A Concert Arena For Edinburgh?

FWJ

The new West End
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

They could get Leith Theatre up and running and should never have allowed the Picture House  to become a Wetherspoons.  Leith Theatre did run a few gigs pre pandemic but not much since.

I like venues where the band plays above crowd height unlike venues around the Cowgate where views are extremely restricted.

The Picture House should have been saved we allowed it to close as a venue with barely a whimper.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• frankblack

• davemclaren

• montgoia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, The new West End said:

The Picture House should have been saved we allowed it to close as a venue with barely a whimper.

Good venue but no truck parking and awful access for equipment. 

2 hours ago, The new West End said:

50 years ago tomorrow I saw Queen at the Playhouse as support for Mott the Hoople.  First and last time I saw a gig there. 

1 hour ago, crunchy frog said:

Why did they stop doing gigs at the playhouse? Saw many a band there in 80s/90s. 

Bouncers were absolute ***** though

They do gigs but generally only during the festival.

Its all theatre shows most of the year.

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

50 years ago tomorrow I saw Queen at the Playhouse as support for Mott the Hoople.  First and last time I saw a gig there. 

Actually that's bollox. It was the Caley!!  DOH!!!  🥸

A few comments, more to follow. 

1. I agree with the 'F-T-Weeg' remarks and let's not give the SECC too much credit for being 10,000 - it was well known they they shrank the arena to ensure all shows were sold out. This happened all the time. 

2. The capacity issue isn't a restraint - think second nights and doing Edinburgh and Glasgow on the same tour. 

3. Bit worried about the out of town aspect - for areans and stadiums, this is proving a drag on demand. Its the inerita of folks who'd rather watch Netflix that spend several hours trying to get home. But I'm out of touch with Edinburgh transport. 

4. Some work below on modelling the UK live music industry, note how revenues have swelled in ten years, but its a lop-sided boom with stadiums and festivals now making up over half of box office spend. 

I'll get more details from AEG Europe and report back here. 

image.thumb.png.aefc788421abc0c5f23b51933aa7cffb.png

Carl Fredrickson
4 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Why did they stop doing gigs at the playhouse? Saw many a band there in 80s/90s. 

I used to do first aid duty as a teenager in the 80s. I agree about the bouncers however once did protect me during a Pogues gig that got a bit mental.

More money to be made from a touring musical over a number of nights than gigs. 

9 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

I seen motorhead amd Metallica there in the late 80s. Was OK, but unfortunately there's no mosh pit type area in the playhouse.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Saw Hawkwind at the now closed Odeon on Clerk Street back in 1980. I wish that could be renovated and re-opened.

People say work has started to reopen it, hopefully  with use as a music venue.  I was too young but I know Buzzcocks + Joy Division, the Ramones, and maybe The Clash too played there.

Just now, frankblack said:

People say work has started to reopen it, hopefully  with use as a music venue.  I was too young but I know Buzzcocks + Joy Division, the Ramones, and maybe The Clash too played there.

Here's hoping

The new West End
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Was a brilliant venue

Most punk band played there 

A few beers in the Southsider or the pub near Surgeons Hall now a bookies then off to the gig.

I know Susan Boyles brother owned it recently but sure he wanted to do burlesque kinda shows

With permission, sharing these notes below from someone inside the business. Didn't know of the 2019 application. 

--------------------

Apologies for appearing to be negative, but there is a long way between the announcement of a consultative process by AEG and the projected opening of any venue in 2027.

Not least because in 2019 the NEC Group similarly announced a 8K-capacity venue (https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2019/12/03/nec-group-involved-new-edinburgh-arena-project/) but it came to nothing.

Aside from the venue location, site size, construction, and then operational access issues of an Edinburgh city centre arena there is also the local licensing regulations and the Calvinist interpretation of what is permissible or desirable.

However, I sincerely hope these obstacles can be negotiated.

--------------------

I always felt that, when thebfootball season ends, tynecastle could host a2 or 3 concerts. By doing it then, plenty time for pitch to recover for start of following season, plenty of cash in the coffers as well.

1 hour ago, the cat man said:

I always felt that, when thebfootball season ends, tynecastle could host a2 or 3 concerts. By doing it then, plenty time for pitch to recover for start of following season, plenty of cash in the coffers as well.

They are using Ingliston for outdoor gigs.  The ones you expect to play Tynie would go there.

