Sporting Director ( merged )

heatonjambo

1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I dont really understand what Joe is responsible for and therefore find it hard to gauge performance. Quite possible   I just haven't been listening properly.

Negotiating contracts and overseeing all of the footballing staff except first team management is how I understand it 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• OTT

• heatonjambo

• Ricardo Quaresma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Negotiating contracts and overseeing all of the footballing staff except first team management is how I understand it 

Sounds like an HR role. Think they would benefit from explaining the playing staff recruitment pipeline. From identifying need, to identifying the fit for that need, the initial approach, the negotiation thereafter, including autonomies for salary and length of contract etc. No need to breach any commercial confidences, a simple explanation of pipeline would put a lot of the noise to rest.

Like i say club may have done so and i missed it, as my attention span aint superb.

Doesnt look like I would be the only one though.

3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Sounds like an HR role. Think they would benefit from explaining the playing staff recruitment pipeline. From identifying need, to identifying the fit for that need, the initial approach, the negotiation thereafter, including autonomies for salary and length of contract etc. No need to breach any commercial confidences, a simple explanation of pipeline would put a lot of the noise to rest.

Like i say club may have done so and i missed it, as my attention span aint superb.

Doesnt look like I would be the only one though.

For the most part we only pay attention to one thing, and the truth is that we're raging at shite results from a great run of fixtures and gnashing our collective teeth accordingly.

But I reckon there's enough quality in our signings to lift things once they start to click.

Could be wrong, but I'm an eternal optimist!

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

It was never his job . It has been covered extensively in interviews and statements . Savage and Neilson were on an equal footing with McKinlay as their boss , reporting to the board in turn

He has never been his boss and I doubt he is Naismith’s boss . McKinlay even did an interview a few months ago where he explained the reasons he had to get rid of Neilson and explained how the conversation went with him

I realise you are frustrated at our poor start to the season , and it is understandable that you are desperate for someone to blame , but can you at least get the right person 

If you read that back, and I’m not saying you’re wrong, it’s an utterly ridiculous set up. Why have Savage? What is his input into the football side of the club? He’s the sporting director his number one focus should be on continuous improvement of predominantly the first team using all available resource, academy, B Team, recruitment. We’ve simply not improved by any great measure during his time. 

As for McKinley he also said they were looking for an experienced manager and a number of other things which we all know now not to be the case.

I’m not frustrated or desperate, I’m calling it as it is. In previous roles these guys might have been able to say one thing and do another but when they’re telling the fan base what there plans are then I suggest if they don’t want criticism they do as they say. 

On 18/08/2023 at 21:32, Waterboy said:

Reached 7 signings quicker than we have done in the past 2 seasons.  And overall the squad at this point in the season is looking the best it has over the 3 years.  Tag your favourite pant wetter! 😉

image.thumb.png.4713d4b2de019efa2bd6276b25baf0ee.png

image.png.a36f4aa97c2b0f0b06575ea17ac480eb.png

26 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

If you read that back, and I’m not saying you’re wrong, it’s an utterly ridiculous set up. Why have Savage? What is his input into the football side of the club? He’s the sporting director his number one focus should be on continuous improvement of predominantly the first team using all available resource, academy, B Team, recruitment. We’ve simply not improved by any great measure during his time. 

As for McKinley he also said they were looking for an experienced manager and a number of other things which we all know now not to be the case.

I’m not frustrated or desperate, I’m calling it as it is. In previous roles these guys might have been able to say one thing and do another but when they’re telling the fan base what there plans are then I suggest if they don’t want criticism they do as they say. 

Savage’s job has primarily been to improve the playing squad. 

I have attached the squad he inherited below, with @Waterboy’s graphic of how the squad has changed over time above. 

It is pretty obvious our squad has improved significantly. 

IMG_9796.jpeg

IMG_9797.jpeg

Edited by CMc

1 hour ago, CMc said:

Savage’s job has primarily been to improve the playing squad. 

I have attached the squad he inherited below, with @Waterboy’s graphic of how the squad has changed over time above. 

It is pretty obvious our squad has improved significantly. 

IMG_9796.jpeg

IMG_9797.jpeg

That’s all a red herring, look at the resources available to him of course things have improved but did we really need him to do so? Also recruitment it seems isn’t his remit either. 

