Beni Baningime ( merged )

Bazzas right boot

David McCaig
9 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

I like Beni but the play slows down when he’s on the ball.

and yet our win % when he plays is ridiculously good

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• GinRummy

CostaJambo
18 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Sometimes there are conversations on here that end up being the perfect measure for whether or not a poster has any real idea about football...and Beni seems to be one of them.  Anyone suggesting Beni can go or that we won't miss him, can do better etc. swiftly goes on the not a clue list.

This /\. Will be absolutely delighted if Beni extends, I didn't think there was much chance not that long ago.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'm really not sure what you've been watching if you think he's been poor!

If we're talking about him pre injury - he hasn't hit those heights yet but if anyone was expecting him to be after a year and half out with a serious knee injury already then maybe that's a little presumptious and a touch naïve. 

Since coming back he's been good, finding space and keeping possession whilst also defending well. He's improving every game and he's a reason we've improved since he came back. No coincidence. 

Just off the top of my head he cost us 2 goals v Rosenberg (ok he probably shouldn’t have played that game), 1st goal v Hibs in 2-2 game, goal v Rangers at Tynie, another v Dundee at Tynie (to be fair it was a cluster**** of errors by about 4 players), other games he’s been miles off it too, players can easily run (almost walk) by him.   He was poor v Dundee at Tynie generally and we wouldn’t have won that game if Tait hadn’t come on for him. 

Yeah, I agree he’s generally been improving.  See what happens though.  We seem to win whether he plays or doesn’t play though and a good chance for Tait to kick on if he doesn’t sign.  

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

It’s been very good when he doesn’t play too.  Plus he’s cost us a lot more goals than he’s created. 

David McCaig
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s been very good when he doesn’t play too.  Plus he’s cost us a lot more goals than he’s created. 

Thats not true at all.

Drylaw Hearts
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

We need to better either side of him to further improve.

A couple of attack minded midfielders who can run with the ball and make a telling forward pass would maybe get the very best out of him.

David McCaig
Just now, Drylaw Hearts said:

We need to better either side of him to further improve.

A couple of attack minded midfielders who can run with the ball and make a telling forward pass would maybe get the very best out of him.

A 433 with Fraser to his left and Hoff to his right is a well balanced midfield.

That said Beni is going to have to be at the top of his game to stay in the side because Macaulay Tait has looked a superb prospect whenever he's come on as his direct replacement.

Drylaw Hearts
Just now, David McCaig said:

A 433 with Fraser to his left and Hoff to his right is a well balanced midfield.

That said Beni is going to have to be at the top of his game to stay in the side because Macaulay Tait has looked a superb prospect whenever he's come on as his direct replacement.

I haven’t seen Fraser play in about 6 years and imo Hoff is a very average midfielder and we need better.

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Thats not true at all.

Of course it’s true.  He’s had, what - one assist?  But been at fault on several goals this season. 

10 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

That's a great balance to have in a squad, especially Hearts right now looking very good.   Young players a chance to develope knocking a senior player out for a game or two.   The senior player getting a reminder to up their game. 

I agree with that 433 as well. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, jamle1874 said:

Football is of course about opinions but find it mental people cant clearly see Beni is our best midfielder by quite a distance

He maybe the best we have at present but is there better for the same money. ( I don't know as I don't follow players, that's the clubs job ). Not bothered if he stays or goes, what is important is,  if he goes, we replace with better.

If he stay then I hope he gets back to his best quickly.

18 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He isn’t there to be creative so that’s hardly an earth shattering insight. 

Ex member of the SaS
14 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

More chance of replacing Hoff, I would suggest.

Jambof3tornado
24 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Doesnt stop the fact that play through him slows to a snails pace.

More games under his belt and a full pre season....absolutely yes to giving him a new contract.

I just read the article about Gordon and Beni.   I'm glad Mckinley is confident.   I didn't read the Beni part as well as Gordon being much closer.   Seems it's more fifty fifty he might sign or not.   

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not sure about Benni, nowhere near the player he was before his injury but then none of us are eh? He has lost the ball / made some errors but hopefully he can work on his fitness and his confidence and get back to where he was. Can we afford to wait is another matter. Hopefully those taking training know what they are doing.

