Shankland or Robbo ! Who was fortunate to see the two ???

gar jambo

Hearts_fan
37 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

He's played 78 times. And scored 49 goals. Madness. 🤯

Had he got his hat trick on Saturday,  he would have reached 50 goals on the exact same date that Robbo did (3rd Feb).

Unfortunately players in this era don't tend to stay at a club for that long. So its unlikely Shanks will be here for a comparable time to Robbo.

What I will say is Shanks goals to game ratio is incredible. And that's before you consider all other aspects of his play. 

78! A second error in my post :D 
49 in 78 is insane. A outstanding record, and as you say the other aspects of his game are also superb. The longer we can keep him the better. He’ll be such an education to the likes of Vargas.  

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• PaddysBar

• doddsyJR9

• Trigger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doddsyJR9

Without any doubt whatsoever Robbo was the ultimate forward player. A poacher of goals supreme. In a different era too, of a much more physical game. He could ghost into the penalty box and score from anywhere. Different class. Lots of great Hearts players back then though too. John Colquhoun was someone of sheer class too. A quality quick feet quick thinking player who orchestrated many an attack and goal. Great team.

Shanks is a quality finisher no doubt about it. His goals to games record is amazing. However, its difficult to compare Shanks and Robbo. Robbo wins it for me hands down, but misty eyes and a hankering for the past might weigh heavily with me. Keep the goals coming though please Shanks. I've a lot of cash riding on you doing so me old mucker.

Des Lynam
5 hours ago, gar jambo said:

I’m 58 seen both I favour shankland robbing done it for a longer period but shankland for me any foot good with the head and strong as an oxx

4 hours ago, gar jambo said:

I know  Robbie done it 10 seasons  but still think shankland more prolific and a better player

Get his ****ing name right ffs. 

Robbo all day long for me. 

Bazzas right boot

Shankland is maybe better if comparing peaks, but Robbo done it for a longer term.

Strattiesroll

Both are terrific players but there's no contest for anyone who saw both in action. Roberston was different gravy and for years and years. Anyone who says otherwise is too young to properly answer the question.

doddsyJR9
8 minutes ago, Strattiesroll said:

Both are terrific players but there's no contest for anyone who saw both in action. Roberston was different gravy and for years and years. Anyone who says otherwise is too young to properly answer the question.

Totally agree. Don't think many will disagree with you. Shanks is terrific goalscorer, but Robbo has a very special place in Hearts supporters mind and body.

PaddysBar
27 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Without any doubt whatsoever Robbo was the ultimate forward player. A poacher of goals supreme. In a different era too, of a much more physical game. He could ghost into the penalty box and score from anywhere. Different class. Lots of great Hearts players back then though too. John Colquhoun was someone of sheer class too. A quality quick feet quick thinking player who orchestrated many an attack and goal. Great team.

Shanks is a quality finisher no doubt about it. His goals to games record is amazing. However, its difficult to compare Shanks and Robbo. Robbo wins it for me hands down, but misty eyes and a hankering for the past might weigh heavily with me. Keep the goals coming though please Shanks. I've a lot of cash riding on you doing so me old mucker.

Robbo wasn’t a poacher. 

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, PaddysBar said:

No. 

Okay Paddy. I respect your opinion. I have my own one.

PaddysBar
Just now, doddsyJR9 said:

Okay Paddy. I respect your opinion. I have my own one.

Cool but you may want to look up the definition of poacher. 

doddsyJR9
Just now, PaddysBar said:

Cool but you may want to look up the definition of poacher. 

I respect your opinion. Won't take your disrespectful advice though Paddy. Thanks anyway. 

PaddysBar
1 minute ago, doddsyJR9 said:

I respect your opinion. Won't take your disrespectful advice though Paddy. Thanks anyway. 

disrespectful advice? Ok. Just for you. A poacher in the footballing sense is someone who does nothing apart from hang around the box and sticks the ball in the net. 

