Shankland or Robbo ! Who was fortunate to see the two ???

gar jambo

Scott Monument

John Robert is the best goal goal scorer in Hearts recent history so he will always be the best,Shankland is a top player though

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• PaddysBar

• doddsyJR9

• Trigger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dallas Green
1 minute ago, Trigger said:

He isn’t and never will be. As I say, spoken like someone who never seen Robbo in his prime.

Don’t worry about it, you’re not the only ignorant one posting on the subject 👍🏻

Quite weird to get personal about it.

Calling someone ignorant because they were born after his prime?

Have a wee sit down bud.

joondalupjambo

Robbo by a mile, a country mile.  Lived through the Robbo years from start to finish. Shankland shines but not as bright as Robbo did.

argyjambo

Hi everyone, I don't post  much these days, I'm in my 70th year and have been

privileged to have seen Willie Wallace,  Willie Gibson, Robbo, Rudi & Shanks play all I  the flesh. I enjoyed all of them, as someone who lives for the moment, I prefer not to compare them as they were/are all different and very effective strikers. 

Right now I'm loving Shanks, & will be at Perth on Wednesday along with my son to watch what will hopefully be another away win.

Another reason for me attending is that my Son in law is the referee.

periodictabledancer

Shanks is by miles the best player at Hearts for many years, great feet, great technical ability but he is nowhere near matching Robbo. 

Robbo is regarded often as merely a great box striker but he started out  as a winger and it showed. Great feet , could score on either foot and had terrific close control. Never got the praise he deserved because of the Weegie love in for McCoist. 

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Did I imply that? When I said he did”it” it is only your interpretation that “it” means 20 goals. 

That’s why I asked what you did mean. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, ibpc said:

Both top class but neither can compare to King Willie Bauld.

I'd agree with this but it is hard to compare through eras.

Bauld's era different from Robbo's and Shankland's different from both 

Byyy The Light

First game in 1988, nobody will ever surpass Robbo for me.  As a kid he was my first ever hero and idol. Just don’t get the same buzz with players nowadays.

Hope Shankland stays and finishes his career here. He’ll be a genuine legend if he does. 

Turkishcap

Wonder if both both could have played together, Robbo feeding off Shanks like Sandy C.

Lets not forget Donald Ford!

16 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Quite weird to get personal about it.

Calling someone ignorant because they were born after his prime?

Have a wee sit down bud.

😂

Jamhammer

Fortunate to have seen them both. If I could only have one in my team it’d be Robbo

Shanks is unbelievable mind

11 minutes ago, ibpc said:

Both top class but neither can compare to King Willie Bauld.

Agreed but I think Jimmy Wardaugh scored more goals than Willie.

Most folk who’ve seen both will opt for Robbo, myself included, simply due to age/nostalgic feeling. The run of form Shankland is on right now is absolutely sensational though. 
It’s absolutely amazing that 25 years on we’ve got a striker whose name is mentionable in the same breath as the wee man. 

spirt of 98

This thread is pointless. There is only one Ace of Hearts! Come back when Shanks has played here another 5 years and done what Robbo did for years and years. Shankland is currently in form and would give one of Robbos seasons a run for its money however form is temporary class is permanent. 

PS Hope Shanks retires at Hearts looking back and genuinely questioning if he is the new Ace. 

Edited by spirt of 98

Much like Robbo we just have to applaud Shankland for what he is and enjoy him while it lasts.

Unfortunately, There may never be another Robbo who does it season after season. Football isn't like that now.

I couldn't pick who is the better player. Different times. 

Shankland won't be here much longer. All we can do is hope that the wait for the next one isn't as long. 

Robbo number one always will be. Shankland is the best finisher since him at the club but robbo really was special. 
Jock stein said he was the best finisher around at the time. 

Gundermann

Glad I saw both. Can mind Robbo and Bone ripping apart Oldco's defence at Tynie in a 3-1 win and a fair few against Hibs too.

cookieboy

I am privileged to have seen Robbo's full career in Maroon. If Shanks signs a new contract and remains for another 5 years and keeps up his

amazing scoring record come back and ask me . 

Boris5115

Robbo all day long. Shanks is a class player but will never give us the length of service Robbo did. Would love to have seen Clark JC and Robbo in action on the current pitch as it was a tattie field back then. 

tiger Rudi

I think Shanks has the superior goals/game ratio compared to Robbo..... for now.

If he decides to stay and finish his career with Hearts, then who knows what records he could break. 

Due to the number of years Robbo played for us, I would say his value to Hearts was and always will be, far superior to Shankland. 

Robbo fully deserving of legend status, can't really say that about Shanks just yet. 

Having seen them both, Robbo was better, but did he ever score the  spectacular individual goals that Shankland is capable of? That might just be my dodgy memory though. 

