What's it called again?

Morgan

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Then you've got the big visible  corner site at the Drum Brae roundabout which has changed  ownership 4 times in the last 30 years.  Currently Lidl, previously PC World, prior to that Tesco, and prior to that Safeway.    Not sure if there was an owner prior to Safeway.....

Edit - its where the Timex clock used to be !!

Securex?

Evening News used to list the times supporters buses were leaving certain points and iirc this was one.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• JudyJudyJudy

• Lone Striker

• Wee Mikey

Lone Striker
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Securex?

Evening News used to list the times supporters buses were leaving certain points and iirc this was one.

th?id=OIP.O81ErqiWQ03muB_JCkv32QHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Aaahhh, I think you may be right.👍  Maybe they had one of the offices in that area then.

At least I got the "ex" bit right, so a few brain cells  might still  be working  😄

Then you've got the big visible  corner site at the Drum Brae roundabout which has changed  ownership 4 times in the last 30 years.  Currently Lidl, previously PC World, prior to that Tesco, and prior to that Safeway.    Not sure if there was an owner prior to Safeway.....

Edit - its where the Timex clock used to be !!

I worked in the Safeway.  We were the bad boys of retail. So much so when booking a function we had to pretend we were Tesco 🤣

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I still have to stop myself from asking for a Black Man at the ice cream van.

33 minutes ago, Marvin said:

No had one of them in ages.

@JudyJudyJudy type answer, if you were to ask me.   :biggrin:

By the way @Morgan, I hope you don't get a ban for starting a "thread wars" rival to @Maroon Sailor's excellent Edinburgh History thread  😀  😜

I should be ok, LS.  👍

Our missing friend @Maroon Sailor has sadly stopped posting now after taking a wee bit stick for a pretty innocuous comment he made.

Anyway, his thread is still the best on Kickback.

42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I was talking about the Burnt Post to my mate the other day. For me it will always be the Burnt Post?

You’ll remember Anderson’s Bar, almost next door to the Burnt Post?

It wasn’t my cup of tea, but was really popular with some.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I still “dial” a phone number.

I still have to stop myself from asking for a Black Man at the ice cream van.

Oh I’ve no had a black man in ages 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

We were chatting with a friend over coffee this morning and she said she'd heard something on the radio about folk still calling things and places by their 'old' names.

Examples were 'taping' something from the TV and the Huxley at the West End still being called 'The Rutland'.

We still cal the St James Quarter the St James Centre and various pubs by their old name, like The Waiting Room which we still call The Belhaven.

We still call the Hanging Bat the Burnt Post and that pub on Brougham Place The Illicit Still.  

I'm sure there are plenty others.

I used to slag my old man for calling pubs like the Tynecastle Arms “Campbells”, now I do it 🤦🏽🤪?!?!

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I used to slag my old man for calling pubs like the Tynecastle Arms “Campbells”, now I do it 🤦🏽🤪?!?!

:lol: 

It’s a sure sign that one is not as young as one thinks one is!

When Robbos was Robbos I called it the Green Tree!  :vrface:

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

No had one of them in ages.

Edit: the pic is not quite how I remember because our icey used to do two scoops of ice cream.

D59JhVJXkAU3CoP.png

Not a Black Man in my experience. A BM had a single plain wafer on top. Maybe that was a poor man's BM in Pilton and Drylaw in the 50s & 60s! This is what is sometimes referred to as a double nougat.

20 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Not a Black Man in my experience. A BM had a single plain wafer on top. Maybe that was a poor man's BM in Pilton and Drylaw in the 50s & 60s! This is what is sometimes referred to as a double nougat.

Yep, a Black Man was a chocolate covered nougat wafer on the bottom, two scoops of plain ice cream in the middle and a single wafer on top.

Toxteth O'Grady
24 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Totally agree - that’s a double nougat.

A black man must have been a local term because I once asked for one in an ice cream shop in Gourock and they were genuinely mystified. 

davemclaren
8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

How many remember the Caley railway station at the foot of Lothian Road?  Supporters' trains invariably left from there on a Saturday afternoon.

I remember it after it was shut and pretty derelict. 

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh I’ve no had a black man in ages 

I've no had one of them twin cone things wi a cherry on each in ages, #gutted

Pretty sure we used to call the ice cream thing a ‘slider’.

A friend from up north had never heard of a ‘99’.  I thought that was known all over Scotland.

10 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Pretty sure we used to call the ice cream thing a ‘slider’.

A friend from up north had never heard of a ‘99’.  I thought that was known all over Scotland.

A slider was two single wafers and two scoops of ice cream.

Harry Potter
17 hours ago, Morgan said:

Dave Clunies boozer.  

Do you remember the Galloping Major, also in Rosé Street?

Aye Daves pub, dont remember the GM bud, 😕.

Samuel Camazzola

My folks still refer to Cameron Toll as SavaCentre or 'The Centre'. I think it's been Cameron Toll for 25+ years. 

44 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye Daves pub, dont remember the GM bud, 😕.

It was a downstairs boozer, Harold.

Almost opposite the Kenilworth.

Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It was a downstairs boozer, Harold.

Almost opposite the Kenilworth.

Was probably pished when in it lol, been in the Kenilworth.