3 hours ago, Deodato said:

With permission, sharing these notes below from someone inside the business. Didn't know of the 2019 application. 

--------------------

Apologies for appearing to be negative, but there is a long way between the announcement of a consultative process by AEG and the projected opening of any venue in 2027.

Not least because in 2019 the NEC Group similarly announced a 8K-capacity venue (https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2019/12/03/nec-group-involved-new-edinburgh-arena-project/) but it came to nothing.

Aside from the venue location, site size, construction, and then operational access issues of an Edinburgh city centre arena there is also the local licensing regulations and the Calvinist interpretation of what is permissible or desirable.

However, I sincerely hope these obstacles can be negotiated.

--------------------

Was that not the plan for Straiton (not exactly ‘close to the city centre’ as the piece claims - indeed not actually in Edinburgh…)

It would be road access only - I think the current plan at EP adjacent to trains / trams as well as motorways and indeed the airport is much better sited.

Edited by FWJ

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone on this thread attended the first public consultation on the Edinburgh Park Arena? It was worth going along to albeit there wasn’t much more information on display that isn’t on the Edinburgh park arena website other than a large scaled model of the proposed future development of Edinburgh Park with the originally planned office block and hotel on the site of the proposed arena. We were told that this will be changed for the second consultation on the 9th January and a scaled model of the new arena will be in place. What was worthwhile was the opportunity to speak to one of the AEG Development guys - summary of the main point I picked up from him below:

+ AEG are progressing a rapid expansion programme across the globe. They did a gap analysis across Europe and identified Edinburgh and Dublin as cities without an Arena. There’s a lot of issues progressing Dublin so focus is on Edinburgh in Europe. 

+ The Edinburgh Arena will be 100% financed by AEG

+ The capacity is restricted by the size of the site but AEG have identified a gap in the market for an arena with the proposed capacity of 8500.

+ The design is fully flexible incorporating various seating and standing options ranging from 3950 capacity up to 8500 so the venue can accommodate theatrical productions, ice skating shows such as Disney on Ice, sporting events, and comedy shows as well as concerts etc.

+ There is no car park in the plans but the arena will be integrated with the tram and railway stops so the design is in line with Edinburgh Council’s strategy of utilising public transport. There will also be several bike racks! 

+  The arena will have a flat floor, not banked like some venues, with the standing level being below ground level (ie below the level of the adjacent Premier Inn). There will be bars and food concessions mid level. The entrance will be from a plaza built where the current bus turning circle and station drop off area currently is. 

Personally I was a bit disappointed at first with the capacity only being 8500! However I’ve been to numerous concerts at the Ovo Hydro where the top levels have been curtained off because it hasn’t sold out so I think AEG have done their homework - they certainly own and operate enough venues around the world to have learned from experience. I would rather see an 8500 arena sold out than go to an arena that holds 13500 with less than 10000 people there! 

All in all it sounded very encouraging and certainly the plans are far more advanced than any other arena  proposals for Edinburgh.

Detailed plans are here:

https://www.edinburghparkarena.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/2023-11-30_PC-01-Banners_Rev-C_low-res.pdf

Feedback on the plans can be submitted here:

https://www.edinburghparkarena.com/feedback/

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, montgoia said:

Not sure if anyone on this thread attended the first public consultation on the Edinburgh Park Arena? It was worth going along to albeit there wasn’t much more information on display that isn’t on the Edinburgh park arena website other than a large scaled model of the proposed future development of Edinburgh Park with the originally planned office block and hotel on the site of the proposed arena. We were told that this will be changed for the second consultation on the 9th January and a scaled model of the new arena will be in place. What was worthwhile was the opportunity to speak to one of the AEG Development guys - summary of the main point I picked up from him below:

+ AEG are progressing a rapid expansion programme across the globe. They did a gap analysis across Europe and identified Edinburgh and Dublin as cities without an Arena. There’s a lot of issues progressing Dublin so focus is on Edinburgh in Europe. 

+ The capacity is restricted by the size of the site but AEG have identified a gap in the market for an arena with the proposed capacity of 8500.

+ The design is fully flexible incorporating various seating and standing options ranging from 3950 capacity up to 8500 so the venue can accommodate theatrical productions, ice skating shows such as Disney on Ice, sporting events, and comedy shows as well as concerts etc.

