Zander Clark

GYL

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ooh-aah-cantona said:

The disliking towards Clark is a tad bizarre IMO.

He was signed initially as back up to Craig Gordon and realistically, he’s the best number 2 in Scottish football including Celtic and Rangers, who have Scott Bain and Robby McCrorie respectively. 

The problem for most people is that he’s not Craig Gordon and Clark is naturally compared against him. We need to remember that Craig is a generational talent, club legend and the best goalkeeper in the last 40 years. 

Clark isn’t as good, but he’s not in the top 10 of issues we need to address as a team.

He will save us more points than he costs over a season.

And the uncomfortable truth is that as a near 41 year old Craig recovers after almost a year out, Clark may very well still be our number 1 goalkeeper moving forward for the foreseeable.

Could you list us the saves hes made thats saved us ANY points in the time hes been in the team? 
You are correct hes not as good as Gordon, the problem is hes not as good as most of the other GKs in the league and hes as big a problem as any other part of the team.

When they knew Gordon was going to be out for a year they really should’ve got a better replacement as the number 2 really isn’t up to the job. 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• HopeDiouf

• Dazo

• rudi must stay

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The thread really shows how little folk actually watch GKs and understand the jobs they do. 

Only highlights your stupidity imo. 

Nowt new. 

ooh-aah-cantona
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Could you list us the saves hes made thats saved us ANY points in the time hes been in the team? 
You are correct hes not as good as Gordon, the problem is hes not as good as most of the other GKs in the league and hes as big a problem as any other part of the team.

When they knew Gordon was going to be out for a year they really should’ve got a better replacement as the number 2 really isn’t up to the job. 

Off the top of my head, in the league 3-0 wins last year versus Hibs and St Johnstone. He also got man of the match plaudits in the St Mirren fans in May.

There will be of course more but that doesn’t suit your narrative.

He’s also kept 5 clean sheets from 11 league games this season already, which equals his record last season of 5 shut outs from 21 games. 

He’s got the 3rd best save to shots faced % behind Joe Hart and Jack Butland, so I’m struggling to get your argument that he’s one of the weakest in the league. The only other goalkeeper apart from the Old Firm two you could argue is better than Clark is Trevor Carson. There’s some that are ‘on par’ with Zander and others definitely worse.

Are you saying you’d prefer Ross Laidlaw, David Marshall or Shamal George?! 😬

Edited by ooh-aah-cantona

ooh-aah-cantona

You don’t have to trawl to far back in our recent past to find poorer goalkeepers than Clark.

- Kurskis

- Basso

- Balogh

- Doyle

- Hamilton

- Zlamal

- Pereira

- Noring

I like Zander but he doesn't have the steel I thought he did. Gordon coming back will allow him to regroup and refocus, I think he's got in his own head a bit.

7 hours ago, ooh-aah-cantona said:

You don’t have to trawl to far back in our recent past to find poorer goalkeepers than Clark.

- Kurskis

- Basso

- Balogh

- Doyle

- Hamilton

- Zlamal

- Pereira

- Noring

Nor to find better. 

Gordon

Alexander

Mcglauchlin

8 hours ago, ooh-aah-cantona said:

He was signed initially as back up to Craig Gordon and realistically, he’s the best number 2 in Scottish football including Celtic and Rangers, who have Scott Bain and Robby McCrorie respectively. 

The problem for most people is that he’s not Craig Gordon and Clark is naturally compared against him. We need to remember that Craig is a generational talent, club legend and the best goalkeeper in the last 40 years. 

Clark isn’t as good, but he’s not in the top 10 of issues we need to address as a team.

And the uncomfortable truth is that as a near 41 year old Craig recovers after almost a year out, Clark may very well still be our number 1 goalkeeper moving forward for the foreseeable.

No he won't.

9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

A very good keeper and will be our number 1 for years to come.

Get used to it.

Is he very good at trying to save penalties, free kicks with good positional awareness and communicates clearly with the defenders when he comes for crosses?

There's lots of room for improvement for Clark. But he's 31 and what we're seeing is perhaps his ceiling.

Of course we've been extremely spoilt by Gordon who has set such high standards they casts a shadow over Clark.

8 minutes ago, kila said:

Is he very good at trying to save penalties, free kicks with good positional awareness and communicates clearly with the defenders when he comes for crosses?

There's lots of room for improvement for Clark. But he's 31 and what we're seeing is perhaps his ceiling.

Of course we've been extremely spoilt by Gordon who has set such high standards they casts a shadow over Clark.

