*******Official Hearts v Aberdeen Match Thread*******

Sooperstar

soonbe110
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he started against livi just before the break. And was one of our better players on the day.  > hof easily that day

He did ok that day but it’s pretty clear that the manager doesn’t see him as anything close to a first pick these days. The intro of Tait, the potential of Pollock and the likely signing of Fraser just increases the competition in midfield.  Devlin due back in a couple of weeks as well. If Beni goes this window things may change but I doubt that’s happening.  By all accounts we have already signed his, or Beni’s, replacement on a pre-contract. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• ...andFulton'sBaggio

• Marvin

• feej

10 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Reading that reminded me of the thread on here prior to our visit to Darkheid.  We know how wrong we all were then. Our guys need to ensure that the same unexpected result doesn't happen this time.

Seem to recall we were confident going to pitoddrie! That went well!

8 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I get people are wary after last year, but I don't agree with this idea that we've been lucky. We're just consistently a bit better than the opposition and are getting the results to match. That doesn't mean we are particularly good or we won't lose or draw some games, but the standard of the league just isn't very high.

Take the other night as an example. Winning from 2-0 down isn't sustainable, obviously, but Dundee did take advantage. We were punished for two lapses at the back with two clinical finishes without them really creating anything else. We also missed some good chances ourselves in the first half. The vast majority of the time, we don't find ourselves 2-0 down in the first place.

1st half they were tidy on the ball, found space easily in midfield and we were honking! Don't dress it up!

Berrassobad
On 23/01/2024 at 23:46, Mikey1874 said:

Naismith said post match Grant and Forrest didn't start tonight due to 3 games in a week. So probably in team. 

yep - see I think thats just sensible - we have the squad. Lots of folk on here bang on about no "starting 11"  - save that for the cup semi/finals. Notice Aberdeen have a freaking nightmare run of fixtures - 8 games in 30 days ish - lets see how that goes - thats a fekn boot camp.

merseyjambo

Let’s be honest, a win would be a huge 3 points. It would put the gap at 19. 

Yes they have 3 games in hand but they’re going to be playing Saturday/Midweek pretty much for the next 4 weeks. In there they have a tough run of fixtures as well. The toll that will take on their fitness and the pressure that will be on them to win will be huge.

Our next 3 after this would give us the opportunity to put so much daylight between us and them, we need to take advantage of.

Lets put the mutton molesters back in their cod headed pen.

hisnameis

I don't think there is a direct comparison between last season and this, in terms of how likely we are to chuck away a points lead for 3rd place and Europe. I agree we are not playing that well. Particularly against teams who sit in. However, we are much more solid defensively as a unit than we were last season, so less likely to concede. Also, under Naismith were are far more likely to adapt if things are not going well. Last season we appeared to have no plan B and Robbie persisted with two sitting in midfield, even when everyone could see we were getting over run. 

Last year felt like we were on a lucky streak this year feels like we are not that creative most of the time but more resilient and difficult to beat.

1971fozzy

The amount of goals we have scored late on and comebacks shows a resilience not seen in years. That’s just brilliant. For too long we’ve been weak as kittens.  That result at Parkhead was pivotal. If I remember rightly if we had got beat and hibs had beat St Johnstone they would have been 4 or 5 points ahead of us with a derby at home next.

Our run since has been exceptional. Winning ugly is fine.  Beat Aberdeen on Saturday (I really don’t think it will be as easy as some may think) and it must be up there for our best run ever in this league

Tomorrow will be a tough match - no doubt about that. The sheep know that it’s one they have to get a result out of to have any chance of catching us. I’m still going for a 2 - o win for us.

7 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

1st half they were tidy on the ball, found space easily in midfield and we were honking! Don't dress it up!

I didn't say we played well, I said Dundee took full advantage of the chances that came to them. Other than the header Clark saved seconds before their first goal, what else did they actually create? He only made one other save in the game, from a free-kick straight at him after Halkett's brain fart late on.

