A Concert Arena For Edinburgh?

FWJ

27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Getting to it from north of it is hampered by lack of transport.  No trams, poor bus options.

From a selfish point of view.

West Edinburgh is a cheeky 15 mins on a train on the Bathgate line,so it  its good for me.

Most of the central belt of Scotland has easy access to the west side of Edinburgh.

By Road or Train.

Makes perfect sense to build it there.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• frankblack

• davemclaren

• montgoia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Getting to it from north of it is hampered by lack of transport.  No trams, poor bus options.

Get a train to Edinburgh Gateway and a tram (3 stops) from there.  I’ve checked Perth, Dundee and Kirkcaldy - they’ve all got multiple trains to and from Ed Gateway, the last are after 11pm.

Alternatively take a train direct to South Gyle and then a 15 min walk.

For those travelling from further afield (Aberdeen etc) I’m sure - just as they do when going to concerts in Glasgow - they’ll stay overnight.

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Double Post

Edited by FWJ

56 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Get a train to Edinburgh Gateway and a tram (3 stops) from there.  I’ve checked Perth, Dundee and Kirkcaldy - they’ve all got multiple trains to and from Ed Gateway, the last are after 11pm.

Alternatively take a train direct to South Gyle and then a 15 min walk.

For those travelling from further afield (Aberdeen etc) I’m sure - just as they do when going to concerts in Glasgow - they’ll stay overnight.

I'm NW Edinburgh, not Perth.

Bus services in NW Edinburgh are shit.

51 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'm NW Edinburgh, not Perth.

Bus services in NW Edinburgh are shit.

No. 31 to N Gyle Terrace road-end and it’s a 10 minute walk to Edinburgh Gateway station.

Alternatively, since it’s not something you’ll be doing everyday, get a taxi.

It’s about a half hour walk from Glasgow Road to Edinburgh Park station. I’ve walked from the centre of Glasgow to the SECC/Hydro and back several times over the years so I would say it’s doable if the weather is ok. No 36 bus runs from the Gyle Centre past Edinburgh Park Station too. 

36 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

An 8500 seater venue should have suitable parking. Let's not pretend otherwise. The existing options may be enough.

There’s fewer than a hundred spaces outside the Hydro, the rest is in vast, usually empty, deserts of car parks on the other side of the SECC.  

As has been noted there are many options for parking close to the planned arena without it being an island in a sea of tarmac.

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Where exactly at Edinburgh park will it be?

Directly next to the Premier Inn (on the right as you look ant it) and opposite Edinburgh Park Station and tram stop.

Dennis Reynolds
9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

There’s fewer than a hundred spaces outside the Hydro, the rest is in vast, usually empty, deserts of car parks on the other side of the SECC.  

As has been noted there are many options for parking close to the planned arena without it being an island in a sea of tarmac.

The hydro has a multi storey car park attached to it?

Edited by Dennis Reynolds

12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Directly next to the Premier Inn (on the right as you look ant it) and opposite Edinburgh Park Station and tram stop.

As you look at it from the station side?

• 4 weeks later...
montgoia

I was at the second public consultation today. The photo is of the scale model of the proposed arena which is now in place on a larger scale model of all the planned developments of the remaining undeveloped area of Edinburgh Park. The arena is squeezed into a tight space but looks good.

Mr Sifter

Is it sad that I’m looking forward to one of these CGI fly around videos that usually accompanies these sort of things? 

…in fact, don’t answer that. It was a rhetorical question 😥

10 hours ago, montgoia said:

I was at the second public consultation today. The photo is of the scale model of the proposed arena which is now in place on a larger scale model of all the planned developments of the remaining undeveloped area of Edinburgh Park. The arena is squeezed into a tight space but looks good.

From the picture above it appears that almost all of that chunk of land between South Gyle Crescent and Lochside Ct is being redeveloped?

10 hours ago, montgoia said:

👍

16 hours ago, FWJ said:

Looks fantastic, can't wait for it to open.

(and then to mump and moan about the shite bands that are playing there, no doubt!)