He's not the greatest by any means, but we're not going to see the likes of CG anytime soon.

He's in the "safe pair of hands" bracket for me, nothing more and nothing less.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, ooh-aah-cantona said:

Off the top of my head, in the league 3-0 wins last year versus Hibs and St Johnstone. He also got man of the match plaudits in the St Mirren fans in May.

There will be of course more but that doesn’t suit your narrative.

He’s also kept 5 clean sheets from 11 league games this season already, which equals his record last season of 5 shut outs from 21 games. 

He’s got the 3rd best save to shots faced % behind Joe Hart and Jack Butland, so I’m struggling to get your argument that he’s one of the weakest in the league. The only other goalkeeper apart from the Old Firm two you could argue is better than Clark is Trevor Carson. There’s some that are ‘on par’ with Zander and others definitely worse.

Are you saying you’d prefer Ross Laidlaw, David Marshall or Shamal George?! 😬

Sorry but saves when you win 3:0 are not match winning saves 🤪?!?!

MOM can go to anyone. 

He has never made a wow save, you cant name one because that hasn’t happened. 
When he does make a save he palms the ball back into the danger area. 

He cant save a free kick from around our box.
He cant catch the ball. 
He cant kick the ball. 
On the rare occasion he throws the ball its usually intercepted. 
He cant come from crosses. 
He cant get near a penalty, never went the right way yet, three times in a week against the same guy, 4 times in 2 weeks. 
He doesn’t command his box, or close the angle down and when he comes out he gives away a penalty. 
He is as equally as bad as the others, behind Kelly, Roos and Carson. Hes been 1st choice for nearly a year, a decision thats costs us dearly.
He was a free agent after the window closed for a good reason, acceptance of poor players such as him in our 1st team is why we struggle constantly to achieve much. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
Spelling

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry but saves when you win 3:0 are not match winning saves 🤪?!?!

MOM can go to anyone. 

He has never made a wow save, you cant name one because that hasn’t happened. 
When he does make a save he palms the ball back into the danger area. 

He cant catch the ball. 
He cant kick the ball. 
On the rare occasion he throws the ball its usually intercepted. 
He cant come from crosses. 
He cant get near a penalty, never went the right way yet, three times in a week against the same guy, 4 times in 2 weeks. 
He doesn’t command his box, or close the angle down and when he comes out he gives away a penalty. 
He is as equally as bad as the others, behind Kelly, Roos and Carson. Hes been 1st choice for nearly a year, a decision thats costs us dearly.
He was a free agent after the window closed for a good reason, acceptance of poor players such as him in our 1st team is why we struggle constantly to achieve much. 

To be fair, he did make some good saves when he first came in. I remember a miraculous double save v the hobos in particular.  But not seen any of that for a good 7 or 8 months now, he's been poor and, for me, costing us goals.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Only highlights your stupidity imo. 

Nowt new. 

Oh sorry oh font of all knowledge 🤪

Pasquale for King
Just now, HopeDiouf said:

To be fair, he did make some good saves when he first came in. I remember a miraculous double save v the hobos in particular.  But not seen any of that for a good 7 or 8 months now, he's been poor and, for me, costing us goals.

Wasn’t miraculous, two bog standard saves really which is all he does. The longer he’s in the team the more folk realise how poor he is. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wasn’t miraculous, two bog standard saves really which is all he does. The longer he’s in the team the more folk realise how poor he is. 

The one I'm thinking of was defo not bog standard.  Was when he first got in the team though, so I'm by no means defending him.  He's been pish for ages

We could have a lot worse in goal than Zander, yes he has made some mistakes, however he has also saved us a lot of points. (Even Gordon was prone to the occasional mistake)

Clark has done alright stepping in for Craig and that is a lot better than most goal keepers could do. Clark is a very good goalkeeper who we signed on a free. 

Yes he has made a few howlers, however I feel like the fan base are being a little harsh on him. Goalkeepers need confidence and I don't feel like many players at hearts have a lot of confidence just now. 

