Would you have confidence in board getting next managerial appointment right.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Would you have confidence in the current board getting next managerial decision right?  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have confidence in the current board getting next managerial appointment right?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/11/23 at 13:33

1 minute ago, mikey51 said:

Op has made his point in numerous posts! 

He doesn't like the set up, manager or board.

So what do we do sack everyone and start again? 

Buy some expensive has beens and maybe get a cup semi final? A 3rd place finish. Then we need to buy more expensive has beens and do it again and again? 

Or 

Wait it out with Naismith and the current crop of young talented players we have in the hope they grow together. We could keep adding some new talented players. Maybe a Kent as a more experienced one now and then. 

Then in 3 or 4 years time actually build a team that can challenge and hope the old firm have an off season. 

Really that's the options, sad as it is Scottish football's compass points in one direction and that's it. 

All this rip it up and start again is what us, hibs and Aberdeen have been doing for years and really getting nowhere. 

Maybe just be patient and try something different. 

Alternatively we could get another Romanov type in, rack up lots of debt, and be back in Administration within 5 years.

Maybe if that doesn't work, let the club die like Rangers.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• rudi must stay

• Deviskan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go for it 1308
41 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I am sorry but I question the veracity of the 7,000 waiting list, it was a soundbite to promote the message that despite us having a poor finish to last season everything is actually fine. It wasn't then and it isn't now. Where were these fans for the home game against Celtic? If you are on a waiting list they must be on our database.

This indebtedness to benefactors and Budge is what's wrong with the club and our support. The litany of massive football mistakes made has cost us somewhere in excess of 8 figures if you take into account Levein, Cathro, Stendel, demotion and missed European opportunities. We are run like an old school tie organisation, monies being diverted to projects other than wisely invested in the football side. We are a side owned by the people but our priority is the launch of a hotel? Really? And I don't buy this but other income streams are required, get the football side 70% right and we will be self sufficient.

Of course I don't trust this board to make the right decision, they have zero connection to the support and make footballing decisions that are ill informed and often based on gambles in a vain attempt to make them look like sharp operators rather than based on  substance. Amongst our brilliant ideas have been an old school Liverpool lineage of coaches, promotion of a wunderkind, bringing in a director of football to make up for his mistakes(!), employing a rookie manager and then creating a temporary new role to avoid being fined. On most of these occasions we have taken an interminably long time to make an appointment and we have been inundated with a welter of applications from "top managers". 

Until there is wholesale change we are doomed to rinse and repeat.

Mate...that is a ****ing brilliant post 👏 

2 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

Buy some expensive has beens and maybe get a cup semi final? A 3rd place finish. Then we need to buy more expensive has beens and do it again and again? 

Or 

Wait it out with Naismith and the current crop of young talented players we have in the hope they grow together. We could keep adding some new talented players. Maybe a Kent as a more experienced one now and then. 

Then in 3 or 4 years time actually build a team that can challenge and hope the old firm have an off season. 

Really that's the options, sad as it is Scottish football's compass points in one direction and that's it. 

All this rip it up and start again is what us, hibs and Aberdeen have been doing for years and really getting nowhere. 

I agree.

However.

I pay into FOH.

Ergo I want this. I want it now. I want the best of it. I want more of it. I want all of it.

I definitely don’t want that. Absolutely hate that. Couldn’t care less about that. And that can do one along with that and that.

Now please me or I will cancel my FOH!!

Just now, frankblack said:

Alternatively we could get another Romanov type in, rack up lots of debt, and be back in Administration within 5 years.

Exactly, we are in a good position compared to a lot of clubs. Because of this so called shit! Boards decision making. 

periodictabledancer
2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I agree.

However.

I pay into FOH.

Ergo I want this. I want it now. I want the best of it. I want more of it. I want all of it.

I definitely don’t want that. Absolutely hate that. Couldn’t care less about that. And that can do one along with that and that.

Now please me or I will cancel my FOH!!

3 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

Or 

That’s not the choices. It’s great to have a long term plan and bring young talent to the club but we need results as well. He had the chance to get off to a flyer in the league and made an absolute arse of it. Don’t get me wrong things change quickly and he could still turn it round (if given the chance) but I really don’t think he can. 

6 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

Or 

What happens if Naismith is simply not upto it, what if it has turned out to be a mistake and he'll never turn it around, how long would you give it until calling it a day?