47 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

That’s all a red herring, look at the resources available to him of course things have improved but did we really need him to do so? Also recruitment it seems isn’t his remit either. 

Eh? So we’re angry because things have improved?

Of course recruitment is part of his remit. Manager might have final say on we go after, but Savage clearly does a huge amount of the work. You’ve got 15,000 posts on here, you must know this?

Also…

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Why have Savage? What is his input into the football side of the club? He’s the sporting director his number one focus should be on continuous improvement of predominantly the first team using all available resource, academy, B Team, recruitment. We’ve simply not improved by any great measure during his time. 

51 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

1 hour ago, CMc said:

Eh? So we’re angry because things have improved?

Of course recruitment is part of his remit. Manager might have final say on we go after, but Savage clearly does a huge amount of the work. You’ve got 15,000 posts on here, you must know this?

This is where my problem with him sits. He’s happy enough to take the plaudits when things are going well, not so keen when they’re not to stand up and be counted. My recent posts on him are centred around his latest foray into the papers where he’s coming across as a paper shuffler with little responsibility for recruitment and he shouldn’t be subject to scrutiny.

He himself claimed he’d have us challenging the old firm, complete bravado it may well have been but the reality is we’re not even getting closer to them never mind an actual challenge. If anything were still in the dog fight with the rest the same place we’ve always been.

I’ve said it already the club isn’t improving at the rate our resources dictate, and Savage in his role as sporting director needs to be taking the heat for that. Fans are saying his signings are decent but really what’s the gauge on that, they’re not any better than Aberdeens, on par with Hibs? If that’s where we should be then fine just don’t give it the big I am about 3rd and Europe not to mention the gap to the old firm then deliver what’s there.

If his role, maybe you can tell me exactly what it is, consists of creating a strong football philosophy throughout the club he’s failing badly. Do any of the teams even play the same formations, the same style? He should be setting the direction for the club and personally I don’t see it. 

I don’t know him to dislike him but I don’t think he’s delivering enough and I don’t much care for the sound bites where he deflects most things onto others.

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

This is where my problem with him sits. He’s happy enough to take the plaudits when things are going well, not so keen when they’re not to stand up and be counted. My recent posts on him are centred around his latest foray into the papers where he’s coming across as a paper shuffler with little responsibility for recruitment and he shouldn’t be subject to scrutiny.

He himself claimed he’d have us challenging the old firm, complete bravado it may well have been but the reality is we’re not even getting closer to them never mind an actual challenge. If anything were still in the dog fight with the rest the same place we’ve always been.

I’ve said it already the club isn’t improving at the rate our resources dictate, and Savage in his role as sporting director needs to be taking the heat for that. Fans are saying his signings are decent but really what’s the gauge on that, they’re not any better than Aberdeens, on par with Hibs? If that’s where we should be then fine just don’t give it the big I am about 3rd and Europe not to mention the gap to the old firm then deliver what’s there.

If his role, maybe you can tell me exactly what it is, consists of creating a strong football philosophy throughout the club he’s failing badly. Do any of the teams even play the same formations, the same style? He should be setting the direction for the club and personally I don’t see it. 

I don’t know him to dislike him but I don’t think he’s delivering enough and I don’t much care for the sound bites where he deflects most things onto others.

So fundamentally, you just don’t like the cut of his jib?

12 hours ago, Sooks said:

And when signings are good it’s his signing if they are shite nothing to do with him.

Wish I had that remit un sackable 

Only at Hearts

2 minutes ago, bawheed said:

And when signings are good it’s his signing if they are shite nothing to do with him.

Wish I had that remit un sackable 

Only at Hearts

I think that is pure perception and ignorant conjecture tbh mate

The remit of sporting director will have an appraisal hierarchy in place 

Joe Savage gets a very raw deal from some sections of our support. Whilst we can all speculate as to what he does or doesn’t do, the one underlying thing is our playing and signing budget. It is part of Joes job to iron out all monetary terms with a players agent. If they don’t accept our terms then they don’t sign. Joe has repeatedly went back to the board to ask for increase to get certain deals over the line. If the board draw a line in the sand and say that’s our limit then the player is lost.

