***Official Heart of Midlothian vs **** The Well Match Thread***

Bongo 1874

FoH forever
9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Further up into what position though? If it was a 4 at the back where would you be having him?

Thought it was obvious with swapping Grant out but will put it differently:

4-3-2-1, almost 3-5-2 when attacking with full backs pushing up, especially if Motherwell only playing 1 up top

Gordon or Clark

(prefer Gordon but I get not dropping Clark)

Natty, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley

Niewenhoff, Beni, Cochrane

Vargas, Forrest

Shanks

Edited by FoH forever
Clarification.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

• HeartsandonlyHearts

4 minutes ago, FoH forever said:

Thought it was obvious with swapping Grant out but will put it differently:

4-3-2-1, almost 3-5-2 when attacking with full backs pushing up, especially if Motherwell only playing 1 up top

Gordon or Clark

(prefer Gordon but I get not dropping Clark)

Natty, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley

Niewenhoff, Beni, Cochrane

Vargas, Forrest

Shanks

Can't see Naismith going for that but if that was to be our setup it looks decent enough to me. I do think Kingsley is a better LB when we play a back 4 tbh.

Jack Torrance

They have Scotland's number 4 in goals so I'm expecting a tough game.

I'll go 4-0 to The Hearts.

Edited by Jack Torrance

Midloth_Iain

Motherwell looked good when hitting on the break last night.

They are vulnerable in defence but their left wing back Georgie Gent is a talent and will need to be watched closely. His deliveries from wide are dangerous.

Skacelsid

On last nights evidence Well will sit in and counterattack like most others coming to Tynie, the best way to deal with this is an early goal. We have seemed to start games on the front foot better recently rather than the cautious keep ball. We now have a much stronger bench than most and the starting players can go for it early and give everything for an hour or so and can be replaced by quality to finish teams off.

Thought Police
On 13/02/2024 at 14:43, Jack Torrance said:

Scotland's number 4

Looking forward to this chant!

Jack Torrance
50 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Looking forward to this chant!

Make it happen!

:yas:

Clark

Natty

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Beni

Hoff

Vargas

Grant

Forrest

Shanks

David McCaig

4-3-3

Gordon

Dexter

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Hoff

Fraser

Forrest

Shanks

Vargas

12 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Clark

Natty

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Beni

Hoff

Vargas

Grant

Forrest

Shanks

Decent line up, but no Cochrane?

Pans Jambo

Full expecting Hearts to be on '51' points at 4:45pm on Saturday (or likely 5:00 PM after all the additional extra time).

On 12/02/2024 at 09:27, LarrysRightFoot said:

We took Ross County lightly IMO, let’s not do it again Motherwell. A good/fast start would be nice. 

Tbh the way we play I don't think a fast start matters that much to us. We're doing the opposite to Burley at the minute in that we're absolutely blowing tiring teams away for the last 35 or so minutes of games right now rather than coming flying out the traps and catching them cold. Celtic/Rangers have done it all the time down the years against the stuffy teams. I think we're quite content to let teams tire themselves out at the moment with the confidence that they'll crumble once we ramp the pressure up in the second half.

27 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Decent line up, but no Cochrane?

Really tough choice between him and Kingsley. Would be happy with either, just do t think we should shoehorn both in 👍

Just now, Swanny17 said:

Really tough choice between him and Kingsley. Would be happy with either, just do t think we should shoehorn both in 👍

Fair point. I actually do think Kingsley is a better LB but it's a good headache to have. We've certainly seen what shoehorning has done in the past

John Findlay

No slacking, on the ball from the first to the last whistle. Get the Three points and we are one step closer to getting European football.

LarrysRightFoot
38 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Tbh the way we play I don't think a fast start matters that much to us. We're doing the opposite to Burley at the minute in that we're absolutely blowing tiring teams away for the last 35 or so minutes of games right now rather than coming flying out the traps and catching them cold. Celtic/Rangers have done it all the time down the years against the stuffy teams. I think we're quite content to let teams tire themselves out at the moment with the confidence that they'll crumble once we ramp the pressure up in the second half.

Coming from behind isn’t sustainable though. I’d love us to be 2 up after 20 mins and let the opposition knacker themselves trying get back into the game and then we could hopefully pick them off further in the last 20 mins. 

Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

Coming from behind isn’t sustainable though. I’d love us to be 2 up after 20 mins and let the opposition knacker themselves trying get back into the game and then we could hopefully pick them off further in the last 20 mins. 

It's not necessarily coming from behind I mean tbh, that's something we need to sort because as you said it isn't sustainable & hopefully getting Rowles back in will change this.

More just I don't think the "fast start" is the massive factor it's built up to be for us. It'd be nice but if we don't fly out the traps and score early then it's no big deal, we can afford to be patient early on. If it's 0-0, a narrow 1-0 lead etc at half time then chances are we're going to win and win comfortably in the end.

Outwith that crazy start to the game I thought Motherwell looked poor. If we play to our usual standards we win this. 

karipidis
27 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

It's not necessarily coming from behind I mean tbh, that's something we need to sort because as you said it isn't sustainable & hopefully getting Rowles back in will change this.

More just I don't think the "fast start" is the massive factor it's built up to be for us. It'd be nice but if we don't fly out the traps and score early then it's no big deal, we can afford to be patient early on. If it's 0-0, a narrow 1-0 lead etc at half time then chances are we're going to win and win comfortably in the end.

I think the "fast start" thing is overused and a bit unrealistic, yes we did it for a 9-10 game period 18 years ago but its much more difficult to play like this every week these days. Teams are so well drilled and fit that you are unlikely to steamroll teams every week, the Old Firm don't really tend to do it as often as they used to. 

upgotheheads
30 minutes ago, Homme said:

Outwith that crazy start to the game I thought Motherwell looked poor. If we play to our usual standards we win this. 

