Shankland or Robbo ! Who was fortunate to see the two ???

gar jambo

bigsuperslim1874
21 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Scottish football players were clearly of a far better standard in the 80s and 90s at both club and International level. That isn't in doubt as the clubs got to European quarter finals, semi finals and finals along with the national team regularly going to tournaments.

However I would say that there isn't much Shankland can do about that, he can only play against what is in front of him and he does it very well.

This is exactly it. Robbo did his damage at a time when:-

1. Scottish Football was at a far FAR higher standard. I think many younger fans don’t realise the standard of Scottish football was pretty high in the 80s and to a lesser degree the 90s (even if Hearts were murder for the early 80s). This point alone ends any argument/debate.

2. When there was nothing like the protection players get nowadays. The defenders ‘dark arts’ were proper dark in those days.

It’s not even close as a comparison IMO. And thats even with a pretty sensational player in Shankland. We are lucky to have him and should enjoy him whilst he is here (hopefully for years to come).

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• PaddysBar

• doddsyJR9

• Trigger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rudi must stay

I've seen Shanklands goals and some of Robertson's on YouTube so I guess you can say I've seen both 

The Goalscoring Knee
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Willie Wallace. 🥸

Wish I'd been of an age to see him play. And Bauld. These inter-era comparisons will always be fun but flawed - it would be interesting to see how Robbo and Shankland would fare if they'd swapped places with Donald Ford and Willie Gibson.

arfurdaley

Defo Robbo for me, grew up watching him scoring goals for fun.

My grandad and uncles would say Willie Bauld.

My kids would say Shanks.

Every generation needs their heroes. 

saxondale
1 hour ago, Trigger said:

😂

Instead of your childish and arrogant retorts, why not attempt to provide some reasoning behind why you think Robbo is ‘technically’ a better footballer than Shankland? Beyond saying “he clearly is”…

I am not a saying I agree of disagree with you btw, but it will result in a bit of debate and discussion (which is sort of what this forum is for).

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

In my opinion, that's not correct.

Robbo could do it all as well, could drop deep to link up play, put in a great cross,,and obviously an unbelievable finisher🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

1971fozzy
3 minutes ago, arfurdaley said:

Defo Robbo for me, grew up watching him scoring goals for fun.

My grandad and uncles would say Willie Bauld.

My kids would say Shanks.

Every generation needs their heroes. 

this

queensferryjambo
32 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think Robbo benefited from players such as Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark to create the chances for him whilst Shankland did it himself.

I also think people maybe view Robbo through rose tinted glasses as he had such a great scoring record versus Hibs.

Robbo definitely benefited from the players who played along side him. In the big picture of Robbo's career he played 17 seasons for us 632 games. Bone and Clark were there a reasonably short part of it. Colquhoun, Baird and Crabbe also deserve a big mention for creating chances for Robbo. 

However Robbo was also his own man and outlasted every one of his striking partners. Robbo was also a player who got goals out of nothing as well by being clever enough to be in the right place at the right time.  

I love Shankland but disagree he does everything himself. In fact the way he takes his chances when he gets them remids me of how Robertson played more than any other player I have watched.  

There isn't maroon tinted specs with Robbo for scoring against Hibs because he scored against everyone.

If you look at the better teams / rivals from Robbo's era he scored 27 against Hibs, 24 against Rangers, 18 against Celtic, 18 against Dundee Utd, 15 against Aberdeen (who had the best defence I ever remember in Scotland with Miller and McLeish) and 27 against Motherwell. 

As for maroon tinted specs and Shankland there is no doubt whatsoever in years from now I will have my maroon Shanks specs on and remember his goals against Hibs as well - because they are beauties and so important to us all.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Wish I'd been of an age to see him play. And Bauld. These inter-era comparisons will always be fun but flawed - it would be interesting to see how Robbo and Shankland would fare if they'd swapped places with Donald Ford and Willie Gibson.

I did see Wallace play for Hearts but I was too young to have much memory if it.  I agree inter generational comparisons are flawed but it's a bit of harmless fun. 

3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Robbo definitely benefited from the players who played along side him. In the big picture of Robbo's career he played 17 seasons for us 632 games. Bone and Clark were there a reasonably short part of it. Colquhoun, Baird and Crabbe also deserve a big mention for creating chances for Robbo. 

