Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

21 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He's an attention seeker.

😀😀. He's been slagged off constantly on here for being the invisible man.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

soonbe110
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It’s a tough call to make. Do we cash in this summer, use the money from the sale

to bring in a replacement who will be more long term? Or go with Shankland for the season and allow go for free the following summer?

I can see the dilemma tbh. Personally I want him to stay out, even if that means him going next summer for nothing. 

Yep, it’s unsettling for all involved.  Hopefully doesn’t affect form for next few months. I would love him to stay as well and sign a new contact however if there are clubs after him willing to pay the market rate then I’d let him go in the summer assuming he wants to.  If we are tarred as a club that stand in the way of players development then it’s not a good look for future potential signings. Age, injury, loss of form are all factors as well. 

Valois No1

If he’s not going to sign then I’d defo sell. As mentioned Europe next season isn’t a guarantee with third place and if we could get decent cash for Shanks coupled with the cash from Europe then we would have the biggest transfer kitty in the clubs history. Sign a replacement for Shanks (difficult task I know) and a quality midfielder and I genuinely think we would have a team that old firm would be looking at and say this isn’t going to be as easy as it has been. 

If he’s not going to sign and no offer meets our valuation then he stays and goes as a free next summer 

Valois No1
4 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

If he’s not going to sign and no offer meets our valuation then he stays and goes as a free next summer 

Out of interest what would you think is an acceptable bid. For me I’d start talking at 2.5m looking for probably 3.5. Would accept 3m. Add that to the European money and we have the biggest transfer budget in our history. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

He will be only six months away from signing a pre-contract, he will want to go, makes it tough to stand in his way.  
Now that he is back on pens  he is pretty much guaranteed to get 30 this season with anything between 14 and 18 games left yet no-one was interested in January. 

No one was interested as we wanted about £5m, no one was every going to pay that outside a random Saudi club.

In the summer, if he's not extended,  I'm gonna say that he'll tell the club he wants to leave and coupled with a year left on his contract and with us having a summer to recruit we'll sell.

I'm gonna say £2-£3m if that plays out.

However, hopefully he extends and stays with us.

Valois No1
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

No one was interested as we wanted about £5m, no one was every going to pay that outside a random Saudi club.

In the summer, if he's not extended,  I'm gonna say that he'll tell the club he wants to leave and coupled with a year left on his contract and with us having a summer to recruit we'll sell.

We finally agree on something Bazza 🤣

8 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Out of interest what would you think is an acceptable bid. For me I’d start talking at 2.5m looking for probably 3.5. Would accept 3m. Add that to the European money and we have the biggest transfer budget in our history. 

3 million no less. Thing is we won’t have all that money going towards the transfer budget .  I would rather we kept him until his contract ends and he goes as a free . 

Japan Jambo
On 04/02/2024 at 09:59, vegas-voss said:

Peter Grant basically said no disrespect to Hearts but he shouldn't be there with the goals he scores 

He should feel free to offer his advice to the Celtic recruitment team, judging by their fans protests they could use a steer from a leg-end like himself 🤣

Mr Rabbit
24 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

This for me. The money we get for him in the summer doesn’t offer better value than keeping him IMO.

We’re more likely to win games in Europe with him and get a higher league position. The money we would receive from that would be more than any bid I think we would receive. 

cosanostra
13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That's probably a fair amount. If he leaves, I just hope it's not to the Huns. 

I don't think he does want to leave.  He will wait to summer and discuss a new deal.  If someone comes in for him and its a good deal he will go but don't think he ask for transfer.

1 minute ago, Mr Rabbit said:

This for me. The money we get for him in the summer doesn’t offer better value than keeping him IMO.

We’re more likely to win games in Europe with him and get a higher league position. The money we would receive from that would be more than any bid I think we would receive. 

Yep he’s worth more to us than any money to be honest . 

With him leading the line next season and some quality additions we have a great chance for silverware 

We moan about the SFA/SPFL undervaluing our game and then go and do it ourselves.

2-3 million for a 30 goals a season striker? No chance.

