*** Official St Johnstone v Hearts Match Thread ***

mickycameron98

mickycameron98

What a run of results we are on. I believe 3rd is already sealed but we can't take our foot off the gas. 2-0 Hearts

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• HeartsandonlyHearts

Jamb04life

After the collapse last season I think we’ve got to guard against complacency. Naismith seems to have instilled the correct mentality into the players though so I’d be amazed if we did throw it away. 

More of the same on Wednesday please. Will be a tough game as they look a lot more solid since Levein took charge 

Vargas for Oda

Fraser for Grant 

Halkett for Sibbick

Are the changes I’d like to see. Not sure when Natty and Rowles will be available now Australia are out 

number-16

Subject to other results, there's a chance for us to be closer to be closer to first than fourth after the game - where we want to be longer term.

Is this sold out? I've been on holiday but will be back on Tuesday, I couldn't see anything listed on our ticket site for it.

Watt-Zeefuik

Are the aussies back? Straight into tge team if so.

3-5-2 

Beni at the base if the midfield with Hoff and Scott in front of him.

Vargas and Shanks up top

19 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Are the aussies back? Straight into tge team if so.

3-5-2 

Beni at the base if the midfield with Hoff and Scott in front of him.

Vargas and Shanks up top

So you're dropping Forrest who's been one of our best players in recent games?  Personally, against this shower I'd go with a back 4 and assuming the Aussies are back that would be Frankie and Rowles as CBs with Nattie and Cochrane as FBs.  Beni, Hoff and Scott in midfield, Vargas, Forrest and Shanks up top.

The good thing about us at the moment is that we have strong options off the bench and can easily switch formation in game between a back 3 or 4 depending on how things are going. 

1 hour ago, Macros said:

Is this sold out? I've been on holiday but will be back on Tuesday, I couldn't see anything listed on our ticket site for it.

Cancel that, I forgot they are selling the tickets 

Watt-Zeefuik
24 minutes ago, RobNox said:

So you're dropping Forrest who's been one of our best players in recent games?  Personally, against this shower I'd go with a back 4 and assuming the Aussies are back that would be Frankie and Rowles as CBs with Nattie and Cochrane as FBs.  Beni, Hoff and Scott in midfield, Vargas, Forrest and Shanks up top.

The good thing about us at the moment is that we have strong options off the bench and can easily switch formation in game between a back 3 or 4 depending on how things are going. 

Heh, good point, that was a bit silly now that you mention it. I was on the phone and watching the kids after a glass of wine.

I'd still go back 3 but would probably drop either Fraser or Hoff and do a front 3. Either that, or same formation and drop Vargas for Forrest.

iantjambo
3 hours ago, RobNox said:

You dropping Dexter?

Hopefully get our act together right from kick off for once . This giving the opposition a one or two goal start carry on is not good for me 

Selkirkhmfc1874
38 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hopefully get our act together right from kick off for once . This giving the opposition a one or two goal start carry on is not good for me 

A thought we started pretty well on Saturday and were looking the more likely to score

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

A thought we started pretty well on Saturday and were looking the more likely to score

We started better but we still went behind . Starting strong and getting the first goal would help my shredded nerves a little. 

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

You dropping Dexter?

If Atkinson is ready then he starts for me. Natty a more rounded player. Bring Lembikisa off the bench against tired legs. 

Reckon the Aussies will miss this but be in contention for the cup at the weekend.

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Reckon the Aussies will miss this but be in contention for the cup at the weekend.

Cert

merseyjambo

I’d be tempted to start young Tait in this one for either Beni or Hoff.

He’s got energy and plays on the front foot and I think we’ll need to play in this one.

10 pts off second :ninja:

Focus should be on finishing as close to the OF now that we're starting to run away with third.

dannymack

For whatever happens I'm sure Naisy, Gogs and Frankie will chose the best team available to counter act Craigs team, we can sit all day and speculate the line up, I notice someone's looking at Halkett being involved but the laddie might not be fully recovered from the weekend. 

Keep the Faith ! 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

If Atkinson is ready then he starts for me. Natty a more rounded player. Bring Lembikisa off the bench against tired legs. 

There's a case for starting Dexter on the right wing, he offers more than Oda if we play a back 4.

Rather than worry too much about the team selection I'd just like us to actually turn up during the first half. The amount of games where we've been dire in the first half and then turned it around second half is ridiculous.  Let's start on fire and blow teams away rather than chasing games. I think I read somewhere that our last 14 league goals have all come in the 2nd half of games. Let's put the games away by half time and let us fans enjoy the game rather than being nervous for the whole 90 minutes.

TexasAndy

It will be no surprise that Levein will try to squeeze the life out of this game.   If we can get an earlyish goal it should be comfortable 2-0.

tartofmidlothian
7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

There's a case for starting Dexter on the right wing, he offers more than Oda if we play a back 4.

Dexter's like a Trent Alexander-Arnold for our level, much better in attack than defence. Although he's a better defender than reports suggested. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

We started better but we still went behind . Starting strong and getting the first goal would help my shredded nerves a little. 

100% buddy , getting 1st goal makes things a whole lot easier 

TexasAndy
8 minutes ago, dougal said:

Rather than worry too much about the team selection I'd just like us to actually turn up during the first half. The amount of games where we've been dire in the first half and then turned it around second half is ridiculous.  Let's start on fire and blow teams away rather than chasing games. I think I read somewhere that our last 14 league goals have all come in the 2nd half of games. Let's put the games away by half time and let us fans enjoy the game rather than being nervous for the whole 90 minutes.

I think we need to stop obsessing with the first half of games.  We were not that bad on Saturday but lost a poor goal.  What happens over the 90 Mins is what counts and we are ticking that box massively just now.  The Wales v Scotland 6 nations game showed how momentum can and often changes in second half of games.  I would always prefer to finish the game strong rather than start well and run out of steam.

