• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diadora Van Basten

• il Duce McTarkin

• Malinga the Swinga

• JudyJudyJudy

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A lot of questions.

Proportionality for me rests on what is a legitimate target. Palestinian kids or Hamas fighters? 

There's been well over a thousand Palestinian deaths too. Vapourised in an instant whilst sitting in their houses. 497 kids too. 

What is reasonable? depends on how reasonable a person you are. Netanyahu seems quite a stable sort. 

Collective responsibility in this case would be turning off the water, power and food to the Palestinian peoples. The vast majority of whom are not Hamas terrorists.

Your final three points - I'd want to track down those responsible and oput their heads on a stick. That is human nature. 

But that's not what's happening here. What's happening here is the guy that raped your daughter lives in Fife and you're currently levelling all of Fife for 6 days before you then send in your ground troops to kill whoever hasn't left Fife.

Is that proportionate? 

Any levelling of Fife would always be proportionate. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, BlueRiver said:

thought that as soon as posted it ☹️

il Duce McTarkin
33 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Quite.

Perhaps we shouldn't have bothered with the Good Friday Agreement and just dropped 6000 bombs on Dublin in 6 days?

:sadrobbo:

It's still not too late.

HeartsandonlyHearts
11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I never understand why we have any super-religious people here TBH. Why do Orthodox Jews choose here rather than Israel if they feel unsafe? We are, to all extents, a secular country but we seem to tolerate regious extremism to the point that it turns violent - where is the sense in that? I think we should just ban religion for over-5s and be done with it. Let the kids learn the stories that provide basic moral grounding and then cease. If I'm being too harsh then maybe even stretch it to having religious schools at primary level only?

Are you saying British Orthdox Jews are religious extremists who incite violence?

Ive been wrong on this thread already with reading into something that wasn’t there. Not doing that again. So I’m asking where you’re going with it.

I feel the same about “super religious” Muslims. I don’t think they all incite violence. Not a big fan of the tar brush.

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I fully understand the emotion, Doc. 

But if my next door neighbour were to go and pick a fight with everyone in the next street and come back to hide in my garden, I'd hope that the folk in the next street didn't batter me to a pulp when looking for my neighbour. 

Again, more of my ignorance but I don't know whether your typical resident of Gaza has a voice and if they're able to express disgust at what Hamas are doing, purportedly in their name. 

Heart over head here, but if you refused to hand him over when I appeared at your door with a large bat, you are most definitely getting your head caved in.

Im not aware of any opposition to Hamas at all in Gaza , so presumably they are quite happy for Hamas to run them?

They did vote for them over Fatah.

9 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

:sadrobbo:

It's still not too late.

Think of the economic boom for tourism?! These people are our competitors for resources, not our friends. What are we doing? Should we declare war on Dublin or just attack? Which is better under International Law?

Edited by Spellczech

12 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Are you saying British Orthdox Jews are religious extremists who incite violence?

Ive been wrong on this thread already with reading into something that wasn’t there. Not doing that again. So I’m asking where you’re going with it.

I feel the same about “super religious” Muslims. I don’t think they all incite violence. Not a big fan of the tar brush.

No. If I was saying that I would've said that...

I was responding to a story about people who ar every religious aapparently saying they don't feel safe on the streets of the UK becuase they are religious and it shows...To me, such stories just sound like propaganda as they get retold. I was just making the assumption that there is some truth in it and then questioning it.

I know fine well that the majority of hot-headed religious nutters are Islamists, but all mythologists are, to me, a bit pre-21st century....

Edited by Spellczech

Why is it so difficult for people to accept that both sides are absolutely brutal and care not for the lives of civilians?

There are no good guys here.

Two armies that believe the other side has no right to exist.

And millions of civilians caught up in the middle.

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Spellczech said:

What are we doing? Should we declare war or just attack? Which is better under International Law?

Sucker-punch with a couple of kilotonnes as a starter for ten.

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Heart over head here, but if you refused to hand him over when I appeared at your door with a large bat, you are most definitely getting your head caved in.

Im not aware of any opposition to Hamas at all in Gaza , so presumably they are quite happy for Hamas to run them?

Hamas were voted in 2006. They then ran out by force the more secular Fatah politcians out of Gaza and haven't had an election since. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't react well to locals wanting them out.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Why is it so difficult for people to accept that both sides are absolutely brutal and care not for the lives of civilians?

There are no good guys here.

Two armies that believe the other side has no right to exist.

And millions of civilians caught up in the middle.

Because 1 sides civilians are liked by Celtic fans so by default they must be the badder guys.

That thing you do
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Come on now, it was a multi point incursion by a small army.

The only people at fault here are HAmas and their backers.