We also did have chances of our own in the first half. Vargas had a decent chance from the edge of the box, Kingsley should've scored his header and Shankland also missed a good chance from Lembikisa's cutback. I'm not sure it should've been a foul before Vargas's laughable finish either. 

So for me, this is an example of an opposition team taking advantage and us winning anyway.

Plenty of room for improvement, mind. The defence was solid when it was Kingsley-Kent-Rowles and that seems to have been disrupted by Halkett's reintroduction. That's a worry for the next couple of games.

Kirky Jambo

Really hope we turn up from the start - something we have rarely done this year.

The likes of County and Dundee go 2-0 up at Tynecastle and get a nose bleed, I think Aberdeen (as much as they are no world beaters) would manage the game better.

Kirky Jambo
29 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I didn't say we played well, I said Dundee took full advantage of the chances that came to them. Other than the header Clark saved seconds before their first goal, what else did they actually create? He only made one other save in the game, from a free-kick straight at him after Halkett's brain fart late on.

We also did have chances of our own in the first half. Vargas had a decent chance from the edge of the box, Kingsley should've scored his header and Shankland also missed a good chance from Lembikisa's cutback. I'm not sure it should've been a foul before Vargas's laughable finish either. 

So for me, this is an example of an opposition team taking advantage and us winning anyway.

Plenty of room for improvement, mind. The defence was solid when it was Kingsley-Kent-Rowles and that seems to have been disrupted by Halkett's reintroduction. That's a worry for the next couple of games.

Agree with all of this. It wasn’t as though Dundee dominated the first half. Just took advantage of us being rubbish.

Luckily they are awful and we managed to turn it round second half, which we have rightly been given credit for.

JimmyCant
5 minutes ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Really hope we turn up from the start - something we have rarely done this year.

The likes of County and Dundee go 2-0 up at Tynecastle and get a nose bleed, I think Aberdeen (as much as they are no world beaters) would manage the game better.

Dundee are a better team than Aberdeen IMO, but your point is valid. Keep giving 2 goal starts at home and the wheels will come off eventually. It’d be nice to get a 90 minute performance for a change. I think we’re capable of handing out a thrashing if we start well in this game.

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Dundee are a better team than Aberdeen IMO, but your point is valid. Keep giving 2 goal starts at home and the wheels will come off eventually. It’d be nice to get a 90 minute performance for a change. I think we’re capable of handing out a thrashing if we start well in this game.

Giving away 2 goal starts at home in a season should never be acceptable, never mind twice in a few games especially against teams like Dundee and Ross County. Hopefully we've learnt from it now though. 

We're definitely due someone a thrashing and would be great to do it against Aberdeen again, diminishing their hopes of reaching 3rd place.

Jack Torrance

If we fall behind like we did against Dundee, I think we'll be in trouble.

That said, I reckon given Naismith's comments about the squad already sorting it out by the time he got to the dressing room at half time, they'll be in a better place from the off tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

That said, I reckon given Naismith's comments about the squad already sorting it out by the time he got to the dressing room at half time, they'll be in a better place from the off tomorrow.

I hope the lads treat it like a cup final. Its an absolutely massive game in the context of finishing 3rd. Aberdeen probably remain the biggest threat to finshing 3rd, morale wise getting a win would dent their confidence and hopefully really raise ours. 

Killie are probably still the dark horses for 3rd, but until Aberdeen are dead and buried, I'd still be worried they string some wins together. 

tiger Rudi
18 hours ago, Life Aquatic said:

It's the 93rd minute... nil nil, Hearts have just been awarded a penalty...

Who's taking it?

If Shanks wants it, he takes it. If he doesn't, I'd give it to Grant, assuming he's on the pitch at the time. 

tiger Rudi
9 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

I think against Aberdeen we will be fine in midfield, it's balls over the top for the likes of Duk and Miovski that worry me more. Look at their winning goal at Pittodrie, we played a high line, suicidal tbh that late in the game. 

