*** Official St Johnstone v Hearts Match Thread ***

mickycameron98

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Indeed. He must be a nightmare to defend against because anywhere on the pitch from about 30 yards in he is capable of putting the ball in the net out of nothing. 

Obviously he is a huge asset to Hearts but we have also been really good for him. His game has either gone up a couple of levels since he joined us or else playing for us has given him the confidence to unlock what he always had inside him. Either way it's been a relationship that has been hugely beneficial to both the player and the club.

Possibly playing for a manager that was a brilliant striker himself is helping also on the training ground. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• HeartsandonlyHearts

Section Q
1 hour ago, DesertDawg said:

Nieuwenhof had a good game/  Fraser looked like a League 1 player with the game passing him by, similar to many of Grant's games.  And, yes, Shankland's goal was what we now expect!

Grant and Fraser are similarly unexciting footballers, and I agree about Lg 1 standard.

I think Naisy was extra cautious about this one. If Devlin's back to his best, and even Haring finds his form, then there's no room for these guys. Nice to see Hoff finding his rhythm.

gregzy2k7
8 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

He’s one of a kind. The best we’ve seen since Robbo. If he stays for any real length of time, he’ll smash every record we have. He’s sensational. 

Here’s to the next 50! ♥️

3c916b41-3696-425f-8b99-e04b08ec1cb2.jpeg

Love that.

Would be absolutely magical if he stayed.

This is My Story Podcast
Just now, gregzy2k7 said:

Love that.

Would be absolutely magical if he stayed.

We have to try burst the bank for him and beg him to stay. He’s scored 50 goals for Hearts in a little over a season and a half. It’s actually mind blowing how many goals he’s scored! 

10 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

He’s one of a kind. The best we’ve seen since Robbo. If he stays for any real length of time, he’ll smash every record we have. He’s sensational. 

Here’s to the next 50! ♥️

3c916b41-3696-425f-8b99-e04b08ec1cb2.jpeg

He is unreal.

I'd love him to, but the reality is he's not even hit a 1/4 of Robbo's league goal tally for us yet. That record is safe.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but was watching tonight with the Saints TV commentary. Bitter as **** and sounded like they were holding back tears whilst trying to berate us as an average team, not just tonight but all season apparently 🤣

Dr Ian Malcolm
11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Grant and Fraser are similarly unexciting footballers, and I agree about Lg 1 standard.

I think Naisy was extra cautious about this one. If Devlin's back to his best, and even Haring finds his form, then there's no room for these guys. Nice to see Hoff finding his rhythm.

Fraser has played less than two full games. He’s not match fit and needs a chance to get up to speed.

Thought we kept the ball better when Grant came on. We usually do. Of the four you mentioned, Haring and Devlin will play the least.

This is My Story Podcast
3 minutes ago, RS86 said:

He is unreal.

I'd love him to, but the reality is he's not even hit a 1/4 of Robbo's league goal tally for us yet. That record is safe.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but was watching tonight with the Saints TV commentary. Bitter as **** and sounded like they were holding back tears whilst trying to berate us as an average team, not just tonight but all season apparently 🤣

Robbo played 17 years for Hearts. Shankland has been here a season and a half. If Shankland scored at his current rate and stayed till he was 35……….hahaha I get your point and you are correct I don’t seriously think the goal scoring record is in sight but it’s just proper amazing to have someone that we can even talk about potentially getting there. It’s such an amazing feeling knowing we have him and knowing he’s more than likely going to score. Something we haven’t had since Robbo. 

tiger Rudi
12 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I imagine Fraser's loan worked out cheaper than paying money to bring in Dhanda in January. Can't really see us paying big money for Fraser when Dhanda arrives in the summer. Fraser will still have a season left to run on his contract in the summer, don't think he will be cheap. 

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Ffs, he's just arrived.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, RS86 said:

He is unreal.

Spot on.
Had ours first half but theirs second, we dominated every game against them but they’re not impressed 😆

10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ffs, he's just arrived.

My thoughts exactly.

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Calem Nieuwenhof should take a bow, never put a foot wrong all game. 

yup. mom for me

GorgieFifeLife

Fraser not even got his boxes unpacked yet and he is getting written off already by some🤦🏻.

number-16
11 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Fraser not even got his boxes unpacked yet and he is getting written off already by some🤦🏻.

They need someone to moan about now that Halliday has gone out on loan...

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Not sure the team will be reading my comments. But just in case come on the lads!

Zero shots and zero of course on target  in first quarter, Against one of the worse teams in the league.

Celtc  1 up v Hibs.

On our best run in 10 years. You are having a go. Absolute loser, beat it.

