• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

38 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I agree with this. He appeared to be slow and uninterested against Kilmarnock, or it might just have been that he was continually being fouled and held by their defenders.

I think he just had a bad game. By all accounts he said as much himself. He wasn't getting much service and looked frustrated as a result. 

More importantly, and since then, he has been busting a gut off the ball.

This isn't aimed at you directly, and it's a generic point that I think sometimes it's all too easy to make assumptions as to why players look or play a certain way.

He does appear to be a bit sharper since then. I'll concede that point, but again, we don't know the reasoning as to why, so any comments made are speculative at best. 

11 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

What on earth are you slavering on about ? All I said is we need to get him signed up and pay him the going rate. 

Don't try the smart arse "slavering" stuff.

You didn't say "get him signed up".

You inferred that the club might be dragging their feet re paying him the going rate and for all we know we could have offered him whatever your going rate is.  He and his agent could be exercising their right to assess the position and if that is the case what can the club do?

Very few of us would not like to get him signed up!

10 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

He’s our on field captain, our talisman and our overall best player. If he isn’t our top earner then that’s utterly ridiculous and something that has to be rectified immediately. If we can’t break budget for someone like Shankland then I don’t know who you can for. 

Offer him a deal with an agreed release clause - something everyone can live with. If a club comes in and triggers it so be it. At least we get Shankland for a while

longer and we get fairly compensated. 

I highly doubt we replace Shankland anytime soon. Players like him are rare. 

100% spot on. Not the time to penny pinch. 

Break the wage cap and leave absolutely zero doubt that we have done everything to get him to sign an extension. 

Been banging on all summer that we really needed to get a deal sorted before a ball was kicked into the new season. Unfortunately that time has passed, but until its in black and white we should be finding out what he wants. 

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Don’t know if it just me but he looked a lot trimmer and more mobile yesterday than a week or so ago.

do you have some 'before' and 'after' pictures? you know....actual evidence as opposed to supposition?

be great if you did.

question has been asked for weeks now and no one seems able to provide pics....interesting that....

2 hours ago, jtkb said:

Yeh he has Been on the slim fast since St Johnstone game dropped a trouser size slimmer of the month as well at his Wed night group is what I heard 🤣🤣🤣

🤣 🤣 🤣

Also hearing our staff canteen struck a deal with Slimcea bread a month ago.

Finally seeing the benefits of this with LS's ever decreasing gut size.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It's time to put this weight chat to bed now surely. Shanks is firing on all cylinders and that's all that matters!

Saw the Gorgie Fish Bar had a photo of shanks behind the counter with a warning to staff of DO NOT SERVE THIS MAN

Must have worked, as he is slimmer than a slim dude and has a fabulous attitude !

:scenes:

19 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It's time to put this weight chat to bed now surely. Shanks is firing on all cylinders and that's all that matters!

completely agree. The lad was never fat - clearly just not match fit.

although anyone looking for photo evidence to challenge this - I now have genuine before & after pics:

Before:

image.png.ceff9fbacbeaf910a6151e3a577ec9e7.png

after:

image.png.0d609bc1e13eab1dbf939efafa2b8ff5.png

amazing what results the Cambridge diet can have in only 5 football matches.

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

although anyone looking for photo evidence to challenge this - I now have genuine before & after pics:

Before:

after:

Amazing turnaround. I'm worried now though he might be heading for easter road, the send photo has that Leith junky look about it 😄

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Don’t know if it just me but he looked a lot trimmer and more mobile yesterday than a week or so ago.

Reduced fat pies must be working. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Reduced fat pies must be working. 

11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Amazing turnaround. I'm worried now though he might be heading for easter road, the send photo has that Leith junky look about it 😄

😁

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Before:

after:

Not convinced they are genuine. 

Don't think shanks has tattoo's like that.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Don't try the smart arse "slavering" stuff.

You didn't say "get him signed up".

You inferred that the club might be dragging their feet re paying him the going rate and for all we know we could have offered him whatever your going rate is.  He and his agent could be exercising their right to assess the position and if that is the case what can the club do?

Very few of us would not like to get him signed up!

you read that into my post. Wow. You must be busy writing the same to others on this thread then.

easy solution- use the ignore function as I’m doing now. Have a good day 👍

Edited by 1971fozzy

upgotheheads
9 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I've no f******* idea why my Phone produces these huge effing pages  delete if annoying mods

This only happens when I use my Samsung A14 phone, theres no problem from my Amazon Tablet,as now. It won't even let me quote other comments, the *******.

8 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Sorry I don't know how to copy the quote and post into the original thread - 'Lee Johnson Official Waffle'.........

On 14/08/2023 at 12:44, Portable Badger said:

If I'm honest it had never really registered with me either.  It was a discussion I had with my Brother-in-law, who's also from Edinburgh, who lives over in the west.  He gets ribbed by the Weegies for using it.  As soon as he pointed it out and you listen to people you soon realise 'Shit, it really is a thing'.

If you read some people's texts on here you will regularly see 'We's went', 'I had went...'

