Nieuwenhof ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

He's a stroller and sometimes when the opposition have played high press he's looked a bit overrun, then in the second half he's had a bit more time and when the opposition have tired, and he can show his quality in possession and reading the game.

But yesterday he looked like he's got to grips with the pace of the game here and hopefully can continue his progress.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• The Black Prince

• Chimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete Elliott
14 minutes ago, Hansel said:

He's a stroller and sometimes when the opposition have played high press he's looked a bit overrun, then in the second half he's had a bit more time and when the opposition have tired, and he can show his quality in possession and reading the game.

But yesterday he looked like he's got to grips with the pace of the game here and hopefully can continue his progress.

His confidence to have a pop at goal has definitely improved too since his first goal. Plenty more goals to come I feel. Good to have a goal threat from midfield with him from outside the box and (hopefully) Fraser arriving late in the box.

I P Knightley
54 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I swear I think some of the ish with Hoff is that frankly he looks a lot more like the 20 year old at the T-Mobile cabin setting you up with a prepaid burner phone than a professional footballer. :lol: He just doesn't *look* like someone who's going to dust Youan for pace.

:biglaugh:

I was trying to come up with an analogy earlier when I described him as not looking like a proper sportsman but none came to mind. The lad in the phone shop wearing a corporate quarter-zip fleece (with pride!) is perfect!!

2 hours ago, Pete Elliott said:

So you looked at posters saying:

“Could leave tomorrow and I wouldn’t lose sleep”

“Wage thief”

”Get rid”

”Send him back on the first plane to Australia”

and still came to the conclusion posters weren’t writing him off.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No, I said often the criticism isn't writing someone off. Often it's just criticism.

I then said "I don't recall" seeing it at all, which was clearly tongue in cheek based on you and a few others claiming nobody claimed he was great early doors which they did.

Of course some wrote him off. Same knee jerk reaction as those who were heralding him (and Kuol previous) as the second coming before they'd had any meaningful game time.

Anyway, I've no skin in the game. I reckoned he was unathletic and when playing deep appeared to hide but said it was too early to tell definitively. He's looked a new player since moving a bit further forward and is getting better every week 👍

52 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I was trying to come up with an analogy earlier when I described him as not looking like a proper sportsman but none came to mind. The lad in the phone shop wearing a corporate quarter-zip fleece (with pride!) is perfect!!

Theres a touch of Napoleon Dynamite about him!

Kye is the same. Looks nowt like a footballer, whatever that means! Kye works in HSE and takes it very seriously. Wears a short-sleeved crisp white shirt, with tie.  Enjoys unwinding by playing dungeons and dragons online.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kye is the same. Looks nowt like a footballer, whatever that means! Kye works in HSE and takes it very seriously. Wears a short-sleeved crisp white shirt, with tie.  Enjoys unwinding by playing dungeons and dragons online.

:rofl:good one!

Years ago in the NFL I read someone say about the great Drew Brees that if he were in a room full of sportswriters the only way you could tell him apart was that he wouldn't have food on his shirt.

Pete Elliott
57 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, I said often the criticism isn't writing someone off. Often it's just criticism.

You literally said “very few” posters wrote him off after I provided a load of posts doing exactly that. It was a bizarre thing to say. At least own it or it does very much come across as having some bizarre skin in the game.

7 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

You literally said “very few” posters wrote him off after I provided a load of posts doing exactly that. It was a bizarre thing to say. At least own it or it does very much come across as having some bizarre skin in the game.

I still believe very few said he'll never come good. I do stand by that.

Your post included some very critical posts but thry didn't say he'd never come good, and even if they did, you've a funny definition of a 'load of people'.

Given that, I'll leave you to whatever you're trying to prove 👍

Edited by Taffin

I P Knightley
49 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Again, :biglaugh: 

As a member of the centre-half club, I look at such players differently to you mere mortals and, therefore, hadn't made the same connection about Rowles. But you're right and that moustache really didn't (doesn't) help! He's come back from the Asian Cup with a bit of a wave going on in his hair, so maybe he's getting a little devil-may-care. A few weeks back with the gang and he'll have his four Bic biros neatly in the chest pocket of his shirt. 

"Where would they work if they didn't play for the JTs?" has to be a separate thread - but we'd still get all the bitching and posturing. 

Pete Elliott
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I still believe very few said he'll never come good. I do stand by that.

Your post included some very critical posts but thry didn't say he'd never come good, and even if they did, you've a funny definition of a 'load of people'.