For a team in Scotland we have been spoiled by goalkeepers over the years, yes he is not as good as Gordon but he is a lot better than the average goalkeeper that we have had over the years... (i.e Poppadom Peirera, Zlamal, Hamilton etc.) 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

The one I'm thinking of was defo not bog standard.  Was when he first got in the team though, so I'm by no means defending him.  He's been pish for ages

Watch it again, easy save and then the players follow up goes right at him when he’s still on the ground after palming it back out to the guy. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=hearts 3 hibs 0&tbm=&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9dccae43,vid:xvUJi2xRzPw,st:0

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

We could have a lot worse in goal than Zander, yes he has made some mistakes, however he has also saved us a lot of points. (Even Gordon was prone to the occasional mistake)

Clark has done alright stepping in for Craig and that is a lot better than most goal keepers could do. Clark is a very good goalkeeper who we signed on a free. 

Yes he has made a few howlers, however I feel like the fan base are being a little harsh on him. Goalkeepers need confidence and I don't feel like many players at hearts have a lot of confidence just now. 

For a team in Scotland we have been spoiled by goalkeepers over the years, yes he is not as good as Gordon but he is a lot better than the average goalkeeper that we have had over the years... (i.e Poppadom Peirera, Zlamal, Hamilton etc.) 

Could you, or anyone else, list these imaginary points thats hes saved us please?

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Could you, or anyone else, list these imaginary points thats hes saved us please?

Very good double saves against Hibs last season and Dundee United last season. Even in games where we dropped points he often saves us from going another goal down etc. It is very harsh to say that he has never made a good save or saved us points, He is defiantly not as bad as Peirera. 

I do agree that his form has dropped, but you can say that for every single player this season.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Very good double saves against Hibs last season and Dundee United last season. Even in games where we dropped points he often saves us from going another goal down etc. It is very harsh to say that he has never made a good save or saved us points, He is defiantly not as bad as Peirera. 

I do agree that his form has dropped, but you can say that for every single player this season.

Never made a great save was my point, heres the double save against Hibs which really wasn’t that great when you analyse it, he pushes a soft shot back out to the same player who shoots right at him when he’s still on the ground having not made an attempt to get up. I think when you watch him closely you see how poor he is, lets hope we never have a GK as bad as Perriera again.

I think Atkinson, Devlin, Rowles, Kingsley have improved but thats not many players in a big squad. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=hearts 3 hibs 0&tbm=&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9dccae43,vid:xvUJi2xRzPw,st:0

Edited by Pasquale for King
Link

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Never made a great save was my point, heres the double save against Hibs which really wasn’t that great when you analyse it, he pushes a soft shot back out to the same player who shoots right at him when he’s still on the ground having not made an attempt to get up. I think when you watch him closely you see how poor he is, lets hope we never have a GK as bad as Perriera again.

I think Atkinson, Devlin, Rowles, Kingsley have improved but thats not many players in a big squad. 

I'm pretty sure that save won save of the season for us last year. 

Hopefully Gordon comes back close to as good as he was before and Clark can go back to sitting on the bench.

One thing I have noticed is how bad McGovern looks in the warm ups, so If Clarke gets dropped for a game or two, I'd rather give Stone a chance. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I'm pretty sure that save won save of the season for us last year. 

Hopefully Gordon comes back close to as good as he was before and Clark can go back to sitting on the bench.

One thing I have noticed is how bad McGovern looks in the warm ups, so If Clarke gets dropped for a game or two, I'd rather give Stone a chance. 

Must’ve been a poor sample to choose from. 
Yeah CG can’t come back quick enough but we will need a plan for the not too distant future.
I cant say McGovern ever impressed me with Hamilton, but it looks good on paper to say we have 3 international GKs, like we nearly did with Zlamal/Doyle/Perriera 🤦🏽
Unfortunately Stone hasn’t progressed but the GK coach really doesn’t seem to help any of our GKs improve. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Must’ve been a poor sample to choose from. 
Yeah CG can’t come back quick enough but we will need a plan for the not too distant future.
I cant say McGovern ever impressed me with Hamilton, but it looks good on paper to say we have 3 international GKs, like we nearly did with Zlamal/Doyle/Perriera 🤦🏽
Unfortunately Stone hasn’t progressed but the GK coach really doesn’t seem to help any of our GKs improve. 

You could just admit it was a good save.  That doesn't turn him into Gordon Banks, he's still been shit since then :)

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

You could just admit it was a good save.  That doesn't turn him into Gordon Banks, he's still been shit since then :)

Probably, but I would be lying, like Clark on the ground 😆. We fo agree he’s been crap, since his SECOND game 🤦🏽

Zanders form has dropped, I don’t think he is as bad as some are making out - he has made mistakes of course he has and those have been highlighted. Apart from McGovern, who I have my doubts about, what else can we do?

I don’t want to see Gordon thrown back in just yet, for me he still needs more match time (friendlies) to get up to speed.