@db211833 - now do you believe me that 'it is a thing' despite your slightly sarcastic response ?????

@Locky & @Ricardo Quaresma - FYI

No, I don't. You suggested that people from Edinburgh  say "We's went". In my 50 years here I don't think I have ever heard that. Trying to use " we have went" as "proof" is a bit far fetched, that's just poor grammar used by someone trying to say "we have gone". If what you originally meant was people sometime incorrectly use went instead of gone, then I agree.

Anyway, we are well off topic and I'm sure neither of us care that much.

If he’s replacing Che Adam’s who’s going for £15m, we should be looking at loads!!  
He’s worth £3 or £4m to us to stay so should be looking somewhere between. Not a derisory bid cos he’s in Scottish League and not Auld Firm. 

5 minutes ago, Sid said:

If he’s replacing Che Adam’s who’s going for £15m, we should be looking at loads!!  
He’s worth £3 or £4m to us to stay so should be looking somewhere between. Not a derisory bid cos he’s in Scottish League and not Auld Firm. 

I’d agree with half of your comment, the bold bit, but not the rest, sorry…he is our captain, main striker, scored what 32 in 52 matches and in the international fold - for me, come at us with bids starting at min £5m as all of those stats above will be VERY hard for us to replace, especially so late in the window.

edit: I may has misread your comment if your meaning between £3m/£4m and £15m (I thought you meant between £3m and £4m)

Edited by Oda be a JT

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Sid said:

We just tell Southampton start at £6.5M and we will start talking.

11 hours ago, Sooks said:

It was a massive disappointment when I got to the end . Was expecting a smiley or an acerbic one liner

:D Me too.

pettigrewsstylist
13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

We should be, defo.

15 minutes ago, Sid said:

Just to make the point, Southampton are a team probably looking to bounce right back up. Shankland is a brilliant goalscorer in Scotland. Problem is, plenty of strikers have done well up here and been a complete car crash down south. I don't believe Southampton would be willing to pin their promotion hopes on Shankland. Maybe as a squad player, but I think it would be too much of a risk. One poster on their forum seemed to be suggesting Joël Piroe, (Swansea), with their parachute payment money isn't a problem so I'm not sure Shankland would be high up their list. Especially because we'd likely want north of £5m which could get them a proven goalscorer in their own league (and probably a younger one that they can develop). 

21 minutes ago, Sid said:

Agreed, is he worse than Adams? Probably a bit less explosive but has a better football brain. Although I would probably concede he is a downgrade physically at the level. Should still be 5m max. And I don't think Shanks is a 5m player, but he's worth a it to us.

25 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Literally just saying that to my brother. Southampton have been playing the game with Everton and in this instance Hearts should be playing the game in exactly the same manner if this is a serious scenario. You are getting 15 million for Adams we require half of that for Shankland given his contribution and influence to our side. Now we might not get that but he’s worth way more than 3-4 million to us and indeed given what they’ve just got in from Chelsea and Everton for players they know how to play the game. I don’t want to lose Shankland but Southampton are cash rich right now and we need to take advantage of that should this have legs. 

4 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

you read that into my post. Wow. You must be busy writing the same to others on this thread then.

easy solution- use the ignore function as I’m doing now. Have a good day 👍

Not a chance mate whether you use it or not.👍

Captain Canada

If we sell him, we'll be scrambling around for a replacement.

Every club would be difficult to deal with financially because they'd know we had a lot to spend, and it would be late in the window for them to get someone else in. 

It would need to be an astronomical offer to make it worthwhile. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

If we sell him, we'll be scrambling around for a replacement.

Every club would be difficult to deal with financially because they'd know we had a lot to spend, and it would be late in the window for them to get someone else in. 

It would need to be an astronomical offer to make it worthwhile. 

Agree - If we sell him our season could very well go down the tubes from looking like a very solid season. We have a great looking squad and a striker that can score for fun. We're under no pressure to sell and I think it would feel like a bit of a slap in the face to the fans. With neither Rangers or Celtic looking all that good at the moment, we could very well push them hard in the league and go for a cup!  Lose Shankland and we have to then try and replace 20+ goals. 

I wonder if he would be open to signing a 1 year extension on a bumper wage? Sort of a middle ground between being sold and not feeling like he's losing out on money being here. Bump his wage up with an assurance he can go next summer with our best wishes?

NaturalOrder74

he’s clearly enjoying his football here based on interviews and performance so I can’t see him pushing a transfer request and I don’t think we’re in any rush financially to sell our captain and best goal scorer in decades. 

nothing to worry about imo 

Just now, NaturalOrder74 said:

he’s clearly enjoying his football here based on interviews and performance so I can’t see him pushing a transfer request and I don’t think we’re in any rush financially to sell our captain and best goal scorer in decades. 

nothing to worry about imo 

Think you're right, but important the club doesn't take that for granted and keeps speaking to him about a new deal. 

