Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

33 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Or sell Shankland and build more hotels!

Might be able to open a hotel on Easter Road soon

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

The next level for us is to cement ourselves as the 3rd best and stay there.

We're getting there, 3rd, 4th, 3rd....

39 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I think we may need to seriuosly consider out of box solutions to this. 1978 first season ticket. I have watched plenty Maroon. I wont see his likes again. The club finances wont have a ball and chain on them then. 

I wasnt really in the whatever it takes gang until recently. The derby, the last 2 games alone...this guys needs to be treated as a one off, with appropriate response.

Yep. There are times to be conservative and restrained. I think provided it will not endanger the clubs financial health, we should be making every effort to retain him. A great time for any benefactors to step forward, or to re-direct some FOH subs. 

I don't want to be sitting here in 18 months time gutted the club didn't want to stretch that little bit more. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yep. There are times to be conservative and restrained. I think provided it will not endanger the clubs financial health, we should be making every effort to retain him. A great time for any benefactors to step forward, or to re-direct some FOH subs. 

I don't want to be sitting here in 18 months time gutted the club didn't want to stretch that little bit more. 

Maybe Shankland doesn't want to extend and stay with us, no matter what.

I think folk need to acknowledge this may be the case.

Maybe he wants to play for a certain club or move league and where we offer £10, £12, £15 or £20k a week it doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe he wants to play for a certain club or move league and where we offer £10, £12, £15 or £20k a week it doesn't matter.

Course, that could always be the case. Just a feeling, but I think he wants to stay in Scotland, and that utter circus over January was his agents attempts to try and get Rangers to make a bid/ gauge their interest. 

The tone of things from Shankland and the club seems to be discussions to continue at a later date, so I'm sure we'll find out over the summer. I don't imagine the club will be prepared to enter next season without a clear idea of Shanklands plans. 

Bungalow Bill

If he did want £20K a week, honestly just give it to him. We’d survive and probably even thrive. Having someone score goals is what makes football enjoyable. We’ll wait a long time for his like again. 

Watt-Zeefuik

I heard it at Greggs* this morning that Naismith has told Shankland if we finish second, he gets a £1m signing bonus on a new contract.

* No they don't have them here, I flew over to the UK just for a coffee and a breakfast sandwich then came home

Berrassobad
3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Totally disagree with the bit in bold.  John Robertson was instrumental in taking us from a yoyo relegation team to 7 minutes from the league title.  That is a jump of quite a few levels.

totally disagree with this - he was part of the best TEAM ive ever seen in maroon

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was 1 of the above, unfit. Folk who know about fitness observed that fact, and then piss taker trolls came up with all the “fat” hyperbole. Folk did not mean he was obese, just a few lb’s over where he needed to be. A small, marginal amount.

But those small margins did in fact make a massive difference: He went 7 league games without a goal, including the entire month of September, up until his goals against the OF in defeats at the end of October, after the internationals. It was a 100% valid criticism at the time. It also arguably cost him a possible place in that October Scotland squad. 

Has he lost weight?

Maybe it was just form, new manger, new system, a few new players?

I could bump the Shankland thread, it was more than just a few observations.

A_A wehatethehibs
40 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Has he lost weight?

Maybe it was just form, new manger, new system, a few new players?

I could bump the Shankland thread, it was more than just a few observations.

I think he did start to look a lot leaner around late October into November. But that’s just eyeballing him as a fan, I’ve  not seen his weight graph. Form goes hand in hand with physical condition / athletic performance. 

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It all comes down to what his motivation for a move is. If it’s financial then the club must consider an offer which would match his financial ambitions. His value to the club is huge, not only that his goals contribute massively to our income from various competitions but his commercial value to the club must be higher than any player since Skacel. 

If he wants to win silverware plus cash then his options are seriously limited to Glasgow or some smaller league outside the UK. If it’s Glasgow he wants then he’s likely to be here for 18 months as we’ve not reason to sell on the cheap and Rangers don’t have the money and Celtic won’t spend theres on Shankland. 

He’s what 28/29 he could do very well staying here. 

Watt-Zeefuik
34 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think he did start to look a lot leaner around late October into November. But that’s just eyeballing him as a fan, I’ve  not seen his weight graph. Form goes hand in hand with physical condition / athletic performance. 

He hit a dry spell in the league but that was after scoring three goals in four games in Europe, plus another goal against Partick in the LC. Combined with league games he'd scored 5 goals in 6 games from August 5 to August 24th, a span of just 19 days. Most of those games he played the full 90.

