St Johnstone vs The Famous Heart of Midlothian** official match day thread**

Bongo 1874

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Minutes into legs Mr E, that's the only thing pre season kickabouts are good for, don't go reading anything into these games too much, although I do think the league should start earlier as we're at a disadvantage of not having played a competitive game yet, and we've got a Euro qualifier coming up as our 3rd game into the season. 

Euro game is our 2nd! Should be:

St Johnstone

Rosenborg

Kilmarnock

Rosenborg 
Partick

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We'll see. Beni makes such a difference to our midfield i'd sooner start with him then take him off. Tagawa is expected to 'hit the ground running' so if he gets here today or tomorrow and gets a chance to do a bit if training then he'll play imo, our forward choices are a bit sub par as it stands

We've seen players come back from these injuries and look like they've never seen a football before though. We have a very easy start to the season compared to what it could have been. Need to seize the opportunity.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Clark Griswold

58 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

A ticketless St Johnstone fan has never happened, not once. 

All tongue in cheek. I'd be surprised if they even sell out their initial allocation at Tynie (yes I know we're in Perth on Saturday).

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

All tongue in cheek. I'd be surprised if they even sell out their initial allocation at Tynie (yes I know we're in Perth on Saturday).

Exactly! 

Mr Elwood P
29 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I don't think there will be initial allocations anymore at Tynecastle. Be there's your 650 tickets now GTF.

5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I had a guy in the breakfast room last week at 8.30pm……..I went in and told him it was evening time and not morning, he asked me if I was sure 🤣🤣🤣(he was 12 hours early for his breakfast)…..gen I sh*t you not.

:lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Match referee Steven McLean, handy for St Johnstone their manager is on the whistle 🙄

3 minutes ago, JamboMaddy said:

What are the chances of Beni starting?

I guess it depends if he had a niggle or was rested for the Leeds game. If he was rested he’ll be starting imo. Can always take him off if we’re coasting.  

I see that 9 St Johnstone players are injured. Surely they've no got the depth to replace that. 

Clark

Atkinson Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin Haring 

Oda                              Forrest

Shanks Tagawa

Hearts & Over 2.5 

NAP kids. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I see that 9 St Johnstone players are injured. Surely they've no got the depth to replace that. 

Clark

Devlin Haring 

Shanks Tagawa

Hearts & Over 2.5 

NAP kids. 

Cochrane suspended. 

Read they expect to have Carey and Drey Wright fit who were 2 of the 9. 

Still fancy us though. 

8 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Cochrane suspended. 

Read they expect to have Carey and Drey Wright fit who were 2 of the 9. 

Still fancy us though. 

Oh aye, Rowles for Alex then. 

You'd like to think so. We'll probably get beat by their reserves such is our nature and my betting success. 

17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Clark

Devlin Haring 

Shanks Tagawa

Hearts & Over 2.5 

NAP kids. 

Hearts 6/5 to win in 90 minutes (Skybet) which is very generous IMO but there isn’t much value drilling deep into o/u or handicaps on that game

3 away wins is my bet. 

Motherwell

Aberdeen

Hearts

12/1 SkyBet

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Oh aye, Rowles for Alex then. 

You'd like to think so. We'll probably get beat by their reserves such is our nature and my betting success. 

Kingsley for Alex surely ?

Rowles and Kent at CB

Edited by JimmyCant

On 31/07/2023 at 17:56, Toolbag said:

Hi - where’s the best place to park for the game? First trip with the lad so driving. 

You can park your car at the ground mate. They have a huge car park. Last time I took the car it was a 5er. A bit of a wait to get out after the game but nothing major

Toxteth O'Grady

They have terrible recent league cup

form and we’ve had terrible league form there for the last 10 years.

I expect a convincing 0-3 with goals from Halliday, Forest and Grant 😀

Ricardo Quaresma
27 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Wasnt going,junior talked me into it,so many dire results in perth..i hope that changes!!!

You forgot we won last time?

Unknown user
30 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I think I'm right in saying that big Zander hasn't lost a St Johnstone v Hearts game at McDiarmid, and he's played in his share!

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I think I'm right in saying that big Zander hasn't lost a St Johnstone v Hearts game at McDiarmid, and he's played in his share!

Well, until last time there, we hadn't won in perth for around a decade, so pretty safe to say, yes

We will win, I'm certain of it. Our squad should really cruise 3rd tbh. Let's hope we steer clear of injuries and our long term injured players return as good as they were before. 3 wins away from home all last season is fekn dire. Our present management team will improve on that. Christ if I was the manager I could improve on that!! Naismith has a winners mentality, looking forward to a more gung ho approach away from home against the teams we should be looking to rack up points against. Our two new front men will deliver. It's all positive!! 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Kingsley for Alex surely ?

Rowles and Kent at CB

Rowles can cause less damage at LB and was ok there when hes had to. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Rowles can cause less damage at LB and was ok there when hes had to. 

Unless Tagawa is confirmed in time, I would say it will be the same starting lineup from Sunday.

Ricardo Quaresma

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Nieuwenhof

Oda                                           Forrest / Vargas

Shankland

Tagawa

EDIT: Could be any 2 of Devlin Nieuwenhof or Haring at DM, not fussed

Think we'll be super careful with Beni, so I don't think we'll start him

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

7 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Clark

Devlin Nieuwenhof

Oda                                       Forrest / Vargas

Shankland

Tagawa

EDIT: Could be any 2 of Devlin Nieuwenhof or Haring at DM, not fussed

Think we'll be super careful with Beni, so I don't think we'll start him

-

Yeah, I think Tagawa has been signed to play in front of Shanks as a starter too.