He is almost exactly the player he was pre injury . He is coming back after a year out and has done brilliantly to get back to where he has . He will get back to his very best and improve from there soon enough 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

He is almost exactly the player he was pre injury . He is coming back after a year out and has done brilliantly to get back to where he has . He will get back to his very best and improve from there soon enough 

One can only hope you are right.

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He isn’t there to be creative so that’s hardly an earth shattering insight. 

He’s also not there to gift goals to the opposition but unfortunately he’s been guilty of that several times this season.  

upgotheheads
46 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Wait till you see Craig Gordon's stats over more than 20 years. A complete imposter.

👍😄

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

One can only hope you are right.

I just think you are being a bit harsh about how well he has done so far after his injury though too . He is a really key part to our form imo

19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Of course it’s true.  He’s had, what - one assist?  But been at fault on several goals this season. 

Black and white view. Has he not been involved in build up play, or broken up attacks that have lead to goals etc.

He is an outstanding player at our level.

David McCaig
21 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The simple fact is that whenever Beni plays more often than not Hearts win.

If its a coincidence then its one hell of a coincidence because the sample size is pretty substantial now.

Edited by David McCaig

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Sooks said:

I just think you are being a bit harsh about how well he has done so far after his injury though too . He is a really key part to our form imo

Don't think I was harsh at all, just that personally not going ape sh!t if he goes ( or stays ) 

1 minute ago, db211833 said:

Black and white view. Has he not been involved in build up play, or broken up attacks that have lead to goals etc.

Yes he has and he has also supplied the pass that has released the attacker a few times too

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Don't think I was harsh at all, just that personally not going ape sh!t if he goes ( or stays ) 

Thats cool and fair enough :) 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The simple fact is that whenever Beni plays more often than not Hearts win.

If its a coincidence then its one hell of a coincidence because the sample size is pretty substantial now.

What is the sample size / stats?

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, db211833 said:

He has not been outstanding this season.  Far from it, albeit there are reasons for that.  But we can’t still be making excuses due to his injury this time next season. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What is the sample size / stats?

From recent memory, the only game we've dropped points in on this unbeaten run is the game he didn't play in I think.

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He has not been outstanding this season.  Far from it, albeit there are reasons for that.  But we can’t still be making excuses due his injury this time next season. 

Don't think anybody will dispute that. What I don't think folk realize is how long it genuinely does take to get back up to speed after an ACL injury.

If he is still off the pace, in a years time, then we can safely say he won't reach the heights he once did in our jersey. 

Thunder and Lightning
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bbc reporting he's close to extending.

Can't be true, would have been announced in some posters gym whatsapp group with Benni first!

Bazzas right boot

Shankland at Hospitality after the 2-0 v Dobs was telling how highly theu rate him.

Scott Wilson suggested we were a bit pish and asked what the gaffer said at ht.

Shanks- " nothing,  we just wondered if Beni was ok?" 🤣🤣

He's the best midfielder outside the OF.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Don't think anybody will dispute that. What I don't think folk realize is how long it genuinely does take to get back up to speed after an ACL injury.

If he is still off the pace, in a years time, then we can safely say he won't reach the heights he once did in our jersey. 

Yes, Halkett has obviously played a lot less games since he has come back (think it was ACL for him too?) but he has also clearly been struggling. 

Fxxx the SPFL

I like Beni but at times he’s too casual on the ball and gets dispossessed in our half and that’s worrying 

4marsbars
25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes he has and he has also supplied the pass that has released the attacker a few times too

Dead right.

How far back up the chain of passes do people qualify as 'assisting'? 

Player A could win the ball, beat 5 men running the length of the pitch, then pass to B, who sets it up for C to score, but only B would get the 'assist' stat.

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

From recent memory, the only game we've dropped points in on this unbeaten run is the game he didn't play in I think.

That’s a bit of an over simplistic view.  We’ve also won plenty when he hasn’t played and there has been games where we’ve improved after he got subbed off too (like Saturday there, taken off at 2-1 down and we went on to win 3-2, also Dundee at home - taken off at 2-0 down and again much improved after that and win 3-2).  But people will just look at those two games as games we won when he started rather than games we were losing when he was on the park.  Not that it is all down to one player of course.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yes, Halkett has obviously played a lot less games since he has come back (think it was ACL for him too?) but he has also clearly been struggling. 