Will that money materially change our path? No. Another 3rd place would be worth a lot more to the club in the long run.

We need to stop capping our ambition and aiming so low imo.

We've finally got a top drawer goalscorer at our level and rather than get that benefit on the pitch folk want Chicken feed added to the P+L instead 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Taffin

Mr Rabbit
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

We moan about the SFA/SPFL undervaluing our game and then go and do it ourselves.

Will that money materially change our path? No. Another 3rd place would be worth a lot more to the club in the long run.

I think the club did that during that window though.

I would hope it would be the same in the summer. However what the fans think is realistic is another thing. Just because we think he should go for a lot more doesn’t mean that’s what clubs will value him at.

tartofmidlothian
22 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If we removed his goals I believe we'd be 13 points worse off.

Dundee +3

Motherwell +3

Ross County +2

Livingston +1

Hibs +1

St Johnstone +1

Kilmarnock 33

Hearts 32

St Mirren 32

Dundee 29

Hibs 27

Aberdeen 25

St Johnstone 25

Motherwell 25

Ross County 21

Livingston 14

That's not too bad, considering we'd have another first-choice striker in there scoring a few goals instead.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, tartofmidlothian said:

That's not too bad, considering we'd have another first-choice striker in there scoring a few goals instead.

Oh no, we'd be starting games with 10 men don't you know :rofl:

AlimOzturk
3 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Yep. Boyce would fill in for Shanklands hold up play whilst we would hopefully have a nippy, Josh Ginelly type scoring goals as well 

We wouldn’t be as effective but I reckon we would still be good enough for third. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

5 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Yep, every chance we would still be 3rd. All pretty irrelevant though. 

People now valuing him at £2-3m now though.

:cornette:

tartofmidlothian
43 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Still 5m and up. If we make third place we have our best shot in Europe with him in the squad, we're a much better team than in 21/22.

If we go out before Christmas, the question is do we cash in for half a million or so in January, or do we keep him until summer? I'd rather have the goals than the money.

Valois No1
12 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Still 5m and up. If we make third place we have our best shot in Europe with him in the squad, we're a much better team than in 21/22.

If we go out before Christmas, the question is do we cash in for half a million or so in January, or do we keep him until summer? I'd rather have the goals than the money.

Hmmmmm yeah I see your point. It’s a tough one all round really. Up to the club to take everything into account to maximise the revenue one way or another. 

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We've finally got a top drawer goalscorer at our level and rather than get that benefit on the pitch folk want Chicken feed added to the P+L instead 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's all made up. No one is doing any of that.

The key is if he's not extended and he wants to leave and ofc there us a bid.

If that aligns then I reckon we are doing business at around £3m, maybe less.

No one wants him to leave, everyone wants  him to stay but most know that Shankland may have other ideas and by not extending especially in the summer he'd have  given a clear indication that his long term future is not with Hearts. 

You just can't ignore that because you want him to stay. 

The club won't ignore it.

Fozzyonthefence
37 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Yeah that’s interesting that we would still be challenging for 3rd or even still 3rd.  As you say, we’d have another striker rather than playing with 10 men.  But a fit Boyce playing all the time would maybe have managed 4 or 5 goals rather than Shankland’s 20, or maybe Vargas could do a job there.  

One thing for sure, neither of them would be scoring the worldies and half chances that Shanks has been doing regularly this season.  He’s been feeding off scraps a bit like Miovsky at Aberdeen. 

Fozzyonthefence
37 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Yep, every chance we would still be 3rd. All pretty irrelevant though. 

People now valuing him at £2-3m now though.

:cornette:

It doesn’t matter what we value him at.  He can only be sold for whatever a club is willing to pay.  I’d be amazed if we got over £3m in the summer for him, really can’t see that happening.  We only got £1.5m for a teenage Hickey with a year left on his contract, the best outfield player we have produced for decades.  Shankland is 28.  

I can’t see him extending his contract and if not, I’d rather see him stay for the next 18 months but I think most likely scenario is the club will look to sell in the summer and he will look to move on.  Have to say though, he does seem to be enjoying his football a lot more than he was at the start of the season.  His body language is night and day. 