We've beaten them 5 games on the bounce now after a long spell of being unable to beat them away.  Last time we beat them 6 in a row was more than 30 years ago, across 1991/92.  Now seems as good a time as any to do it again!

Not been a red card in a game between the two sides in 6 years now which seems a long time to me...might include in a little bet builder...

Shankland the only available player to have scored more than once against them for Hearts, with 4 goals across 5 games.  Hopefully some others step up to the plate! (although really don't care as long we get the 3 pts :) )

4marsbars
1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Fraser for Beni !!!!

Fed up watching him ambling round the pitch !

Just pointing out that our recent upturn in results coincided with Beni's return.

John Findlay

Forget league positions.

This will be just as tough a game as Dundee was on Saturday. We have to keep our mindset of we don't know when we are beaten, and never give up.

Regardless of your personal feelings towards Craig Levein, he will have his team set up as hard to beat.

Got a feeling this will be a score draw. I would rather a scrappy 0-1 obviously, but we have a bad habit of giving teams a lead before waking up, time to stop that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Opportunity now to show what a third force actually looks like, keep winning, 3-0 win, muscles flexed.

Surely we cannot start another game the same way. If we do go behind in the first half or start poorly something really needs to be done about it. It's not normal how dreadful we are until after HT. We've ridden our luck a fair few times and there could come a point where it runs out. We're getting the results and that's essentially all that matters but it would be nice to enjoy the full game for a change. Get a few goals earlier on in the game and have a breather. Would love to see us batter someone 4 or 5 nil so I'm not a nervous wreck right up until the final whistle!

I'm not sure its wise to immediately put Rowles and Atkinson into the team - jet lag? Hopefully Kingsley is well again, that would be huge. I think putting Oda in was a mistake. Kind of got in Dexters way. Would maybe set up like this: I'm getting really sick of the slow starts, not sure if mixing up the midfield is the best idea, but maybe bringing Denholm back into the team might put Hoff under a wee bit of pressure. Want to stick with Grant, despite not having the best game, he's shown he links well with Shanks and still put some tidy balls through for our attackers. Think its also important we keep on with Halkett. He's not going to get sharper sitting on the bench. 

Zander

Kent Halkett Kingsley

Dexter                          Cochrane

Beni Denholm

Grant

Shankland Forrest

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm not sure its wise to immediately put Rowles and Atkinson into the team - jet lag? 

It's only a 3 hour time difference. They should be fine.

iantjambo
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Fair enough.

I think Tait has earned a start over Hoff recently, gets way more involved in play.

_____________Gordon

Atkinson__Kent__Rowles__Cochrane

_____Baningime__Tait

Lembikisa__Shankland__Forrest

_____________Vargas

Gundermann
11 hours ago, Jamb04life said:

After the collapse last season I think we’ve got to guard against complacency. Naismith seems to have instilled the correct mentality into the players though so I’d be amazed if we did throw it away. 

More of the same on Wednesday please. Will be a tough game as they look a lot more solid since Levein took charge 

Vargas for Oda

Fraser for Grant 

Halkett for Sibbick

Are the changes I’d like to see. Not sure when Natty and Rowles will be available now Australia are out 

This. Can't be complacent. Injuries to key players and brainfarts could see it all go pear-shaped again.

Would like us to be ruthless.

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

I think we need to stop obsessing with the first half of games.  We were not that bad on Saturday but lost a poor goal.  What happens over the 90 Mins is what counts and we are ticking that box massively just now.  The Wales v Scotland 6 nations game showed how momentum can and often changes in second half of games.  I would always prefer to finish the game strong rather than start well and run out of steam.

We lost a poor goal no doubt. However, their keeper Carson seemed to be much more comfortable when shots were played at ground level. Think he saved from Cochrane and Forrest. 

2 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Fraser for Beni !!!!

Fed up watching him ambling round the pitch !

I really can't believe. that you would keep Hoff on and get Beni out of the team.

That certainly lives up to your name INCREDIBLE.

3 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

We lost a poor goal no doubt. However, their keeper Carson seemed to be much more comfortable when shots were played at ground level. Think he saved from Cochrane and Forrest. 

He did but neither were hit with any great power. Cochrane fell on his arse as he hit the ball and Forrest scuffed his shot.

JimmyCant
3 hours ago, Herbert. said:

He's not great at the back. 

He’s had a bit of a schooling from the best left wing back in the league. I think he’s better as a RWB with a back 3 where he’s got cover behind him, but so is Atkinson. In an attacking sense I think Limbikisa is better than Atkinson but I’d play Atkinson if we’re doing a back 4.

Also, Limbikisa looks like he could play right wing, replacing Oda. I don’t see it with Oda

Gorgie_Rules

Think this will be tough. Midweek away in Perth to a Levein side reeks of a turgid game. 

It’s got to the point we just need to get Shankland 2 or 3 clear cut chances and we’ll get something from the game.

1-1

Bazzas right boot

Bit suspect at cross balls on Saturday and St Johnstone will go direct.

Having Cochrane,  Dexter and  Sibbick in the defence does leave us weak in that area,  I think we'll need a bit more strength at the back or we might find ourselves having to score 2 or 3 to win again.

Confident we'll win tho.

55 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

It's only a 3 hour time difference. They should be fine.

Conscious that they’ve not had a break. Wonder if we’ll consider giving them some time off and have them back for Motherwell at home.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Conscious that they’ve not had a break. Wonder if we’ll consider giving them some time off and have them back for Motherwell at home.

Noticed Sammy Silvera came on for Middlesbrough yesterday. He was an unsused sub on Friday for Australia but they might've flown back quickly.