Given that, I'll leave you to whatever you're trying to prove 👍

I jumped to a couple of pages of the thread and within a couple of minutes found five separate posters who had written him off (unless you're obtuse enough to try and pretend that phrases like “get rid” and “send him home” aren’t writing him off). I suspect there’s plenty more where they came from.

Bizarrely though you claimed the worst thing on the thread was people claiming he was “brilliant” after just a few games but strangely enough couldn’t give any examples. Most people simply said it was too early to judge.

You’ve had an absolute nightmare here and I’m not surprised you’re desperate to exit. I would be too if I were you.

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

For some reason I couldn't get Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold in national lampoons out of my mind when I first saw him run.

He's a very good player though.

Bio | Chevy Chase

Edited by scott herbertson

4 hours ago, Pete Elliott said:

Yep, there was definitely nobody writing him off 😳

At the start of the season he looked poor, remember the Partick game? Hopefully he will continue to get better.

Pete Elliott
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

At the start of the season he looked poor, remember the Partick game? Hopefully he will continue to get better.

He did have some poor games. Those with half a brain knew it would be foolish to write him off so soon. The brainless jumped in with both feet.

Just now, Pete Elliott said:

He did have some poor games. Those with half a brain knew it would be foolish to write him off so soon. The brainless jumped in with both feet.

It’s still early days, only the foolish would call him a star after a few good games.

He was hopeless for a while.   He's definitely improving by the week and is starting show the type of form that got him the move from the A league in the first place. I hope it continues. 🙏 

Pete Elliott
9 minutes ago, McCrae said:

It’s still early days, only the foolish would call him a star after a few good games.

Absolutely. Some very promising signs there though and the potential is beginning to turn into complete performances.

He was never "hopeless" or "terrible". He just needed to start imposing himself on game more and he's done that recently.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Again, :biglaugh: 

As a member of the centre-half club, I look at such players differently to you mere mortals and, therefore, hadn't made the same connection about Rowles. But you're right and that moustache really didn't (doesn't) help! He's come back from the Asian Cup with a bit of a wave going on in his hair, so maybe he's getting a little devil-may-care. A few weeks back with the gang and he'll have his four Bic biros neatly in the chest pocket of his shirt. 

"Where would they work if they didn't play for the JTs?" has to be a separate thread - but we'd still get all the bitching and posturing. 

Cam would be working the summer in Ibiza but heading to Canada to do a snowboarding season out there. Do the chalets, pick up a bit bar work n that. Goin with the flow, mate

Toby would be a GAP model

Jorge Grant a ghost tour guide

Alex, Kenny and Oda in a boyband. But not a good one. Managed by Boycie, who theres questions about in years to come.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

🤣🤣🤣

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Cam would be working the summer in Ibiza but heading to Canada to do a snowboarding season out there. Do the chalets, pick up a bit bar work n that. Goin with the flow, mate

Alex, Kenny and Oda in a boyband. But not a good one. Managed by Boycie, who theres questions about in years to come.

:lol:

On 17/09/2023 at 15:30, kingantti1874 said:

So in breaking news.  He’s not shite then 👌🏻 who’d have thought 

Modern day John Millar - I think. Anyone else agree?

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Outstanding, these need to go over in the new thread IP started.

cosanostra

He's a terrific, clean striker of the ball. Keeps it down superbly with accuracy. I get the impression if we continue to lay the ball off to him anywhere around the edge of the box, it'll take a great save to stop him.

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

If he starts scoring some headers maybe 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, JohnB said:

Nah, Hoff is a tidier player.

Miller was very average had the knack scoring tho.

3 hours ago, JAYEL said:

Thanks for posting. Turning into a very important player for us. Close to motm in last two games. Well done Calem and the coaches. 

Gordon Ramsay

I'm delighted he's coming good and happy to be proven wrong. That turn in midfield near the end of the game on Sunday, seriously classy stuff.

Still think he's built/looks like a child though.

colinmaroon
12 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I'm delighted he's coming good and happy to be proven wrong. That turn in midfield near the end of the game on Sunday, seriously classy stuff.

Still think he's built/looks like a child though.

The Babtface Assassin!!!

The Black Prince
13 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Nowhere near fat enough for that...

He could easily be a Mormon missionary in his spare time.

The Black Prince
5 hours ago, JAYEL said:

So nice to hear a young player answer questions genuinely - saying what they really think.

It must be about 25 that cynical cliches and politics come into play.

2 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Nowhere near fat enough for that...

He could easily be a Mormon missionary in his spare time.

Ooh, yes.  Nailed it!!!!