I know of at least 6 targets he’s Identified and they’ve fallen through due to the terms not being met. We are shopping in the ‘we have to cut our cloth accordingly’ markets these days and the blame for marquee signings should not be laid at the door of JS. It’s also Joes job to ship out the players the manager doesn’t want. We were actively searching for clubs to take some playing personnel on loan so as to free up cash to bring better quality replacements in. Our squad is already bloated  so we have to ship out first so we can ship in better. 

Joe has a very specific and complex role at the club including doing all the dirty work and hard yards that no one sees. Naisy couldn’t do both jobs as there wouldn’t be enough hours in the day, hence the need for a sporting director. Anyone that thinks JS is a liability to HMFC doesn’t understand the inner workings of a football club which is primarily a business. You won’t find anyone on the payroll of HMFC criticising JS and the work he does and least of all his employer. Why is it that certain elements of our support feel the need for the personal abuse? If they actually took time out to speak with Joe on a personal level then he’s a very likeable and knowledgeable individual with very strong core values. 

The club both on and off the park are moving in the right direction but not quick enough for some people it would seem. They’ve already explained the need for commercial activities away from the obligatory match days and this is to increase our revenue and infrastructure to ensure a sound footing for the club for years to come. Sustainability is what we are aiming for and as our revenue increases so will the quality of signings and wages. We can’t afford another Malaury Martin, Conner Sammon, and other charlatans like Loic Damour who we eventually paid to get out the door. Every signing needs to earn their keep. 

2 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Joe Savage gets a very raw deal from some sections of our support. Whilst we can all speculate as to what he does or doesn’t do, the one underlying thing is our playing and signing budget. It is part of Joes job to iron out all monetary terms with a players agent. If they don’t accept our terms then they don’t sign. Joe has repeatedly went back to the board to ask for increase to get certain deals over the line. If the board draw a line in the sand and say that’s our limit then the player is lost.

I know of at least 6 targets he’s Identified and they’ve fallen through due to the terms not being met. We are shopping in the ‘we have to cut our cloth accordingly’ markets these days and the blame for marquee signings should not be laid at the door of JS. It’s also Joes job to ship out the players the manager doesn’t want. We were actively searching for clubs to take some playing personnel on loan so as to free up cash to bring better quality replacements in. Our squad is already bloated  so we have to ship out first so we can ship in better. 

Joe has a very specific and complex role at the club including doing all the dirty work and hard yards that no one sees. Naisy couldn’t do both jobs as there wouldn’t be enough hours in the day, hence the need for a sporting director. Anyone that thinks JS is a liability to HMFC doesn’t understand the inner workings of a football club which is primarily a business. You won’t find anyone on the payroll of HMFC criticising JS and the work he does and least of all his employer. Why is it that certain elements of our support feel the need for the personal abuse? If they actually took time out to speak with Joe on a personal level then he’s a very likeable and knowledgeable individual with very strong core values. 

The club both on and off the park are moving in the right direction but not quick enough for some people it would seem. They’ve already explained the need for commercial activities away from the obligatory match days and this is to increase our revenue and infrastructure to ensure a sound footing for the club for years to come. Sustainability is what we are aiming for and as our revenue increases so will the quality of signings and wages. We can’t afford another Malaury Martin, Conner Sammon, and other charlatans like Loic Damour who we eventually paid to get out the door. Every signing needs to earn their keep. 

In fairness, I was very impressed how quickly we got Kio out of the club and the rumour seems to be we got back what we paid, which was decent all things considered. 

I think when things go wrong, anger will be directly every which way. Budge & McKinley have both got it in the neck multiple times too. I think the view of the average supporter is that Savage is ultimately responsible for all footballing matters - it doesn't mean he's the one ****ing up at an operational level, but that the people he has brought in haven't done well enough - e.g. in recruitment for arguments sake. 

Based on current showings, I think Savage is doing a good job. Levein did a poor job, and you could see why it was a poor job - recruitment had no rhyme or rhythm to it, whereas we seem to have a very clear idea of the type of player we want under Savage. I'm not sure if this is coming from hime or elsewhere but Beni, Atkinson, Rowles, Sibbick, Callem, Devlin, Neilson, Vargas, Oda etc, all fit a very clear category in age and I think opportunity to develop further. Whereas under Levein it was Sammon to Mulraney to Tziolis to Cowie without the appearance of much planning. 