We were hauling timber trying to get back.

I will likely get shouted down but I wouldn't be averse to playing a 4 with Sibbick back in. His recovery pace might be needed. Dexter's defensive attributes will be tested more in this one. 

Jack Torrance
12 minutes ago, OTT said:

I hope the lads treat it like a cup final. Its an absolutely massive game in the context of finishing 3rd. Aberdeen probably remain the biggest threat to finshing 3rd, morale wise getting a win would dent their confidence and hopefully really raise ours. 

Killie are probably still the dark horses for 3rd, but until Aberdeen are dead and buried, I'd still be worried they string some wins together. 

If Dundee pick up full points away to Livi and Aberdeen, our game away to them on 3 Feb gets more interesting. 

52 minutes ago, OTT said:

Do they though? haven't seen any evidence of that. Poor any time I've seen them and results haven't been great. For them to go on a run like they did last season twice in a row would be some ask and quite unlikely to happen. This would also require us absolutely chucking it again twice in a row. Killie a better side and more of a threat IMO.

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Do they though? haven't seen any evidence of that. Poor any time I've seen them and results haven't been great. For them to go on a run like they did last season twice in a row would be some ask and quite unlikely to happen. This would also require us absolutely chucking it again twice in a row. Killie a better side and more of a threat IMO.

They’ll remember last season and hope that a change of manager will do the trick. Robsons jaikit on a shoogly nail. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They’ll remember last season and hope that a change of manager will do the trick. Robsons jaikit on a shoogly nail. 

Yeah a few more defeats and I think he'll be gone. Shite manager and apparently a bit of a ***** too.

Edit: you can say shite but the word fa*ny is blurred out.. 🤨 

Edited by Chimp

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Jack Torrance said:

No faffing about from the start, hit the ground running .

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yeah a few more defeats and I think he'll be gone. Shite manager and apparently a bit of a ***** too.

Edit: you can say shite but the word fa*ny is blurred out.. 🤨 

Yeah shite fud is fine though. Where there’s a will there’s a way. You never used to be able to type Scunthorpe either.  It would show as S****horpe. 😂

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The amount of goals we have scored late on and comebacks shows a resilience not seen in years. That’s just brilliant. For too long we’ve been weak as kittens.  That result at Parkhead was pivotal. If I remember rightly if we had got beat and hibs had beat St Johnstone they would have been 4 or 5 points ahead of us with a derby at home next.

Our run since has been exceptional. Winning ugly is fine.  Beat Aberdeen on Saturday (I really don’t think it will be as easy as some may think) and it must be up there for our best run ever in this league

Away form has improved massively, probably the best since burley days

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah shite fud is fine though. Where there’s a will there’s a way. You never used to be able to type Scunthorpe either.  It would show as S****horpe. 😂

😅

The shite fud it is!

PapaShango

Massive game this, beat them and I think they are out the race for 3rd and really cements our place. I hope we come out and at them fast and put a game to bed early for a change! Can't remember the last time I wasn't desperate on the final whistle. Would be good to be able to relax and enjoy us for once! Got to get the midfield right for this one, I've seen what other have said around not starting Tait, however if we have legs in there the likes of Shinnie won't cope. We need to get our selection spot on in there, still the one area we aren't strong enough in. If we go to a flat back four, he may put Cochrane in the middle of the park. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Emphasis should be on the clean sheet rather than entertainment, unpopular view, get the win at worst don't lose the game, it makes life very difficult for them

Cruickie's Moustache

Carlsberg weekend.

Hearts win

T'Rangers pump St Midden

Killie v Hibs a draw.

Keeps the pack at bay and 10pts clear.

😀

GorgieFifeLife
4 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Carlsberg weekend.

Hearts win

T'Rangers pump St Midden

Killie v Hibs a draw.

😀

St Mirren are no threat.  Rather see them win and get us closer to the tribute act.