I think Natty is a scaffolder, works on the same site as Kent, who is a joiner and bullies the shit out of him.

Halks runs a greasy spoon with his Mrs. It's decent though - they use a local butcher.

Boycie has brought Dexter into the boyband, after Vargas had to go into rehab.  Vargas will later make a big comeback as a solo artist, with a huge international hit, "Wingman".

Craig Gordon is a goalie.

The Black Prince
On 17/09/2023 at 18:49, The Black Prince said:

I had zero doubts about him. Seen him him play for a good three seasons or so and there's a pretty classy player in there.

Once he's adjusted and has his full confidence back he'll be a very good player in the SPL.

This was my first post on the Hoff.

Telt yez.

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, DC_92 said:

He was never "hopeless" or "terrible". He just needed to start imposing himself on game more and he's done that recently.

This.

He was just meh.

If he was a paint colour he'd have been almond white .

He was never terrible, partly due to the fact he was missing or barely involved or was very, very safe in his play.

Last few games he's been more involved,  driving forward,  we feints to create space and even scoring good goals. 

Cracking stuff, hopefully that's him off and running.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

This was my first post on the Hoff.

Telt yez.

Bah, you cheated!

Coming in with actual knowledge and not just shouting him down!

Boo, hisss!

Dallas Green
5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Beni doesnt work at Mcdonalds, but he's in an advert where he does

I've just visualised this and it is one of the best descriptions I've seen!

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Beni doesnt work at Mcdonalds, but he's in an advert where he does

"I'm lovin that" image 

Under rated Post.

He has the wee pinny and cap on, big smile, heads tilted to the side.

15 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

"I'm lovin that" image 

Under rated Post.

He has the wee pinny and cap on, big smile, heads tilted to the side.

Yup its the smile!!

22 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Much more often on the side of the player being crap. It's a lot easier position to 'vindicate' (told ye so) as it's almost certain that all players will have a few disappointing games. Therefore, it seems to be a position adopted by those of the feebler mind. 

Those that want to talk up a new signing are alright in my book. At least they're optimistic that Hearts' signings will go some way to realising the success we all want to see. You get the feeling with the others, that it doesn't matter what Hearts' results are; they just want to be able to say, "I telt yeez!"

Bang on the cash 

Vlad Magic

Did someone mention a song for the Hoff??

Billy Ray Cyrus Achy Breaky Heart

Dont take our Hoff, our Ozzy Ozzy Hoff

We just don’t think he’d understand.

And if you take our Hoff, our Ozzy Ozzy Hoff we might go mad and steal him back. Ooooooo Oooooo!!

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

And if you take our Hoff, our Ozzy Ozzy Hoff we might go mad and steal him back. Ooooooo Oooooo!!

:berra:

The Tackle
29 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

😐

The Mercer Takeover
3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This.

He was just meh.

If he was a paint colour he'd have been almond white .

He was never terrible, partly due to the fact he was missing or barely involved or was very, very safe in his play.

Last few games he's been more involved,  driving forward,  we feints to create space and even scoring good goals. 

Cracking stuff, hopefully that's him off and running.

Sums him up perfectly.

The clappers like to assume every youngster or new signing that we play, is the best thing since sliced bread, and can do no wrong. Some are even suggesting the Hoff has now developed Usain Bolt levels of pace. Unfortunately, they also tend to forget that we are playing games to win them, not troll the support with players who are not ready.

After an anonymous start wearing the stealth strip, the Hoff is showing very promising signs and deserves his praise and his starting place.

He is incredibly slow over 10 yards though.

To be fair, in my book, he has climbed above Grant in the criticism league table.

Whilst we may not all see things in the same light, the club is in a good place just now, which should add perspective.

Pete Elliott
1 minute ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Nonsense imo

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Sums him up perfectly.

The clappers like to assume every youngster or new signing that we play, is the best thing since sliced bread, and can do no wrong. Some are even suggesting the Hoff has now developed Usain Bolt levels of pace. Unfortunately, they also tend to forget that we are playing games to win them, not troll the support with players who are not ready.

After an anonymous start wearing the stealth strip, the Hoff is showing very promising signs and deserves his praise and his starting place.

To be fair, in my book, he has climbed above Grant in the criticism league table.

Whilst we may not all see things in the same light, the club is in a good place just now, which should add perspective.

We probably don't see things in the same light as you have a " criticism table" for Hearts players. 

Bob Loblaw

Actually blows my mind people can watch Nieuwenhof and argue he's slow. 

Get your eyes tested would be my suggestion.