We're also starting to see snippets of youngsters getting game time which suggests the direction of the academy under McAvoy was going in the right direction - personally I'm a bit confused on why we brought in Webster who has so little experience, especially after Arnott failing so miserably. But hopefully Webster can keep the momentum that the academy seemed to be gaining under McAvoy - Pollock and Denholm, with hopefully Tait still to come later this season. 

30 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Good post. Joe seems to getting slammed by some on recruitment. 

Personally, I think the weakest members of this squad are better than those in any team since the early Vlad days. Grant and Forrest for example would make the bench at least of any team since then. Also, as you say, we regularly had at least one horrible mistake on massive wages seeing out their contact. That has stopped under savage. 

10 minutes ago, CMc said:

Good post. Joe seems to getting slammed by some on recruitment. 

Personally, I think the weakest members of this squad are better than those in any team since the early Vlad days. Grant and Forrest for example would make the bench at least of any team since then. Also, as you say, we regularly had at least one horrible mistake on massive wages seeing out their contact. That has stopped under savage. 

Yip I am in no mood to return to the days of Martin , Damour and Oshaniwa thank you very much 

One of the things I find hard to understand is that many fans think they can or at least should have enough information to decide whether every member of staff as at Hearts is doing a good enough job on an individual basis. My view is that for anyone's job that isn't directly visible on match day, we will never be able to reach a sensible informed judgement and you just have to trust the club to be doing that behind the scenes.

Take player recruitment. We don't have enough visibility of the process to know who has said what during the process between individual scouts, data analysts, the head of recruitment, the manager, the director of football and the CEO. We can make an informed judgement if whether the club's recruitment has been up to scratch but not tell where the responsibility lies on individuals. I find even more bizarre those that want to get rid of most of the recruitment team because they don't have that insight.

Within my own organisation, even most of my colleagues don't have enough visibility of what I am doing for me to be comfortable with them appraising my performance. The idea that people outside the organisation would try to do so would be utterly weird.

I know I am fighting a losing battle on this one, but I just don't get it.

12 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think that is pure perception and ignorant conjecture tbh mate

The remit of sporting director will have an appraisal hierarchy in place 

That’s a good summary a job doing not very much and having no accountability.

19 minutes ago, bawheed said:

That’s a good summary a job doing not very much and having no accountability.

You realise that’s the opposite of what he said, right?

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Maybe start doing your job properly, Savage

He's one of those guys who thinks he's gallous. Probably swaggers aboot Tynecastle,  the big I am.

Edited by ri Alban

Seriously fans defending this guy on here need to wake up, he’s the sporting director. The team is pony not even close to where it should be, the manager is a novice, one academy player spectating from the bench and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. He needs to go, take his projects with him and let’s get someone who can drive us forward.

Francis Albert
On 03/09/2023 at 17:54, Leveins Battalion said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Will Lancefield is the problem.

Who?

The personal abuse is not needed.

You can criticise the guy without mentioning family other hateful stuff etc.

Personally speaking i want him replaced.

But then i want Naismith to stay while many others want him gone.

GINO situation has harmed us big time.

14 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Seriously fans defending this guy on here need to wake up, he’s the sporting director. The team is pony not even close to where it should be, the manager is a novice, one academy player spectating from the bench and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. He needs to go, take his projects with him and let’s get someone who can drive us forward.

Absolutely!

Gordon Ramsay
16 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Nail on head. 

4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

100% 

Leveins Battalion

As he has the title of Sporting Director I assume that involves the performance of the Club as a competitive 'Sporting' entity?

In that case the guy is brutal,we are as bad now as anytime i can remember,4 points of 11th with a horrific run to come.

I was mocked on here at the start of the season for saying this was a bottom 6 squad.

Lose Shankland to injury and its a relegation team imo.

25 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

As he has the title of Sporting Director I assume that involves the performance of the Club as a competitive 'Sporting' entity?

In that case the guy is brutal,we are as bad now as anytime i can remember,4 points of 11th with a horrific run to come.

I was mocked on here at the start of the season for saying this was a bottom 6 squad.

Lose Shankland to injury and its a relegation team imo.

