• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Clark Griswold

• Don Dan

south morocco
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I really like haring and think he’s worth his place in the team every week (almost) he gets stuck in and he has a reasonable amount of football but haring even if he’s worth his place in the team should be the least gifted footballer in the midfield - if he isn’t then we need to sign player after player after player until we have gifted footballers in midfield who are relatively consistent - eg barrie McKay with a bit more consistency especially in the bigger games

and we need 2-3 of these players 

He was our best midfielder today, constantly winning headers and breaking up play, winning the ball. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
Just now, GinRummy said:

Midfield was a problem all last season and is still a problem. If Nieuwenhof, Lowry or Denholm can’t partner Haring then we need to offload someone and get another midfielder in or it’s going to be another long season. 

agreed - I’ve still got a bit of hope for grant - it’s not easy to offload but we need to find a way of signing players for this position and if they’re not going to make it move them on as soon as possible and try another one

easier said than done obviously but plodding on with haring being our most creative midfielder who doesn’t disappear for half the game as you say it’s going to be a long season

alternatively we (temporarily) go old school sign a target man and use that as an option to shell it over the midfield and feed off second balls - I’m never totally against that anyway :lol:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 minutes ago, south morocco said:

He was our best midfielder today, constantly winning headers and breaking up play, winning the ball. 

yup he’s doing his job well just needs the right help

south morocco
7 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Edited by south morocco

been here before
5 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Having a stroke trying to read that thread title

Its funny granted, but not that good.

15 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

He absolutely wasn’t static. He didn’t stop running but he had little to no service. His understanding with players around him will only get better. 

Not how I saw it, but admit that nobody seemed capable of finding any space or feet with their passes. The number of times I saw Kingsley in the first half look up and no-one including Tagawa was running into the corner down this left side. It was only when Boyce and Vargas came on that we had anybody showing themselves short, or spreading their defence by running wide. Yes he will definitely need time to gel and I've no doubt he will be a decent foil for Shanks but today, I felt we really missed Ginos running in behind. 

grumpyespana
41 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They were very sluggish today , like they were swimming through treacle really . 

Have to agree we were really slow in getting the ball up front whats the answer for thursday night , I like Cammy but I would play young Denholm also would like Boycie to get a start and Cochrane will be back and hopefully Barry back on the bench.

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Boyce like a man possessed.

Always feel when he comes on he mainly gives 100% and gets the others motivated. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, grumpyespana said:

Cammy but I would play young Denholm also would like Boycie to get a start and Cochrane will be back and hopefully Barry back on the bench.

Yes Cammy is no bad. Had the ball a lot and is a wee terrier around opposition but sadly did nowt with it .  Be good to have Cochrane and Barry back too. 

4 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Not how I saw it, but admit that nobody seemed capable of finding any space or feet with their passes. The number of times I saw Kingsley in the first half look up and no-one including Tagawa was running into the corner down this left side. It was only when Boyce and Vargas came on that we had anybody showing themselves short, or spreading their defence by running wide. Yes he will definitely need time to gel and I've no doubt he will be a decent foil for Shanks but today, I felt we really missed Ginos running in behind. 

Unquestionably! 

I think McKay coming back too will be a big plus. Him and Boyce often worked so well together.

Sorry but I'm not having the early start of season, need time for new players to gel etc

We were rubbish today.  We knew how Kilmarnock/McInnes would set up and we had no way to play against it.

Outside of the old firm, we should be beating all other teams at home.  Results like these will come back to us at the split/end of the season.

We are the third best supported and budgeted team in Scotland.  We need to do better and I'm tired of the excuses....you don't hear that from the old firm...if we want to cement ourselves into third best team then we the expectations and performances need to match that.

Rubbish today.

Lord Montpelier

Forwards need to start mixing up their runs. Movement (at times lack of) is to predictable. Not sure we have the players behind them to pick them out though, Lowry maybe

Would like to see cochrane given a run in the middle of the park instead of Devlin when back

Right Said Fred's music was absolute p1sh and they're a couple of massive roasters.

Come to think of it, the Bernard Cribbins song was crap as well.

2 hours ago, pointon said:

Our dugout not a clue 

Okay Mr Pointless, please tell me what your on. I could do with a wee pick me up !!

37 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:cornette: 

How many beers do I need to drink until that thread title makes any sense?

You really couldn't drink enough, it's cosmic really.:laugh:

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Kilmarnock are a good side. They will finish top 6. I think we will get better. The team were not ready for the start of the season… the late arrival of new players has contributed to this. What is our best 11? Killie obviously more match fit .  We will get better as the season progresses.

Yes. McInnes is doing the job he was brought in to do. He doesn't have illustrious players but gets them fit and organised, almost like a 'team'. An attitude we should adopt more often, esp against big guns and in Europe. I really hoped we would start games with more energy and desire instead of the auld languid fitba from Neilson for two thirds of the game, at least, but Tweedle Dee and Dum appear to be continuing this bizarre approach.

Lowry looked class against Saints last weekend when he was given time on the ball but against Rosenborg and Killie he’s been bullied and seemed unable to create much. To be fair, to a man today we were pish. Slack passing when it mattered, overhit long balls, first touches that end up out the park…

Killie set up to be hard to break down today and we couldn’t even lay a glove on them.