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That doesn't even make sense. 

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's utter rubbish! They'll be plenty managers who'd love to manage Hearts given the opportunity 

Sure , I bet we could get Klopp if we paid him enough money and gave him a big enough budget to bring in better players 

However , the fact is , our budget only extends so far and we don’t have the funds to buy top players. 
The board are in a position where they  can’t take any gambles or experiments.

Im totally convinced they will go for a safe pair of experienced hands who knows Scottish football.

Anyone looking for glamour is going to be disappointed.

The club can’t afford to get the next one wrong, I’m convinced it will be a McInnes or Robinson type appointment 

12 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

Or 

Why would our signings under an experienced manager need to be has beens

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s not the choices. It’s great to have a long term plan and bring young talent to the club but we need results as well. He had the chance to get off to a flyer in the league and made an absolute arse of it. Don’t get me wrong things change quickly and he could still turn it round (if given the chance) but I really don’t think he can. 

I get what you are saying, one of the problems I see is that these players don't understand that the pressure to win at this club is huge. Just as big as the uglies and the players from the other clubs try like feck against us, that includes Celitc and Rangers, their players love coming to tynecastle its a proper football match for them. I think Naismith will change this mentality given time and make the players realise they need to perform 100% every game. 

Edited by mikey51

I get what you are saying, one of the problems I see is that these players don't understand that the pressure to win at this club is huge. Just as big as the uglies and the players from the other try like feck against us, that includes Celitc and Rangers, their players love coming to tynecastle its a proper football match for them. I think Naismith will change this mentality given time and make the players realise they need to perform 100% every game. 

Hope you’re right 👍

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Why would our signings under an experienced manager need to be has beens

They wouldn't but would an experienced manager get a different tune out of these players? I don't know maybe? Was Robbie not classed as an experienced manager? 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hope you’re right 👍

I just feel us, hibs or Aberdeen need to at least try something different. It's been the same shit different year for far too long. 

Edited by mikey51

12 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

I get what you are saying, one of the problems I see is that these players don't understand that the pressure to win at this club is huge.

Just as big as the uglies and the players from the other clubs try like feck against us, that includes Celitc and Rangers, their players love coming to tynecastle its a proper football match for them.

I think Naismith will change this mentality given time and make the players realise they need to perform 100% every game. 

We don’t have time to give an untested and unqualified coach, in the hope he will somehow improve us on the pitch. 

There is no evidence, no basis for comparison to suggest SN can improve the mentality of the squad.

There is a lot at stake this season.

The players already know how big a club they are at. They don’t need reminded. They need an experienced manager and coaches to lead them and get the best out of them. Patently, that is not happening.

16 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

I just feel us, hibs or Aberdeen need to at least try something different. It's been the same shit different year for far too long. 

If you’re talking about managers then all three clubs have tried a lot of different approaches. I think there’s got to be a balance if we are making allowances because we are building something for the future. Let’s face it, Naismiith talks about ‘being brave’, being on the front foot’ but that’s not what we are seeing very often. Defending corners with all ten outfield players in the box. Passing from side to side, full backs not supporting wingers, poor movement off the ball, passes continuously played to feet instead of in front of players. 

We don’t impose ourself in games enough. We retain possession against teams who are happy for us to have the ball and hit us on the break. Often with no real penetration. Then there’s the basic defensive errors, the fact a club our size started the season with one recognised right back, the poor substitutions.

In saying all that we’ve looked better in some games recently. Decent against Livingston, good first half at Ibrox, very good against Hibs. Is it enough? Maybe but more likely to be too little too late. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, MattyK82 said:

We don’t have time to give an untested and unqualified coach, in the hope he will somehow improve us on the pitch. 

There is no evidence, no basis for comparison to suggest SN can improve the mentality of the squad.

There is a lot at stake this season.

The players already know how big a club they are at. They don’t need reminded. They need an experienced manager and coaches to lead them and get the best out of them. Patently, that is not happening.

So who is the experienced coach? That will bring out the best in them? Would Robbie not have been classed as experienced? 

I find it worrying that every time we have a vacancy we get a load of "great applications" - then seem to make the wrong decision every single time...

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I find it worrying that every time we have a vacancy we get a load of "great applications" - then seem to make the wrong decision every single time...