His "dry spell" started 27 August and ran 9 games through 7 October, including the LC win over Killie and the away loss to PAOK. Notably none of the team looked very good during that stretch.

Following the international break where we can presume he got some very well-needed rest, Shanks scored in the home loss to Celtic on 22 October and has scored in every competitive match we've played since then (an 18 game stretch including the semifinal), bar 3.

Was he unfit in August when he scored 5 from 6? Did he spring to insurmountable fitness in late October?

Looks to me like he got run a bit ragged with our early season fixture pileup and it took him a bit to recover.

(Bit above is in bold not because it makes a particular point, I just find it absolutely mind-blowing.)

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

LarrysRightFoot

I think his next goal will be the 200th of his career. Ok he’s not spent his whole career in the top fight but it’ll still be some achievement. 

skacel103
3 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

He hit a dry spell in the league but that was after scoring three goals in four games in Europe, plus another goal against Partick in the LC. Combined with league games he'd scored 5 goals in 6 games from August 5 to August 24th, a span of just 19 days. Most of those games he played the full 90.

His "dry spell" started 27 August and ran 9 games through 7 October, including the LC win over Killie and the away loss to PAOK. Notably none of the team looked very good during that stretch.

Following the international break where we can presume he got some very well-needed rest, Shanks scored in the home loss to Celtic on 22 October and has scored in every competitive match we've played since then (an 18 game stretch including the semifinal), bar 3.

Was he unfit in August when he scored 5 from 6? Did he spring to insurmountable fitness in late October?

Looks to me like he got run a bit ragged with our early season fixture pileup and it took him a bit to recover.

(Bit above is in bold not because it makes a particular point, I just find it absolutely mind-blowing.)

I was told in the summer he had less time off compared to everybody else. Was with scotland camp and came back to club training early. The break around October he went on a holiday abroad with his family. Dunno if he was maybe trying too hard and burnt himself out. When he came back he was a different player. 

Edited by skacel103

feedthefox
9 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd wager Rangers have told him they will come for him again in the summer and be able to get him for £1-1.5m (£2m at most), provided he doesn't sign an extension they will then give him a decent signing on fee.

Hope I'm wrong and might well be but if Rangers win league then Champions League is on horizon and surely that is the pinnacle for any footballer.

jambo mark
2 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

I'd wager Rangers have told him they will come for him again in the summer and be able to get him for £1-1.5m (£2m at most), provided he doesn't sign an extension they will then give him a decent signing on fee.

Hope I'm wrong and might well be but if Rangers win league then Champions League is on horizon and surely that is the pinnacle for any footballer.

They can go whistle! £5m or GTF regardless of 1 year left

43 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Absolutely this ⬆️

Arthur Morgan

I just feel if he was going to sign a new contract, he would have done it by now. I just get the feeling he won't :(

Stupid Sexy Flanders
5 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Why would Hearts choose to sell him for £1.5m? 

I think the thing with Shankland may come down to more than money, though he will want as much as possible of that too. He's a professional footballer not a fan, he grew up dreaming of being a professional footballer and no doubt dreaming of winning major trophies.

This is what drove Harry Kane out to Bayern, he already has more money than he could ever need and is still on a great wage, but he hasn't won a major trophy and that obviously irks him. That has to be in some form a motivation of Shankland too.

If he stays in Scottish football it will only be at the OF, it's known his preferred choice would be Rangers but if they didn't come in and Celtic did he would go there too, because he's a professional. And Scottish football is probably the only place he can have a chance of winning a major trophy or two.

If neither came in but say an English championship side did offering a million a year plus he would accept it because the financial future of his family comes before boyhood dreams of winning trophies.

I'm beginning to think Rangers may not come in for him because though I think they're going to be looking for a striker. If they can make CL I can see them spending up to 10 million on a young striker who wants to showcase himself in the CL, while Rangers on their will also want to showcase him for the eventual sell on. 

The OF while operating at a different level financially are still effectively shop windows for English football. I think it's this season new CL prize money kicks in amounting to something like a minimum £50 million just for being in a group, and impressive amounts for points.  

Shankland will be 29 this summer, will have a declining sell on value and neither half of the OF would pay anything like the 5 million being bandied around here, and neither would any English championship side for a 29 year old mostly unproven outside Scottish football.