We have been told for a few years about the potential of Stone, from Gordon himself so that for me is high enough praise….what’s the harm in recalling him and throwing him in for some game time - yes he is young, yes he has only had some lower division experience but Gordon didn’t have much when he got a chance and he turned out not too bad.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

Zanders form has dropped, I don’t think he is as bad as some are making out - he has made mistakes of course he has and those have been highlighted. Apart from McGovern, who I have my doubts about, what else can we do?

I don’t want to see Gordon thrown back in just yet, for me he still needs more match time (friendlies) to get up to speed.

We have been told for a few years about the potential of Stone, from Gordon himself so that for me is high enough praise….what’s the harm in recalling him and throwing him in for some game time - yes he is young, yes he has only had some lower division experience but Gordon didn’t have much when he got a chance and he turned out not too bad.

Hows about the GK coach working on his many failings? You don’t just magically improve without putting in the effort to do so. 

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The thread really shows how little folk actually watch GKs and understand the jobs they do. 

Don't always agree with you but you are Bang on here.

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hows about the GK coach working on his many failings? You don’t just magically improve without putting in the effort to do so. 

That would help yes but he isn’t also going to suddenly become shite after a few games and a a few mistakes, certainly not after years of playing the position...can’t just blame him for me.

So yes on both counts, coaches need to point out his failings and he needs to work on them.

GK is one of the hardest positions on the park, I can testify to that as being an ex gk myself!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Oda be a JT said:

That would help yes but he isn’t also going to suddenly become shite after a few games and a a few mistakes, certainly not after years of playing the position...can’t just blame him for me.

So yes on both counts, coaches need to point out his failings and he needs to work on them.

GK is one of the hardest positions on the park, I can testify to that as being an ex gk myself!

Hes always been shite though, why he wasn’t picked up by anyone before we did.
GK is a difficult position, especially when you dont excel at any part of the job, my great nephew is a GK and he accentuates the positives like a good save but the mistakes are coming thick and fast now.

How anyone can think he will be our GK moving forward is unbelievable, without a huge upturn in all aspects of his game. 

13 hours ago, WP2020 said:

Need Gordon back asap.

This. 

Just get him back in at Motherwell.

It wouldn't faze Gordon at all.

Clark is turning into a bag of nerves.

When we signed ZC I have to admit I was happy with such an experienced back-up. Then I discovered he was out of contract, which I was very surprised about given how long he has been in the Scottish top flight. It made me wonder why that was!

Then CG had that horrific injury and in comes ZC. Safe pair of hands until CG returns (if ever) I thought. Fast forward to today and I'm now starting to seriously dislike ZC in goals. Most games now he is making stupid mistakes that are sometimes costly and sometimes not. The thing that annoys me the most though is the way he just stands in the goal (say when there is a penalty or free kick) and he just stands there, doing nothing. This is immediately followed by him falling over, face first, like a freshly felled Sycamore tree.

Another thing that I hate is when he tries to save a shot that requires a full stretch save, his arms are never fully stretched, so there is no way he can possibly save it, resulting in a probable goal. Don't get me started about his positioning or his punching of the ball (when most of the time it could be caught). 

Sadly we are all comparing ZC to CG, and in all honesty ZC isn't in the same league. We all know that. But remember a goalkeeper plays a proactive role in keeping the ball out of his team's own net and in order to do that that person has to actually make an effort and move. It really makes me wonder what on earth is ZC actually doing in training and a more important question is what are the coaches doing and are they competent? 

Rant over.

Moving forward, someone mentioned Harry Stone being a hot prospect - I don't think I've ever watched him play. Can anyone provide more info on that?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Mr Kipling said:

When we signed ZC I have to admit I was happy with such an experienced back-up. Then I discovered he was out of contract, which I was very surprised about given how long he has been in the Scottish top flight. It made me wonder why that was!

Then CG had that horrific injury and in comes ZC. Safe pair of hands until CG returns (if ever) I thought. Fast forward to today and I'm now starting to seriously dislike ZC in goals. Most games now he is making stupid mistakes that are sometimes costly and sometimes not. The thing that annoys me the most though is the way he just stands in the goal (say when there is a penalty or free kick) and he just stands there, doing nothing. This is immediately followed by him falling over, face first, like a freshly felled Sycamore tree.

Another thing that I hate is when he tries to save a shot that requires a full stretch save, his arms are never fully stretched, so there is no way he can possibly save it, resulting in a probable goal. Don't get me started about his positioning or his punching of the ball (when most of the time it could be caught). 