Maybe there aren't great applicants 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If you’re talking about managers then all three clubs have tried a lot of different approaches. I think there’s got to be a balance if we are making allowances because we are building something for the future. Let’s face it, Naismiith talks about ‘being brave’, being on the front foot’ but that’s not what we are seeing very often. Defending corners with all ten outfield players in the box. Passing from side to side, full backs not supporting wingers, poor movement off the ball, passes continuously played to feet instead of in front of players. 

We don’t impose ourself in games enough. We retain possession against teams who are happy for us to have the ball and hit us on the break. Often with no real penetration. Then there’s the basic defensive errors, the fact a club our size started the season with one recognised right back, the poor substitutions.

In saying all that we’ve looked better in some games recently. Decent against Livingston, good first half at Ibrox, very good against Hibs. Is it enough? Maybe but more likely to be too little too late. 

I totally agree we don't impose ourselves enough in games. One of my huge criticisms of Robbie was he seemed more concerned about what the opposition did rather than us making them think. I thought Naismith would bring that mentality to us so far seen it in flashes as you say. I can only hope these flashes turn into long term. We won't win every game, no team does but we can hope to improve game on game. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

they haven’t. Tell me when you started following hearts so that I can make you look foolish. 

edit: actually don’t bother. You’ve done that all by yourself 

You’re coming across a right arsehole

Edited by HMFC 86

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Our board run the manager recruitment like amateurs ffs. Waiting on applications like it’s a part time weekend gig or something.

The most suitable candidates are in jobs and don’t just “apply”. You have to identify who/what you want and go after them. 

We end up with the “down the corridor” option, or time wasters looking to get their names in the media.

37 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

That doesn't even make sense. 

The person I replied to seemed fine  so its your issue.  If that was your attempt to play the man you failed miserably.

I totally agree we don't impose ourselves enough in games. One of my huge criticisms of Robbie was he seemed more concerned about what the opposition did rather than us making them think. I thought Naismith would bring that mentality to us so far seen it in flashes as you say. I can only hope these flashes turn into long term. We won't win every game, no team does but we can hope to improve game on game. 

At the risk of half the board pointing out Naismith only won 2 games last season, he had us playing in a way that I thought was something to build on and I was looking forward to this season. As early as the St Johnstone game, it was clear that wasn’t happening. Only he knows why but he says one thing and we see another on the park so there are only two reasons for that, by my reckoning, either he’s just telling us a load of shite or the players aren’t doing what is asked. Either way it’s worrying. 

Anyway that’s me had my rant, we’ll see how he does against Motherwell and take it from there. Apart from blether on here what else can we do. 

8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

True, but then why are we being told there are?...

By the same DOF who said we'd be challenging the OF?  Enough said.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

The English Championship is a smaller European league?

Nope, but Scotland is one of the  smaller European leagues.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Who fronts the mystery board? 

Beats me, it's a mystery board.

9 minutes ago, liam11 said:

Our board run the manager recruitment like amateurs ffs. Waiting on applications like it’s a part time weekend gig or something.

The most suitable candidates are in jobs and don’t just “apply”. You have to identify who/what you want and go after them. 

We end up with the “down the corridor” option, or time wasters looking to get their names in the media.

So you give someone a job then start looking for their replacement?

Not sure that’s how I would run a business?

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

So you give someone a job then start looking for their replacement?

Not sure that’s how I would run a business?

Or Budge, and she's got a good track record.

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

By the same DOF who said we'd be challenging the OF?  Enough said.

Aye, but some on here genuinely believe that.

They spouted it for years, living in a different reality.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Jodami said:

I am sorry but I question the veracity of the 7,000 waiting list, it was a soundbite to promote the message that despite us having a poor finish to last season everything is actually fine. It wasn't then and it isn't now. Where were these fans for the home game against Celtic? If you are on a waiting list they must be on our database.

This indebtedness to benefactors and Budge is what's wrong with the club and our support. The litany of massive football mistakes made has cost us somewhere in excess of 8 figures if you take into account Levein, Cathro, Stendel, demotion and missed European opportunities. We are run like an old school tie organisation, monies being diverted to projects other than wisely invested in the football side. We are a side owned by the people but our priority is the launch of a hotel? Really? And I don't buy this but other income streams are required, get the football side 70% right and we will be self sufficient.