+ There is no car park in the plans but the arena will be integrated with the tram and railway stops so the design is in line with Edinburgh Council’s strategy of utilising public transport. There will also be several bike racks! 

+  The arena will have a flat floor, not banked like some venues, with the standing level being below ground level (ie below the level of the adjacent Premier Inn). There will be bars and food concessions mid level. The entrance will be from a plaza built where the current bus turning circle and station drop off area currently is. 

Personally I was a bit disappointed at first with the capacity only being 8500! However I’ve been to numerous concerts at the Ovo Hydro where the top levels have been curtained off because it hasn’t sold out so I think AEG have done their homework - they certainly own and operate enough venues around the world to have learned from experience. I would rather see an 8500 arena sold out than go to an arena that holds 13500 with less than 10000 people there! 

All in all it sounded very encouraging and certainly the plans are far more advanced than any other arena  proposals for Edinburgh.

Detailed plans are here:

https://www.edinburghparkarena.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/2023-11-30_PC-01-Banners_Rev-C_low-res.pdf

👍

1 hour ago, montgoia said:

Detailed plans are here:

Cheers for the update. Gonnae be watching this thread with interest. I’m excited about this project, really really hope it comes to fruition 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Montgomery Brewster
18 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Cheers for the update. Gonnae be watching this thread with interest. I’m excited about this project, really really hope it comes to fruition 🙏🏼🙏🏼

The city council will be noosed if it doesn’t !

No car park seems like a pretty major downside for this getting the go ahead. Although the council also hate cars so maybe not. 

2 hours ago, montgoia said:

Detailed plans are here:

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I'm still not convinced with the 8500 capacity, but I've said enough earlier.

Carl Fredrickson

8500 capacity is fine but doubt it would work without a car park. Are there car parks in the area that can be used?

Trams and trains may struggle to move 8500 folk. Late gigs may result in no trains being available and also if you do not live near a train station it will prolong your transport time. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

8500 capacity is fine but doubt it would work without a car park. Are there car parks in the area that can be used?

Trams and trains may struggle to move 8500 folk. Late gigs may result in no trains being available and also if you do not live near a train station it will prolong your transport time. 

With the vast majority of concerts taking place at night, there will be loads of on street parking within a 10-15 minute walk, Sighthill Ind Estate, Edinburgh Park, Gyle, Hermiston Gate P&R etc

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

With the vast majority of concerts taking place at night, there will be loads of on street parking within a 10-15 minute walk, Sighthill Ind Estate, Edinburgh Park, Gyle, Hermiston Gate P&R etc

Cheers, it is an area I am not too familiar with. 

Fantastic that there's no car parking.  Absolutely zero need and has a couple of obvious advantages.

Looking quite positive for this project.

23 hours ago, montgoia said:

Detailed plans are here:

Another 👍  thanks for the update.  

At my age (!) I don’t know if I’ll use it but it’s something the city has needed for many years.  Surely must get the go-ahead.

Agree that it doesn’t need acres of car parking.

7 hours ago, pablo said:

Fantastic that there's no car parking.  Absolutely zero need and has a couple of obvious advantages.

Looking quite positive for this project.

Zero need for car parking?! **** me

19 hours ago, jamboj said:

If it's where I'm thinking of there are 1000+ car parking spaces at Hermiston Gait with access over and under the rail line. Surely a deal could be worked out. Access is direct to the City bypass and M8 so some change in priority and green light times on the Hermison Gait roundabout traffic lights at that time of night should surely be possible 

Yes the Arena is planned for the vacant site bordered by Edinburgh Park station, the Premier in and the electricity substation. There is also the new multi story car park close to Patina in Edinburgh Park - can’t miss it as it’s bright orange! So there should be plenty of parking options. 

On 09/12/2023 at 20:09, jamboj said:

Why would you need a car park at a venue with a tram stop, train station and bus stops attached to it? 

15 minutes ago, pablo said:

Why would you need a car park at a venue with a tram stop, train station and bus stops attached to it? 

Because a lot of people don't live anywhere near a tram line, relevant train station, or relevant bus route. Obviously. This is not a city centre arena, it's out of town, next to a motorway. 

23 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Because a lot of people don't live anywhere near a tram line, relevant train station, or relevant bus route. Obviously. This is not a city centre arena, it's out of town, next to a motorway. 

So drive to the park and ride, or the train station. Or park at Hermiston Gait, the multi storey next door, the Gyle Centre and walk the 5 or 10 minutes there. No?