As I said I think if Rangers make CL they will go big for a young striker. Because if they want to make any headway in the CL they have to, and make a good investment which they will definitely want too. With a windfall like they might at a stretch also offer a million or something more for Shankland to have further striking options. But no more than that and Celtic who I think would also sign him would be similar.

If offers were deemed to be insufficient he can be held till the end of his contract when he will be 30, and could probably still make a million  a year somewhere in England as a free agent. But if an offer comes in, whether it be deemed insufficient or not and he wants to go, holding him would be problematic.

I expect he would be professional about it, but it's far from ideal.

Clerry Jambo

Personally hope shanks stays until end of contract but suspect Hearts will get a good bid in the summer and he will be off.

Meanwhile we need to be looking for the best replacement we can afford

Edited by Clerry Jambo

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

a rather large obvious question. 🤣

Finlay James

I’ve no idea if he’s staying or not beyond the summer or the conclusion of his current contract but I’m certainly enjoying us having him here for now as he is a once in a generation striker.

How do you replace him if he leaves?  He isn’t just a goal scorer but an all round superb footballer who makes that game look easy.  Naisy will have his thoughts and potential targets and It will be fascinating to see how the club reacts if/when he does leave.

7 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Hearts aren’t selling him for 1 million 🤣🤣

7 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Let me put your mind at rest and save you sitting there with your fingers crossed. You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. Sleep easy. 

Hearts_fan
8 hours ago, jambo mark said:

100% this.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Unfortunately I can see this playing out.

I'd go for £2-£3m if Shankland indicates he wants to go.

Although,  I'm not 100% f Rangers will want him.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

The simple answer is that the player says he wants to leave and is now unhappy at Hearts. 

Everyone seems to disregard Shankland when discussing keeping him or holding out for big fees.

If he openly state's he wants to move- we're in a bad position. 

I'd say £2-£3m tho in the summer, £1-£1.5m is low.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think the thing with Shankland may come down to more than money, though he will want as much as possible of that too. He's a professional footballer not a fan, he grew up dreaming of being a professional footballer and no doubt dreaming of winning major trophies.

This is what drove Harry Kane out to Bayern, he already has more money than he could ever need and is still on a great wage, but he hasn't won a major trophy and that obviously irks him. That has to be in some form a motivation of Shankland too.

If he stays in Scottish football it will only be at the OF, it's known his preferred choice would be Rangers but if they didn't come in and Celtic did he would go there too, because he's a professional. And Scottish football is probably the only place he can have a chance of winning a major trophy or two.

If neither came in but say an English championship side did offering a million a year plus he would accept it because the financial future of his family comes before boyhood dreams of winning trophies.

I'm beginning to think Rangers may not come in for him because though I think they're going to be looking for a striker. If they can make CL I can see them spending up to 10 million on a young striker who wants to showcase himself in the CL, while Rangers on their will also want to showcase him for the eventual sell on. 

The OF while operating at a different level financially are still effectively shop windows for English football. I think it's this season new CL prize money kicks in amounting to something like a minimum £50 million just for being in a group, and impressive amounts for points.  

Shankland will be 29 this summer, will have a declining sell on value and neither half of the OF would pay anything like the 5 million being bandied around here, and neither would any English championship side for a 29 year old mostly unproven outside Scottish football.

As I said I think if Rangers make CL they will go big for a young striker. Because if they want to make any headway in the CL they have to, and make a good investment which they will definitely want too. With a windfall like they might at a stretch also offer a million or something more for Shankland to have further striking options. But no more than that and Celtic who I think would also sign him would be similar.

If offers were deemed to be insufficient he can be held till the end of his contract when he will be 30, and could probably still make a million  a year somewhere in England as a free agent. But if an offer comes in, whether it be deemed insufficient or not and he wants to go, holding him would be problematic.

Makes sense.

I really hope he doesn't go to Ranger's.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Give him 500k for every year he extends up to a max of 3 years 

14 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He looks the same to me.

He's probably a bit fitter and has more match fitness now v the summer, every player will. 

His body shape looks the same, he always looks like he's carrying a bit timber around the middle,  just like Halkett does with his ass.

But they aren't,  it's just his body shape.

14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The simple answer is that the player says he wants to leave and is now unhappy at Hearts. 

Everyone seems to disregard Shankland when discussing keeping him or holding out for big fees.

