Oda

tartofmidlothian

Benny Klack
33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Armstrong definitely, probably should’ve looked at him before he went to Kilmarnock. 
Forrest has extremely little end product and should be a squad player as you say. 

Forrest’s best spell this season co-incided with our unbeaten run that put us in the position we are currently in. He’s undoubtedly been a major contributor for us this season. Granted he’s been off the boil for the past few weeks but that’s the beauty of our depth of squad this season - we’ve now got guys like Oda and McKay back in and taking their chances.

Forrest may well not be a first pick but he’s definitely been a better player since being coached by a proper manager (Naismith) and should definitely stick around next season when we will have European football to contend with.  He’s one of our hardest working players and causes others problems.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• innerjambo

• jamboinglasgow

• Pasquale for King

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Hopefully oda and Vargas will benefit from Dhanda and Spittal providing defence splitting passes

I would also argue with McKay as well fit. I dont think its a co-incidence that yesterday we started setting scoring goals from set ups we haven't really done this season (getting down the left, low across the box between keeper and defence to be tapped in.) 

jamboinglasgow
42 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Forrest’s best spell this season co-incided with our unbeaten run that put us in the position we are currently in. He’s undoubtedly been a major contributor for us this season. Granted he’s been off the boil for the past few weeks but that’s the beauty of our depth of squad this season - we’ve now got guys like Oda and McKay back in and taking their chances.

Forrest may well not be a first pick but he’s definitely been a better player since being coached by a proper manager (Naismith) and should definitely stick around next season when we will have European football to contend with.  He’s one of our hardest working players and causes others problems.

I would agree with this. 

Its why you have a squad, as players can in and out of form through the season. Forrest has been an important squad player and can cause defences trouble and constantly work them. 

Benny Klack
11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I would agree with this. 

Its why you have a squad, as players can in and out of form through the season. Forrest has been an important squad player and can cause defences trouble and constantly work them. 

👍

FarmerTweedy
7 hours ago, lou said:

I hope we keep both Oda and Tagawa for next season, I think Oda will be a key player in Europe and I really hope Tagawa kicks on after a year adjusting 

I agree.  With Tagawa in particular, I don't think the problem is entirely his own performances (although they have been an issue), I think we've lacked the ability in midfield to play the sort of balls that suit the runs he makes. Yesterday, I thought he made numerous really good runs but whoever was on the ball either didn't spot them or didn't play the right ball. I think Barrie McKay could supply balls that Tagawa would thrive on, and I feel like Dhanda will probably be able to next season too, and hopefully Spittal also!  So I'm quite excited for next season to see how he can do, and hope he's still here!

As for Oda, I think he's doing well so far, obviously lacks consistency and has a lot he'll hopefully be able to improve on as he matures, but as has been pointed out, he has a good goals to minutes ratio, and he's a very hard worker, tracking back a lot, plus when he's on his game he's a real handful for opponents even when not scoring himself.  

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

It's always a good sign when a player has a quiet game but also scores 

Won us a penalty too!

Cameronstheman

A lot of other players are chipping in with goals now, great to see

So much good happening at Hearts  right now, we are in such a great place 

Edited by Cameronstheman

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I agree.  With Tagawa in particular, I don't think the problem is entirely his own performances (although they have been an issue), I think we've lacked the ability in midfield to play the sort of balls that suit the runs he makes. Yesterday, I thought he made numerous really good runs but whoever was on the ball either didn't spot them or didn't play the right ball. I think Barrie McKay could supply balls that Tagawa would thrive on, and I feel like Dhanda will probably be able to next season too, and hopefully Spittal also!  So I'm quite excited for next season to see how he can do, and hope he's still here!

As for Oda, I think he's doing well so far, obviously lacks consistency and has a lot he'll hopefully be able to improve on as he matures, but as has been pointed out, he has a good goals to minutes ratio, and he's a very hard worker, tracking back a lot, plus when he's on his game he's a real handful for opponents even when not scoring himself.  

I would agree with this.

I think when Tagawa was signed, the plan was to have him and Shankland playing off each other, Tagawa playing like Ginnelly last season being a pacy player that breaks through. But we quickly discovered that most of the other teams in the league were playing deep and very defensive, and this was compounded by McKay getting injured and Lowry not performing to the level required. So we were forced to play a different style that did not suit Tagawa mixed with him getting an injury. Vargas kept fit and played which allowed him to establish himself. Add in Shankland was never going to dropped or subbed.

I saw the same as you yesterday where Tagawa was making great runs but either his team mates didn't see him or did not have the ability to make the correct pass. As someone pointed out Grant and McKay came off before he came on (Fraser was on the pitch but he has not got to the right level yet. I do think the signings plus a fit McKay and on form Grant (and whisper it Boyce if ever fit, can be a good link player) gets the most out of him next season.

Oda is much better than people give him credit and has got better in recent months. 

tartofmidlothian

Gutting to see him hit that one straight at the keeper, but I thought he was our brightest attacking threat today. He can hold his head up high, maybe he would have scored if he had the full ninety?

hearts00
21 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Gutting to see him hit that one straight at the keeper, but I thought he was our brightest attacking threat today. He can hold his head up high, maybe he would have scored if he had the full ninety?

Like almost all our play he did the first bit very well but then when the killer pass or shot was required it was a poor moment that lacked composure. Hopefully he and Vargas can improve.