However Robbo was also his own man and outlasted every one of his striking partners. Robbo was also a player who got goals out of nothing as well by being clever enough to be in the right place at the right time.  

I love Shankland but disagree he does everything himself. In fact the way he takes his chances when he gets them remids me of how Robertson played more than any other player I have watched.  

There isn't maroon tinted specs with Robbo for scoring against Hibs because he scored against everyone.

If you look at the better teams / rivals from Robbo's era he scored 27 against Hibs, 24 against Rangers, 18 against Celtic, 18 against Dundee Utd, 15 against Aberdeen (who had the best defence I ever remember in Scotland with Miller and McLeish) and 27 against Motherwell. 

As for maroon tinted specs and Shankland there is no doubt whatsoever in years from now I will have my maroon Shanks specs on and remember his goals against Hibs as well - because they are beauties and so important to us all.

top post on this thread imho 👍

PaddysBar

Robbo was an absolutely fantastic all round player (I get the seethe any time I hear him being described as a poacher or penalty box player). 

He did it (as Tazio quite right pointed out) for nearly two decades. He was sensational. 

Shankland over his short time here has a better goals to game ratio but he’s only been here for 18 months. 

He is a superb player as well and has the same superstar (at our level) presence as Robbo did. 

They’re both very comparable and impossible to compare, purely down to the vastly different amount of time they’ve spent at the club. 

Shankland is the one player in our squad I’d be more than happy to watch for the next 18 months and walk for nothing as his goals will mean more financially to Hearts than his transfer value. 

it’s obviously Robbo head to head against Shanks. I do think Shankland could hold his own on ability with Robbo but he’d need to stay until his mid thirties and continue to score at the rate he’s at throughout to even get close to Robbo’s legacy. The younger generation of fans that didn’t grow up on Robbo’s goals won’t understand but doing what he did among heartbreak after heartache in league and cup and it finally ending with him having the best seat in the house in 98… you couldnt even describe it.

I will say this. If we can give him a cup final this May I feel he will do something that have him on a par or above Rudi in terms of the esteem he’s held

south morocco

Robertson all day. He done it season after season after season w

13 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

This is exactly it. Robbo did his damage at a time when:-

1. Scottish Football was at a far FAR higher standard. I think many younger fans don’t realise the standard of Scottish football was pretty high in the 80s and to a lesser degree the 90s (even if Hearts were murder for the early 80s). This point alone ends any argument/debate.

2. When there was nothing like the protection players get nowadays. The defenders ‘dark arts’ were proper dark in those days.

It’s not even close as a comparison IMO. And thats even with a pretty sensational player in Shankland. We are lucky to have him and should enjoy him whilst he is here (hopefully for years to come).

agree, Robertson for me, Unreal!!  Your last paragraph sums it up too. 

Finlay James

Shanks is class but not even close to Robbo class.  Not a slight on Shanks but Robbo is one of the best Scottish strikers of all time so plenty to aspire to.  Robbo also scored for fun at a time when Scottish football was very strong and aside from the Glasgow clubs, Aberdeen & Dundee United were doing well in Europe.

It’s Robbo for me. However slightly off topic but I cannot get my head round why it’s taken this long for a club like ours to find anyone remotely close to Robbo. 

We’ve been blessed with great defenders and goalies and a number of gems in midfield but Shankland is the first striker to replace Robbo!

I love Shanklands attitude and his finishing is class. He’s a real leader out there for us. Yesterday after every goal he wanted us back at the half way line ready to go for more love that.

I guess I watched Robbo do it for longer against some really top class international defenders and he’s the very definition of legend, Shanks need to resign and give us another 3 years and he’d definitely be up there with the wee man.

jock _turd

Saw them both and for me it has to be Robbo he did it for years some better than others but for years . Robbo had it in spades he was actually a football palyer not just a goal scorer. It is only an opinion but for me Shanks is a good striker but he has a way to go to reach the level of Robbo. It has also to be said I have seen more of Robbo than of Shanks in my time so maybe I am a bit biased 😂

Been three top drawer strikers in my time: Ford, Robertson and Shankland, all different in many ways and utterly lethal against Hibs. But there’s something about this Shankland’s that I find quite brilliant. It’s his vision. How he looks up and bangs it in with pin point precision. What a player he is.

henrysmithsgloves

Robbo 100% Shanks is good,but robbos a PHM, just my opinion ❤️❤️G❤️

LeylandJambo

Robbo would never have been as affective as he was if it wasn't for Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark.  Having said that I'd still pick Robbo over Shankland every time.

jock _turd
52 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think Robbo benefited from players such as Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark to create the chances for him whilst Shankland did it himself.