Just home. Can't reiterate how good a team we are. Controlled from the first minute, patient and hard working. Great ball from Kent I think for the goal but that was sheer class from out main man. Not read through this thread yet but I'd doubt I can add anything to what would have been said about Shanks but honestly lids I had a good view of that and his touch, awareness and control in that situation was levels above what we can realistically expect, outrageous finish. Deserving of winning any game. Next....

2 hours ago, Section Q said:

2 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Fraser has played less than two full games. He’s not match fit and needs a chance to get up to speed.

Thought we kept the ball better when Grant came on. We usually do. Of the four you mentioned, Haring and Devlin will play the least.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ffs, he's just arrived.

2 hours ago, Jam-Tart said:

My thoughts exactly.

The mind has been made up and the narrative has been set and will be doubled down if required….

Bongo 1874
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Once again we look better with a pacy striker up beside Shankland, especially against Considune and McGowan. 

A thing of beauty snapped away from us 😔 hopefully one day we can retain these players,glad these players are now showing what they are capable of,been called deluded because i wanted better,I believe we can mount a challenge i really do,my message to the board? can we help anymore,pushing towards this goal.

Gordon not playing, Halkett not fully fit, Mckay injured along with others,and we are still going strong.

Almost in tears writing this mate,but i think we have got our Hearts back.

What it means to play for Hearts,Pride,Passion, Desire,100% commitment to the badge and shirt.

FB_IMG_1684627579196.jpg

FB_IMG_1684627586202.jpg

Edited by Bongo 1874

Section Q
4 hours ago, jbee647 said:

The mind has been made up and the narrative has been set and will be doubled down if required….

👍👍

Shanks will get the plaudits as he should but Kent, Kingsley and Calum were all immense last night. 

Calum and Beni really starting to click the last few games.

Jambo in Bathgate
8 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Typical it’s the on here write off a player after one game. His first start in months. 

cannonfoda
8 hours ago, RS86 said:

He is unreal.

I thought their comments were spot on tbh.  Without Shankland we're nowhere near 3rd but he's gold standard.  They mentioned he had to be a starter in Germany as well.   

Jambo in Bathgate
7 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

I thought their comments were spot on tbh.  Without Shankland we're nowhere near 3rd but he's gold standard.  They mentioned he had to be a starter in Germany as well.   

Football is a team game. As Naismith said last night. The argument could be countered by Aberdeen they have an excellent striker but where are they in the league! 

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Just watched the Vargas offside again.  How the **** is that off?

:rofl:

Desperation from the officials to avoid a red card scenario. Definitely got to question why the linesman put his flag up as it’s clearly a guess. 

13EBDDB2-466C-462B-8C23-ADC804BC8C12.jpeg

cannonfoda
8 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:
18 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Football is a team game. As Naismith said last night. The argument could be countered by Aberdeen they have an excellent striker but where are they in the league! 

True.  But remove his goals and we'd be middle to bottom of table.  Anyway, I'm enjoying it whilst we have him - surprised no clubs from England take a punt, yes he's not the fastest but speed of thought and finishing is top drawer. 

Last night was as comfortable a 1 nil I've seen in years.

Victorian
2 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Desperation from the officials to avoid a red card scenario. Definitely got to question why the linesman put his flag up as it’s clearly a guess. 

The line is dubious.  But look at the ball anaw.  :rofl:

Selkirkhmfc1874

Another fantastic 3pts , loving our away form this season! What a difference it makes to train journey home from games 

Ex member of the SaS

A far better start than we have seen recently against a typical Levein cloggers. A hard fought win and everything that needs to be said about Shanks is already in print. 

We still suffer from slow play and pointless passes and we need to see more movement from those up front/ mid field.

We don't need to score goals to show intent in the first half just get the ball moving and attack. Still slow at throw in's. Some think I was having a go at SN but this is more like how we should be playing and what I wanted from him, so well done, get the rest sorted and we will be unstoppable!

Ex member of the SaS

Not wanting to quote Victorian, ( don't need cluttered up with pics ), but look also at the linesman, a yard ahead of the line and could never know he was off.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Typical it’s the on here write off a player after one game. His first start in months. 

I too thought he had a poor game but would never jump on a player so quickly. He was touted as being something so give him a few games and IF he is still not cutting it then start threads.

Nelly Terraces

Not the best performance last night (though we were pretty much in control from start to finish) but a great 3 points & Shanks just keeps on doing the business, what a cracker that was last night - worth freezing my clangers off to witness it!

Sub4TiddlerMurray
11 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Nieuwenhof had a good game/  Fraser looked like a League 1 player with the game passing him by, similar to many of Grant's games.  And, yes, Shankland's goal was what we now expect!

Watched the game with my old man and he quipped that Newy was ‘a player and a Hoff’ 🤣

Fozzyonthefence
39 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

True.  But remove his goals and we'd be middle to bottom of table.  Anyway, I'm enjoying it whilst we have him - surprised no clubs from England take a punt, yes he's not the fastest but speed of thought and finishing is top drawer. 