Exile fae Main Street

Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately?) only listening to radio, but lots of pretty aimless crosses which were meat and drink to Killie. There has to be more imagination. Haring Denholm Hof (if fit?) and McKay on Thursday maybe with Boyce and Vargas up top, will no doubt get pelters for this selection....also Sibbick in for Atkinson maybe....Shankland needs sorting out, if he wants away get rid.

upgotheheads

This is a team in transition imo. The players who were mainstays last year 

are going to have to make way for new blood, I'm thinking of the likes of Cammy, Forrest, and Halliday mostly.. the last two are squad players, who won't take us forward, Cammy hasn't improved since early last season and needs to either sharpen up or give way to Denholm. Sibbick seems to be a square peg most of the time and maybe should be played further forward to add some physicality in midfield in the later parts of games, maybe after Haring has done his bit. Tagawa is an unknown but Vargas should should  start on Thursday. 

Just now, Bob Loblaw said:

Sorry if already mentioned but where was Grant today? Assume a knock as he was decent off the bench on Thursday 

Beni and him have minor hamstring issues and will be assessed before Thursday. From Naismith. 

Absolute rubbish today. For most of that match we were totally devoid of ideas going forward. We had 2/3 of the possession and did little with it.

John Findlay

To those saying no improvement from last season, I say au contraire. Last season we would have lost that game as we did the league cup against them last season. We have improved in defence, especially defending corners and free kick just outside and around the box. Frankie Kent is very commanding in the air, also good in the air are Haring and Kingsley. All three won their fair share in their own box today.

It didn't come off in the final third today, but that is where we have recruited the most. Once the understanding comes( there were signs today contrary to what the doomsayers are saying) we are giving a team a real doing.

4 from 6 is not shabby. Many would have settled for a point in Perth and Three at home today. Hearts just did it the other way around. 

Now could all the Hibs interlopers **** off to whence you came, and start demanding Lee Johnson. Gets the tin tack.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

To those saying no improvement from last season, I say au contraire. Last season we would have lost that game as we did the league cup against them last season. We have improved in defence, especially defending corners and free kick just outside and around the box. Frankie Kent is very commanding in the air, also good in the air are Haring and Kingsley. All three won their fair share in their own box today.

It didn't come off in the final third today, but that is where we have recruited the most. Once the understanding comes( there were signs today contrary to what the doomsayers are saying) we are giving a team a real doing.

4 from 6 is not shabby. Many would have settled for a point in Perth and Three at home today. Hearts just did it the other way around. 

Now could all the Hibs interlopers **** off to whence you came, and start demanding Lee Johnson. Gets the tin tack.

👏

I thought today both teams looked solid at the back, gave very little away and a draw was the deserved outcome.

Bloody boring though 😂

Bit of a dissapointing result tbh, haven't watched it yet, might just watch the highlights now as it doesn't look like I missed much, anyone know why we only had 1 shot on target today ? Were Kilmarnock difficult to break down or were we just not creating enough? 

12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

:spoton:

Just now, gregzy2k7 said:

Were Kilmarnock difficult to break down or were we just not creating enough? 

Very difficult from what I saw, ask Rangers. In a way they showed respect by employing the same hard to break down low block so many play against the OF. 

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I think we need to start looking at the coaches we have. It's felt for seasons the talent gets coached out of players. So slow and ponderous. We should be lightyears ahead of the majority of the league.

Tbf we did that towards end of last season when Robbie was punted (rightly so imo) however the question is, did we make the right choice appointing the current coaching staff, I think you geniunely have to look at it, maybe after the first round or two of fixtures, if there has been little to no improvement in results.

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Beni and him have minor hamstring issues and will be assessed before Thursday. From Naismith. 

Cheers, missed that.

TweedbankJambo
16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Well said 👍

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Sorry John but if we want to be competing at the top end of the league at split/end of season, we should be beating all teams, outside of old firm, at home.

I'm sorry if that sounds too ambitious but my expectations are higher given how much we've ploughed into new signings and management changes at the start of this season.

We need to stop accepting mediocrity, especially at home.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Bit of a dissapointing result tbh, haven't watched it yet, might just watch the highlights now as it doesn't look like I missed much, anyone know why we only had 1 shot on target today ? Were Kilmarnock difficult to break down or were we just not creating enough? 

When you watch it can you tell us what the shot on target was as i can’t think of any?

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Gards said:

Sorry John but if we want to be competing at the top end of the league at split/end of season, we should be beating all teams, outside of old firm, at home.

I'm sorry if that sounds too ambitious but my expectations are higher given how much we've ploughed into new signings and management changes at the start of this season.

Spot on

4 minutes ago, Gards said:

We absolutely should be beating rest of the league at home. If not, then at least look like we are able to. It's not like we were unlucky today with missed chances.

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I think we need to start looking at the coaches we have. It's felt for seasons the talent gets coached out of players. So slow and ponderous. We should be lightyears ahead of the majority of the league.

I think you might be right, I see very minimal difference between ourselves and the other clubs allegedly below us. I don't see much in the way of a clear footballing strategy from the coaches, and there hasn't really been any individual improvement among the players - Devlin is still utterly hopeless in possession. 

Its a bit disheartening. Where is the money going?