Zander Clark

Lovecraft

Off the top of my head, last season against St mirren and hibs his positioning at free kicks cost us goals.

This season he's been culpable at Dundee and again yesterday.

That's really not acceptable.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• soonbe110

• DS98

• Chimp

Ask any St Johnstone supporter and they’ll tell you that they were not that unhappy to see the back of Zander. Always a costly error in him.

Edited by Deevers

Really dont fancy McGovern, although admittedly that's based on watching him in the warm ups

Whom is the best keeper in the Scottish championship? Surely someone like that could be a suitable target?

6 minutes ago, Black Swan said:

Really dont fancy McGovern, although admittedly that's based on watching him in the warm ups

Whom is the best keeper in the Scottish championship? Surely someone like that could be a suitable target?

Recruiting from the Championship? I think we should be aspiring to greater things. There's a whole world of football leagues out there and it all seems to be better than Scotland

Just now, Life Aquatic said:

Recruiting from the Championship? I think we should be aspiring to greater things. There's a whole world of football leagues out there and it all seems to be better than Scotland

I'm just talking about a solid back up

3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Perhaps the goalkeeping coach is a problem.  Should be replaced by a jim cruickshank video. Would show our keepers how to dominate their 6 yard box

The current GK coach has overseen some duds right enough

Hasn’t really recovered from the two howlers he gifted to Killie in March   That’s when the rot really started for both Clark and Neilson   
Clark has looked short of confidence ever since  No idea what he was thinking at the goal yesterday  Amazing  that he gave Kent a shout then let it go past him  

Needs a rest though not sure Mc Govern will be any better  

21 minutes ago, Black Swan said:

He had some cracking saves in the warm up yesterday  

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He had some cracking saves in the warm up yesterday  

Oddly enough, I did notice that, but I'm still not convinced. Probably just because I'm on a such a downer. 

Edited by Black Swan

He’s gone from a steady 7 to a ropey 5.

Is it coaching or confidence ? Not sure.

For such a bear of a guy, he has no presence in his box !

He’s had some really good games but the howlers are starting to mount.
Better than flap jack, Stewart and pompadom hands - but that’s low bar stuff !

Hurry Back Craig.

Does not command his area for a big guy. OK shot stopper, but just ok. If he called to Kent to leave it yesterday, and that was crazy in a crowded goal area. Kent should have played it anyway and ignored. It is just one of several positions that could be improved. The way we are playing a goalkeeper will get plenty work that is the real problem.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Another pish signing

I thought at the time it was a decent signing but sadly he's bog standard basic. His two blunders against St Johnstone last season and yesterday reminds me of Kurskis. 

Just saw highlights after being away yesterday.

Devlin, Kent and Clarke all to blame to some extent. That said, the goalie should be chief in his box and shouldn't have let that past him.

McGovern looks shocking in the GK warm ups... struggles to kick a ball far. Not sure he's the answer. 

What about giving Harry Stone a chance since the club have hinted that he's destined for greatness? 

Pasquale for King

He can’t kick the ball either, one will barely to the half way line then the next one goes 20 yards further, they can’t judge where to be to try and win the header. He usually hits high ones that are perfect for dominant CHs to win. He excels at nothing. 
As for what they work on in training who knows. We need CG to get back and if he can’t he then needs to become GK coach. 

On 23/09/2023 at 17:51, Armageddon said:

And we see why we picked him up for free.

On 23/09/2023 at 17:52, Jasonauskas said:

Pay peanuts, get monkeys

These are ridiculous statements

He run out his contract, he was not freed by St J.

On 23/09/2023 at 18:59, feej said:

For someone who's 6ft 5ins, he doesn't command his box, he's shite when coming for cross balls, punches when a catch is easy and gets beaten to them  when appears to be favourite ie Gogic today.

I'm not sure how vocal he is either, keeper needs to help out those in front of him.

dont think 6'5" is right

On 24/09/2023 at 09:41, Black Swan said:

Off the top of my head, last season against St mirren and hibs his positioning at free kicks cost us goals.

This season he's been culpable at Dundee and again yesterday.

That's really not acceptable.

On 24/09/2023 at 11:27, soonbe110 said:

Hasn’t really recovered from the two howlers he gifted to Killie in March   That’s when the rot really started for both Clark and Neilson   
Clark has looked short of confidence ever since  No idea what he was thinking at the goal yesterday  Amazing  that he gave Kent a shout then let it go past him  

Needs a rest though not sure Mc Govern will be any better  

I thought he was solid up to the Killie game too. from there it has been too many needless goals.

The free kick position ones were terrible

Can't see us getting another keeper in, we will make do until Gordon comes back which can't be soon enough. You don't realise how many points a season he wins you until he's not there. He makes saves that no other keeper in the league can make that turn 1 point into 3 or 0 into 1. Massive player and can't wait until he's back between the sticks. 

On 23/09/2023 at 16:10, Lovecraft said:

Is pish.  