They are repulsive and it is their fault.

All the hand wringing and finger pointing is futile.

Palestinians have to blame their own government for what is about to happen here.

And the other Islamic despotic nations that harbour Islamic extremists.

Islam needs a reformation, as Christianity did .

this twisted ideology needs ended .

It isnt that simple if you imagine Gaza as Edinburgh and Fife. You are not allowed out, months earlier yet another Israeli attack killed 200, stories of regular beating,your food water and power is not under your control, you are cut off from the international community who back the people occupying you.

Dont you think theres a point after two decades of that you snap?

What hamas did can never be condoned or accepted but its cause is the endless annexation, occupation and breaking of international law and the cycle of tit for tat that it causes.

Israel need to end this and use what happens as a watershed and ensure a two state solution. Palestine needs its dignity

Hamas should be disarmed (the latter is doable with a peace deal as with the IRA) .

Israel is perilously close here to a genocide and it needs to stop.

The international community has been generally shameful in its polarized us or them approach as well.

It needs someone to step in and tell both sides, no more blood, get a two state solution sorted. 

The UN could and should be doung that.

34 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Cheers. 

I mean, though, War!!

Good God!

What is it good for? 

26 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Absolutely nothing. 

War, I despise. 

Dang u bet me to it 

2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

It isnt that simple if you imagine Gaza as Edinburgh and Fife. You are not allowed out, months earlier yet another Israeli attack killed 200, stories of regular beating,your food water and power is not under your control, you are cut off from the international community who back the people occupying you.

What hamas did can never be condoned or accepted but its cause is the endless annexation, occupation and breaking of international law and the cycle of tit for tat that it causes.

Israel need to end this and use what happens as a watershed and ensure a two state solution. Palestine needs its dignity

Hamas should be disarmed (the latter is doable with a peace deal as with the IRA) .

The international community has been generally shameful in its polarized us or them approach as well.

It needs someone to step in and tell both sides, no more blood, get a two state solution sorted. 

Excellent posting

42 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The question is what is proportional?

over a thousand of your people are killed , raped, beheaded and kidnapped in your country , you know who did it and where they are.

What is reasonable .

What is collective responsibility?

What would you do if you were in power in Israel?

Is your daughter was raped, killed and paraded on a truck for people to spit on, what would you do?

In know what I would do,  and in that moment , Gaza would burn

All true. Equally though of I was treated the way Palestine is by Israel I'd be tempted to be hopping over the border giving them a bloody nose at every opportunity too.

You can't bully someone/something for years and then take the high ground when they deal a low blow imo.

Both are wrong.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

All true. Equally though of I was treated the way Palestine is by Israel I'd be tempted to be hopping over the border giving them a bloody nose at every opportunity too.

You can't bully someone/something for years and then take the high ground when they deal a low blow imo.

Both are wrong.

Agree, both are wrong.

Religion needs abolished , then we can just go back to being racist, which had better jokes and insults

joondalupjambo
36 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

West Fife?

16 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

You know, for all his faults, Trump was right when he said the UN is useless and a waste of US money. Whilst it would claim to have prevented nuclear war and that its affiliates do lots of good humanitarian work, its basic premiss is to be a talking shop for diplomats to get together and argue and debate during the day and shag prostitutes in the evenings...

The best thing the UN does in Palestine is teach kids to read. Next we need Google and X to step up and stop filtering what they read and thus only giving them a false one-sided "truth"...

I mean I once made the mistake of clicking on a Celtic story on my phone and now all a I get are bloody notifications telling me crap about Celtic. Fortunately I am capable of seeing the BS for what it is!

Edited by Spellczech

HeartsandonlyHearts
9 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

The UN couldn’t run a bath.

Hamas will never willingly give up their weapons.

Hamas don’t want peace. Not unless it’s after they wipe Israel and all Jews from the face of the earth.

5 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

The UN couldn’t run a bath.

Hamas will never willingly give up their weapons.

Hamas don’t want peace. Not unless it’s after they wipe Israel and all Jews from the face of the earth.

That's the truth. Only ways to get rid of cockroaches is to kill them all or make the house too clean for them... Israel appears to be trying Plan A, but it may have been a bit smarter to try Plan B first...

27 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Because 1 sides civilians are liked by Celtic fans so by default they must be the badder guys.

You clearly have a warped mind if you think people's views of the troubles in the middle east are skewed by Celtic fans.

I don't like terrorists and have a very real problem with Islamic fundamentalists who's intention is to rid the word of the infidel. By any means. I've got a hunch that's how my view has been formed.

Hamas are entwined in Palestinian life. Not all Palestinians are Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinian. Hamas use their own people as shields never mind a couple of hundred Israeli hostages. I'm not sure how the Isrealis pick their way through that but one things for sure, they're not going to be told by anyone, not to give it a go. I believe they have every right after last weeks events.