I saw Robbo at the end of his Hearts career. I'd say Shanks is this generations Robbo. Therefore, needs keeping. 

16 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

I am privileged to have seen Robbo's full career in Maroon. If Shanks signs a new contract and remains for another 5 years and keeps up his

amazing scoring record come back and ask me . 

Exactly what I was about to say, Robbo did it season after season, so Shanks will have to stay put, for a few seasons more🤞

RedStarRiot

I think folk forget how good a footballer Robbo actually was and how he continued to score in some quite poor teams. 

Shankland is great but he’s not John Robertson. He’d score for fun in in today’s game and this league. 

queensferryjambo

I am fortunate enough to have seen both of them play. 

If you saw Robbo play great, if you saw both play then fantastic.

Not even sure why people feel the need to compare them. Just enjoy Shankland playing for Hearts right now.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No need for a pissing contest Robbo did it years on end, Shanks wont be here much longer to become a legend 

Oda be a JT

Robbie for me, not to say Shankland can’t change my mind if he stays for years and keeps doing what he is!

been here before
1 hour ago, gar jambo said:

I’m 58 seen both I favour shankland robbing done it for a longer period but shankland for me any foot good with the head and strong as an oxx

No competition, not even close.

robb02.jpg.ff6ccdaaba3d5b7c7acbc025185c55d7.jpg

Luckies1874

Kind of a needlessly divisive question to be asking given how well things are going but the answer is Robbo and it’s in no way even close at this stage. Shankland is doing superbly well for us and has the opportunity to become a Hearts great if he stays and continues this over 4 or 5 seasons.

Robbo and Rudi Skacel are very far ahead of anybody else over the last 6 or 7 decades given their accomplishments. 

I saw them both . Robertson was here so long it was difficult to compare the two really . Both great strikers for us . If Shanks was to be here for the same length of time we could maybe compare . Love both 

queensferryjambo
2 minutes ago, maybolejambo said:

Robbo done it against better teams.

Scottish football players were clearly of a far better standard in the 80s and 90s at both club and International level. That isn't in doubt as the clubs got to European quarter finals, semi finals and finals along with the national team regularly going to tournaments.

However I would say that there isn't much Shankland can do about that, he can only play against what is in front of him and he does it very well.

queensferryjambo
4 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

Robbie for me, not to say Shankland can’t change my mind if he stays for years and keeps doing what he is!

Hearts boss Robbie Neilson on his transfer plans as he targets attacking  areas - Edinburgh Live

Diadora Van Basten

I think Robbo benefited from players such as Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark to create the chances for him whilst Shankland did it himself.

I also think people maybe view Robbo through rose tinted glasses as he had such a great scoring record versus Hibs.

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think Robbo benefited from players such as Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark to create the chances for him whilst Shankland did it himself.

I also think people maybe view Robbo through rose tinted glasses as he had such a great scoring record versus Hibs.

What? Total nonsense. 

He scored nearly 250 goals against teams not named Hibs! Shankland’s next goal will see him reach 50, a tremendous achievement in the timeline but not in the same stratosphere as Robbo currently! 

12 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

Mr Neilson likes this post.

cookieboy
3 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

What? Total nonsense. 

He scored nearly 250 goals against teams not named Hibs! Shankland’s next goal will see him reach 50, a tremendous achievement in the timeline but not in the same stratosphere as Robbo currently! 

👍

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

Hi everyone, I don't post  much these days, I'm in my 70th year and have been

privileged to have seen Willie Wallace,  Willie Gibson, Robbo, Rudi & Shanks play all I  the flesh. I enjoyed all of them, as someone who lives for the moment, I prefer not to compare them as they were/are all different and very effective strikers. 

Right now I'm loving Shanks, & will be at Perth on Wednesday along with my son to watch what will hopefully be another away win.

Another reason for me attending is that my Son in law is the referee.

Make sure your Daughter leaves him in no doubt that he’ll be in he dogs house if he has a bad game.

allystrachan

If Shankland finishes his career with up & keeps up this form for the next 7-8 years & wins a cup then he might have a shout…. Until then it’s 100% Robbo. 

However, you could certainly argue that Shankland is a better finisher & more all round player. 

Ministryofdad

Not even up for a debate. Robbo every day of the week. 

Shankland only gets a mention as he is the current player to reach robbos target. 

1971fozzy

I’m lucky to have watched Robbo from 1985 and the joy that man gave us is off the scale.  The question though (for me anyway) is impossible to answer as different eras. 
Both of them are total class.  We’ve waited 25 years to have someone anything like Robbo and I’m just praying it’s longer than 2 seasons.  

1 hour ago, Turkishcap said:

Wonder if both both could have played together, Robbo feeding off Shanks like Sandy C.

Lets not forget Donald Ford!

better player than both shanks and robbo, playing in a shit team scored 29 goals in 73-74