Does that sound like Robbo to you?

doddsyJR9

disrespectful advice? Ok. Just for you. A poacher in the footballing sense is someone who does nothing apart from hang around the box and sticks the ball in the net. 

Does that sound like Robbo to you?

Goalscorer supreme. I don't need you to tell me about Robbo, thanks anyway.

PaddysBar

Goalscorer supreme. I don't need you to tell me about Robbo, thanks anyway.

So you’re happy with your description of Robbo as a poacher then. Cool. 

doddsyJR9

So you’re happy with your description of Robbo as a poacher then. Cool. 

I've not really been happy for over a year now since my good lady wife passed away. She was a tremendous woman, kind, with a big heart, a good christian, loved the salvation army, worked in the legal services for most of her adult life. That's what matters to me Paddy. If you didn't like what I said, no big deal to me son.

Uncle Buck

I was too young for Robbo but Shankland has a better goals to game ratio, is about to reach 50 goals quicker than Robbo and is one behind his European record in only one year. Obviously Robbo done it consistently for a long period, but Shankland has earned the right to be involved in these discussions.

49 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Convenient everyone ignores Donald Ford......my 1st great!

PaddysBar
8 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

I've not really been happy for over a year now since my good lady wife passed away. She was a tremendous woman, kind, with a big heart, a good christian, loved the salvation army, worked in the legal services for most of her adult life. That's what matters to me Paddy. If you didn't like what I said, no big deal to me son.

That’s awful Doddsy. Not sure it’s the right thing to bring up in a Robbo v Shanks debate though but you do have my sympathy. 

Edited by PaddysBar

The White Cockade

We are just very lucky to have had both players

Wee Robbo will always be a legend to those of us who watched him during his long career at Hearts

Lawrence Shankland is also an incredible player 

I doubt any of us really knew how good he is until he actually played for us 

Great right foot, great left foot and great in the air

Brilliant close control and one of the strongest forwards on the ball i have ever seen

Tremendous finisher from any distance 

Hard worker and really gets stuck in

I’ll be gutted if he does move on but privileged to have seen him in maroon

Imagine how many goals he would have scored in a better team than we currently have

doddsyJR9
Just now, Jambo61 said:

Convenient everyone ignores Donald Ford......my 1st great!

A Hearts great, legend. Just slightly before my time unfortunately. Great shout though, and a great song sung by many a Jambo.

doddsyJR9

That’s awful Doddsy. Not sure it’s the right thing to bring up in a Robbo v Shanks debate though but you do have my sympathy. 

Thank you Paddy. I didn't mean to bring my beautiful late wife into the conversation, or want to, but just to make you aware, that mental health can be a fragile thing, and I've not been as well as I was lately. Thank you though!

PaddysBar

Thank you Paddy. I didn't mean to bring my beautiful late wife into the conversation, or want to, but just to make you aware, that mental health can be a fragile thing, and I've not been as well as I was lately. Thank you though!

All cool mate. At the end of the day, we’re all Jambos👍

doddsyJR9

All cool mate. At the end of the day, we’re all Jambos👍

Nice one. Appreciated.

jager man

I've only read the title. Watched Robbo when I was 11 in 1984 he was a absolute legend in his hearts career.  When we signed Shankland I would have laughed at anyone who compared them. Every game Shanks gets better which Is exactly the same which happened to Robbo. I can't split them.

Bazzas right boot

Shanklands ability with two feet is very rare for a Scottish footballer.

I've not seen a Scottish striker so accurate at  striking the ball with both feet. His striking with both feet is exceptional. 

Many of His goals just the season alone are brilliant.

He's also good in the air.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

PaddysBar
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shanklands ability with two feet is very rare for a Scottish footballer.

I've not seen a Scottish striker so accurate at  striking the ball with both feet. His striking with both feet is exceptional. 

Many of His goals just the season alone are brilliant.

He's also good in the air.

Robbo genuinely said he had no preference for either foot. 

Nelly Terraces

I’ve been going to watch Hearts since 1976. 