John Souttar wanted to go to Rangers. We stuck to our guns.  You’re making assumptions about Shankland with based on his actions so far no justification. I’m pretty certain all relevant parties will be aware that if he wants leave, which we aren’t sure he does it will be on our terms and valuation. 

Jim Panzee
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He looks the same to me.

He's probably a bit fitter and has more match fitness now v the summer, every player will. 

His body shape looks the same, he always looks like he's carrying a bit timber around the middle,  just like Halkett does with his ass.

But they aren't,  it's just his body shape.

is the correct answer. time to dust these pics off once again:

shanks when he doesn't score for a few games:

IMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.6453c66f47e6205d109bcf9014395378.jpeg

And a picture of shanks - mere minutes later - when he does score:

IMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.ff4663ad9714ba53f839626c510aabf5.jpeg

Mikey1874

I know not everyone has Hearts Standard, but its more about whether he would stay to break Robbo's records.

Watt-Zeefuik

We got £1m for Osman Sow with 6 months on his contract like 7 years ago.

There is no way in 2024 we are selling Lawrence Shankland with 12 months on his contract for £1.5 million. None. It doesn't matter if he's hanging out the window with a Rangers scarf saying, "save me, save me!" We're not selling him for £1.5m.

£4-4.5m is his value in the summer right now, I'd say. Next January £1.5-2m might do it.

Valois No1
8 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

We got £1m for Osman Sow with 6 months on his contract like 7 years ago.

There is no way in 2024 we are selling Lawrence Shankland with 12 months on his contract for £1.5 million. None. It doesn't matter if he's hanging out the window with a Rangers scarf saying, "save me, save me!" We're not selling him for £1.5m.

£4-4.5m is his value in the summer right now, I'd say. Next January £1.5-2m might do it.

Whilst I hope and pray he signs a new deal I don’t think he will meaning I do think the club will sell. I hope you’re right on the 4m or more but think we would settle for 3m. As said hope you are right. 

6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd sooner let him see his contract out than sell him for a couple million. 

Geddyalexneil

The interview in the Hearts Standard is good. I think he can see opportunities here, breaking records etc.

I like that Robbo is keeping in contact with him. Hopefully the wee man can talk him into staying!

23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Exactly , and all this chat about him dictating that he is sold is getting a bit tedious tbh

Gimme an H...
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Exactly , and all this chat about him dictating that he is sold is getting a bit tedious tbh

Anyone with half a brain can see from the outside that keeping him until the end of his contract (even against his will) is what's best for Hearts - presuming that he remains professional himself and keeps performing.

B4 Part B
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I know not everyone has Hearts Standard, but its more about whether he would stay to break Robbo's records.

Thought the after match interview they posted with Shanks was interesting.

Also, I can't remember the details of the goals or goal records he was breaking but the way he copied Robbo's celebration (was it at Easter Road?), and the way he copied Rudi's celebration (at Dens?), says to me he's totally bought into the club, aware of how these guys are treated as legends, and has an eye on making himself part of that club.

Not saying anything about that meaning he signs a new contract or not, but I think it's undeniable he's loving his football right now, loving the club, and those bits will be part of the thought process for him.

Pans Jambo
6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

When did he say this? I watched an interview with him recently where he said exactly the opposite.

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Can't find anything wrong in what you say.  Very sensible post. 👍

5 minutes ago, B4 Part B said:

Thought the after match interview they posted with Shanks was interesting.

Also, I can't remember the details of the goals or goal records he was breaking but the way he copied Robbo's celebration (was it at Easter Road?), and the way he copied Rudi's celebration (at Dens?), says to me he's totally bought into the club, aware of how these guys are treated as legends, and has an eye on making himself part of that club.

Not saying anything about that meaning he signs a new contract or not, but I think it's undeniable he's loving his football right now, loving the club, and those bits will be part of the thought process for him.

I actually think he might be a bit of a Hearts supporter . Obviously he is a known Rangers supporter as many have said , but I think he has a great fondness for Hearts at the very least . I am weirdly more confident that he might even sign an extension 

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

When did he say this? I watched an interview with him recently where he said exactly the opposite.

Giving BRB the benefit of the doubt here but I think what he meant to saw was “ if “ . I still do not agree with him though 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Never said he did, read the question I answered!

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Me too, but neither of us will have a say, be between him and the club.

Pans Jambo
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

OK. Just read like that.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Your sentence was definitely missing an "If", that would have made it clearer. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)