21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That's all made up. No one is doing any of that.

The key is if he's not extended and he wants to leave and ofc there us a bid.

If that aligns then I reckon we are doing business at around £3m, maybe less.

No one wants him to leave, everyone wants  him to stay but most know that Shankland may have other ideas and by not extending especially in the summer he'd have  given a clear indication that his long term future is not with Hearts. 

You just can't ignore that because you want him to stay. 

The club won't ignore it.

Nobody has said that...goes on to say just that.

Keep him, he's worth more to us that 2 or 3 million quid.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Taffin said:

Nobody has said that...goes on to say just that.

Keep him, he's worth more to us that 2 or 3 million quid.

You said folk are more concerned with p &l than keeping the player.

No one is. We all want him to stay and extend. 

Your last sentence ignores what Shankland wants, you need to re- read my post. 

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

And yet words and words on selling him.

I'll happily enjoy him next season if that's all we get from him.

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shankland wanted to sign a deal with us. It's still in place and is for another season after this. Anything is supposition.

Wee club mentality. "Please Sir, give us some buttons we can fritter away on nothing much".

The club seems to have a bit more balls about them so far in this situation which is nice to see.

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

No one really knows what Shankland wants 

He could just as likely be happy to see out his contract than instigate a move elsewhere 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

He could just as likely be happy to see out his contract than instigate a move elsewhere 

Yip, he could that's why I said -

If he doesn't extend, if he wants to move and if a club actually bid for him we'll imo sell for around £3m, maybe less.

I couldn't have been clearer in my original post.

If none of that happens then ofc he'll stay.

We also know he doesn't want to extend atm.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, Valois No1 said:

Tin pot 1990s money that buys us not even close to the quality we’d lose.

I’d keep at that price and let him go on a free, summer 2025 

Then see you back here in 40 years time, the next time we get a striker this good 

A_A wehatethehibs
30 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fact is, prior to summer 2025, it really genuinely does not matter.

He is contractually obligated to play for Hearts until summer 2025.

There’s no way around that. Absolutely locked down. There’s zero frame work or possibility to engineer any sort of move before then. It’s 100% the choice of the club. 

And that’s why Bosman exists for players.

Lawrence wants a move? He absolutely is free to make one. In summer 2025, not 1 minute before.

That’s the way it is for players. If you’re under contract and your club doesn’t want to sell you, you are going nowhere. That’s the way it is.

Then you’ve got your freedom of contract to make your moves when that time comes and the club gets nothing. As happened with John Souttar who, wanted his move in January. In your view Hearts treated him like shite I suppose? Because we refused to grant his wishes? Hearts said no, so he went in summer. That’s the way it is for players. They have no control if a move happens until they are out of contract. Lawrence is not out of contract. 

And for tin pot money of £3m, might as well keep, and let him go on a free as that’s chump change 1990s money that will buy a us… some washed up championship striker. Great we’ve signed McBurnie or someone. **** that. Keep Lawrence here if it’s these tin pot sums 

Barry Radge
11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

There’s no way around that. Absolutely locked down. There’s zero frame work or possibility to engineer any sort of move before then. It’s 100% the choice of the club. 

Lawrence wants a move? He absolutely is free to make one. In summer 2025, not 1 minute before.

That’s the way it is for players. If you’re under contract and your club doesn’t want to sell you, you are going nowhere. That’s the way it is.

Then you’ve got your freedom of contract to make your moves when that time comes and the club gets nothing. As happened with John Souttar who, wanted his move in January. In your view Hearts treated him like shite I suppose? Because we refused to grant his wishes? Hearts said no, so he went in summer. That’s the way it is for players. They have no control if a move happens until they are out of contract. Lawrence is not out of contract. 