I thought it was a cracking game, with both teams playing very good football in spells. The problem is they didn't both play well at the same time, hence the crazy scoring.

Fairly confident about this one. What a turn around from earlier in the season where I was saying it was a chore to attend matches. 

I think we will win 2-0 Shankland and Vargas on the sheet. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hope we are practicing front post corners, they have had a nightmare with these, last 2 games. Fancy something ridiculous Saturday like 5-2

pettigrewsstylist

Bair in rich vein of form Going to need energetic DMs and  robust CBs this week.

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

I think the "fast start" thing is overused and a bit unrealistic, yes we did it for a 9-10 game period 18 years ago but its much more difficult to play like this every week these days. Teams are so well drilled and fit that you are unlikely to steamroll teams every week, the Old Firm don't really tend to do it as often as they used to. 

Is it unrealistic for us to be leading at half time? 

Teams seem to manage start well against us. 

I know it won’t happen every game, however, I think we need to have more control of the game from the start. Naismith keeps saying similar. 

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Looked very sketchy at the back last night. 

3 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Fair point. I actually do think Kingsley is a better LB but it's a good headache to have. We've certainly seen what shoehorning has done in the past

Cochrane has been one of our best-attacking outlets. He has to start.

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Cochrane has been one of our best-attacking outlets. He has to start.

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't. I previously posted what lineup I'd go for and Cochrane is in it. 

Ex member of the SaS

We are playing well and apart from the slow starts and a lot of wasted passes, we should walk this. We started quicker against Ross co and it showed. Get the ball ( and players )) moving and we can give even the bigots a game.

We won't win every game but play at our best and there is no reason why we can't win 99% of the remaining games ( that includes the bigot twins ) 

Cut The Crap
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

So that's now 

DLWDDWD this year for Motherwell 

Decent enough, but I think we are 

WWWWWWW

So nothing to fear really?

Edited by Cut The Crap

After murderwell chucked it v the sheep 🐑 I expect a tight game against a more defence minded Motherwell side. Prediction: 2-1. Shanks and Forrest to score. 

karipidis
5 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Is it unrealistic for us to be leading at half time? 

Teams seem to manage start well against us. 

I know it won’t happen every game, however, I think we need to have more control of the game from the start. Naismith keeps saying similar. 

I agree that we are not performing as well first half and I am sure it something Naismith is working hard at, however I think it’s unrealistic just to expect us to go out and steamroll teams. We started well against Airdire, and I actually thought we started well against Dundee away, so hopefully we see the same on Saturday. 

After watching that amateur kick and rush shitfest at the dungheap last night, we should be scudding them to nil.

At least 3 zip to Heart of Midlothian FC.

Gundermann
6 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Hope we are practicing front post corners, they have had a nightmare with these, last 2 games. Fancy something ridiculous Saturday like 5-2

Practising corners is sorely needed. They're generally horrific. 

upgotheheads
11 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I agree that we are not performing as well first half and I am sure it something Naismith is working hard at, however I think it’s unrealistic just to expect us to go out and steamroll teams. We started well against Airdire, and I actually thought we started well against Dundee away, so hopefully we see the same on Saturday. 

Why won't some people accept that while we are a good side, most of the other teams in the League are not mugs? They know how we play and managers know how to set up to stop us. There are a lot of decent players out there too.

tiger Rudi

Gordon/Clark??? 

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Forrest   Hoff   Beni  Cochrane

Shankland    Vargas

karipidis
18 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Why won't some people accept that while we are a good side, most of the other teams in the League are not mugs? They know how we play and managers know how to set up to stop us. There are a lot of decent players out there too.

Completely agree. TBH if this is the worst people can complain about then we are clearly in a good place 😊

13 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Rowles gives me the fear in a back 4.

Wow. Rowles has been consistently excellent.

TexasAndy

I never want to feel over confident going in to any game but we are in a good place and should win this.  We are there to be shot down and every team in SPL is capable of coming to Tynecastle and getting a result if the stars align for them on the day.  I like how we are handling that pressure thus far.  2-0 Hearts.

Bunny Munro
4 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Wow. Rowles has been consistently excellent.

Since moving to a back 3 IMO, he was really poor in the first few months of the season playing in the 4.

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Since moving to a back 3 IMO, he was really poor in the first few months of the season playing in the 4.

And yet he's a rock for Australia in a 4...

Bunny Munro
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And yet he's a rock for Australia in a 4...

That's fair. Maybe it's a Scottish football thing?

LeylandJambo

We only seem to start playing once we've gone behind so it would be nice to start a game quickly and get 1 or 2 early goals for a change.

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

We only seem to start playing once we've gone behind so it would be nice to start a game quickly and get 1 or 2 early goals for a change.

Like the last game??

upgotheheads
14 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Gordon/Clark??? 

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Forrest   Hoff   Beni  Cochrane

Shankland    Vargas

I would call that our best starting 11. I think Clark will start in goal for a few weeks, and when third place is assured a rotation will start, but SN will announce it beforehand.

Having Lembikisa, Grant, Oda, Devlin, Denholm, Pollock, and Tait on the bench gives me a good feeling too. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Tait especially. I would also add Tagawa because I think there's a player in there.

Edited by upgotheheads

Ex member of the SaS

Slow start and the fans get disgruntled, the players feel the atmosphere and it makes the game harder. Start quickly on the front foot the fans get off their seats and the players get a lift. Slow negative start harms more than a quick start so why do the players not change how we start? If the manager is at them for it then they should he listening to him.

Retaining possession is all well and good but when we get closed down they tend to panic and hoof the ball rather than a measured pass.