If his highlights video is anything to go by, he should rip up the SPFL.

Ricardo Quaresma
13 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah, I think Tagawa has been signed to play in front of Shanks as a starter too.

If his highlights video is anything to go by, he should rip up the SPFL.

Can't wait, mate; can't ******* wait! :smuggy:

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Unless Tagawa is confirmed in time, I would say it will be the same starting lineup from Sunday.

Scary thought that, Grant and Forrest just didn’t work, especially with Kingsley not able to go outside of Grant. 

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Scary thought that, Grant and Forrest just didn’t work, especially with Kingsley not able to go outside of Grant. 

Is Beni injured ?

Japan Jambo
On 30/07/2023 at 00:17, JimmyCant said:

Hmmmm…… I’m expecting us to get right out of the blocks here and win comfortably.

This ought to be an away banker. Anything less than that would be hard to take, given our away form holding us back for so many years. This slow starting making it over the line, game too early and other excuses pish has to stop right here, because then we’ll start excusing it on Europe and injuries and officials and the weather and mental fatique and the pitch and all the other shite excuses Neilson used to trot out

Yup, agree with that Jimmy. Only a win is acceptable for me, particularly when you factor in the turmoil they are in too.

Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

No I'm talking about in general over the previous decade haha.

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I agree, He has to change it up a wee bit. 

Feeling this might be a bit like the opening league game of 2005 vs Kilmarnock . St Johnstone go ahead and then we absolutely batter them 

Luckies1874

What I hope to see:

Clark 

Haring  Beningame  Nieuwenhof

Oda  Shankland  Tagawa 

Bench:

McGovern 

Sibbick 

Neilson 

Devlin

Halliday 

Smith

Grant 

Forrest 

Boyce 

Still got:

Gordon

Halkett

Cochrane 

McKay 

Vargas

hmfc_liam06

I think it'll be the same starting line up from Sunday but with Tagawa replacing Forrest if he's signed in time.

Beni and Boyce making the bench.

The Apprentice

St Johnstone are in a complete mess. Big injury list, horrendous LC campaign, already question marks over Steven Maclean and many tipping them to go down as it’s been a steady decline since they won the cup double. Only one outcome here…

St Johnstone 1-0 Hearts

Nah in all seriousness, the only better opening fixture we could have hoped for would have been them at home given how poor they look. Massive opportunity to get off to a strong start.

Ok, my first one of the season!  Eeeeeeee!!

Zander

Nat Kent Kye Kingsley

Cam Haring

Oda Shanks Tagawa Forrest

Wee mixture of what I want and what I think.  The Hoff, I think we may be likely to bleed him in a little.  LW is a wee sticky one until Bazza back/Vargas in the door and up to speed.  I think being away from home, perhaps Grant could play as he can tuck in, but I'd rather we went for pace on each flank.  Run them.

May be a wee eye on Thursday too (play Beni and Boyce in the Euro game for example) with either selection or subs and we don't know who is carrying wee knock or who is ahead of who fitness wise etc.

On 31/07/2023 at 13:04, Mr Elwood P said:

We've seen players come back from these injuries and look like they've never seen a football before though. We have a very easy start to the season compared to what it could have been. Need to seize the opportunity.

Haring for instance

bobby bombscare

I'm going for a tight 2-1 for the hearts that should be 3 or 4-0.

All thanks to a sending off that isn't a sending off and a disallowed goal that shouldn't be disallowed to start the season off with the SFA reasserting their incompetence on the game.

2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

What I hope to see:

Clark 

Haring  Beningame  Nieuwenhof

Oda  Shankland  Tagawa 

Bench:

McGovern 

Sibbick 

Neilson 

Devlin

Halliday 

Smith

Grant 

Forrest 

Boyce 

Still got:

Gordon

Halkett

Cochrane 

McKay 

Vargas

Decent squad we now have

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Ok, my first one of the season!  Eeeeeeee!!

Zander

Nat Kent Kye Kingsley

Cam Haring

Oda Shanks Tagawa Forrest

Wee mixture of what I want and what I think.  The Hoff, I think we may be likely to bleed him in a little.  LW is a wee sticky one until Bazza back/Vargas in the door and up to speed.  I think being away from home, perhaps Grant could play as he can tuck in, but I'd rather we went for pace on each flank.  Run them.

May be a wee eye on Thursday too (play Beni and Boyce in the Euro game for example) with either selection or subs and we don't know who is carrying wee knock or who is ahead of who fitness wise etc.

I’d like to see Hoff start, it’s only St J and we will have most of the possession, Dev can replace him if needed, but that line up should be more the capable of getting a result. Hopefully get a look at Tagawa as well.

Luckies1874
29 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Decent squad we now have

Agree. If we can keep key players fit and if the new outfield signings hit the ground running and improve us then we have the 3rd strongest squad and should be finishing in 3rd. However these are fairly significant question marks currently so.....

31 minutes ago, sac said:

I’d like to see Hoff start, it’s only St J and we will have most of the possession, Dev can replace him if needed, but that line up should be more the capable of getting a result. Hopefully get a look at Tagawa as well.

Aye, I just wonder how much "sports science" for want of a better term will be used over the first couple weeks.  We have The Hoff, not played much, just arrived off longhaul, Tagawa the same, Vargas will be the same, then we have Boyce and Beni who need managed accordingly.

I think going to St Johnstone and running them might be the way to go, so Cammy and Forrest are in and Pete holds it together.  We also have Kingsley rather than Cochrane at LB, which is brill, great player, but perhaps a bit less "thrust" from deep (yikes!!!).

Duno.  Interesting to see how the 5 above are used in the next few games