ACL for Halks too. I've done it, and the rehab is awful. Sounds daft but simple things like turning whilst walking, you just lose confidence in doing it as naturally as you once did. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

ACL for Halks too. I've done it, and the rehab is awful. Sounds daft but simple things like turning whilst walking, you just lose confidence in doing it as naturally as you once did. 

It’s not daft at all just human nature.  Does it slow down actual running too?  Or is it more the speed of the turn then the running part is too late?  Does seem very noticeable that players can easily go by him now but that might be down to the turning part when back facing goal. 

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s not daft at all just human nature.  Does it slow down actual running too?  Or is it more the speed of the turn then the running part is too late?  Does seem very noticeable that players can easily go by him now but that might be down to the turning part when back facing goal. 

Straight stuff was fine for me, was always just the sudden turns or changes of direction, even at walking speed. Putting strain on the ligament. Once Beni gets going he looks fine. There was one last week, Shinnie went past him, but over 20 yards once he fully got going, he nipped in and won the ball back. 

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Straight stuff was fine for me, was always just the sudden turns or changes of direction, even at walking speed. Putting strain on the ligament. Once Beni gets going he looks fine. There was one last week, Shinnie went past him, but over 20 yards once he fully got going, he nipped in and won the ball back. 

I was thinking of the Rangers goal at Tynie when Tavernier went past him like he wasn’t there.  Can’t remember if that involved him having to turn then run (more than likely as it was deep in the Rangers half).  I also can’t remember if this was an issue pre his ACL injury.  We’re all probably a bit guilty of being starry eyed about his pre injury performances but maybe the reality is that’s a weakness that has always been there and more exposed without Devlin covering back. 

gordiegords

I thought there was folk on here saying he wanted to and is going to leave? 😆

be delighted if beni extends, taking time to get back to full fitness but you can see the quality that he is.

hhgh.

Edited by gordiegords

Valois No1

I’ve got to admit I’m not a huge fan of Benis. Terrible range of passing, can’t run, slow, can’t head the ball doesn’t score. 

He is good at being in the right place at the right time and is fairly tidy on the ball but I expect more from a midfielder. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Was there any more word if we’ve signed that lad Philips on a pre from st Johnstone? IMO Beni may leave if he comes in 

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was there any more word if we’ve signed that lad Philips on a pre from st Johnstone? IMO Beni may leave if he comes in 

Why? the pair could easily play alongside eachother. Folk think Beni and Devlin were brilliant in the middle and I think Phillips would be an upgrade on Devlin so not sure this would be enough to make Beni want to leave.

Also I think Beni has plenty confidence in his own ability without worrying about someone else coming in. There's going to be competition in each position regardless.

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

I’ve got to admit I’m not a huge fan of Benis. Terrible range of passing, can’t run, slow, can’t head the ball doesn’t score. 

He is good at being in the right place at the right time and is fairly tidy on the ball but I expect more from a midfielder. 

😂

Valois No1
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

😂

That’s when you know you have the happy clappers. Add zero value to the debate because they can’t. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

That’s when you know you have the happy clappers. Add zero value to the debate because they can’t. 

I'm the furthest thing from a happy clapper, believe me. 

You gave a list of supposed flaws, then went onto detail what he's good at, which is exactly what is needed for the position he plays 😂

Shanks is shite at defending, slide tackles, blocking shots at goal......but he's good at scoring headers, volleys and shots. 

Valois No1
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

I'm the furthest thing from a happy clapper, believe me. 

You gave a list of supposed flaws, then went onto detail what he's good at, which is exactly what is needed for the position he plays 😂

Shanks is shite at defending, slide tackles, blocking shots at goal......but he's good at scoring headers, volleys and shots. 

I’m 6 ft 8 mate. I have some great attributes for a keeper but guess what, I’m still not good enough. For me a midfielder should be able to do more than stand in the right place and have decent ball control. 

I’ll say it again. He’s slow. He can’t score goals. He can’t head a ball. He’s not good at dribbling with the ball. He’s not good at set pieces. Apart from all that he’s class. 

rudi must stay

Beni is a quality player those saying hes slow he plays at his own pace his decision making is good. If we want to challenge the Old Firm Beni is crucial 

Edited by rudi must stay

• davemclaren changed the title to Beni Baningime ( merged )