John Robertson remains the best player we’ve had in that time that I’ve had the pleasure of watching. Shanks is doing us proud & his form just now is superb, but Robbo will always be the top dog. 

Independence
1 hour ago, Chris#9 said:

John Grant Robertson was God in my house growing up. Their will never be another 

Same in my house but, we had 3 ‘god  equivalents’ , namely Willie Bauld (my fathers hero through the 50s), Donald Ford (my hero through the late 60s/early 70s ) and John Robertson (both my fathers and my own absolute hero) through the late 70/80s. 
Shankland, is edging into this legendary group and a Scottish Cup win this season would help!! 

HHGH

Watt-Zeefuik

If Shanks stays 5 years and wins silverware he can pass Robbo. 

Pasquale for King

Me. Once saw Robbo and told my wife that he gave me more pleasure than any man would ever give me. Shankland has a wee way to go but he is definitely on the right track. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

If Shanks stays 5 years and wins silverware he can pass Robbo. 

Quite simply, no.

No one will surpass Robbo.

Lucky to watch John Robertson make debut and to see him learn his trade with Hearts. Wonderful player who’ll always have the legend title at HMFC.

Lawrence Shankland is a very talented and intelligent footballer who we are extremely lucky to have. Just enjoy him whilst he is here. He seems to really enjoy playing at Hearts and having that captains armband.

i don’t want or need to compare them, i just enjoy and enjoyed them rattling the onion bag with regularity!

12 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Robbo by a country mile, booted up and down pitch, playing on Tattie fields every week and always gave as good as he got.

Robbo played for Hearts, not so sure Shankland does.

Eh???? 

13 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Nah it will always be Robbo for me.

Yup Robbo every time. Once Shanks scores 27+ against hubz I could be persuaded to change my mind. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Robbo genuinely said he had no preference for either foot. 

I've watched them both.

Oda be a JT
12 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Hearts boss Robbie Neilson on his transfer plans as he targets attacking  areas - Edinburgh Live

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Mr Neilson likes this post.

Bloody Autocorrect 🤣🤣

TexasAndy

I think it's far too early to compare Shanks with Robbo.  Our greatest ever goalscorer, 27 v Hibs,  an absolute legend.  What I will say is that Shanks is the most natural goal scorer we have had since Robbo.  

Jamboref51

Definitely Robbo.  I  remember robbo saying one time he made up for his lack of height by jumping early to distract the defender. Watched him do it countless times after that. Used to play amateur footy n loved copying his celebrations when I scored. Honestly can't see anyone being better in my eyes although the fact were debating it shows how we feel bout shanks and how lucky we are to have him 

colinmaroon
13 hours ago, mr fox said:

Robbo number one always will be. Shankland is the best finisher since him at the club but robbo really was special. 
Jock stein said he was the best finisher around at the time. 

Stein was right, Robbo's conversion ratio was way ahead of McCoist.  Robbie scored with both feet and headers.  He scored in the 6 yard box and from long range.  He could dribble, remember his record setting goal v Rangers at Tynecastle.  Shankland has scored some spectacular goals and arguably is better at creating his goals, whereas Robbo had the nack of being in the right place at the right time.

Both are superb goalscorers.

kingantti1874

Robbo has the longevity.  If shanks is here till he’s 35 then we have a real debate.

hes a brilliant player man, on the pitch they are similar in ways but different in others but equally effective.  the fact we are even discussing this after 18 months at the club is an incredible achievement. 

Ian Black 8

Right now for me Robbo the king and Shanks the prince 🤣 Robbo over 200 goals and played with the club for over 15 years the guy is Mr Hearts and is a legend a think it’s hard to knock him off that king status but as for Shanks the guy is an animal the goal record is sickening that’s the numbers your expected to get at the old firm or big teams down England but put it this way it’s very rare to see these kind of players at Hearts probs every couple century’s so we need to enjoy it and take it in while we can 👍🏼🇱🇻

heartsfan

Robbo for me as he scored for fun season after season. Plus he was one of my favourites when younger.