• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

52 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Says who? The club have clear ambitions to have a successful player trading model. Shankland is one of the most sellable assets. 2+2 = 4 sometimes.

Anyone with sense. £3m isn't going to change our clubs fortunes. If the figure goes north of £5m then the decision becomes a lot more tricky. 

The other issue is, player trading to what end? We all want to see success (trophies) and progressing domestically. We can't do that if we cave to the first half decent bid that comes in. In this instance, so late in the window, the deal needs to be on our terms or not at all. I don't think it says a lot about our own ambitions if we're going to derail our entire season for the sake of £3m.

If it was a RB or another position that is more easily replaceable, I could get behind it, but its not. 

Rangers signed Danilo for just under £7m and he’s ****ing humpty. Hopefully the club are a bit more ambitious than a lot of folk on here.

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Anyone with sense. £3m isn't going to change our clubs fortunes. If the figure goes north of £5m then the decision becomes a lot more tricky. 

The other issue is, player trading to what end? We all want to see success (trophies) and progressing domestically. We can't do that if we cave to the first half decent bid that comes in. In this instance, so late in the window, the deal needs to be on our terms or not at all. I don't think it says a lot about our own ambitions if we're going to derail our entire season for the sake of £3m.

If it was a RB or another position that is more easily replaceable, I could get behind it, but its not. 

If we don't sell Shankland this summer and he doesn't sign a new deal, we will likely get a couple million or nothing for him. I'm quite comfortable with the idea of just keeping him for 2 years if he's happy. I suspect he will want a big contract to though.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Rangers signed Danilo for just under £7m and he’s ****ing humpty. Hopefully the club are a bit more ambitious than a lot of folk on here.

frightening eh ? He looks rank 

who knows, he may come good but that’s a horrendous amount of money by the looks of it

10 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Of course it's not. We don't own the player. We own the contractual right, that allow them to play football. Contract length is very important. Look at Harry Kane!

Exactly we own the contractual rights for 2 further years. If Shankland has another good season more clubs are likely to want him. We don’t need to sell him this year and could easily get a decent fee next year if we hold onto him. 

In todays mad world if he went to the championship and was likely to score 15 goals (not unrealistic) it’s £8 million minimum or what are we even doing.

of he had scored this many goals for Celtic or rangers and it’s even more chances created. They would get 15 million for him.

one of the few things Romanov got right was getting the right value for quality. 

kingantti1874

Excluding Adams, Southampton have 3 forwards.  They have paid any less than £13m for any of them.  They are about to sell Adams for £15m

they are looking to shanks to replace Adams? Is he worth £7.5 m or some other fee of that magnitude? Probably not! Is he worth that to us and worth that to Southampton who have netted £150M+ this summer.  

I say if they want him bleed them 

pettigrewsstylist
46 minutes ago, OTT said:

Totally this.

What Nesbit, Van Veen etc went for is irrelevant. We have no need to sell. We don't need the money and he's not nearing the end of his contract. If we want a high figure, it's up to any suitors to pay it.

6 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Just cannot see it. Why is Shankland suddenly worth the same as Simms?

We’ll here’s an arguement maybe worth having (because Nisbet vs Shankland isn’t worth having IMO)

If you have the hypothetical choice of Simms or Shankland who are you taking ? For me it’s an argument you could have all night because it’s a close decision. I’m taking Shankland because of his goals ratio in our league last season compared with Simms for us the season before but it’s close as to who I would pick. strangely enough Shanklands last 2 goals for us have been typical Simms like goals (Simms missed a few one on ones with the keeper like it but that’s by the by) They have SOME similarities. Quick feet. Good awareness. Clinical emphatic finishes.

If you agree it’s a choice you’d have to mull over and weigh up (you might not think that of course) then surely they are both in roughly the same ballpark in terms of market value. The difference being that Shankland, just as desirable a player as Simms IMO, automatically gets undervalued purely because of the league he currently plays in.

When we lost Simms I didn’t think we’d be able to replace him. Only we did……. And more IMO

Edited by JimmyCant

Scott Leitch
6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

And still the Hibs vermin posters continue. Now moved onto Kevin is better than Shankland, as if trying to convince themselves that a player who couldn't get out of the shitehole that is Easter fast enough is some sort of indicator that Hibs are superior to Hearts.

That's where they fail because anyone who knows anything about Scottish football is 100% confident in stating 'Heart of Midlothian own their little city rivals'.

**** off you Hibs ***** and go back under whatever stone you crawled from below.

Are you on blood pressure tablets? 

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ll here’s an arguement maybe worth having (because Nisbet vs Shankland isn’t worth having IMO)

If you have the hypothetical choice of Simms or Shankland who are you taking ? For me it’s an argument you could have all night because it’s a close decision. I’m taking Shankland because of his goals ratio in our league last season compared with Simms for us the season before but it’s close as to who I would pick. strangely enough Shanklands last 2 goals for us have been typical Simms like goals (Simms missed a few one on ones with the keeper like it but that’s by the by) They have SOME similarities. Quick feet. Good awareness. Clinical emphatic finishes.