When his signings work he is lauded as a recruitment guru but when they don’t work some fans seem to want to excuse his role in signing them. Not just talking about our situation right now. 

Who at Hearts is holding folk to be accountable?

Great place to work

Do your job a few days a season and just talk a lot. Safe.

Are questions asked after no shows like yesterday you reckon? 
Or is it just. “Expect to get beat…Financial disparity…Can’t compete…Move on…”?

pettigrewsstylist
23 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

If he is indeed repeatedely "identifying" people we are not able to attract within budget then that seems a waste of everyones time, particularly if it means we are late to party when we go back shopping in our real boundaries.

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Thoughts on who you would like as a replacement? 

Don't think we do TBH. 

Think Savage is doing whats asked of him and is suffering from supporter misunderstanding of his role. 

The club could do with clarifying his remit so we stop confusing him with Leveins role which seemed to be a lot more "active" in terms of dictating strategy, style of play etc. whereas I think Savage is more back office (which I don't like TBF)

On 22/10/2023 at 09:31, SMJ_1874 said:

Are you telling us Joe Savage identifies players we can’t afford? Surely the board say here’s the budget, the manager says here’s what I need and the Sporting Director works within those parameters? If Savage isn’t in control of this with the various people who report to him then I’d suggest he is failing at his job. We don’t have a right back at the moment, why not? We have a recruitment team, a B team and a rather expensive academy? 

The commercial activities have nothing to do with him or certainly they shouldn’t, and if Savage is being spread to thin to fulfil the fundamentals of his role the the board need to fix that asap!

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Do we need a replacement? 

Personally I would like to see us get a Sporting Director/DOF that's matches Our philosophy/style of play and managers beliefs and mindset.

That doesn't mean to say I'm right.

I want to give Naismith time.

So I'm all for opinions, I sometimes think that's what is wrong with Hearts,they don't read the room and go on basic thoughts a safe approach if you will.

Joe hasn't done a bad as such 50/50 with him in my opinion, and unless you are Brightons or Brentfords scouting network that's what you are going to get with Joe.

Some players value for money ,others nowhere near.

I would like us to enquire about getting thoughts and opinions from clubs like Brentford and Brighton and how they run such steady clubs.

Davie Weir is at Brighton so I don't think it would be much an issue,infact Brentford too Hickey Is currently there so i reckon they would welcome us with open arms.

I'm open to others opinions.

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Are you telling us Joe Savage identifies players we can’t afford? Surely the board say here’s the budget, the manager says here’s what I need and the Sporting Director works within those parameters? If Savage isn’t in control of this with the various people who report to him then I’d suggest he is failing at his job. We don’t have a right back at the moment, why not? We have a recruitment team, a B team and a rather expensive academy? 

The commercial activities have nothing to do with him or certainly they shouldn’t, and if Savage is being spread to thin to fulfil the fundamentals of his role the the board need to fix that asap!

I don't think its quite that - the Aussie winger that ultimately joined Middlesbrough - Samuel Silvera, he was entirely affordable when he was at Central Coast, transfer fee & wages - we got Rowles for example from there, and I think Hibs have taken Lewis Miller too? - Anyway, he was affordable until Middlesbrough gazzumped us. 

I think we're in an unfortunate position of needing players bigger clubs are happy to take a chance on and that often means wages rule us out. But we can't know going into the potential deal if there is an English club with comparatively limitless resources competing for his signature too. 

colinmorewasgash

Weir recommended cochrane and vargas apparently as brighton looked at vargas. Pub landlord is not in charge of recruitment he says and doesnt like criticism of his work or his appearance but happy enough on jollies abroad.

0_Hearts-of-Midlothian-Media-Access.jpg

40 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Personally I would like to see us get a Sporting Director/DOF that's matches Our philosophy/style of play and managers beliefs and mindset.

That doesn't mean to say I'm right.

I want to give Naismith time.

So I'm all for opinions, I sometimes think that's what is wrong with Hearts,they don't read the room and go on basic thoughts a safe approach if you will.

Joe hasn't done a bad as such 50/50 with him in my opinion, and unless you are Brightons or Brentfords scouting network that's what you are going to get with Joe.

Some players value for money ,others nowhere near.