Carl Fredrickson
11 minutes ago, pablo said:

So drive to the park and ride, or the train station. Or park at Hermiston Gait, the multi storey next door, the Gyle Centre and walk the 5 or 10 minutes there. No?

I was unaware of the parking nearby, hence my original question on it. The venue may not need its own car park as it appears that there may be adequate parking nearby. 

If there wasnt, I wouldnt rely on trams and trains as it would not be the first time that I have went by public transport to a gig only to have issues afterwards. Relying on the last tram or train after a gig can be a risky as I have experienced. 

Dennis Reynolds

The last tram leaves Edinburgh Park at 23.01 as well. Probably not an option unless they extend the hours which I hope they do as it's handy when arriving late at the airport.

Edited by Dennis Reynolds

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, pablo said:

A lot of car drivers get a nose bleed if they have to walk any distance.

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The last tram leaves Edinburgh Park at 23.01 as well. Probably not an option unless they extend the hours which I hope they do as it's handy when arriving late at the airport.

Need to ensure that there's lots of late night transport and we're not all scrambling for the last tram to the city centre 

At present last train from Edinburgh Park to Edinburgh Waverley stopping at Haymarket is 6 past midnight.

From South Gyle to Edinburgh Waverley via Haymarket is 16 past midnight.

5 hours ago, pablo said:

Possibly. Depends on the parking restrictions at those places - if they only allow for (say) two hours, then it's a problem. But in principle, yeah fine 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

At present last train from Edinburgh Park to Edinburgh Waverley stopping at Haymarket is 6 past midnight.

From South Gyle to Edinburgh Waverley via Haymarket is 16 past midnight.

They should also make sure the last couple of Edinburgh to Glasgow trains stop off on event nights 

Edited by Dirty Deeds

I do like the idea of a venue and especially out at that side of town, but assumed it was a little more towards the Edinburgh Gateway station

No parking as mentioned, which I'm guessing they will expect folk to park at the park and ride and jump on a tram, or park at the Gyle shopping centre and walk.

Is Edinburgh Park on the Glasgow line?  Maybe via Falkirk?

It's such a random spot to pick when you look on Google maps, can;t really complain though.

24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I do like the idea of a venue and especially out at that side of town, but assumed it was a little more towards the Edinburgh Gateway station

No parking as mentioned, which I'm guessing they will expect folk to park at the park and ride and jump on a tram, or park at the Gyle shopping centre and walk.

It's such a random spot to pick when you look on Google maps, can;t really complain though.

Stirling trains stop at Edinburgh Park , Bathgate trains might do too. Glasgow trains via Falkirk High don't stop but could as they pass through Edinburgh Park.

Edinburgh Park is on the Glasgow main line but the express trains from Buchanan Street via Falkirk currently don’t stop there. You can get off and change at Falkirk or Linlithgow for a train to Edinburgh Park though. The Helensburgh-Edinburgh trains which stop underground at Buchanan Street run on the Bathgate line and do stop at Edinburgh Park. 

From Edinburgh Gateway station, which is integrated with the tram line, the proposed arena is only 3 stops on the tram and is only a 5 minute ride. 

The site of the proposed arena is currently owned by Parabola and was designated for offices and a hotel under Parabola’s planned development of Edinburgh Park. However Parabola founder Peter Millican has ‘given up’ the land and is working closely with AEG on the proposal. 

7 hours ago, Armageddon said:

The Gateway Station isn't the most accessible.  The land near it will be housing.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The Gateway Station isn't the most accessible.  The land near it will be housing.

There is a subway ftom the gyle centre to it. 

The Gateway Station was only really built to link the main east coast rail line from Aberdeen and the Fife circular line to the airport via the tram line. If the proposed arena is built then the Gateway could be used by people travelling from Fife and anywhere on the east coast mainline to get to the arena via the tram. 

Byyy The Light
10 hours ago, jamboj said:

Possibly. Depends on the parking restrictions at those places - if they only allow for (say) two hours, then it's a problem. But in principle, yeah fine 

There is free on street parking all over Edinburgh Park and tens of huge office blocks all with massive car parks that will be empty. Sighthill industrial estate (5 mins walk) is all free on street. Parking is not in any way an issue.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

There is a subway ftom the gyle centre to it. 

Getting to it from north of it is hampered by lack of transport.  No trams, poor bus options.