If you agree it’s a choice you’d have to mull over and weigh up (you might not think that of course) then surely they are both in roughly the same ballpark in terms of market value. The difference being that Shankland, just as desirable a player as Simms IMO, automatically gets undervalued purely because of the league he currently plays in.

When we lost Simms I didn’t think we’d be able to replace him. Only we did……. And more IMO

I for once agree with you JC my choice would be Shanks and my Coventry supporting pals reckon Simms work rate is poor which was the same up here can’t recall him chasing down or helping defence like Shankland does a lot of backtracking 

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

What Nesbit, Van Veen etc went for is irrelevant. We have no need to sell. We don't need the money and he's not nearing the end of his contract. If we want a high figure, it's up to any suitors to pay it.

Someone with sense

Shankland or Nisbet ? 😂

You’d have to question why someone would spend so much of their time trying to downplay Shankland and his worth. It’s a fictional discussion since we’ve had no confirmed bids or interest and yet sone people are so invested in the conversation. 

9 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Shankland in his prime is the sellable asset right now....

Sellable asset does not mean bend over & take any mediocre fee that comes in for him especially a week before the window closes. Shankland is worth;

The profit of a European group stage campaign

+ The profit of a deep cup run

+ The price of 3rd place prize money

That’s the minimum just to get us talking, cause we ain’t going to be able to replace his goals for cheap at this point in the window. He’s easy getting 25+ again this season if he’s here til Summer.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Agreed, but Simms is younger and can improve substantially.

It's also not our players are undervalued,  the English  market is so hyper inflated it's just silly now.

9 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Nesbit is absolutely Colin Nish 

Probably rather have Nishy!

Nisbet is nothing like the footballer Shankland is.  He's OK, don't get me wrong, he can finish, but there's very very little else to his game.  Shanks is an all round striker you can build a game around and also a better "all types of goal" finisher than Nisbet.

There's no comparison.

The only difference is Shanks took longer to truly find himself whereas Nisbet kind of hit his peak earlier.  But even that shows something about Shanks imo - to move away from the game, work on himself and come back and end up where he is shows a helluva lot of character.

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Nesbit had already moved to England and has double the amount of caps. It's hardly some wild comparison to be making. Get the tin foil hat back in the drawer.

Getting capped in its self is no measure of how good a player is. That’s been so obvious with Scottish Caps for decades. 

Glamorgan Jambo

By the way Southampton are about to give Swansea 10 million for a guy who was on loan at Hibs a year or so ago. That’s who their Che Adams replacement is.

1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

By the way Southampton are about to give Swansea 10 million for a guy who was on loan at Hibs a year or so ago. That’s who their Che Adams replacement is.

That lad is a center back so not a replacement for Che Adams.

Had a quick look and they seem to be getting linked with every player in Europe on Twitter so I'm also taking their 'interest' in Shanks with a pinch of salt.

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

He was utter garbage at Hibs too, apparently had one of the worst debuts they've ever seen. 

Glamorgan Jambo
3 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

That lad is a center back so not a replacement for Che Adams.

Had a quick look and they seem to be getting linked with every player in Europe on Twitter so I'm also taking their 'interest' in Shanks with a pinch of salt.

Oops my bad

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Getting capped in its self is no measure of how good a player is. That’s been so obvious with Scottish Caps for decades. 

This Scotland squad is a wee bit different surely that's obvious?

3 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Sellable asset does not mean bend over & take any mediocre fee that comes in for him especially a week before the window closes. Shankland is worth;

The profit of a European group stage campaign

+ The profit of a deep cup run

+ The price of 3rd place prize money

That’s the minimum just to get us talking, cause we ain’t going to be able to replace his goals for cheap at this point in the window. He’s easy getting 25+ again this season if he’s here til Summer.

£4m wouldn't be some kind of derisory offer though. It would be out 2nd largest ever transfer sale and more than the combined fees we've received for all sales during the last decade.

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

To dismiss the Shankland v Nesbit debate seems a bit premature? Nesbit isn't a Hibs player so folk can surely be a bit more objective now. I still remember some of the nonsense posted on here about John McGinn. There was a lack of objectivity and more than a hint, of maroon tint, on a lot of posters' specs!

43 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Simms was on the bench for Coventry at Swansea at the weekend. Gino warmed the bench for the jacks.

Although he did score that wonder goal a few weeks ago, I can't see Gino playing much down there or certainly not as much as he would like. Have a feeling we might see him back up here on loan again one day. 

Edited by Chimp

35 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This Scotland squad is a wee bit different surely that's obvious?