Get the new guy in till Craig is back FFS

He is quite simply one of the best shot stoppers in the SPFL, and can get to balls that other keepers cant get to.,.,.,.,.,.,.BUT (didnt you know there was going to be one !).....I've been saying on here from his fifth game that ZC's dealing with cross balls is diabolical......check back goals we have lost and you'll note that the percentage of goals/chances conceded due to his cross ball flapping or strange decisions is disturbing. On Saturday he called for the ball then dithered - hence another goal lost. While its great having a keeper that can produce top class saves, having confidence in this player from your defence is paramount - and we dont have that......if your defence doesnt have confidence in its keeper then dis-organisation spreads due to the old "should I just clear this ball to be safe or not" syndrome.  When your defence is not organised the team as a whole is in trouble. With folk wanting him out though - Ironically, Craig Gordon (during the season where he got his leg break) was having a semi-mare as he was at fault for 5 goals lost which for a great keeper who wears a red cape was astounding. McGovern time ??? - if only even to get the defence back properly focussed with his (hopefully) confidence/cross dealing/defence organising. 

19 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Can't see us getting another keeper in, we will make do until Gordon comes back which can't be soon enough. You don't realise how many points a season he wins you until he's not there. He makes saves that no other keeper in the league can make that turn 1 point into 3 or 0 into 1. Massive player and can't wait until he's back between the sticks. 

CG saved us so so many points with out of this world saves you wouldnt believe -----but not for the games prior to his injury where he admitted that he was off form and cost us goals by a few faux pas. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

dont think 6'5" is right

I thought he was solid up to the Killie game too. from there it has been too many needless goals.

He's been disappointing, I thought he was better than this.

4 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

I would play McGovern tonight. Clark has looked shaky, his kicking is crap and he had a howler at Rugby park last season

If we don’t play McGovern tonight there’s no point in paying him a wage. 

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

dont think 6'5" is right

👍yes big disappointment but then there had to be a reason he was playing for St.Johnstone. 

He started of well but is gradually getting worse,  don't think he can cope with playing for Hearts. 

Like a few other players he's turned into  bit of a disappointment and i for one never seem that coming.

He had an amazing chance to rubber stamp the number 1 spot at a club our size. A free run at it for almost a year. After a very solid few months he’s slowly shown why he was an out of work bottom 6 keeper.

Gordon has been back in full training for a week or so now and barring any setbacks should be back between the sticks by November.

Thank ****.

Thought he should have moved off his line for the cross into the six Yard box that ultimately led to the Kili equaliser, FFS. 

Staying on his line leaves him with little or no chance. 

Just another opinion, lol

1 minute ago, NLTFTh said:

Thought he should have moved off his line for the cross into the six Yard box that ultimately led to the Kili equaliser, FFS. 

Seen it several times. The cross was well away from him imo. Defenders needed to do better.  

Similarly to Rowles after the Dons game, credit where credit is due. He had a very solid game. 

Swallow, summer etc but it’s encouraging for his confidence. 

50 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Seen it several times. The cross was well away from him imo. Defenders needed to do better.  

I'll go 50-50 on that.  both culpable IMO.  But he did have two cracking saves.

6 hours ago, chrystaf said:

I'll go 50-50 on that.  both culpable IMO.  But he did have two cracking saves.

I replayed their goal a number of times and, at first I thought that Clark should have come for the cross.  However, at best it would have been on the extreme edge of getting it. 

The shape of the Cross, fast and inswinging made it extremely problematic.  Defence caught out. 

9 hours ago, NLTFTh said:

Tbf if Gordon was in goal we’d have conceded as well as he never comes off his line. When Clark first came in to the side last season we actually stopped conceding as many goals and that was partly due to him coming for crosses and helping out the defence, something Gordon has never done in his career. 

Gordon is by far the better keeper though I can’t wait to see him back in the starting line up. 

10 hours ago, NLTFTh said:

Disagree. He only has no chance because the header is very good. At the point he decides to stay on his line he doesn't know that. If he comes for it and doesn't make it, which given the nature of the cross looks quite likely, then suddenly even a poor header goes into an open goal. I think Clark plays the percentages well on this occasion 

You could argue that the central defenders need to deal with it better by stopping a clean header or that Sibbick needs to block the cross. But in reality, I think it is a nice bit of skill to beat Sibbick, then an excellent cross and a very good header. It is just an all round good goal.

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The cross was in the air long enough though for him to move 5 yards and punch imo. 

That's the sort of cross we all take in warm ups, the term used being"crossing practice", just like most of the crosses Hearts put into the box during game time. 

Yes the cross @ source should have been blocked and those in the box must do better. 

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Yeah don't think we can blame Clark there. Thought Sibbick's attempt to stop the cross was horrific. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Much better game last night, few decent stops and looked more interested at least for crosses. No blame for the goal, the proximity, deflection, angle of the ball against him, culmination of pressure, I wouldn't even blame Sibbick, the game had just become a bit frenetic and stretched for us at that point.