Sorry but that’s complete garbage.  It’s on another thread before last night - take away his goals and we were in 4th place, just 4 points behind Killie but clear in 4th.  After last night that would still be 4th and 6 behind Killie.  

Of course it’s a pointless comparison (and I haven’t seen one about where Rangers would be without Tavernier’s goals), and assumes we’d be playing with 10 men without another striker in his place.  Someone else would play and score even a few goals which would have us in 3rd place, obviously Boyce or Vargas would be nowhere near 20 goals though. 

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Not the best performance last night (though we were pretty much in control from start to finish) but a great 3 points & Shanks just keeps on doing the business, what a cracker that was last night - worth freezing my clangers off to witness it!

To be fair that sums up most of our wins this season.  Wait until we have all our players back and click!

spirt of 98
47 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Lucky we won or this place would rightly be in meltdown over that. What did VAR not award the pen. 

Also the booking after was that for something else? 

Chillidigits
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s obviously spot on statistically but I feel we could create more for Shankland tbh. 

Hey Lawrence the guy we've got coming from dingwall will create even more chances for you . All you have to do is stick around for a bit longer.

Disser Pointon
10 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

I think Hoff has displaced Devlin, as much as I like Cammy, Hoff is a more composed version of him.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Lucky we won or this place would rightly be in meltdown over that. What did VAR not award the pen. 

Also the booking after was that for something else? 

It was a mile outside the box!  Some on here last night were saying it was his knee that was offside by a bawhair.  

They discussed this on Sportscene last night and Mikey Stewart said the ref ****ed  up - if onside it was a clear red but if offside it should have been no card as VAR can’t get involved in yellow card decisions (other than looking at upgrading one to a red).  I think he was right. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

I think Hoff has displaced Devlin, as much as I like Cammy, Hoff is a more composed version of him.

They’re two totally different players.  I’d have Devlin before Hoff and Beni plays better with Cammy (certainly used to).  If Cammy can improve in attacking areas then maybe all 3 can play in some games (like v OF), he is the closest we have to a box to midfielder but obviously lacks the finishing / composure of a Hartley or Cameron. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

A thing of beauty snapped away from us 😔 hopefully one day we can retain these players,glad these players are now showing what they are capable of,been called deluded because i wanted better,I believe we can mount a challenge i really do,my message to the board? can we help anymore,pushing towards this goal.

Gordon not playing, Halkett not fully fit, Mckay injured along with others,and we are still going strong.

Almost in tears writing this mate,but i think we have got our Hearts back.

What it means to play for Hearts,Pride,Passion, Desire,100% commitment to the badge and shirt.

FB_IMG_1684627579196.jpg

FB_IMG_1684627586202.jpg

Spot on mate 

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Hey Lawrence the guy we've got coming from dingwall will create even more chances for you . All you have to do is stick around for a bit longer.

Definitely, but I still think there’s more room with a pacy striker beside Shankland to force teams deeper if they want to squeeze up. Last night was different but we tried to let them advance when they had the ball to get them up the pitch so we could expose the two CHs lack of pace.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It was a mile outside the box!  Some on here last night were saying it was his knee that was offside by a bawhair.  

They discussed this on Sportscene last night and Mikey Stewart said the ref ****ed  up - if onside it was a clear red but if offside it should have been no card as VAR can’t get involved in yellow card decisions (other than looking at upgrading one to a red).  I think he was right. 

Just outside the box, yellow card was either for dissent or the challenge as you can’t just chop someone after a decision is made. 

May one-six
1 hour ago, cannonfoda said:

I never understand this line. Where do you start and stop with it? Remove Miovski's goals and Aberdeen are much worse off. Remove Kyogo's goals from Celtic and they would have failed to win the league last year. As someone else said, remove Tavernier's goals from Rangers and where would they be? Remove Frankie Kent from our defence and we become more vulnerable. 

Shankland is part of our team and his job is to score. This 'remove his goals' argument is very much 'If you're auntie had baws...'

RustyRightPeg
Just now, May one-six said:

I never understand this line. Where do you start and stop with it? Remove Miovski's goals and Aberdeen are much worse off. Remove Kyogo's goals from Celtic and they would have failed to win the league last year. As someone else said, remove Tavernier's goals from Rangers and where would they be? Remove Frankie Kent from our defence and we become more vulnerable. 

Shankland is part of our team and his job is to score. This 'remove his goals' argument is very much 'If you're auntie had baws...'

It's the most stupid argument ever. Remove Messi from Barca in the 10s and they won nothing. Remove Maradona from Argentina and they don't win the world cup. 

The most short sighted and I'll say it again stupid argument in football.

Mikey1874
45 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

VAR didn't decide the booking, the referee did.