£4m wouldn't be some kind of derisory offer though. It would be out 2nd largest ever transfer sale and more than the combined fees we've received for all sales during the last decade.

To dismiss the Shankland v Nesbit debate seems a bit premature? Nesbit isn't a Hibs player so folk can surely be a bit more objective now. I still remember some of the nonsense posted on here about John McGinn. There was a lack of objectivity and more than a hint, of maroon tint, on a lot of posters' specs!

Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson and Paul McGinn have all had caps in recent times, which is hilarious. 

Are they better than Craig Halkett?

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson and Paul McGinn have all had caps in recent times, which is hilarious. 

Halkett likely would have had a few caps if he hadn't been injured for half his Hearts' career. Nesbit and Shankland are in direct competition for the remaining strikers spot. It's a an obvious comparison. Nesbit came on instead of Shankland during the last game. It's not some wild or outrageous comparison.

kingantti1874

Nisbet is absolutely mince, a weak minded tosspot with a dodgy injury record

no comparison to shanks who is a leader . Scotland caps are neither here nor there.  Nisbet may have had a cap but he’s done absolutely nothing with it 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Simms was on the bench for Coventry at Swansea at the weekend. Gino warmed the bench for the jacks.

They must be thinking :hartley:but then again it's all about the money. Shanks be aware!

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

no comparison to shanks who is a leader . Scotland caps are neither here nor there.  Nisbet may have had a cap but he’s done absolutely nothing with it 

Agree. Folk seem to think because Nisbet came on a sub ahead of Shankland for Scotland he's somehow better or comparable 🤷‍♂️

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Halkett likely would have had a few caps if he hadn't been injured for half his Hearts' career. Nesbit and Shankland are in direct competition for the remaining strikers spot. It's a an obvious comparison. Nesbit came on instead of Shankland during the last game. It's not some wild or outrageous comparison.

Who is this Nesbit guy you keep referring to?!

LarrysRightFoot

Let’s not kid ourselves Nisbet was a good player in our league. 

However, he had a year left on his deal, said he wouldn’t sign a new one and wasn’t that long back from a serious injury.

These are the reasons Hibs only got around £1m for him. At present Shankland’s circumstances are not similar and IF we were to sell we should be quoting £5m+ IMO. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Who is this Nesbit guy you keep referring to?!

Image result for Rab C Nesbitt. Size: 180 x 185. Source: www.bbc.co.uk

45 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Just let that sink in..... How in gods name did these clowns ever get caps.

45 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Im just agreeing with the poster who said a couple of Scotland caps is in no way an indicator of a good or better player. Even with the messiah Steve Clarke.

Oh and Nisbet couldn’t lace Shanklands left boot. 

Edited by DS98

1 minute ago, jtkb said:

Even Marshall . How that imposter has managed to hoodwink so many managers for the last couple of decades is beyond me 

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, jtkb said:

Because Steve Clarke is no Pep...

Bazzas right boot
54 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Remember that big daft centres half for Utd,  forget his name but he was a Sunday league player.

Go for it 1308
15 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Nesbit had already moved to England and has double the amount of caps. It's hardly some wild comparison to be making. Get the tin foil hat back in the drawer.

Would you rather Nesbit played for Hearts or Shankland?

Go for it 1308
Just now, Go for it 1308 said:

Just now, Go for it 1308 said:

*Nisbet 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

100% This.

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Nesbit came on instead of Shankland during the last game. It's not some wild or outrageous comparison.

We've had this debate already yesterday. Are you saying it was right to play Marshall instead of Gordon at the Euros? Clarke is not infallible!

As you say, Nesbit (sic) is not even a Hibs player so we can be a bit more objective. But if you gave everybody on JKB (all the Hearts supporters, for clarity) the hypothetical option of selling Shankland now and spending the money on Nisbet as a replacement, how many would genuinely, honestly be happy with that? If it's virtually like for like, as you say? With the added bonus of Nisbet being younger and an 'established' Scotland cap? I'd think it would be close to nil.

19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Remember that big daft centres half for Utd,  forget his name but he was a Sunday league player.

Gary Kenneth

Lee Wilkie also played 11 times for Scotland at a time when Dominic Matteo managed just 6. Could be here all day with similar examples

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

It would when you consider the type of players that have went for more from our league. The one that springs to mind as proving Shanks worth and then some is Scott McKenna, £6 million.... Shanks is in his prime, a proven goalscorer and let's be honest, goalscorers come at a premium. For comparison, McKenna was twenty three when he left, playing for Aberdeen, and just in case there is any doubt, he is a cart horse, does the heavy lifting, cleans everything out, takes no prisoners, etc, etc...certainly not a ball playing centre half. That's not to say he isn't good at what he does, but he wouldn't be compared or contrasted against a baller. So if that's the kind of figures which can be obtained for a fairly workmanlike defender,  I'd say that helps put some perspective on the expected financials we could receive for Shanks, maybe?