Of course I don't trust this board to make the right decision, they have zero connection to the support and make footballing decisions that are ill informed and often based on gambles in a vain attempt to make them look like sharp operators rather than based on  substance. Amongst our brilliant ideas have been an old school Liverpool lineage of coaches, promotion of a wunderkind, bringing in a director of football to make up for his mistakes(!), employing a rookie manager and then creating a temporary new role to avoid being fined. On most of these occasions we have taken an interminably long time to make an appointment and we have been inundated with a welter of applications from "top managers". 

Until there is wholesale change we are doomed to rinse and repeat.

Tremendous post and absolute common sense, well said sue! 👏

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Or Budge, and she's got a good track record.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At what exactly? 🤔 

It’s not at running a football club that’s for sure! 

Savage and McKinley should get full decision making powers on this one, and if it doesn't work, they all go.

Not really sure why they were talking about having discussed managers during Robbie's time, as a contingency, to then go on to lament the lack of quality applications when he did get sacked, and then hire within the club. If they had a list, why are we discussing poor applications instead of going out to get target number 1?

53 minutes ago, mikey51 said:

They wouldn't but would an experienced manager get a different tune out of these players? I don't know maybe? Was Robbie not classed as an experienced manager? 

I absolutely believe he would.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At what exactly? 🤔 

It’s not at running a football club that’s for sure! 

To answer your question-

She's won CEO of the year and the Edinburgh award- while running a football club.

She Is a millionaire, saved and owned the club she supported and has a Yacht named "Queen of Hearts"

Then there is You and many  others handing out business advice and spouting shite about running a football club- you lot think putting your pants on correctly and not missing the toilet bowl while pissing are achievements.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

14 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I remember when polls used to have a St Johnstone option.

Good times Geoffrey, good times. 👍

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

The person I replied to seemed fine  so its your issue.  If that was your attempt to play the man you failed miserably.

I wasn't playing at anything as your post didn't make any sense whatsoever.

1 hour ago, mikey51 said:

So who is the experienced coach? That will bring out the best in them? Would Robbie not have been classed as experienced? 

Robbie had some experience yes and overall, I thought he did a good job but his time in charge had come to a natural conclusion. The board, a little bit belatedly, correctly sacked him and LM, putting SN in charge for the remaining 7 matches of last season. I understood the logic behind this. No point in bringing in a whole new management set up at that stage of the season.

What I don’t understand is our CEO publicly declaring we would appoint a manager of experience following Robbie’s removal only to interview one solitary external applicant (on Microsoft teams) and with the benefit of the summer months, hiring, inexplicably, the head of the academy, Frank McAvoy, who had previously failed in his only other coaching role 2 decades previously, assisted by ‘technical director’ Steven Naismith and Gordon Forrest, part of the triumvirate of the previous sacked coaching set up.

According to our CEO, the quality of applicants wasn’t great. Well, if that’s the case, which I am dubious about, how about actually headhunting a realistic, experienced manager? Not a difficult task particularly for a club of Hearts size. 

Who is an experienced coach? There are many, many options out there. And we picked none of them. Our board genuinely thought this hodgepodge set up would work. Lunacy. 

I am pretty sure if I applied for a role within my workplace without relevant qualifications, I wouldn’t even get an interview. This should be no different. 

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

The answer has to be no. Who on the board has the knowledge and the know how to interview and identify what a good manager is all about. There is one manager now who I’m sure will be snapped up in no time at all but hey our board haven’t got the ability to provide the resources he would want. I’m talking about a certain ex Birmingham manager who Birmingham must be kicking themselves for sacking him after the fantastic job he did which is now being dismantled by a Mr Rooney.

14 hours ago, Sooks said:

We do need to get someone better I agree . Things like unquantifiable measurements of personality and charisma I honestly could not give a **** about . Exactly the reason why we end up with total duffers like Stendel or Naismith . We need to appoint managers that get results . This Hibs nonsense about style of play is so counterproductive it is unreal 

There was no mention of style of play in my post or was there any reference to Stendel or Naismith. 

RustyRightPeg
9 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Can we say that there has been improvements on the park season on season? Board responsible for lack of ambition. 

You can only show ambition once you get the basics right. Our board don’t know how to do that.