After this season he will only have 1 year left and then be into Souttar/Walker territory and I would like to see the club do everything in its power to head that possibility off now. I.e offer him a bumper contract before its too late in the day. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The Belgian experience must be in the back of his mind.

We may just be his perfect fit

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Problem is say he went to Southampton for 5 million, he'd quadruple his Hearts wages. That's a hell of a lot of dough over a 3 year contract or whatever to turn down.

Walter Bishop

If he does end up going and we get £4 million (ish) how much we getting to replace him and who are we going for? 

LarrysRightFoot

If he’s on 15-20 goals in January, there will plenty low ball bids coming in I’d guess. 

If Rangers are struggling it’ll a £1m bid and the press will make out we are lucky to be offered such money. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think £20k per week will be on his mind 😂

NaturalOrder74
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Think you're right, but important the club doesn't take that for granted and keeps speaking to him about a new deal. 

After this season he will only have 1 year left and then be into Souttar/Walker territory and I would like to see the club do everything in its power to head that possibility off now. I.e offer him a bumper contract before its too late in the day. 

you are spot on, but I’m fairly confident the club will be working on a new deal I think shankland is way too much of a professional for another Walker scenario, however an end of contract old firm move I wouldn’t completely write off. I’d argue even in that scenario we’d still get our moneys worth than say a £4/5 million cash in 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Problem is say he went to Southampton for 5 million, he'd quadruple his Hearts wages. That's a hell of a lot of dough over a 3 year contract or whatever to turn down.

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

I think £20k per week will be on his mind 😂

Of course, but so will be playing for his country. Failure elsewhere ends that. 

Far more likely to disappear next summer when things get stacked more in his favour. 

He is of course under contract 

£10Million or GTF. 

Test them. 

We have no need to sell. 

Why would we unless its a ridiculous offer? 

Lay a marker down. Hibs and Aberdeen do. 

If we were to sell Lawrence Shankland to a club in England for less than £7m then I’d be absolutely disgusted with our hierarchy. English clubs pay stupid money for guys you’ve never even heard of. Bournemouth paid £1m or thereabouts for Hill from Fleetwood FFS!!! 

Strikers are worth their weight in gold. Good, goal scoring strikers even more. 

Edited by Paris 84

loveofthegame
7 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

And this will forever be our issue.

Do I believe shankland loves it at the club? Yes.

Do I believe he loves it enough to not have his head turned at doubling/tripling his wages? No chance. 

He’s a young family and possibly only one more big contract in him. 

Just now, Paris 84 said:

If we were to sell Lawrence Shankland to a club in England for less than £7m then I’d be absolutely disgusted with our hierarchy. English clubs pay stupid money for guys you’ve never even heard of. Bournemouth paid £1m or thereabouts for Hill from Fleetwood FFS!!! 

Strikers are worth their weight in gold. Good, goal scoring strikers even more. 

6 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Do I believe he loves it enough to not have his head turned at doubling/tripling his wages? No chance. 

Yep it's a big issue. He could make either 3+ million over the next 3 years or 600-700k. Not many people in any walk of life are taking the latter option. 

Maybe a question Hearts have to ask is should we be pushing the boat out for a player who is guaranteeing us goals and offering him a 3yr contract doubling his Hearts wages. 

Edited by Luckies1874

13 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

you are spot on, but I’m fairly confident the club will be working on a new deal I think shankland is way too much of a professional for another Walker scenario, however an end of contract old firm move I wouldn’t completely write off. I’d argue even in that scenario we’d still get our moneys worth than say a £4/5 million cash in 

I really hope so. The worst thing to hear would be that the club has tried to be cute or clever with what we're offering him. Fact is a striker that scores at the rates he does is going to have suitors. We need to see what we can do to put the best possible deal in front of him. Whether that is a bumper deal to add on 12 months, or a long term deal on a much better salary. Either way, the club needs to working with him to see what our best possible offer looks like and get that offer over to him ASAP. 

Edited by OTT

Rocky jamboa
5 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

That's fair enough if he wants to go but Southampton have got to pay the going rate. If they offer us £5m and Shanks wants to go, then fair enough. It's a decent deal for us and a good deal for him. However, if they low ball us, compared to the money that's going around down there for utter dross, then he doesn't go, it's as simple as that. I'm sure he'll understand that as well. That's football. 

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, Rocky jamboa said:

That's fair enough if he wants to go but Southampton have got to pay the going rate. If they offer us £5m and Shanks wants to go, then fair enough. It's a decent deal for us and a good deal for him. However, if they low ball us, compared to the money that's going around down there for utter dross, then he doesn't go, it's as simple as that. I'm sure he'll understand that as well. That's football. 

Southampton have taken a fortune in fees this window. Surely we could push them towards at least £7 million? We all know it will end up being £2 though! 

Lavia £58 Million

Ward-Prowse £40 million 

Livramento £35 million 

Salisu £15 million 

Adams £15 million ?? 

3 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Hearts won’t let them low Ball us deffo not !!

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

100%. Id leave at the drop of a hat and I’ve been hearts my whole life. 

It’s always about family and he could secure his for life