And for tin pot money of £3m, might as well keep, and let him go on a free as that’s chump change 1990s money that will buy a us… some washed up championship striker. Great we’ve signed McBurnie or someone. **** that. Keep Lawrence here if it’s these tin pot sums 

Excellent post sums it up well. Anyone offering less than £7m should be told to bolt. His performances at the Euros could attract some realistic offers from England etc.

tartofmidlothian
43 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

I'm no football agent, but when a club signs a valuable player on a Bosman free, are they not more likely to splash more cash on a signing-on fee? So if he goes next summer he might be in for a hefty payday.

In that scenario it's us who miss out on money, but if Shankland helps us get third this season and next, earns us a few points in next season's Euro groups and gave us our best shot at winning a cup for a while, then we can do without the three or four million quid. Especially if Cochrane goes for two.

N Lincs Jambo
20 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Spot on in every aspect!

tartofmidlothian
4 minutes ago, Barry Radge said:

Excellent post sums it up well. Anyone offering less than £7m should be told to bolt. His performances at the Euros could attract some realistic offers from England etc.

Yeah, that's the exception to my post above - if a team in England or elsewhere come in with genuine cash to spend after the Euros, then seven or eight million is hard to turn down.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It doesn’t matter what we value him at.  He can only be sold for whatever a club is willing to pay.  I’d be amazed if we got over £3m in the summer for him, really can’t see that happening.  We only got £1.5m for a teenage Hickey with a year left on his contract, the best outfield player we have produced for decades.  Shankland is 28.  

I can’t see him extending his contract and if not, I’d rather see him stay for the next 18 months but I think most likely scenario is the club will look to sell in the summer and he will look to move on.  Have to say though, he does seem to be enjoying his football a lot more than he was at the start of the season.  His body language is night and day. 

Jamie Vardy is 37 and still banging them in for Leicester just saying 

Fxxx the SPFL
44 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Totally correct he’s our player until 2025 the balls in our court

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don't disagree in general, but imo if he doesn't extend, we get a " reasonable " bid and he wants to go - a deal will be done.

I reckon under those circumstances it will be around £3m, maybe a smudge less.

We won't be knock  back reasonable bids and forcing him to stay if that plays out.

You think we we will and should, I don't think we will or should tbh.

Time will tell. 

atm there are no bids and he's happy to stay.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

:spoton:

Great post. The club holds all the cards here nothing has changed. He isn’t suddenly worth half or less his value to us just because he has 12 months left instead of 18. He is our captain and top scorer, that hasn’t changed so clubs will meet our valuation or he stays. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I don't disagree in general, but imo if he doesn't extend, we get a " reasonable " bid and he wants to go - a deal will be done.

I reckon under those circumstances it will be around £3m, maybe a smudge less.

We won't be knock  back reasonable bids and forcing him to stay if that plays out.

You think we we will and should, I don't think we will or should tbh.

Time will tell. 

atm there are no bids and he's happy to stay.

If we get European group stage football and £3 million for shanks with a year left on contract that'll be brilliant business with upwards of £6 million for finishing 3rd and qualifying for group stage European football along as us or old firm win cup plus £3 million for player

A_A wehatethehibs
19 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If we get European group stage football and £3 million for shanks with a year left on contract that'll be brilliant business with upwards of £6 million for finishing 3rd and qualifying for group stage European football along as us or old firm win cup plus £3 million for player

We would need a US Navy sized war chest to have any hope of replacing Lawrence, not £3m. 

Take that other £3m from Europe and strengthen other areas, strengthen the support act for Lawrence at #9, build the whole team around him and throw the kitchen sink at season 24-25. 

We are never getting near Rangers and Celtic without a player like Lawrence up front. I would go all in on Lawrence at #9 for that 3rd and final season 24-25, not interested in £3m type sums. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Jamie Vardy is 37 and still banging them in for Leicester just saying 

Vardy rarely starts for them these days. 

Fxxx the SPFL
12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Vardy rarely starts for them these days. 

Been injured I believe scored last week I think 

Ibrahim Tall
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

£20k per week. 

Tbh as an absurd a wage as it sounds for us, 20k pw works out to ~£1m.
If we’re talking about a replacement for Shankland, the tramps spunked around £700k for 3 goals a season Vente.. his wages are probably atleast the 5k the remainder of the million would pay for too.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)