Malinga the Swinga
37 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Pretty hard to do a deal with an organisation that states 'an islamic state must replace Israel and Israel must be obliterated or dissolved'. This is also mantra of Hamas backers Iran.

Not a lot of wiggle room there for negotiation.

8 minutes ago, JyTees said:

You clearly have a warped mind if you think people's views of the troubles in the middle east are skewed by Celtic fans.

I don't like terrorists and have a very real problem with Islamic fundamentalists who's intention is to rid the word of the infidel. By any means. I've got a hunch that's how my view has been formed.

Why did you think I was referring to you? 

Malinga the Swinga
35 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Both are wrong.

By bloody nose do you mean killing civilians, decapitating babies and raping women or is that what you call a 'low blow'.

Personally, i would call it barbaric state sponsored Iranian terrorism.

AlphonseCapone
58 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

You've got to be at it with this surely.

Malinga the Swinga
48 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Hamas were voted in 2006. They then ran out by force the more secular Fatah politcians out of Gaza and haven't had an election since. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't react well to locals wanting them out.

No maximum term of power then? Still, according to some on here, they'll be easy to negotiate with so I'm sure a request for peaceful election would be welcomed.

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You've got to be at it with this surely.

I think he means no opposition to Hamas politically from other Palestinian political groups in Gaza. 

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I think he means no opposition to Hamas politically from other Palestinian political groups in Gaza. 

If he does then fair enough, though that's because Hamas ran the others out of town.

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

If he does then fair enough, though that's because Hamas ran the others out of town.

That’s exactly what I meant.

There is none i am aware of .

always hear such things in Iran , Syria, afghan.

nothing from Gaza, 

17 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Fascinating. Did @Spellczech edit his post after you quoted it?

I generally edit spelling typos - or add a paragraph if I feel like it. I really should read over posts first... For that one I think he chose to shorten the quote (Both his and mine should be taken as tongue firmly in cheek BTW!)

What annoys me most about this is the fact the media and particularly the press do not report the conflict with any kind of balance or parity

Israel are an invading force in Palestine . The UK helped cause the problems with our disregard for the hand over of our empire building . USA allowed apartheid in order to gain a political and practical powerful presence on the region

Speak out against the actions of Israel and you are a antisemite

Speak out against the Palestinians fighting back and you are an imperialistic Zionist 

Israel have taken land of people and just told them to suck it up because of a book of lies written centuries ago

The Muslim world justifies the murder of innocents because their on book of lies tells them that they are the people

Allowing people to enter a vast territory already occupied by people for thousands of years because a book of lies dictates their right was disgusting and unacceptable

Murdering innocent people in the pursuit of a justifiable cause like invasion and apartheid is also unacceptable 

The UK and USA are responsible for this

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I generally edit spelling typos - or add a paragraph if I feel like it. I really should read over posts first... For that one I think he chose to shorten the quote (Both his and mine should be taken as tongue firmly in cheek BTW!)

I almost never used to edit my posts - until I started posting on my phone and subjected myself to the idiosyncrasies of autocorrect. Sheesh.  On the other hand I've sometimes quoted people shortly after they've posted, only for them to edit their posts and remove the part to which I'm replying.  It's not easy disagreeing with someone who's already changed their mind. :laugh:

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

I almost never used to edit my posts - until I started posting on my phone and subjected myself to the idiosyncrasies of autocorrect. Sheesh.  On the other hand I've sometimes quoted people shortly after they've posted, only for them to edit their posts and remove the part to which I'm replying.  It's not easy disagreeing with someone who's already changed their mind. :laugh:

It's JKB though so low risk.

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

yeah me too - I stopped posting from my phone because Samsung autocorrect is so bad. I never had the same problems when I had Huawei. It seems the Chinese are better at English than the South Koreans...

Worrying thing is that I've started making a lot of typos on my computer now - unsure if it is this cheap keyboard I nicked from a place I was working, or just me...

AlphonseCapone
8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

yeah me too - I stopped posting from my phone because Samsung autocorrect is so bad. I never had the same problems when I had Huawei. It seems the Chinese are better at English than the South Koreans...

Worrying thing is that I've started making a lot of typos on my computer now - unsure if it is this cheap keyboard I nicked from a place I was working, or just me...

Dodgy workman always blames his tools, Spellczech....