Was always in westwoods (haymarket), Olivers, Scotts, mostly a friday night then stayed local

in corstorphine on a saturday, Harp, Oak , corstorphine inn.

Padrone della casa
13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Yep, a Black Man was a chocolate covered nougat wafer on the bottom, two scoops of plain ice cream in the middle and a single wafer on top.

That’s how I remember them from the Polar Ices van more than sixty odd years ago who also sold bongos that where a single scoop of ice cream on a stick dipped in chocolate.

Here's an official one - Getting an 'MOT' for your car? MOT stands for Ministry of Transport, which hasn't existed since 1970. The Ministry of Transport introduced the compulsory tests in 1960, but changed to the Department for the Environment and the Department for Transport which is what it is today I think.

MOT still exits as official government terminology for the tests, but the 'MOT'  that the letters stand for is long gone, effectively. 

54 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Apple shop is still Woolies.

😎

Burger King to me

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

My folks still refer to Cameron Toll as SavaCentre or 'The Centre'. I think it's been Cameron Toll for 25+ years. 

I still call it Save-a-centre

Others for me would be

the Picture House on Lothian Road is and always will be Century/Century 2000 

meeting anyone at the west end will always be at Frasers

12 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Burger King to me

I still call it Save-a-centre

Others for me would be

the Picture House on Lothian Road is and always will be Century/Century 2000 

meeting anyone at the west end will always be at Frasers

SavaCentre and Frasers for me.

The hotels at either end of Princes Street are still The Caley and the NB.  😁

Portable Badger
15 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

That’s my recollection of a BM as well. Chocolate nougat wafer on the bottom and a plain wafer on the top. That’s what I would be served at Luca’s when I ordered a BM.

People remembering Binns - what about ”Forsyth’s” department store on Princes Street - still have an old school scarf with a Forsyth’s label on it

Edited by Portable Badger
Sp

28 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

That’s my recollection of a BM as well. Chocolate nougat wafer on the bottom and a plain wafer on the top. That’s what I would be served at Luca’s when I ordered a BM.

People remembering Binns - what about ”Forsyth’s” department store on Princes Street - still have an old school scarf with a Forsyth’s label on it

Yes, Forsyths.

Or Aitken and Niven on George Street for school uniforms and rugby jerseys?

Portable Badger
40 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, Forsyths.

Or Aitken and Niven on George Street for school uniforms and rugby jerseys?

Didnt Aitken & Ni en pack up on George Street and open two smaller stores. I know one was in Blackhall but I can’t remember where the other one was

Surprised that no one has mentioned that well used description "fud", or am I just lowering the tone of the conversation.

Padrone della casa
23 minutes ago, Jeff said:

What is Robertson's the bar nowadays?

Funeral directors or something 

Lying empty.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

:rofl: How goes it Morgs? Hope you all well :thumbsup:

Not so bad, Marv.

Living in Edinburgh for the past 7 weeks, moving on in a fortnight. Not sure when we will be back in France.

How are you doing yourself?

3 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Didnt Aitken & Ni en pack up on George Street and open two smaller stores. I know one was in Blackhall but I can’t remember where the other one was

That rings a wee bell.

Padrona della casa
54 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ the broo.” “ the nab” “ the cooperation” 

The nab being the old National Assistance Board that handed out grants to the poorer members of society pre the current social security system.

58 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not so bad, Marv.

Living in Edinburgh for the past 7 weeks, moving on in a fortnight. Not sure when we will be back in France.

How are you doing yourself?

I'm alright. I'm visiting Edinburgh,  well Livingston to be precise on 16/8; just in time for our home leg in the Conference qualifier 😁

4 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

There was one on Falcon Road West, Morningside. It was demolished maybe 3 years ago.

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

What is Robertson's the bar nowadays?

Funeral directors or something 

Mind when it was The Green Tree. 

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ the broo.” “ the nab” “ the cooperation” 

Was the "broo" (or "buroo")  a uniquely Scottish way of saying "bureau"  ?    I've always wondered about that since the expression was in the context of picking up your unemployment benefit.

I P Knightley
On 26/07/2023 at 13:16, Lone Striker said:

I still describe any shop location which used to be a Woolworths  as Woolies.   Similar with Binns corner at the West End - it'll always be Binns corner to us oldies.

Miller & Carter as you come in from Queensferry - nah, its the Cramond Brig.

The Jade Chinese restaurant opposite the zoo - nah, its the Struan

The Binn's building has a big capital B carved in the corner, above the clock. If it's not B for Binn's then what is it? Of course it's the Binn's corner.

Anyway...

O-pal Fruits

Made to make your mouth water.

Oy!

I P Knightley
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Was the "broo" (or "buroo")  a uniquely Scottish way of saying "bureau"  ?    I've always wondered about that since the expression was in the context of picking up your unemployment benefit.

Oh, that's a good one. I hope you're right.

Lone Striker
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The Binn's building has a big capital B carved in the corner, above the clock. If it's not B for Binn's then what is it? Of course it's the Binn's corner.

Anyway...

O-pal Fruits

Made to make your mouth water.

Oy!

😀 Always  Opal Fruits. 👍  They can stick their Starbust up their ercce