Shankland or Robbo ! Who was fortunate to see the two ???

gar jambo

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• PaddysBar

• doddsyJR9

• gar jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

skinnybob72

Robbo for me every day of the week.

Shankland can elevate himself to legend status by scoring the goals to win us the Scottish Cup. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Shankland he shoots he scores both feet. Robbo had amazing telepathy when the ball came into the box he knew exactly where it would go and be on the end of it. I wouldn’t compare them both very different players but both brilliant with different attributes. 

Allowayjambo1874

Robbo played many positions, seen him play what would be regarded as no10 loads of times. Shanks is up there but as far as anyone who has seen both play shanks cannot he regarded in same breath as Robbo, for longevity, consistency, prowess and durability. 

Look at the standard of teams Robbo played against and he still kept scoring, the current SPFL is nowhere near that standard. 

On 04/02/2024 at 18:24, Trigger said:

He isn’t and never will be. As I say, spoken like someone who never seen Robbo in his prime.

Don’t worry about it, you’re not the only ignorant one posting on the subject 👍🏻

I saw Robbo score his first Derby goal. He will always be my hero and a Hearts Legend but in my opinion Shankland is the better footballer.

jamborich
5 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

If Shankland scored the goal Robertson scored here at 11:20 we'd all be doing cartwheels.

Memories was at that game sure that sandy Clark’s first game

Shanks has been great, but Robbo was better than Shanks.

Since I started watching Hearts (1978ish) they have been our best two forwards.

Both of them love a goal against the Hibs, both of them score against the Old Firm.

Both of them deserve more Scotland caps.

HAMILTON HEARTS

My old man is 84 and seen the full set terrible trio robbo and shanks

1 hour ago, jamborich said:

It was.

Walter Bishop

Ridiculous thread. John Robertson is the greatest Hearts player of the past 50 years and one of the greatest ever. I had the pleasure of watching him as early as 1984, breaking my heart when he left and then the joy of him “coming home”. 

Great goalscorer, very intelligent player and imo very, very under rated. I recall Ally McCoist saying Robbo was a better finisher than him. 

It’s a disgrace we don’t have any statues or the like for guys like Robbo, Cumming, Walker, Bauld etc 

vlad on the tyne

Seen both and it's Robbo for me.  Robbo was hearts and for a very long time. Shanks has done exceptionally well in his year and a half but just don't think he has reached that level of greatness.

PaddysBar
3 hours ago, JTJ said:

Robbo & Shanks could both ask Willie Gibson how to take better penalties 😁

Never missed one……until he missed in a testimonial. Can’t remember whose, Gary Mac maybe?

2 hours ago, jamborich said:

Correct. October 1984. Good win in horrendous conditions. 

jimbojambo

Interesting to compare not only these two but the teams and times they played in. The 85/86 team should have been legends but are not and players like Ian Jardine and Kenny Black are seldom seen or mentioned at Tynecastle these days. For much of the 29 game unbeaten run we played the same team without injury or suspension and had a tiny squad of players and trained I think on a public park in Musselburgh. The fact we had so few injuries compared to the present time does raise questions given we have a medical department now instead of a doctor and a trainer. The discipline stems from the clean up of the game - if you can check out some of the tackling in the Wayne Foster Derby to see how players from both sides dished it out and got on with it. And all the time we just waited for the ball to land and give Robbo a sight of goal. What a player he was although Shanks is the best since the wee man at 

sniffing out and taking chances. 

Archie White

Can't believe some of the comments on this thread. Robbo is a genuine Hearts Legend over 15 or so years. Shankland will have had 2 seasons before he goes in the summer. There is no comparison. From my point of view I would need to add Donald Ford above Shanks. Scored loads of goals playing in poor teams against far better opponents than Scottish football has now and on poorer pitches. Played for Scotland with competition from Legends such as Law. Dalglish, Jordan etc. My first hero and a great guy.

Robbo Is God

Robbo made me fall in love with Hearts and football. He was and still is my hero and favourite player to ever have pulled on a maroon Jersey! Shankland will have to sign a long term contract and continue his form to get in the same bracket for me 

hereford_hearts

We have been privileged over the last 18 months to watch Shanks fire them in from every angle, every distance, with both feet and his head. Scoring the amount of goals in a season that we have longed for since Robbo retired. 

But, and it's a very big but. There will only ever be one 'Hammer of the Hibs'! 

I didn’t think the OP was asking who had legendary status rather who had the better football ability.

Robbo has legendary status of that there is no doubt, and Shankland is nowhere reaching that level.

However if we are comparing actual football ability - dribbling, ball control, shooting, heading, game awareness I have to go for Shankland…JUST!

Archie White
36 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

The defending in Robbo's era was absolutely light years ahead of what Shankland is up against

Correct. The standard in our League in all areas is miles lower than in Robbo's era. Plus Ref protection is much higher now.

weekend offender

Robbo, no contest. Prob my age at the time the old ground and the era Robbo played was just a great time to follow the Hearts

2 hours ago, Archie White said:

Correct. The standard in our League in all areas is miles lower than in Robbo's era. Plus Ref protection is much higher now.

Nah I don’t go with that. The defending is better now hence the excitement level has diminished since Robbo’s time

Robbo just before my time but surely there's no debate here? Nothing against Shankland but surely it has to be Robbo

Pans Jambo
20 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Ridiculous thread. John Robertson is the greatest Hearts player of the past 50 years and one of the greatest ever. I had the pleasure of watching him as early as 1984, breaking my heart when he left and then the joy of him “coming home”. 

Great goalscorer, very intelligent player and imo very, very under rated. I recall Ally McCoist saying Robbo was a better finisher than him. 

It’s a disgrace we don’t have any statues or the like for guys like Robbo, Cumming, Walker, Bauld etc 

100% this ^^^

Shanks is a fantastic player. Lets see if he goes on to hit 200+ goals for us before we roll out the legend status. 

23 hours ago, JTJ said:

Robbo & Shanks could both ask Willie Gibson how to take better penalties 😁

Drew Busby was the penalty King!

Robbo and it’s nowhere near close. A few more seasons banging them in and some silverware and there’s a debate to be had. Shankland is the best finisher we’ve had since the wee man though.

Fort Vallance

John Robertson carried this club on his back for a decade. I dread to think what that time would have been like without him. I love Shankland but its not even a debate for me.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 hours ago, ScoPo said:

Robbo was playing against a higher calibre of players.

Not even comparable.  

Robbo is a legend. End of.

Shanks is not even close...at least not yet.

Shanks has very similar close control to Robbo in tightly packed goalmouth situations and the same hunger/focus on finding the back of the net, but IMO he has a superior technique from distance and with headers. Hence, he is a 30 goals a season player as opposed to Robbo's 20. 

That said, Robbo clearly benefits from a 'much higher calibre' of misty-eyed romanticism about the standard of football in the eighties. It was far better than the turgid seventies but still not anywhere near as good as people are making out. If the football was that good, why were the attendance numbers so low compared to the 50's/60's or present day?

Also, it could be argued that defences these days are better drilled to closed down space with a low block, making it harder to penetrate, as opposed to the eighties-style 'parking the bus' and getting every man 'behind a jersey'.

PortyBeach
On 05/02/2024 at 23:06, Walter Bishop said:

Maybe not quite ridiculous, mate.

Shanks is clearly an accomplished player and in my view is probably an overall better footballer.

As you say though, Robbo was also a lethal finisher.

Robbo was also demonstrably committed to the club - then and now - and deserves our ongoing thanks and respect for that in my view.