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What annoys me most about this is the fact the media and particularly the press do not report the conflict with any kind of balance or parity

Israel are an invading force in Palestine . The UK helped cause the problems with our disregard for the hand over of our empire building . USA allowed apartheid in order to gain a political and practical powerful presence on the region

Speak out against the actions of Israel and you are a antisemite

Speak out against the Palestinians fighting back and you are an imperialistic Zionist 

Israel have taken land of people and just told them to suck it up because of a book of lies written centuries ago

The Muslim world justifies the murder of innocents because their on book of lies tells them that they are the people

Allowing people to enter a vast territory already occupied by people for thousands of years because a book of lies dictates their right was disgusting and unacceptable

Murdering innocent people in the pursuit of a justifiable cause like invasion and apartheid is also unacceptable 

The UK and USA are responsible for this

You make a lot of valid points but that conclusion is a bit out of the left field. For starters it was the UN which created Israel not the UK and USA - It was the usual political short-term fix because nobody wanted Jews who had been displaced at the end of WW2. The original map of the partition was a dog's breakfast of land bridges with both Israel and Palestine in 3 parts! Basically the UN fudged together a quick-fix and put off the problems for another day - which soon arose...The new "Jewish State" in the below is absolutely and totally indefensible from a military standpoint so it was never going to last one way or another.

image.thumb.png.bb3bfcb573d64a03d3625bc4dfdae1ba.png

Edited by Spellczech

49 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No maximum term of power then? Still, according to some on here, they'll be easy to negotiate with so I'm sure a request for peaceful election would be welcomed.

I doubt any negotiations with Hamas would be easy. Don't think that is justification for the actions the Israeli Government are taking unless we are saying there is really no other way and all the incoming tragedy is just unfortunate collateral damage.

15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You make a lot of valid points but that conclusion is a bit out of the left field. For starters it was the UN which created Israel not the UK and USA - It was the usual political short-term fix because nobody wanted Jews who had been displaced at the end of WW2. The original map of the partition was a dog's breakfast of land bridges with both Israel and Palestine in 3 parts! Basically the UN fudged together a quick-fix and put off the problems for another day - which soon arose...The new "Jewish State" in the below is absolutely and totally indefensible from a military standpoint so it was never going to last one way or another.

image.thumb.png.bb3bfcb573d64a03d3625bc4dfdae1ba.png

Palestine was a part of the British Empire . We pulled out like America in Afghanistan and just let the six days war happen . We originally backed the Arabic powers and sold them a glut of arms and then just walked away when America threw their might behind the Zionists . Britain should have granted independence to the region before it was handed over to the soon to be Israelis . Much the same as the sun continent we made an arse of the withdrawal and did not give a duck about the consequences post withdrawal

The Israelis just ignored the allocation of land they were given and took whatever they wanted because they were backed militarily by the lost powerful nation on the planet . They just kept on walking and nobody dared keep helping the Arab states involved because the might of the USAs support was too much . The Israelis even went after the Arab nations as they withdrew and killed a lot of them completely unnecessarily as their vanguard was so weak 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

By bloody nose do you mean killing civilians, decapitating babies and raping women or is that what you call a 'low blow'.

Personally, i would call it barbaric state sponsored Iranian terrorism.

Hard to say as fortunately I've never lived in a country where another is effectively causing me to live in apartheid, after forcing me from my homeland. I imagine I'd probably want to see their utter misery and destruction, maybe in the most horrifying ways.

You kick the shit our of your neighbour and steal their stuff for years. They smash you back one day and they are the terrorist.  Its like kicking your dog for years and one day it feck you up,  then you put it down. 

Two state solution or Israel should be moved elsewhere.  A third of the land stole nearly all the land and called it Israel.  Then they have from that day to now taken bit by bit of the rest, until total wipeout. Nuclear weapons makes Israel a very brave boy.

Just going to point out that I totally condemn Hamas and the IRA ect . No cause justifies the murder of innocent civilians . Israel are the occupying force here though 

Picture the scenario.  Germany won the battle of Britain and the war in Europe.  They push the English north and settle Germans in their place for years. Would they be happy or would they fight back with limited ways. 

🤔

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Cabbie was telling me this morning that he had a couple of Orthodox Jews in the cab on Wednesday and because of roadworks he wanted to drop them round the corner from their destination - apparently they begged him to be dropped right outside the door as they were terrified to walk the street. Similarly I have a colleague that has three kids in a Jewish school in north London (one that is not shut today) and he's arguing with his wife as she is ready to take the kids out of school and go into lockdown.

Not hearing similar storied about Palestinians in London being targeted - there is an obvious asymmetry here. 

And what most people in the UK do not realise is that EVERY Jewish school across the UK have permanently assigned armed protection guards because of the daily threats and anti-semitism. They have had for decades. Not just during periods of high tension like now BUT every day.

People would be screaming the house down if that was the state of affairs were it the same case for schools of other religions.

Imagine that at your school - armed guards to protect you