I would like us to enquire about getting thoughts and opinions from clubs like Brentford and Brighton and how they run such steady clubs.

Davie Weir is at Brighton so I don't think it would be much an issue,infact Brentford too Hickey Is currently there so i reckon they would welcome us with open arms.

I'm open to others opinions.

It’s impossible to tell as we don’t really know what he does, we do know we have a head of recruitment who probably doesn’t know where Tynecastle is I assume he reports to Savage. I have no understanding of our scouting network but I know we do a lot of data analysis work which is ok as a starting point but certainly shouldn’t be the only method of recruitment.

Like any business we need strong leaders and everyone pulling in the same direction, I don’t think that’s the case with Hearts. Commercially perhaps they do but when it comes to football there’s no cohesion. 

10 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It’s impossible to tell as we don’t really know what he does, we do know we have a head of recruitment who probably doesn’t know where Tynecastle is I assume he reports to Savage. I have no understanding of our scouting network but I know we do a lot of data analysis work which is ok as a starting point but certainly shouldn’t be the only method of recruitment.

Like any business we need strong leaders and everyone pulling in the same direction, I don’t think that’s the case with Hearts. Commercially perhaps they do but when it comes to football there’s no cohesion. 

Going to say it out loud mate,I believe we are skint.

Roles should be clarified and easy to understand,it's almost like Savage is telling us what his job is? Surely it should be the other way no? The club as I said seems to be very backward just now.

You look at any other sporting director/ DOF and its easy for fans to judge them.

With us it's the complete opposite.

I backed Naismith and still do.

With that comes a responsibility and you can't hide.

It seems some are hiding just now and just like at times when Levein was DOF when things aren't as going as good,they go invisible and don't want to take any responsibility for criticism.

The personal stuff is out of order.

Joe savage can be criticised without the need of being abusive or threatening towards him.

But ultimately he can't hide when the going gets tough,and that's what appears to be happening, the club are choosing when they want to be transparent and open with fans.

Edited by Bongo 1874

12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Going to say it out loud mate,I believe we are skint.

Roles should be clarified and easy to understand,it's almost like Savage is telling us what his job is? Surely it should be the other way no? The club as I said seems to be very backward just now.

You look at any other sporting director/ DOF and its easy for fans to judge them.

With us it's the complete opposite.

I backed Naismith and still do.

With that comes a responsibility and you can't hide.

It seems some are hiding just now and just like at times when Levein was DOF when things aren't as going as good,they go invisible and don't want to take any responsibility for criticism.

The personal stuff is out of order.

Joe savage can be criticised without the need of being abusive or threatening towards him.

But ultimately he can't hide when the going gets tough,and that's what appears to be happening, the club are choosing when they want to be transparent and open with fans.

100% convinced the failure in qualifying for European group stages and the hotel construction (won’t be ready this year btw) has had major consequences for the club going forward, our budgets have been effected, of that there is absolutely no doubt 

My issue with ,not just Savage, but his team is with the quality of recruitment. I read people on here saying we have a great squad and that the fault lies with Naismith or previously Robbie. If we had such a great squad I believe results and play would be better despite who manages. Managers don't make players make bad passes, poor tackles, lose aerial duals, sclaff shots, not track runners,etc etc.

If we had a great squad bigger clubs would be making bids for our players. Can we honestly see many of our current squad playing at a higher level than they currently are. Perhaps a fully fit Beni and obviously Craig Gordon has played at a high level perhaps a fully fit Halkett. Savage has previously stated that our strategy is to uncover young players from unfashionable leagues with playing and sell on potential who will improve not only the squad but the team. I see decent players but very little with real quality despite spending a few quid.

No doubt we have and continue to be blighted by injuries to key players. No team outside the OF would cope with the number of injuries we had had to our best players. However the failure to bring in good replacements or in the case of centre half last year and right back this year, none, is on Savage and his team. In years gone by we struggled to hold on to our best players as the OF or English clubs plucked the best for sweeties. No one is interested in ours now.

Leveins Battalion
19 hours ago, jbee647 said:

100% convinced the failure in qualifying for European group stages and the hotel construction (won’t be ready this year btw) has had major consequences for the club going forward, our budgets have been effected, of that there is absolutely no doubt 

In that case the appointment of an experienced Manager was even more critical IMO.