I also think people maybe view Robbo through rose tinted glasses as he had such a great scoring record versus Hibs.

Yer havering mate  😂

Polonia Gorgie

Robbo had longevity and was adored by the fans for well over a decade, he did play in an era when our clubs were competing in Europe and the standard was so high compared to now. The keepers he played and scored against, just from the top of my head Andy Goran, Pat Bonnar, Theo Schneldrs, Chris Woods, John Burridge, Gordon Marshall. I'm sure there are plenty others I can't remember. Plus his goals against Hibs and his part in the 22 game run. Robertson will always be my favourite player. He was and still is Hearts through and through, just got the club it's ingrained in him.

I also love Shankland, and I'm so pleased that the club are going all out to keep him. For me Shanks would need to sign the extension to be mentioned in the same breath as Robbo. I really do hope we can have this conversation in 3/4 years time as to who is the best striker out the two. Shanks is class but Robbo is the Ace of Hearts.

Polonia Gorgie

Robbo had longevity and was adored by the fans for well over a decade, he did play in an era when our clubs were competing in Europe and the standard was so high compared to now. The keepers he played and scored against, just from the top of my head Andy Goran, Pat Bonnar, Theo Schneldrs, Chris Woods, John Burridge, Gordon Marshall. I'm sure there are plenty others I can't remember. Plus his goals against Hibs and his part in the 22 game run. Robertson will always be my favourite player. He was and still is Hearts through and through, just got the club it's ingrained in him.

I also love Shankland, and I'm so pleased that the club are going all out to keep him. For me Shanks would need to sign the extension to be mentioned in the same breath as Robbo. I really do hope we can have this conversation in 3/4 years time as to who is the best striker out the two. Shanks is class but Robbo is the Ace of Hearts.

I've seen both.   Instead of comparing and deciding who is the better striker, I've decided they'd compliment each other's styles.   They could play off each other if that was possible.   Skacel as well obviously.   The three of them up top 🤤

Given his age, Shankland would likely have to retire at Hearts, and continue the form until then to get anywhere close. 

Shankland or Rudi is a more interesting comparison imo. Both lethal finishers, Shankland has greater numbers but Rudi is Rudi, and has the Scottish cups. 

Edited by EH11 2NL

Jack Torrance

Robbo. Too early to say about Shankland but he's on the right track and the best we've had since The Hammer. Would need to do it consistently, for a few more seasons with us, imo.

Edited by Jack Torrance

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Most folk who’ve seen both will opt for Robbo, myself included, simply due to age/nostalgic feeling. The run of form Shankland is on right now is absolutely sensational though. 
It’s absolutely amazing that 25 years on we’ve got a striker whose name is mentionable in the same breath as the wee man. 

1 hour ago, PaddysBar said:

Robbo was an absolutely fantastic all round player (I get the seethe any time I hear him being described as a poacher or penalty box player). 

He did it (as Tazio quite right pointed out) for nearly two decades. He was sensational. 

Shankland over his short time here has a better goals to game ratio but he’s only been here for 18 months. 

He is a superb player as well and has the same superstar (at our level) presence as Robbo did. 

They’re both very comparable and impossible to compare, purely down to the vastly different amount of time they’ve spent at the club. 

Shankland is the one player in our squad I’d be more than happy to watch for the next 18 months and walk for nothing as his goals will mean more financially to Hearts than his transfer value. 

Both posts sum it up to a T for me. :thumbsup:

Anybody that has gone baws deep on one or the other should probably have another wee think.

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Rannoch said:

Been three top drawer strikers in my time: Ford, Robertson and Shankland, all different in many ways and utterly lethal against Hibs. But there’s something about this Shankland’s that I find quite brilliant. It’s his vision. How he looks up and bangs it in with pin point precision. What a player he is.