Sadly we are all comparing ZC to CG, and in all honesty ZC isn't in the same league. We all know that. But remember a goalkeeper plays a proactive role in keeping the ball out of his team's own net and in order to do that that person has to actually make an effort and move. It really makes me wonder what on earth is ZC actually doing in training and a more important question is what are the coaches doing and are they competent? 

Rant over.

Moving forward, someone mentioned Harry Stone being a hot prospect - I don't think I've ever watched him play. Can anyone provide more info on that?

Great post, sorry don’t know much about Stone.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great post, sorry don’t know much about Stone.

It isn’t really but to be honest I stop reading at Clark makes stupid mistakes in most games. He has made mistakes but that clearly isn’t true. 

Some of you are in for a shock when/if Gordon ever gets back in goals. Collective amnesia seems to have set in. 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It isn’t really but to be honest I stop reading at Clark makes stupid mistakes in most games. He has made mistakes but that clearly isn’t true. 

Some of you are in for a shock when/if Gordon ever gets back in goals. Collective amnesia seems to have set in. 

Why would we be in for a shock ?

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Mistakes won’t stop that’s a definite, top class saves might return though. 

And we might get a few less statue impressions.

On 08/11/2023 at 23:54, ooh-aah-cantona said:

Too much common sense here.

The fact that Craig Gordon was the busiest keeper in Scotland during the season we finished 3rd hints that the outfield players weren't doing their jobs as they should.

31 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Every keeper in world football make mistakes. Neuer, Oblak, Allison, every one of them . The best keepers are the ones that make the fewest.

Zander Clark has made more mistakes leading directly to goals this season alone than Gordon has probably made in his career. 

Last season he was a steady goalkeeper  but really never made any wow saves and wouldn’t win us points, and that was fine. Trouble is this season he’s still not making any big saves but the mistakes are coming thick and fast. Recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Last season he was a steady goalkeeper  but really never made any wow saves and wouldn’t win us points, and that was fine. Trouble is this season he’s still not making any big saves but the mistakes are coming thick and fast. Recipe for disaster.

Agree.  Form has gradually declined since he came in to the team, to the point now where he has been a liability for a while.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Mistakes won't stop but there will a hell of a lot less of them with CG in goal.

39 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Every keeper in world football make mistakes. Neuer, Oblak, Allison, every one of them . The best keepers are the ones that make the fewest.

Zander Clark has made more mistakes leading directly to goals this season alone than Gordon has probably made in his career. 

See that bit in the middle, utter nonsense. No why idea why some feel the need to exaggerate everything negatively about one of our own players. 

4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Mistakes won't stop but there will a hell of a lot less of them with CG in goal.

Yep I’d like to think so. Gordon is a year older after a bad injury in the twilight of his career. I wouldn’t be building my hopes up on him. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

See that bit in the middle, utter nonsense. No why idea why some feel the need to exaggerate everything negatively about one of our own players. 

Sorry Mr Clark it’s nothing personal but your laddie’s not good enough to be Hearts no.1. That is evident.

Is there a reason we are not playing McGovern?  From what I hear he is one of our highest paid players.

Zander is simply not at the required level.

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is there a reason we are not playing McGovern?  From what I hear he is one of our highest paid players.

Zander is simply not at the required level.

Ffs 😂 yeah of course he is. 

6 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Sorry Mr Clark it’s nothing personal but your laddie’s not good enough to be Hearts no.1. That is evident.

I never take football opinions personal buddy. 😊

Corstorphine Jambo

The fact that Clark was a free agent when we signed him perhaps tells a story. However when he did come in, I was pleasantly surprised.

This season he has struggled and that may be partly down to confidence as he realises/thinks that he is going to lose his first team place and slot in the Euros squad. That’s a lot of pressure.

I do expect Gordon to replace Clark but someone in their 40s returning to top division football doesn’t carry many guarantees of a return to the halcyon days. We can only hope. 

5 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

The fact that Clark was a free agent when we signed him perhaps tells a story. However when he did come in, I was pleasantly surprised.

This season he has struggled and that may be partly down to confidence as he realises/thinks that he is going to lose his first team place and slot in the Euros squad. That’s a lot of pressure.

I do expect Gordon to replace Clark but someone in their 40s returning to top division football doesn’t carry many guarantees of a return to the halcyon days. We can only hope. 

Craig Gordon was a free agent.