Bull's-eye

We'll need to score more than 2 goals to win, thats all I'm saying.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 hours ago, 8skacel8 said:

Kevin Clancy, he hates us.

Won 2-0 at Parkhead with him just a few weeks back, interesting we had the same ref against Dundee, the week before against Aberdeen, Nick Walsh next week if there is a rotation, dont think that is the case though

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Carlsberg weekend.

Hearts win

T'Rangers pump St Midden

Killie v Hibs a draw.

😀

Keep winning, we dont need to worry about anyone else, following last years debacle, the demand should be that, keep winning

11 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Won 2-0 at Parkhead with him just a few weeks back, interesting we had the same ref against Dundee, the week before against Aberdeen, Nick Walsh next week if there is a rotation, dont think that is the case though

Clancy was brilliant at Parkhead, let the game flow and got most decisions correct. Probably just a one off though because he's normally shocking against us. Little nyaff of a man.

18 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The sheep are scoring twice? IMG_2887.png.5bc58911d550f5bf855faba38f97d912.png

Cruickie's Moustache
25 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

St Mirren are no threat.  Rather see them win and get us closer to the tribute act.

Know what you are saying but I'd prefer to see them killed off from the chase.

Worry about getting closer to the two cheeks next season.

😀

Ex member of the SaS
14 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Keep winning, we dont need to worry about anyone else, following last years debacle, the demand should be that, keep winning

Just wait for the we can't win every game comments. I agree but we need to start well and keep the pressure on the rest, winning mentality should be ingrained. we should be high on confidence after Dundee and they should have realised that wasting time passing around the defense is not the way to play. Get players forward, flood the box when attacking and get the mids pushing forward. Too often we get everyone back defending and players don't know their positions, leave defending to the defense and keep players forward ready to start another attack. Forward tackling where possible and mids doing the same, stop them getting balls into the danger area.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Let’s be honest, a win would be a huge 3 points. It would put the gap at 19. 

Yes they have 3 games in hand but they’re going to be playing Saturday/Midweek pretty much for the next 4 weeks. In there they have a tough run of fixtures as well. The toll that will take on their fitness and the pressure that will be on them to win will be huge.

Our next 3 after this would give us the opportunity to put so much daylight between us and them, we need to take advantage of.

Lets put the mutton molesters back in their cod headed pen.

Beautifully put 👍🏽👏🏾

RustyRightPeg
48 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Just as well, for the rest of us.

OmiyaHearts
15 hours ago, 8skacel8 said:

Kevin Clancy, he hates us.

It was Kevin Clancy who was reffing when we beat Celtic at parkhead. Had a decent game.

Randy Marsh

3-0 Hearts. Sheeps recent record down here is worse than ours is up at their crumbling shithole. Shankland to get a final chance on penalty duty and score 1 from the spot.  Halkett to have a much improved performance and maybe get MOTM.

heartsfc_fan
10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Screenshot_2024-01-25-23-08-39-274_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.5086a602c9e4164e0e516577c0c2968d.jpg

4-0 Hearts 

Was just about to post similar.

Agreed with Hoff and Grant starting as both were big contributers in the second half v Dundee.

beerbandit
3 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Was just about to post similar.

Agreed with Hoff and Grant starting as both were big contributers in the second half v Dundee.

Not for me. Prefer a back four.

17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Screenshot_2024-01-25-23-08-39-274_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.5086a602c9e4164e0e516577c0c2968d.jpg

4-0 Hearts 

Haring? You joking? 

The rest is ok but if Beni isn't fit I'd put Hof in there and have either Tait or Forrest in the more advanced role.

Still like to see us play 4 at the back though.

Edited by Chimp

13 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Seem to recall we were confident going to pitoddrie! That went well!

13 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

How does the confidence of the fans affect the result on the park . I see this sort of thing cautioned a lot , but nobody has ever managed to explain why fans being confident can cause poor results