Another good post. Shankland is a very clever player with high football intelligence and great vision. If he had had a bit more pace he'd never have played for us, imo. He's what i look forward to most on matchdays the now.

PaddysBar

One thing they have in common is that they and Hearts is just such a good fit. 

Some players just get certain clubs. I felt the same about Ginelly and hope he’s back one day. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Robbo, however if Shankland extends his contract and stays on the form he is, could be tight in years to come. Unlikely tho. 

Shankland would have to sign the extension, continue his goal scoring prowess for the full 4/5 years to be thought of as a Robbo replacement among thousands of Hearts fans. A wee cup win wouldn’t hurt either. 😜

Shankland has a way to go to reach Robbo's standing, Robbo did it season after season, an exceptional striker who terrorised hibs

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

Good post.

May I also add that John told me that although everyone talks about JC, Crabbo, Sandy and Yogi it was, in his own words, Jim Hamilton that was his favourite strike partner.

Hearts_fan

Shanks has played something like 60 games for us and he’s been on form pretty much the whole time. Only if he stays longer term can he be compared favourably to Robbo, IMO.

Robbo was top class over many, many years, hundreds of games, with hundreds of goals. King of Hearts.

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Sorry, DVB, but this is just not right.

Just now, Hearts_fan said:

Shanks has played something like 60 games for us and he’s been on form pretty much the whole time. Only if he stays longer term can he be compared favourably to Robbo, IMO.

Robbo was top class over many, many years, hundreds of games, with hundreds of goals. King of Hearts.

Ace of Hearts, was John.

The King of Hearts was Willie Bauld.

Hearts_fan
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Ace of Hearts, was John.

The King of Hearts was Willie Bauld.

I stand corrected, it’s late.  

The first game I ever went to live was an away game at ER. I don’t know why, I just decided I wanted to go. Hearts went 1-0 down, but Robbo scored twice for a 2-1 win, and I was hooked.

Shanks is the best striker I’ve seen play for us since then. But he’ll never stay long enough to rival Robbo.

5 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

He's played 78 times. And scored 49 goals. Madness. 🤯

Had he got his hat trick on Saturday,  he would have reached 50 goals on the exact same date that Robbo did (3rd Feb).

Unfortunately players in this era don't tend to stay at a club for that long. So its unlikely Shanks will be here for a comparable time to Robbo.

What I will say is Shanks goals to game ratio is incredible. And that's before you consider all other aspects of his play. 

Donald Ford was the best of his generation; Robbo the best of his; Shankland the best of the current generation. I've been lucky enough to see all 3 but it's really impossible to compare the generations 

Jambo-Fox
4 hours ago, gar jambo said:

I’m 58 seen both I favour shankland robbing done it for a longer period but shankland for me any foot good with the head and strong as an oxx

Ask this question in 5 years time - not worth giving it any thought at present ….

Robbo Robbo Robbo Robbo Robbo …

alanjambo

Shankland is the best forward we've had this century. Robbo was unbelievable though over a long period of time. I saw them both and I'd say Robbo was the better forward and better player. I'm just happy that I've been able to see them both in the maroon.

17 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I stand corrected, it’s late.  

👍❤️

It's like choosing which of your kids you like the best. Accept they are different and better grateful for the joy they have brought you.

Seen lots of both of them

Shankland is top quality ,but Robbo  is a Hearts legend ,so Shanks has a bit to go to attain that status in my opinion.

Robbo was a generational talent , Shanks might get there ,but he needs to stay to do that which is currently in some  doubt unfortunately .

there's no doubt that both are/ were superbly talented.

Robbo was a brilliant instinctive finisher and benefited from e.g Sandy Clark/ Jimmy Bone as a partner......Shanks is at least as good, with not a lot of help!

Robbo for me. More dynamic.but shankland is top drawer and working up front basically on his own( no colqhoun crabby or big sandy to work with.both good in their own rightboth a lot better than Willie Pettigrew ha ha ha.,

29 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Donald Ford was the best of his generation; Robbo the best of his; Shankland the best of the current generation. I've been lucky enough to see all 3 but it's really impossible to compare the generations 

Ford was more accountable!