I'm still sceptical. 

fabienleclerq
37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that - what do Sky pay to show it? Presuming based on the above it's more than they pay for golf, F1 etc

No idea the numbers but I'd imagine its a fraction! Probably more competition for the other sports but the viewing figures for darts was only beaten by football I think.

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

No idea the numbers but I'd imagine its a fraction! Probably more competition for the other sports but the viewing figures for darts was only beaten by football I think.

So, not exactly maximizing the commercial appeal of the product.

I'm not arguing folk don't like darts just because I don't (actually I'm more ambivalent, it's a fun pass time and I like flight club).

I'm saying there's not much money in the game. It's clearly more popular than I thought though...but if that doesn't translate into revenue then I'd say they've exactly the same issue and I wouldn't be championing their administrators to solve our problems.

12 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Barry Hearn took darts from a place where it was televised pretty much once a year in front of a few hundred folk to selling out arenas all over the world. People paying ticket money for an event where they can't even see the darts with the naked eye. It's marketed brilliantly.

The general point about needing to market the other clubs better and focus more efforts in lifting up the non-OF clubs is a really solid point he made too. 

The OF do sell themselves (and certainly don't need extra help doing so), and I think Scottish football does itself a disservice by only seekling to promote those 2 clubs.