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Looks fantastic, can't wait for it to open.

(and then to mump and moan about the shite bands that are playing there, no doubt!)

The tickets cost HOW MUCH 😬

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The tickets cost HOW MUCH 😬

😀

Given that AEG will own and operate the arena and that AEG are also one of the worlds top producers/promoters I expect that we will see a great variety of concerts, sporting events and theatrical productions etc so there should be something for just about everyone on a regular basis - they anticipate in excess of 150 events per year. The key is the flexibility of the arena ranging from 4000 all seated up for sporting events and suchlike up to 8500 capacity (seated and standing) for concerts. Productions like Disney on Ice were mentioned by the AEG rep we spoke to and sporting events such as Basketball and tennis too.

Ticket prices will be in line with similar events held in other venues I would imagine - some very expensive others more affordable depending on who or what you are going to see.

Edited by montgoia

• 3 weeks later...
Mr Sifter

Thought this thread was worth a wee bump. I stumbled across this thread on Sky Scraper City (looks a crackin wee forum to be fair) which covers the new arena. Thread seems to be full of punters who know (compared to me) their stuff. An interesting read. 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/edinburgh-park-arena-south-gyle-pre-planning.2412403/?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#replies

Edited by Mr Sifter

3 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Thought this thread was worth a wee bump. I stumbled across this thread on Sky Scraper City (looks a crackin wee forum to be fair) which covers the new arena. Thread seems to be full of punters who know (compared to me) their stuff. An interesting read. 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/edinburgh-park-arena-south-gyle-pre-planning.2412403/?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#replies

Good read. This arena will be such a boost to an area well served with transport links but hugely under-developed. As a gig goer, reducing the number of trips to Glasgow in a year will help offset the costs a bit too. 

4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Skyscraper City is great.  Loads of gen on what’s being planned / built in the city.

Byyy The Light
4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Thanks for the share. Saw the plans for the old Drummond House RBS site got approved. I’ve heard rumours of a Lido going in and all sorts, the whole area will be unrecognisable in a few years. Here’s hoping 🤞🏼 

• 3 weeks later...

Any guesses who might take the sponsorship?

I reckon Qatar (Airways) might be interested - they’re doing pretty well at the airport just now.

Mr Sifter

Can anyone point this Luddite to the application on the councils planning portal? I’ve tried looking it up myself but must be doing something wrong cos I can’t seem to find it? Cheers in advance 👍🏼👍🏼

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Can anyone point this Luddite to the application on the councils planning portal? I’ve tried looking it up myself but must be doing something wrong cos I can’t seem to find it? Cheers in advance 👍🏼👍🏼

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=S4H46UEW0XE00

On 10/01/2024 at 09:52, Ribble said:

From the picture above it appears that almost all of that chunk of land between South Gyle Crescent and Lochside Ct is being redeveloped?

I’d say so.  I walk my dug under the tunnel beneath the rail line when I’m crossing over from Bankhead into the Gyle.  

Logically, it looks like the Bankhead side will be pedestrian access from the trams and the other side will use the current road network that brings you into the back end of Edinburgh Park and the Premier Inn.  

Yes that’s correct the site of the proposed arena is bordered by the Permier Inn on the west side, Edinburgh Park station on the south side, an SPEN Electrical substation to the west and a Lloyd Banking Group carpark and undeveloped land to the north.

Edited by montgoia

crunchy frog

It will be all fine and dandy until the folk that buy flats near lochside way start complaining. Watch this space. Twats. 

On 20/02/2024 at 20:25, Pepe le pew said:

How about FOH arena 

FTH Arena sounds much better. 

On 12/12/2023 at 18:40, FWJ said:

Yes

Left hand side as you look at it from the station. No?

Footballfirst

Location of the proposed development. From top left you are looking at TK Maxx, Tram stop, Edinburgh Park railway station, with the arena within the red dotted lines. Seems to be named as the "Carlton Arena" by the planners.

image.thumb.png.2eeae63af6093dd8e433ea4ef5e403bc.png